Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Sad news        (Topic#25529)
nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
10-28-21 08:41 PM - Post#327474    

Sad news for Bison fans, HOF. Player from the 1950’s , Franklin “Ellis” Harley passed away on Wed morning Oct 27, 2021…. I consider myself among the fortunate Bucknell fans, I was able to see the great teams that Ellis played on , and to see some very good teams that came to the Davis , basketball back in the day, fond memories of my youth. Ellis acwas special part of Bucknell.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
10-29-21 11:19 AM - Post#327481    
    In response to nitlion

ELLIS HARLEY was a gentleman on and off the court, but a great basketball player on the first really good team Bucknell sported in the modern era, centered around 1960, coached by Ben Kribbs.

That team featured the record setting center Harold Danzig (records in scoring & rebounding), Jack Flanagan, Bones Erickson and two who stayed on for careers at Bucknell, Ellis in finance and Tommy Thompson in athletics.

Ellis played the "Bucknell style" of the day that produced winning teams every year, i.e. hold the ball, (no clock!), pass around the perimeter until a high %%% shot could be taken. It worked against all but the best teams (which included Temple, La Salle & St. Joe's of the Philly Big 5). If you came to Davis Gym in those days, you usually lost playing the Bison!

Rest in peace Ellis Harley.
Thanks for the memories.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
10-31-21 05:44 PM - Post#327523    
    In response to candyfan

Ellis is a pure Bucknellian by all definitions of Bucknell, he is the true spirit of Bucknell. A Bucknell basketball hall-of-famer for sure, but much more than that and the nicest guy with a gentle Bucknell spirit. Even though I am younger I am blessed to have gotten to know Ellis and his colleague Dick Skelton who passed away last year. They told me many inside stories of Bucknell that I will always treasure. I hope there are younger generations of Bucknellians who can represent the university like Ellis and Dick did.

DrBison 
Junior

Reg: 12-22-08
10-31-21 06:51 PM - Post#327526    
    In response to Paulie777

Ellis Harley was a great family man, a true gentleman, and a BU legend. His many contributions to the local community and BU included many years of dedicated and devoted volunteer service to the Bucknell Golf Club. He will be greatly missed. RIP Ellis.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
11-04-21 11:25 AM - Post#327688    
    In response to DrBison

Class act and ALWAYS the Gentleman. Sorry to hear the news

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:40 AM