Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: winning margin stats        (Topic#675)
The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
02-11-05 04:05 PM - Post#3916    

For what it's worth, here are the winning margins in the 16 games played so far among the Seven Dwarfs:

30, 19, 15, 10, 9, 9, 8, 5, 5, 5*, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1
(* indicates overtime)
So more than half the games have been decided by 5 points or less.

And here are the winning margins in Penn's 5 games:

24, 24, 23, 13, 8*

What this says to me, besides the obvious conclusion that Penn just might be a tiny bit better than the rest of the league, is that any game among the other seven is basically a toss-up.

A more sophisticated analysis would take home and away into account, and you certainly would expect Brown and Yale to have the edge now that they will be back home. I also suspect that Princeton will snap out of it soon, if they haven't already. But when spinning scenarios for Cornell or Brown to catch Penn, you have to not only assume that the Quakers will stumble twice against a lesser team, but also that the lesser team will suddenly elevate itself above its peers (and that Princeton will not return to form, except against Penn, of course). It's possible that one of those teams will come back, but I think it's much more likely that Princeton will finish ahead of Brown (or Cornell) than that Brown (or Cornell) will finish ahead of Penn.

(Another conclusion to be drawn from the winning-margin stats is that Columbia is the most variable team, since it was involved in both the 30-point and the 19-point games, losing to Cornell and defeating Dartmouth respectively.)

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: winning margin stats
02-11-05 04:13 PM - Post#3917    
    In response to The Lion King

Not only would Penn have to lose twice while either Cornell or Brown wins out, but then Penn would still have to lose in a playoff.

Anything's possible, but I'm feeling pretty good.

TXQuaker 
goober

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-10-05
02-11-05 04:24 PM - Post#3918    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Given that Cornell still has two against Penn, their league-tying scenario isn't as far-fetched.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-11-05 04:59 PM - Post#3919    
    In response to TXQuaker

Also Penn's average margin of victory in the last 8 games is just under 20 points. That's astounding. Is there any other team in the entire country that can say that?

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
02-11-05 05:02 PM - Post#3920    
    In response to TXQuaker

Personally, i think it is far-fetched. So was that comeback. but thats why they play the games...

Anyone who has watched Columbia multiple times would probably agree that they are the least consistent team in the league this year (maybe with Princeton in contention). At least I would.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
02-11-05 06:37 PM - Post#3921    
    In response to The Lion King

From Princeton's Cornell game preview:

Princeton has outscored its first five Ivy League opponents 237-207 in the first 35 minutes of games but has been outscored 60-28 in the last five minutes of regulation in those games.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.015 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:28 AM