Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Dartmouth 2        (Topic#26014)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-12-22 05:57 AM - Post#336151    

This isn't exactly a "must game," but things will get pretty uncomfortable without a win. Let's hope the Tigers' hot shooting carries over from their last game with Columbia. When the Splash Posse are all going, the team is very hard to guard.

I wouldn't mind an improvement on D, and it's not inconceivable that a light would go on and a few more stops per 100 possessions could be had, but I'm starting to get resigned to where this team is, 294th in the country. It still seems like more pressure on the ball and more going for deflections and interceptions might help, but it could be that that would compromise the team's defensive rebounding, which is one aspect that isn't terrible now.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-12-22 08:37 AM - Post#336152    
    In response to SRP

If by "must game" you mean a win avoids elimination I would agree. But with road games ahead vs.. Penn, Yale, Harvard and brown a home against Dartmouth creates expectations of winning. A loss hurts more than a win helps. To me this is a must win. I wonder if any 292 rated clubs ever won an Ivy title?

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
02-12-22 09:17 AM - Post#336156    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Princeton -7 O/U 140 1/2

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Dartmouth 2
02-12-22 05:47 PM - Post#336198    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

43-13?! What a start! Needless to say, that was our best start of the season against any team (even before the lead became ridiculous). In fact, that was pretty much the only good start for us despite being 16-5.

And it all started with DEFENSE. They set the pace by getting some stops for a change. The offense was slow to start but eventually arrived like an avalanche.

After the split last weekend without Mitch, it's clear that MH is finally getting on his guys for their weak D to start every game. Even Columbia hung around for awhile last week.

Let's TCB in the 2nd half.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
02-12-22 05:51 PM - Post#336199    
    In response to gokinsmen

Tigers hold the Big Green to 0.44 PPP in the first half, forcing the visitors into more turnovers (6) than made field goals (4).

Tigers are also rebounding 53% of their own misses, really getting to every loose ball

SRP 
Postdoc

02-12-22 06:00 PM - Post#336202    
    In response to welcometothejungle

test

SRP 
Postdoc

02-12-22 06:03 PM - Post#336204    
    In response to SRP

Great first half by Langborg on both sides of the ball. Always nice when you've tripled up the opponent for much of the half.

Liked the overall on-ball D, the little bit of full-court pressure, the deflections and steals, and the precise help D (aided by Dartmouth spacing not being quite right).

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Dartmouth 2
02-12-22 06:03 PM - Post#336205    
    In response to gokinsmen

Agree.

Never quite sure to buy into the analysis that the Tigers did not have the skill set to play defense. Not saying that they have great skill sets and height to play exceptional defense but great D is so much a function of focus, communication and EFFORT.

Remember the senior Spencer Weisz that played disappointingly non-conference until Pete Miller stepped up and said enough is enough and they played defense a much higher level.

It is one of my issues with Mitch regarding focus/effort on the defensive end.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Dartmouth 2
02-12-22 06:14 PM - Post#336207    
    In response to bradley

One problem was that they kept winning despite their terrible starts. Every postgame interview, they said they needed to get off to a better start. Okay, but it doesn't stick if you never pay the price. You just chalk it up to "we're a 2nd half team."

Even after losing to Yale, it was easy to say, "Can't win 'em all!" Especially against a good team like Yale. But after dropping 2 games and letting Yale take 1st place, maybe it's finally sinking in.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

02-12-22 06:18 PM - Post#336210    
    In response to gokinsmen

Playing our blowout bench lineup... with 14 minutes left in the 2nd half.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-12-22 06:21 PM - Post#336211    
    In response to gokinsmen

I do love a giant lead, especially when the team holds on to it rather than just letting the opponent slowly whittle away. Backups not looking too bad.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-12-22 06:44 PM - Post#336214    
    In response to gokinsmen

Good points but if you are going to beat Yale and Penn on the road, you need to dig in on the defensive end. Tigers have plenty of offense and they would lose some of the offensive if the team truly ramped up the defensive effort but makes it so much harder to win against good teams.

It should not take Pete Miller or losing against Cornell on the road in order to refocus. It is the primary responsibility of Mitch and his coaching staff along with the players.

One only has to look at how Carla teaches defensive fundamentals along with focus and communication to realize a difference. It is not like Carla has incredible athletic players although they are very good women athletes.

Let's see if Mitch and the team has learned something from today. This team has the ability to take it up another level but I am not completely sure.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Dartmouth 2
02-12-22 06:49 PM - Post#336215    
    In response to SRP

A really great win. Not because of the margin of victory, but the method of victory: defense first.

You'd never know it by the final score, but they actually started off the game 0-5 from 3. But they still had the lead and proceeded to make something like 10-14 from 3 after that slow start.

HUGE weekend coming up. We need to sweep - can't let Yale take both regular season games from us. We were down 17 at the half and still had a chance to tie/win in the final minute. Play some better defense to start the game and we just might win.

And Brown beat Cornell in a game the Big Red needed way more. So you can bet they'll bring it against us in Providence.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-12-22 06:55 PM - Post#336217    
    In response to bradley

Effort and technique indeed matter on D, and the announcers have mentioned in a couple of games that Langborg has really been working on it. But anyone who says that Ethan Wright, say, isn't trying hard enough or focusing enough when opponents are able to drive on him isn't really seeing the game. Maybe there's a footwork problem that an amateur like me can't see, but it mostly seems to be a problem of limited lateral quickness, height, and length.

Past Tiger teams under MH were much better on D, but they had guys like Hummer and Maddox and Cook and Stephens and even Morales. Weisz got the most out of his capabilities on D, but he was hardly a stopper.

The current travails on D may be partly attributable to so many players not having the same level of game experience due to the lost season. And some of it may have been due to tactical choices. But to suggest lack of focus or effort does not seem to describe the performances I've seen this season.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Dartmouth 2
02-12-22 07:09 PM - Post#336218    
    In response to SRP

I have to think being undersized is part of the challenge as well.

Small ball is more common than ever, but we have to be the smallest team in the league. 6-8, 217 Tosan is our C. 6-7, 210 Friberg is our PF. 6-4, 185 Langborg is our SF. No rim protector or long-armed wing. I'm surprised they rebound as well as they do.

Nonetheless, they need to show this level of effort from the opening tip. No one's expecting this team to shut down Yale (or even Brown) next week. Just stop letting the other team waltz to the hoop in the name of "foul avoidance."

SRP 
Postdoc

02-12-22 08:51 PM - Post#336241    
    In response to gokinsmen

KenPom does love a blowout over a decent team. Tigers are now ranked 131st overall, and the defense is now up to 265th. Offense has cracked the top 50 at 49th.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-12-22 10:47 PM - Post#336258    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
KenPom does love a blowout over a decent team. Tigers are now ranked 131st overall, and the defense is now up to 265th. Offense has cracked the top 50 at 49th.

This "decent" team is now 249 in KenPom, right?

SRP 
Postdoc

02-13-22 03:02 AM - Post#336272    
    In response to penn nation

Now they are.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-13-22 08:31 AM - Post#336277    
    In response to gokinsmen

Warm day in Princeton; drove up for lunch, a stroll around campus, and the game, which may turn out to be the last game I attend in Jadwin. Retirement and a move out west are pending.

Caught a bit of the wrestling match in Dillon. Now THAT is a raucous crowd!

Parking at Jadwin is even worse than it was in December. Ivy Lane is now closed so those lots are closed. We were fortunate to get almost the last parking spot at Jadwin's truncated lot.

The game was as all have described: finally some defense. Ethan Wright did a great job on Barry again as he did in Hanover. Rai was negated by sagging help on him whenever he touched the ball.

So how do we finish? The regular season title seems out of reach, but a spot in the tournament is almost a given. Whom do we play in the first round? Penn most likely, perhaps Brown, or even Yale if we limp to the wire in 4th place.

Personally, I would like to face Yale in the first round, and catch them overconfident and looking ahead.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-13-22 09:43 AM - Post#336281    
    In response to gokinsmen

10 to 15 minutes from Kellman would have certainly helped the defense over the course of the IL season but injuries are part of the game. As to being undersized, Carla's team is not bigger than other IL teams and certainly, far shorter than their non-conference opponents but technique, team defense and consistent intensity can overcome a lot -- yesterday was the first exception in quite some time for the women.

After watching a replay of the 1st half, the defensive intensity was by far the best of the season albeit against an offensively challenged team. Mitch has acknowledged that the team has gotten off poorly from the opening whistle but not last night.

What we saw last night is a winning formula against better teams in the IL as you can still win with great defense, i.e. Yale.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:31 PM