Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Holy Cross finally fires Brett Nelson        (Topic#27136)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-10-23 11:11 PM - Post#353676    

What was expected two weeks ago finally happened this evening, I.e. Coach Brett Nelson gone. Interesting that it was done at a time they would avoid most of the newscasts.

https://goholycross.com/news/2023/3/10/mens-b asket...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Holy Cross finally fires Brett Nelson
03-10-23 11:39 PM - Post#353677    
    In response to Bison137

We must be close to (or in) league-record territory with four coach terminations in one season (Bucknell, American, Army, Holy Cross) and possibly a fifth coming at Lafayette.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-10-23 11:45 PM - Post#353679    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

What a goofy claim in the Holy Cross release:

"...Holy Cross is located in the heart of one of the great basketball cities in the country."

Geographically dishonest, to say nothing of the fact that Bostonians generally care little about college basketball.

I mean, they're not referring to Worcester, are they?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-11-23 01:20 AM - Post#353680    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
What a goofy claim in the Holy Cross release:

"...Holy Cross is located in the heart of one of the great basketball cities in the country."

Geographically dishonest, to say nothing of the fact that Bostonians generally care little about college basketball.

I mean, they're not referring to Worcester, are they?

Believe it or not, I think they are referring to Worcester.

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
03-11-23 08:13 AM - Post#353683    
    In response to Bison137

Hahaha, and it's not even in the "heart" of Worcester, at least in my opinion. Yes, it's near the center of town, but it's a somewhat isolated enclave.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
03-11-23 08:36 AM - Post#353684    
    In response to res

I actually thought Jones might be left go at Boston U.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
03-11-23 10:34 AM - Post#353692    
    In response to bisonmania

• bisonmania Said:
I actually thought Jones might be left go at Boston U.

I had the same thought. Reed and DeChellis seem like the only two sure to be back next season.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-11-23 11:41 AM - Post#353694    
    In response to jkrun80

With all of the coaching changes (including a few that could easily still happen) it wasn’t just a one off this season, but that the overall quality of PL has been decreasing for a while.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-11-23 05:59 PM - Post#353749    
    In response to res

Used to live near Worchester and have attended many Bucknell games there. Worchester hasn't been a basketball town for over 30 years. Unfortunately for them, few of the Boston teams seem to want to schedule them so no one would ever link HC to Boston.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-11-23 11:11 PM - Post#353795    
    In response to HoleinOne

ESPN's "Coaching Carousel" site has this to say about the Holy Cross vacancy:

"Don't be surprised to see Holy Cross garner interest from bigger names than expected for its head coach opening. The Crusaders can offer a strong salary and sources have indicated Vermont's John Becker and Towson's Pat Skerry are among the candidates they could pursue."

That strikes me as hard to believe, particularly where Vermont's Becker is concerned. Is a move from the America East to the Patriot League a material step up in status? Sagarin ranks the America East #26 and Patriot #27.

With its great community support and winning tradition, I see Vermont as one of the mid-major gems, and can't imagine Becker leaving it for the Patriot League rather than waiting for a major conference opportunity.

By the way, the ESPN coaching carousel page, which is behind the ESPN+ paywall, has no discussion of the Bucknell opening yet.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-11-23 11:13 PM - Post#353797    
    In response to HoleinOne

• HoleinOne Said:
Used to live near Worchester

Is that how they spelled it back then?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-11-23 11:34 PM - Post#353805    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

"Don't be surprised to see Holy Cross garner interest from bigger names than expected for its head coach opening. The Crusaders can offer a strong salary and sources have indicated Vermont's John Becker and Towson's Pat Skerry are among the candidates they could pursue."

That strikes me as hard to believe, particularly where Vermont's Becker is concerned. Is a move from the America East to the Patriot League a material step up in status? Sagarin ranks the America East #26 and Patriot #27.

With its great community support and winning tradition, I see Vermont as one of the mid-major gems, and can't imagine Becker leaving it for the Patriot League rather than waiting for a major conference opportunity.

By the way, the ESPN coaching carousel page, which is behind the ESPN+ paywall, has no discussion of the Bucknell opening yet.

1. I wouldn’t be surprised if their source is the various posters on Crossports.

2. Becker is reportedly dating HC women’s head coach Maureen Magarity, who was divorced a few years ago from her husband, who was also her assistant coach. That could introduce several complications. On the one hand, it might give him a reason to consider the HC job. OTOH, it could create a very awkward situation if the head coaches of two of your most important sports are married to each other. What happens if one team is doing well and the other poorly?

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
03-12-23 09:44 AM - Post#353831    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

I saw that and thought the same thing. Why would he leave the dominant program in the AE to try rebuilding a struggling Holy Cross program? Vermont is also building a new basketball arena. Patrick Gym is a classic, but is outdated in today's NCAA.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.025 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:59 PM