Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Hot Seat Part 3: Should he stay or should he go now?
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-05-11 08:52 PM - Post#98937    

Seven years in, another MAAC tourney in the books.... Is it time to turn the page and end the Patsos era?

Should Loyola go change direction and install a new coach at Loyola?
Yes, it's time to turn the page.
No, Jimmy should come back for at least another season.
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 03-05-11 08:51 PM to 03-05-12 08:51 PM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-06-11 11:40 AM - Post#99070    

MAAC Tourny results under Patsos:

2011 – Q – (4) Saint Peter's 70, (5) Loyola 60
2010 – P – (8) Loyola 79, (9) Manhattan 94
2009 – P – (8) Loyola 68, (9) Canisius 74
2008 – Q – (4) Loyola 64, (5) Fairfield 59
2008 – S – (1) Siena 65, (4) Loyola 63
2007 – Q – (3) Loyola 76, (6) Fairfield 72
2007 – S – (2) Niagara 89, (3) Loyola 79
2006 – P – (6) Loyola 72, (9) Canisius 74
2005 – P – (6) Manhattan 88, (9) Loyola 67

Total Record: 2-7
Record as higher seed: 2-3
Record as lower seed: 0-4
Play in record: 0-4
Quarter record: 2-1
Semis record: 0-2

No Finals appearance.
No players named to All-Tourny team.

WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-07-11 02:07 PM - Post#99292    

And even Patsos himself says at this level, it's all about league play. So we should be satisfied if we avoid the play-in round, or should we expect to get the finals every once in a while, or at least the semis?

Personally I hope Towson chases JP and convinces him the CAA is a better place to be...
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-07-11 03:23 PM - Post#99314    

• WOFM Said:
And even Patsos himself says at this level, it's all about league play. So we should be satisfied if we avoid the play-in round, or should we expect to get the finals every once in a while, or at least the semis?

Personally I hope Towson chases JP and convinces him the CAA is a better place to be...

It is pretty amazing that Loyola has not had a coach leave for a bigger job since Skip Prosser.

Ellerbe and Guadio landed big jobs indirectly due to strange and tragic circumstances, respectively.
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-07-11 04:06 PM - Post#99326    

CAA a notch above the MAAC, but not sure the Towson job is a step up from Loyola.

Then again, with the new AD and the new arena coming, it might not be that hard to sell it.

Win-win for us, we'd lose JP and get a chance to improve, and it would likely result in more down years for TU! ;>)
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-07-11 04:31 PM - Post#99329    

Imagine what it would be like if we lived in alternative universe where the local sports media actually cared to follow the local programs and thus held the schools/coaches accountable?

Loyola basketball: Death by apathy.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-07-11 05:16 PM - Post#99336    

I've turned around on this. I would give him one more year. Though I have to say I wouldn't complain much if the AD went the other direction.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-07-11 05:56 PM - Post#99339    

• jdp 94 Said:
Total Record: 2-7
Record as higher seed: 2-3
Record as lower seed: 0-4
Play in record: 0-4
Quarter record: 2-1
Semis record: 0-2

No Finals appearance.
No players named to All-Tourny team.

A similar winning % to the immortal Scott Hicks who was 1-4 in the MAAC tourney.

loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
03-07-11 06:04 PM - Post#99342    

Basically it comes down to 2 schools of thought:

1) We are coming off of a decent season with alot of young talent and Patsos should be able to see what he can do with it.

2) He's had 7 years to win with his players and has not even made a tourney final, and at some point you have to move in a new direction.

I'm somewhere on the fence here because I like Patsos and what he has done for the school and think we could be really good next year, but at the same time I am tired of watch this team play so inconsistently and come up short in the big games and 7 or 8 years is a long time for a coach to be around and never produce anything other than mediocrity.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-07-11 06:07 PM - Post#99343    

• phillyhound Said:

A similar winning % to the immortal Scott Hicks who was 1-4 in the MAAC tourney.

I think the comparison ends there. Patsos at least has half of the job down... He can bring in talent. He just can't coach them well enough for them to improve and win. Back with Hicks we were bringing in second-team all Toronto (suburbs, not city) guys who didn't improve.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-07-11 06:12 PM - Post#99345    

• loco09 Said:
Basically it comes down to 2 schools of thought:

1) We are coming off of a decent season with alot of young talent and Patsos should be able to see what he can do with it.

2) He's had 7 years to win with his players and has not even made a tourney final, and at some point you have to move in a new direction.

I'm somewhere on the fence here because I like Patsos and what he has done for the school and think we could be really good next year, but at the same time I am tired of watch this team play so inconsistently and come up short in the big games and 7 or 8 years is a long time for a coach to be around and never produce anything other than mediocrity.

I think this is a pretty good summary. The only thing I would add is most coaching hires fail. We have a new young AD who has never had to hire high-profile before, and we have no idea how he will do. That uncertainty is enough to tip the scale for me right now, though the leash is getting really short.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-07-11 06:30 PM - Post#99348    

• Lou Said:
  • phillyhound Said:

I think the comparison ends there. Patsos at least has half of the job down... He can bring in talent. He just can't coach them well enough for them to improve and win. Back with Hicks we were bringing in second-team all Toronto (suburbs, not city) guys who didn't improve.

True. But to be fair to suburban Toronto, without Michael Tuck, Patsos would be 0-7 in the MAAC tourny all-time.
greyhound
Freshman
Posts 31
03-07-11 11:57 PM - Post#99403    

Let's take it easy on our fellow alums. Michael Tuck and Shane James are probably the two best recruits Hicks had...and they're above all else, they are both great kids.

If Jimmy was to leave, what about Gaudio returning?
baltimore baller
Freshman
Posts 26
03-08-11 12:14 AM - Post#99406    

Please....I was at the St. Peter's-Loyola game. St. peter's played terrific ball. We couldn't score to save our lives. No coach can play the game for his team. We came within 3 down the stretch, but on-the-court player decisions put a halt to a possible comeback.

St. Peter's dominated against Iona in the final, which is no great surprise to anyone in Webster Arena on Saturday night. Had you seen the quarterfinals on Saturday night, you would easily have grasped that the four St. Peter's seniors on the floor made them the obvious bet for champs.

That said, had we beat them on Saturday, I think we would have competed and probably beaten Iona in the Championship game.

Onwards and Upwards.
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-08-11 08:57 AM - Post#99428    

Balt Baller, well said, all the players were responsible, they all did good and bad things, rudolph great year, was too impatient, olson slowed samuels and jenkins down defensively but has to shoot more, drummond just thinks about scoring, several ill advised possessions, etherly and walker too many easy shots missed,and how about passing the ball out to hall cormier or olson when they are wide open, brooks can't catch, it was fun, keep the coach
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-08-11 09:39 AM - Post#99430    

• baltimore baller Said:
We came within 3 down the stretch, but on-the-court player decisions put a halt to a possible comeback.

Player decisions?? Wasn't that when JP decided to get his momentum killer technical?

I might be off on the timing, but I know it killed one of our few runs in the second half.

WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-08-11 09:48 AM - Post#99434    

All players will make mistakes and/or have bad games, but when you see trends develop and sustain themselves over 7 years, it’s time to look at the coach.

If this were JP’s second or third year, I could look at all the positives mentioned and be willing to say, you know what, St Peter’s just brought their A game this weekend and they were gonna win no matter what, and I could walk away more content about the future.

But I don’t like what I see from JP in-game and the resulting consistent inconsistency. I also have concerns off the court with how he seems to treat his players, but have to admit that’s just a gut feel cause no way for those of us outside the program to truly know what goes on behind closed doors, or how the kids collectively feel about him. But just too many mysterious benchings for me.

I do share the concerns about the new AD and whether or not his background is ideal for being the right guy to bring in a better coach. BTW, Dino is happy working for ESPN, no way he’d consider coming back to Evergreen.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-08-11 11:21 AM - Post#99454    

• greyhound Said:
Let's take it easy on our fellow alums. Michael Tuck and Shane James are probably the two best recruits Hicks had...and they're above all else, they are both great kids.

I was praising Tuck. He was the glue that kept those teams together during the two Gerald Brown seasons.

Shane James was also a tremendous asset to the early Patsos era teams.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-08-11 11:34 AM - Post#99459    

• baltimore baller Said:
Please....I was at the St. Peter's-Loyola game. St. peter's played terrific ball. We couldn't score to save our lives. No coach can play the game for his team. We came within 3 down the stretch, but on-the-court player decisions put a halt to a possible comeback.

St. Peter's dominated against Iona in the final, which is no great surprise to anyone in Webster Arena on Saturday night. Had you seen the quarterfinals on Saturday night, you would easily have grasped that the four St. Peter's seniors on the floor made them the obvious bet for champs.

That said, had we beat them on Saturday, I think we would have competed and probably beaten Iona in the Championship game.

Onwards and Upwards.

St Peter's did not play terrific ball vs Loyola. They played really good defense and we made no strategic changes to try and counter what they were throwing at us. They were almost as much a disaster on offense as we were.

I'm sorry, but to say you walked out of that arena thinking St Peter's were the clear favorite to win the MAAC on Saturday is borderline delusional.

I really wish the friends and family of JP would offer a little more insight on why Patsos is such a great coach beyond blaming everyone else but Jimmy for the program's lack of success.

jdubs
Freshman
Posts 90
03-08-11 12:19 PM - Post#99473    

some other great Scott Hicks recruits:

Charlie Bell
Josko
Sean Corrigan
Jim Chivers
Linton Hinds

too bad a rock could've coached those teams better
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-08-11 01:03 PM - Post#99480    

• baltimore baller Said:

Onwards and Upwards.

Beaten Iona? Are you out of your mind, Patsos can't even beat Manhattan in the MAAC tourney? And Manhattan is at least cutting ties with their coach.

MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-08-11 05:18 PM - Post#99539    

Was John Reimold a Hicks or Gaudio recruit?
baltimore baller
Freshman
Posts 26
03-08-11 06:15 PM - Post#99549    

You folks are way too negative. The only team to beat us twice this season is Rider. We split or swept all other teams. And, if you were at the game you would know that Jimmy's technical was completely unwarranted. He did nothing more than complain about a call. No swearing, no jumping up and down, no leaving the coaching box. He was actually quite calm throughout the entire game.

We lost momentum because Rudolph took an ill-advised 3-pointer, which he was cautioned not to do all season long. He is a senior, so I won't blame him for the impulse, but it was not his shot to take.

We lost to the eventual tourney champs, who had 5 seniors in the starting lineup. Period. Let's all chill out and see how things shape up next season when we have nearly all of our own players returning.
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-08-11 06:43 PM - Post#99553    

• baltimore baller Said:
when we have nearly all of our own players returning.

Let's hope so, but I'm always gonna wonder who the next guy to quietly "leave the team" is gonna be....maybe Brooks, maybe Cormier??

And remember, even those of us with less confidence in JP still care enough about this team and this program to be out on this board, and we all want them to succeed, even if we might disagree on the best path to take to get there.
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-08-11 09:17 PM - Post#99625    

brooks can't play does not matter
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-08-11 09:48 PM - Post#99653    

• MacDog Said:
Was John Reimold a Hicks or Gaudio recruit?

Reimold was a Gaudio recruit, but was at Loyola for Hick's first year. I believe Hicks wouldn't let him out of his LOI and convinced him to come. Transferred to Bowling Green and had a decent career, but looked like he could be a star his freshman year.
bigb
Freshman
Posts 25
03-09-11 11:04 PM - Post#99985    

I've been there for 60% of the home games Loyola has played during the Patsos era. I have seen very little improvement in his coaching capability during that tenure. He still substitutes like he's ADHD-you make a wrong move and next whistle you are out. He has no feel for the flow of the game. His teams never come out ready to play. Rarely does he make an in-game adjustment. His offense is terrible, and players do not improve year to year. Finally, he doesn't bring the students in. Is that his fault? Maybe not, but part of that is the mediocre teams he trots out there. He does recruit pretty well as his teams rarely are overmatched talent wise, at least in the league.

Bottom line, he's taken the team from terrible to average; but I've been to maybe 3 or 5 games out of 50 that I've walked away saying "Jimmy coached well tonight." If you talk to the boosters, he's already gone.
loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
03-10-11 08:16 AM - Post#100000    

Its clear that you either like Jimmy or you absolutely hate him and want him gone. As far as boosters saying hes gone. First, I am not sure of his contract but I doubt we have the type of donors that are willing to lay down cash to buy out the remaining years. Secondly, if he is in fact gone they need to make the move now rather than wait until May or June so the process can begin.

wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-10-11 09:30 AM - Post#100006    

he is staying, no way they will eat two years, he calmed down this year, made good decisions like exiting JB, team was inexperienced on a whole , forcing it in tournament, Rudolph had a good year but took bad shots against st peters and didn't let the game come to him, you have a booster on this board who doesn't know so i wonder who your inside booster sources are
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-10-11 10:14 AM - Post#100010    

Agree with everything bigb says about JP, but if he indeed has two years left then I agree with wespearl, he's not going anywhere unless he initiates it. No way Loyola can afford even a minimal buyout.

I don’t know about being “calmed down” but I do agree we have a nucleus of good young talent, enough to compete for a MAAC title next year. At the very least, if we’re sitting here a year from now hoping to back into a 5 or 6 seed, I think even his supporters would then start to see the light…

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-10-11 12:00 PM - Post#100027    

• loco09 Said:
Its clear that you either like Jimmy or you absolutely hate him and want him gone.

I very much like Jimmy and will be forever thankful to him from raising the program from the dead. He was the guy to get the program from point A to point B.

He just not the guy to get us to the next level. Seven years has proven as much.
greyhound
Freshman
Posts 31
03-10-11 03:11 PM - Post#100080    

I have a few friends that are boosters at Loyola and few that are boosters at Maryland. Both groups of boosters know each other and keep in contact quite frequently. I have heard from both groups of boosters what bigb stated early regarding Patsos' tenure.

Not even making it to the MAAC championship game is unacceptable over a 7 year period. Back in 2007-2008, when they were almost a lock to win the league, they blew a 17 point lead to Sienna in the semis...that's the closest the team has gotten.

I just feel that as a Jesuit school located in a talent filled, basketball loving city, Loyola is a sleeping giant. I really think it's possible that if Loyola was to get a young and hungry coach in here, not just using Loyola as a stepping stone, with an even-keeled demeanor and the ability to recruit locally....the sky would be the limit for the program.

It would take time but there's no reason Loyola can't compete with other Jesuit universities like St. Joe's, Creighton, etc. And eventually competing with Xavier, Marquette, and possibly even Georgetown.
loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
03-10-11 05:36 PM - Post#100129    

Like I said if these boosters are correct and Jimmy's days are numbered they need to make the move so the search can start as early as the final four. I'm not sure of many candidates out there i dont know if we would go with a hot assistant or with a has been head coach. Of course there is always the high school coaches as well from the Bmore area.

loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
03-10-11 11:08 PM - Post#100165    

Some posters on the Fairfield board really want Patsos gone. Im not sure why a Fairfield fan would be concerned if Jimmy stays or goes.

wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-11-11 08:00 AM - Post#100189    

loco09, you are as locked into the program as anyone, you are very involved you think you would know, he isn't going anywhere
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-11-11 08:06 AM - Post#100191    

As soon as another major D1 school on the east coast has an assistant job available, Patsos will probably leave on his own anyways.
bigb
Freshman
Posts 25
03-11-11 10:53 AM - Post#100209    

He may possibly take another job as an assistant, but I do not see him taking a substantial cut in pay to do so. He also returns a solid core of talent. He has calmed down at least with his sideline antics. I would argue though that his substitution pattern is the same from day 1 of his tenure to today.

I'm not sure of his contract, what options Loyola has to buy him out; but I know that he's on very thin ice. I personally think Loyola would do better severing ties especially if they can upgrade. I am not sure he would have interest, but Loyola should consider making a strong run at Pete Gillen. There are ties to the school, its a small jesuit school in a mid size city (see Xavier), and word is that he's interested in getting back into coaching. Not sure Loyola is high profile enough, but it would be a major coup if Loyola could land a guy like him.
greyhound
Freshman
Posts 31
03-11-11 06:14 PM - Post#100271    

Pete Gillen? Are you kidding me? That guy, and his toupee, sucked at UVA. He's also old as $h!t. Why would you bring a coach back to the sidelines after a 6 year departure? Honestly, Pete Gillen is the worst suggestion you could possibly give for a replacement to Patsos.

If Patsos does go, we don't necessarily need someone from another Jesuit or Catholic University...just somebody on the younger side that wants to put in the 70-90 hours per week to turn Loyola around.
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-11-11 07:41 PM - Post#100275    

stay the course
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-11-11 10:13 PM - Post#100293    

• wespearl Said:
stay the course

...thousand points of light...
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-12-11 10:18 AM - Post#100332    

I was at Bucknell-Lafayette game last night, sat about twenty feet away from the Bucknell bench. What a pleasure it was watching Dave Paulsen work a game and COACH his kids. Everything Patsos isn’t, this guy is.

I know the Patriot League is not the MAAC, but this is the kind of coach we need: a teacher of basketball who appreciates the ideal of student-athlete. Instead we have a crazed lunatic who recruits well.

As for Pete Gillen, that would not be much different than going after Lefty Dreisell.

But wespearl is right, if he has two years left, he’s going to have to leave on his own, thin ice or not. I doubt he’ll chase an assistant job again, but I am sure he’d consider another DI job that he thinks is better. For some bizarre reason, the media still acts like he’s doing a good job, so let’s hope someone believes the hype (Towson, can you hear me??) and “steals” him away….

greyhound
Freshman
Posts 31
03-12-11 03:42 PM - Post#100358    

Why would you want to bring in someone like Lefty or Pete Gillen? Can someone please explain.
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-12-11 06:49 PM - Post#100402    

lefty too old,
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-12-11 07:18 PM - Post#100446    

Guess I needed to add a smiley sarcastic face....I do NOT want Gillen OR Lefty. Point being Gillen is an old has been/barely ever was.

Pretty sure Lefty is not looking to get back in the bizness.....

bigb
Freshman
Posts 25
03-18-11 08:51 AM - Post#101736    

Tough to call a guy whose been to the final 4 a "never was." He also was highly successful at Xavier. UVA he didn't do that well, but you tell me who has in the last 20 years? The guy can flat out coach and is light years better than Patsos, but that's fine another year of meh...sounds awesome.
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-18-11 09:39 PM - Post#101883    

I said "barely ever was" not "never was".

And when was Gillen in a Final Four???

But I would agree he'd be "better than Patsos", but that's a pretty long list.....
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-19-11 09:56 AM - Post#101905    

Gillen speaks a good game but he was horrible at uva, stick with JIMMY, it is up to players to work hard and perform, talent has been average on the team for a while, next year will be deeper better and older, less selfish, JB was a terrible influence on team, no defense, took bad shots, and got minutes when he shouldn't have, I do fault coach for keeping him on team as long as he did but he didn't have that much talent to work with
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-19-11 11:49 AM - Post#101917    

The talent is there? We had 1 kid on an All MAAC team. Iona, Rider, and Fairfield all return more talent.
bigb
Freshman
Posts 25
03-20-11 10:29 AM - Post#101997    

Guess I was thinkin that God Shamgod Providence team was in the final 4 but maybe it was the elite 8.

I think the talent is there whether they play up to their ability is a totally different question. I'm also skeptical on Jimmy developing that talent.

I'm in the dump Jimmy camp. I don't see it. Frankly, he has shown marginal improvement as a coach. His offense is terrible. His players do not improve. His substitution pattern is putrid. He has had 7 years, and has shown very little. If he makes it through the summer, I will be surprised; but he will be on extremely thin ice.

wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-20-11 12:17 PM - Post#102007    

we were as talented as st peters fairfield iona rider, we played bad agaisnt st peters third game, team will be better, more experienced, we return everyone execept one player, winbush has been out for two years mostly if he can contribute, back up etherly and walker, drummomd hall cormier at shooting guard is okay, drummond also at the three, olson can play point on offense two and three on defense
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-20-11 03:59 PM - Post#102051    

• wespearl Said:
we were as talented as st peters fairfield iona rider, we played bad agaisnt st peters third game, team will be better, more experienced, we return everyone execept one player, winbush has been out for two years mostly if he can contribute, back up etherly and walker, drummomd hall cormier at shooting guard is okay, drummond also at the three, olson can play point on offense two and three on defense

You want to blame the players, not the coach, for on court performance - yet these kids, according to you, are as talented as the best teams in the conference.

Seems like a contradiction to me. If players are talented and don't perform up to expectation, it's obviously the coach's fault.
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-20-11 08:15 PM - Post#102072    

we are close, they just need to get it done, talent is pretty good, inexperienced, when only one team gets in it is tough, next year we will have a better chance, getting rid of coach will set us back
LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-20-11 08:48 PM - Post#102075    

are you new to this team wespearl?

Last year (Brett Harvey's senior year) was supposed to be our best year because of all the "talent" we had... then this year was also supposed to be another great year with all the "talent" we had and the new "talent" coming in..

This talent just is not as good as you think, bottom line. It's been the same story for the past 4 years.. time for a change..
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-20-11 10:08 PM - Post#102080    

if talent hasn't been that good how can you get on coach all the time, the school is small, we have a good core group coming back, walker etherly olson drummond cormier, winbush if healthy, hall, year before harvey got hurt was ineffective the last two months of season, Barney was mia , winbush was hurt,
Brian
Senior
Posts 300
03-21-11 09:16 AM - Post#102099    

wespearl - I don't know how long you've been following the team. But I've been where you are. I kept thinking "we bring back good talent", "injuries hurt us", "if only ______". The problem is, none of those things change. I agree with you that this team has talent. I thought they were probably the most talented we've had since the Brown/Tuck/Israel senior team. But players just haven't gotten better as they stay. The offense has not developed into something I would call an offense. The play has remained inconsistent from game to game.

I've been a Patsos supporter. And I'll forever be thankful for what he did to take us from laughing stock to where we are now. But I just don't think he's going to get us from where we are now to where we want to be. I think there's been a fear to make a move, looking at it as "it could be worse" instead of "it could get better".

Brian
Senior
Posts 300
03-21-11 09:22 AM - Post#102100    

By the way, anyone catch the Temple - San Diego St. game this weekend? Temple used the Loyola offense very effectively to give that game back to SDSU.
wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-21-11 09:32 AM - Post#102101    

3 years
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-21-11 09:42 AM - Post#102102    

• wespearl Said:
3 years

But will you care after your boy graduates!
Brian
Senior
Posts 300
03-21-11 11:08 AM - Post#102109    

Hey it only took you 17 years to stop caring and that lasted all of 2 months. Every time you think you're out, they suck you back in!
Hounds 05
Freshman
Posts 56
03-21-11 04:57 PM - Post#102138    

It amazes (and pleases) me to no end that there is a regular Loyola basketball hoops board with consistent chatter going on. We haven't been relevant in 17 years, and even that, was a simple birth to the Tournament and 1st round loss.

I love the optimism of the 'we are close' arguements, haha they really funny. Close to what?

However I won't be negative. I'd like nothing more than for Loyola to become a consistent winner. When I mention to my friends there is a 'Hounds board that I check regularly they are stunned, it's great.

WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-21-11 09:51 PM - Post#102182    

• jdp 94 Said:
  • wespearl Said:
3 years

But will you care after your boy graduates!

jdp94, you're uncovered the secret behind the wespearl optimism!

I've been following the team since the '94 "breakthrough", which was when we first deluded ourselves into thinking we mattered. And I have attended games throughout the Patsos "era". Yes, this is/was as talented a team as Patsos has had, but the coaching has not improved along with the players.

At first I thought Patsos just needed time to develop his coaching chops to go along with his obvious recruiting skills. But 7 years of same old same old is enough. To me, the guy just can't coach 'em up - period. To simply blame it all on Barney just doesn't satisfy me, especially since JB never suited up after Dec.

Maybe if JP got himself some quality X/O's bench coaches, he could make it work, but if that hasn't happened yet, when will it??

I've been trying to dump JP for over 2 years now, and sadly, looks like I need to shift that over to he lax field as well....bad loss to Denver at home followed up by an even badder loss to AF, unacceptable! This is what we get for the $62M investment??

LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-21-11 10:48 PM - Post#102189    

Our lacrosse program got buried when we didn't get invited to join the Big East when it formed a lacrosse conference 2 years ago... ECAC isn't what it used to be and never will be.. we will continue to lose recruits to the ACC/Big East... the loss to Air Force is a disgrace for a once proud program.

Picked up an inside lacrosse magazine this fall.. their big recruiting issue... of the top 100 recruits, loyola got 1 of them.. #93... in a spot like lacrosse when there's maybe 60 teams.. that can't happen for a "top 20" program

one of the biggest misconceptions, especially amongst students, is that a top 20 ranking in lacrosse is comparable to a top 20 ranking in men's hoops... maybe the top 7 or 8 in lacrosse would be equivalent to the top 25 in hoops.

sad that now even for lacrosse we'll have to rely on what seems to be a miracle run in the conference tourney to make it back to the ncaas

but i digress...

wespearl
Freshman
Posts 61
03-22-11 10:20 AM - Post#102207    

Lacrosse is a great sport but you are right not that many schools have programs so it is misleading
WOFM
Freshman
Posts 92
03-22-11 03:38 PM - Post#102219    

Cooley to be hired by Providence after only 5 years at Fairfield.

Jimmy has had 7 years and the best he could parlay that into was a rumored offer to return to being an assistast.....
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-22-11 11:16 PM - Post#102235    

• Brian Said:
Hey it only took you 17 years to stop caring and that lasted all of 2 months. Every time you think you're out, they suck you back in!

I'm a sucker for a four game winning streak.
greyhound
Freshman
Posts 31
03-23-11 01:52 PM - Post#102248    

The MAAC is probably the best conference, other than maybe the CAA, to use as a stepping stone to reach the big time level coaching ranks.
Jimmy Valvano - Iona
Skip - Wake Forest
John Beilein - Canisius
Cooley - Providence
All you need is a few 20 win seasons and you're almost a lock for a big time offer.
MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-23-11 03:14 PM - Post#102251    

Hewitt to Siena
Fraschilla to St. John's

there are tons.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-23-11 06:24 PM - Post#102258    

I'm sure that ST Peter's coach will be going somewhere else shortly. Look what he has done there given how little he has to work with.

Meanwhile on Evergreen...
maacballer
Sophomore
Posts 160
03-23-11 09:52 PM - Post#102264    

frustrated with results the last few years but do see improvement with Loyola this year, like returnees and hopefully additions will be ready to help
Scott
Sophomore
Posts 144
03-23-11 10:09 PM - Post#102265    

The Missouri Valley has really produced a lot of coaches that moved on to larger programs in the last 10 years or so:

Bruce Weber-So Ill to Illinois
Matt Painter-So Ill to Purdue
Dana Altman-Creighton to Oregon
Keno Davis-Drake to Providence
Mark Turgeon-Wichita State to Texas A+M
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-25-11 03:54 PM - Post#102366    

Anyone want to bring up how much smarter Cooley became after he hired a certain assistant, and how it might relate to our conversation?
Jesus loves me.

loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
03-25-11 04:32 PM - Post#102371    

Surprisingly though Blaney was never even mentioned to get the job after Cooley. I always thought the team really suffered from a x and o strategy perspective after he left.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-25-11 04:49 PM - Post#102372    

I think Bob Simon has rank on him, and there is only going to be one internal candidate. So Blaney was in a tough position to go for it if he wanted it.

Agreed Loyola suffered without him.
Jesus loves me.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:22 AM