Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Around the Patriot League 2019-20
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-01-19 11:36 PM - Post#285498    

Holy Cross starting PG Caleb Green has entered the transfer portal. I'm not sure if this means he is definitely gone, however, as he could just be exploring his options while he waits to see who the new coach will be. That decision should be announced within about two weeks. (Note: July 11-14 is a big recruiting period, so it would make sense for HC to make a decision within 10 days.)

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-02-19 12:05 AM - Post#285499    

In addition to Caleb Green, here are the other known PL transfers:

American: Starting forward Sam Iorio, a rising junior, has transferred to South Alabama.

Boston U: Starting forward Tyler Scanan, a rising senior, is in the portal, but has not yet made a decision. Presumably he will be a graduate transfer with immediate eligibility.

Boston U: Jordan Guest, a rising soph who played a lot of minutes, is in the portal. He was suspended the last five weeks of the season and was not expected back.

Bucknell: We all know that Nate Sestina could not return for a 5th year and ended up at Kentucky.

Lafayette: Auston Evans, a 5th year SF who played a lot as a soph before missing his junior year due to injury and then rarely playing this year, is leaving for Drury University. Doesn't really affect LC.

Lehigh; Pat Andree, a rising senior who started at PF for LU for the last two years, has gone to NC State as a graduate transfer.

Lehigh: Caleb Bennett, a rising junior who averaged about 20 mpg the past two years at the two and the three - and who would likely have started this year - has transferred to Missouri Western, near his home. He missed the last four weeks of this season with an injury.

Navy: Josiah Strong, a rising soph PG/SG, who looked like a likely starter, has transferred to Iowa Western Community College. He averaged 13 mpg over the last month of the season, backing up graduating Hassan Abdullah.

Navy: Danny Ogele, a rising junior PF, played a lot the first half of the year but then saw his minutes dwindle. He is in the portal but no destination has been announced.

Navy: Isaiah Burnett, a rising junior wing, played a lot the first half of the year but much less the second half. Transferring to Stonehill in Mass.

In addition to the above, three players who rarely played are also leaving: Hugh Baxter (Colgate PF), Kyle Marion (Navy CG), and Jaylon Terrell (Navy SG).

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-02-19 05:25 PM - Post#285531    

• Bison137 Said:

Boston U: Starting forward Tyler Scanan, a rising senior, is in the portal, but has not yet made a decision. Presumably he will be a graduate transfer with immediate eligibility.

Scanlon to Belmont. I was expecting a somewhat better school.

Bison7882
Junior
Posts 253
Bison7882
07-03-19 10:42 AM - Post#285547    

It looks like Holy Cross has its new coach: Brett Nelson, the Associate Head Coach at Marquette since 2017.

I wonder whether Caleb Green will change his mind and stay. I suspect no more Princeton Offense at HC.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
07-03-19 10:56 AM - Post#285548    

Next stop? The Big East!
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-03-19 12:06 PM - Post#285550    

Not too long ago, HC hired another Associate Head Coach from a big midwestern Catholic school who had no head coaching experience at any level. That coach didn't recruit much in the Northeast and didn't have to worry much about the players' academics. That coach was Sean Kearney. Hopefully this hire will work out just as well, although I suspect it will be a bit better.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
07-03-19 02:49 PM - Post#285559    

• Bison137 Said:
Not too long ago, HC hired another Associate Head Coach from a big midwestern Catholic school who had no head coaching experience at any level. That coach didn't recruit much in the Northeast and didn't have to worry much about the players' academics. That coach was Sean Kearney. Hopefully this hire will work out just as well, although I suspect it will be a bit better.

I wonder why more schools don't follow the D3 head coach to D1 head coach model that has served Bucknell so well. It is successful and must cost less money than hiring from major programs.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-04-19 08:50 PM - Post#285613    

• Bison137 Said:
Holy Cross starting PG Caleb Green has entered the transfer portal. I'm not sure if this means he is definitely gone, however, as he could just be exploring his options while he waits to see who the new coach will be. That decision should be announced within about two weeks. (Note: July 11-14 is a big recruiting period, so it would make sense for HC to make a decision within 10 days.)

HC starting forward Jacob Grandison has now entered the transfer portal. He started every game the past 1.5 years. Caleb Green and Grandison were the top two Crusaders in minutes played.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
07-04-19 09:12 PM - Post#285615    

Some would argue we’ve gotten lucky too.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
07-05-19 08:16 AM - Post#285622    

• HuskyColonial Said:
Some would argue we’ve gotten lucky too.

Husky, I understand the sentiment. That being said, Bucknell has hired highly successful coaches with head coaching experience. These coaches have continued to be successful against higher level competition.

Has Bucknell been lucky? Sure luck plays into any new hire at any level, but you can tilt the scales in your favor by hiring quality, successful people who can be expected to continue to have success. In short, either you can coach or you can't coach. Bucknell's formula works.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-04-19 09:51 PM - Post#286731    

Sounds like Loyola may have landed a difference maker:

"Tavaras Hardy has a good one coming into Loyola (Md): Skilled 6-11 freshman Santi Aldama led Spain to title and was MVP at the FIBA U18 European Championships in Greece. Led all players in efficiency, had a plus-minus of +141, averaged 18 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 2.3 bpg."

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 158169562...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-04-19 09:56 PM - Post#286732    

Loyola also has another incoming freshman who played for the Spanish championship team. Both of these players will be on this year's Loyola team.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
08-05-19 07:33 AM - Post#286736    

• Bison137 Said:

"Tavaras Hardy has a good one coming into Loyola (Md): Skilled 6-11 freshman Santi Aldama led Spain to title and was MVP at the FIBA U18 European Championships in Greece. Led all players in efficiency, had a plus-minus of +141, averaged 18 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 2.3 bpg."

That's great. I love seeing good PL games.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-10-19 05:04 PM - Post#286879    

• Bison137 Said:
Loyola also has another incoming freshman who played for the Spanish championship team. Both of these players will be on this year's Loyola team.

This article has Loyola with one of the top midmajor recruiting classes in the nation. Here is a comment about the center from Spain:

"Now, Simovic is on Tavaras Hardy’s staff at Loyola (MD) and is once again making headway on the international recruiting trail. Landing Aldama, who just won MVP at the FIBA U18 European Championships, was perhaps the biggest heist of the 2019 cycle. As Evan Daniels of 247Sports wrote, “there are very few programs nationally which would turn down a talent like Aldama so the fact he will be playing college basketball in the Patriot League was a constant talking point amongst NBA scouts and college coaches.” He’s incredibly skilled for his size, able to pass, handle, and shoot the ball and protect the rim. Aldama could be an NBA prospect down the line and should be one of the most impressive mid-major freshmen in the country."

https://cbbcentral.com/2019/08/07/five-under rated-...

Sounds like they may have found their own version of Chris McNaughton.

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
08-11-19 01:58 PM - Post#286882    

Gotta hope Loyola and of course other talented PL teams are able to translate that to OOC wins...Hurts our image when these teams either hit their stride in league play or never put it together.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-11-19 02:06 PM - Post#286883    

• Scotty-14 Said:
Gotta hope Loyola and of course other talented PL teams are able to translate that to OOC wins...Hurts our image when these teams either hit their stride in league play or never put it together.

This season could be their best chance to get some big OOC wins. They return three senior starters, including 1st team All-PL Andrew Kostecka, to go along with the two Spaniards. Of course if they continue to recruit at a high level, they might be able to replace those guys with more quality players.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
08-12-19 02:59 PM - Post#286889    

• Bison89 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Do the Greyhounds have a fan forum? I'd love to see their reaction.

Also, does Bucknell actively recruit overseas?

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-12-19 03:44 PM - Post#286890    

• Bison89 Said:
  • Bison89 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Do the Greyhounds have a fan forum? I'd love to see their reaction.

Also, does Bucknell actively recruit overseas?

No active Loyola forum. Don't believe Bucknell recruits much overseas. Have not heard of any offers to players who aren't playing for U.S. teams or in U.S. AAU tournaments. I wouldn't mind seeing more effort there, however, as there are a lot of very talented European players who want to go to school in the U.S.

The one Bison team that has been aggressive with foreign athletes is men's water polo, which in recent years has had four players from Serbia, plus one apiece from Hungary, Romania, Croatia, and Lebanon.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-13-19 02:03 PM - Post#286900    

For those who are interested, the American message board is finally up again. It had been on hiatus for many months after it was overrun by trolls making multiple stupid and/or offensive posts. For the moment, they have stopped allowing unregistered posters - which should make things a lot better.

http://auhoops.proboards.com/

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
08-18-19 12:13 PM - Post#287012    

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

HC starting forward Jacob Grandison has now entered the transfer portal. He started every game the past 1.5 years. Caleb Green and Grandison were the top two Crusaders in minutes played.

Grandison is transferring to Illinois

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-18-19 04:25 PM - Post#287013    

• Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Grandison is transferring to Illinois

Finally ending a 7-week saga.

res
Masters Student
Posts 839
08-18-19 08:25 PM - Post#287015    

• Bison137 Said:

Finally ending a 7-week saga.

Yes, though not apparently the 21 page thread discussing it -- a good portion of which seems to be dedicated to people who profess to not care a whit what he does.

I also found hchoops reaction somewhat odd. Earlier on, I posted that it wouldn't surprise me if he had gotten a look from Cal, as Cal is not exactly Wooden's UCLA -- or today's Colgate. Hoops was unusually dismissive and stated, in more than one post, that Grandison wouldn't even get a thought from any P5 school. So much for that.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-18-19 09:54 PM - Post#287018    

• res Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

I also found hchoops reaction somewhat odd. Earlier on, I posted that it wouldn't surprise me if he had gotten a look from Cal, as Cal is not exactly Wooden's UCLA -- or today's Colgate. Hoops was unusually dismissive and stated, in more than one post, that Grandison wouldn't even get a thought from any P5 school. So much for that.

Yes, he made multiple posts indicating that he thought Cal must be one of the top teams in the nation, even though - as you pointed out - it has been quite weak the last few years. FAR worse than Bucknell each of the past two years.

Maryland Bison
Freshman
Posts 57
08-22-19 01:50 PM - Post#287165    

Baltimore Sun article on 6-11 Loyola freshman Santi Aldama.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basket ...
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
08-22-19 02:12 PM - Post#287166    

I was watching some highlights of Aldama and thought he looked pretty skinny. That article has him listed at 6’11” 210. For comparison Muscala was skinny his freshman year and was listed at 6’10” 223. Listed heights and weights can’t be trusted as fact but he might get banged around down low until he can put on more weight.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-29-19 09:17 PM - Post#289254    

The Brett Nelson era started in Worcester tonight with an unimpressive 11-point win over a weak D2 Assumption team that was picked to finish 6th out of 7 teams in its division. They were 8-20 last year.

HC got a good game out of their top player, Austin Butler, who had 20 points and 11 boards. Soph SF Joe Pridgen had 17 points and their freshman PG Drew Lowder played reasonably well. In total their offense played fairly well, albeit against mediocre defense, but there were problems in other areas.

To begin, Assumption scored 1.00 points per possession - way too high to allow a relatively weak D2 squad - and would have had more if they hadn't been 4-17 on threes. Also HC had 15 turnovers, only 6 of which were caused by steals. HC got 75% of available defensive rebounds - which would be fairly good against a better team - but only had 22% of available defensive rebounds. And finally, HC only forced 8 turnovers - against a team that averaged 13 tpg against its D2 rivals last year.

Probably about the result that might have been expected given the caliber of the opponent and HC's status as an almost unanimous pick for last place - along with adjusting to a new coach.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-31-19 11:44 PM - Post#289404    

Lafayette's CG Alex Petrie will miss the season with what has been called a "medical condition". The fact that it was not called an "injury" or something similar suggests to me that it might be some sort of illness. Hopefully he will have a full recovery.

Petrie was the 2018 PL ROY, but in the 2018-19 season he saw his playing time fall and lost his starting job. Presumably it was due to a combination of his mediocre defense and a decline in his shooting percentage.

https://www.goleopards.com/news/2019/10/31/mens- ba...

Lafayette was generally picked for 8th in the PL - ahead of Navy and HC - but this may drop them down to about the same level as Navy.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
11-01-19 10:15 PM - Post#289498    

At the half tonight, Loyola trailed neighborhood rival Johns Hopkins 45-26, but came back to win 80-77.

Highly touted Loyola freshman Santi Aldama didn't play.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
11-02-19 05:47 PM - Post#289513    

American University tweets:

Sa'eed Nelson will not participate in AU’s first game at Siena on Tuesday due to NCAA rules regarding summer league participation. He will suit up for Friday’s home opener vs. William & Mary.

"It was an unfortunate, minor oversight by our program. We have educated our players on the rules, we accept the NCAA’s decision, and we look forward to having Sa’eed back on the court on Friday.” - AU head coach Mike Brennan
https://twitter.com/AU_MBasketball/status /11907394...
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
11-02-19 05:48 PM - Post#289514    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
At the half tonight, Loyola trailed neighborhood rival Johns Hopkins 45-26, but came back to win 80-77.

Highly touted Loyola freshman Santi Aldama didn't play.

Yes, he had a knee procedure. It's my understanding he will miss at least the first month, meaning no sooner than mid-December.
Maryland Bison
Freshman
Posts 57
11-06-19 04:03 PM - Post#290093    

Baltimore Sun article on Adama's knee surgery. It says he's out "indefinitely".

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basket ...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-07-19 10:29 AM - Post#290196    

More on Aldama. I see that a Spanish newspaper yesterday has a quote from him saying he is out "three to four months". I speak no Spanish but am assuming that Google correctly translated a phrase that simple.

https://www.laprovincia.es/cb-gran-canaria/2019/1 1...

If this report is accurate, and it appears it is, he could be out until some time in February. Under normal circumstances, at that point they might well try to convince the doctor that he needs to be shut down for the year - so that they can get a 5th year of eligibility for him. But in his case, I would bet against him being at Loyola for five years, so they might just decide to play him when he is ready - even if it is only for a few weeks at the end.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
11-07-19 11:43 AM - Post#290201    

Prior to what procedure he had, the hope was that he'd return to the lineup before league play. It appears they learned there was more damage than they had hoped during the surgery. I agree that he is not a 5-year candidate. That said, there is the risk of losing him all together if Loyola gives the appearance of rushing him back for the playoffs. He has a professional career in front of him, and his handlers will likely be involved.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-07-19 02:30 PM - Post#290223    

Here's an item from Colgate's Game Notes talking about last spring's championship game:

" The 1,821 in attendance was the first sellout in the modern era since the gym had been renamed Cotterell Court in 1966."

It's hard to believe there is any school in the nation with worse fan support for basketball than Colgate. Did not even sell out one game in an 1821-seat gym for three years of Adonal Foyle. Or for their 1994 PL co-champs that featured PL POY Tucker Neale. Or for any regular-season games or PL quarters and semis for the 2018-19 co-champs. Or for the 2nd place 2017-18 team? Or for any number of home games that they played vs Syracuse in the 60's and 70's.

In fact, prior to their sellout in the championship game - which was aided by a large Bucknell contingent - the only sellout ever in Cotterell was to watch the UConn women play there for Breanna Stewart's homecoming. And that was largely UConn fans.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-07-19 03:49 PM - Post#290231    

Just saw that Colgate blew a 19 point lead against NJIT but came back to win by 5.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-07-19 04:06 PM - Post#290237    

Two notes on that game: first, transfer Nelly, Cummings, who came over from Bowling Green, had a really good game as the new starter in Colgate’s backcourt. Secondly, Colgate appears to have very little depth this year. An injury or two could really hurt them. Their freshman class does not look good, and their transfer from Houston Baptist is having to sit out this year.

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
11-07-19 04:47 PM - Post#290252    

Another transfer with a big night was American's Jamir Harris. American showed a complete lack of defensive ability Tuesday night but Harris and Nelson will be a tough backcourt to defend this winter
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
11-07-19 05:09 PM - Post#290257    

• Bison137 Said:
Here's an item from Colgate's Game Notes talking about last spring's championship game:

" The 1,821 in attendance was the first sellout in the modern era since the gym had been renamed Cotterell Court in 1966."

It's hard to believe there is any school in the nation with worse fan support for basketball than Colgate. Did not even sell out one game in an 1821-seat gym for three years of Adonal Foyle. Or for their 1994 PL co-champs that featured PL POY Tucker Neale. Or for any regular-season games or PL quarters and semis for the 2018-19 co-champs. Or for the 2nd place 2017-18 team? Or for any number of home games that they played vs Syracuse in the 60's and 70's.

In fact, prior to their sellout in the championship game - which was aided by a large Bucknell contingent - the only sellout ever in Cotterell was to watch the UConn women play there for Breanna Stewart's homecoming. And that was largely UConn fans.

From the Baltimore Sun, March 1995:

By Alan Goldstein
Sun Staff Writer
HAMILTON. N.Y. - A month ago in Annapolis, the Navy basketball team limited Colgate's all-time scoring leader, Tucker Neale, to eight points and neutralized 6-foot-10 freshman sensation Adonal Foyle in a 42-point rout.

But it was an entirely different story in the Patriot League tournament championship game yesterday as a boisterous, standing-room crowd of 3,100 tested the capacity of cozy Cotterell Court.

Those Colgate teams were coached by the late Jack Bruen, a wonderful man. I remember stories from him about a handful of games being shown via closed circuit TV in local bars. Per NCAA stats, Colgate's average attendance in 1996 was 2,395.

A pretty weak effort by their sports information department. Probably some young guy/gal who believes Colgate is currently going through the golden ages of its program.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-07-19 05:38 PM - Post#290259    

Thanks. I stand corrected - or rather Colgate's SID does.

What is puzzling is that the current capacity of Cotterell, as listed in multiple places including Colgate's website, is 1750. Before they added chairbacks on the one side, it might have had a capacity slightly over 2000. There isn't much room for standing room, and it hasn't really been renovated in about 50 years. So how did they fit in 2500 or 3000+ people? Colgate has had a history of exaggerating attendances a lot, so I wonder how legitimate the 2395 or the 3100 are.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
11-07-19 08:46 PM - Post#290281    

Here is a youtube video of 1996 PL championship game. Boxscore listed attendance as 2236 for this game vs Holy Cross. Ted Bettencourt was starting PG for HC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvMR_A6p0j4
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-07-19 08:57 PM - Post#290282    

• DoCtoR62 Said:
Here is a youtube video of 1996 PL championship game. Boxscore listed attendance as 2236 for this game vs Holy Cross. Ted Bettencourt was starting PG for HC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvMR_A6p0j4

Thanks, interesting video. I can see 2236 fitting in before there were seatbacks with some standing room thrown in. Still have no idea how they could get anywhere close to 3100 however. I have a lot of doubts about that number.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
11-08-19 12:43 PM - Post#290298    

the Veteran's Classic at Navy is tonight. in prior years they have brought in some very big name schools. this year the opener features a couple of potential top 25 teams in Auburn and Davidson, but Navy only gets East Carolina as its opponent.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-08-19 01:04 PM - Post#290301    

• KenZ Said:
the Veteran's Classic at Navy is tonight. in prior years they have brought in some very big name schools.

Since they started this, it's enabled them to get home games with Michigan State, Florida, Ohio State, Pitt, and Maryland. Not sure why they aren't playing a big-time team this year. In fact, the only strong team they play OOC is just before PL play starts when they play Virginia. if Virginia plays the starters a lot in that one, Navy is unlikely to score 40 points.

For those who didn't see it, Navy took DP's GMU team to OT in their first game before being blown out in OT by a barrage of threes and GMU offensive rebounds. The biggest factor in Navy getting to OT is that they got an incredible 20 offensive rebounds out of 40 opportunities. DeChellis is the only PL coach who sends players to the offensive glass, so Navy always leads the league in that category - but getting 50% is an extremely high pct. (PL average last year was about 28% in league play - lower if Navy is excluded.)

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
11-11-19 01:02 PM - Post#290591    

Deeper conference schedules have hurt in some years.. Auburn 5th SEC team to play in the event... Every coach raves about the experience though so hopefully we will keep drawing P5's...

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
11-11-19 03:40 PM - Post#290623    

• NavyVoice Said:
Deeper conference schedules have hurt in some years.

reminded me to comment on the craziness of the ACC playing conference games on opening night. the 20 game conference schedules reduces the number of available guarantee games much less the likelihood of us common folk ever getting the p5 schools to visit.
NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
11-12-19 11:18 AM - Post#290682    

yeah, a lot of ACC had to do with programming needs for ACC Network also.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-12-19 07:20 PM - Post#290728    

Philadelphia Biblical: Really Lehigh?
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-12-19 08:08 PM - Post#290733    

Although LU has refused to comment on the scheduling issues, I think I've figured out what is going on. A website has recently listed a so-called Sacramento Classic that was patch-worked together to allow some teams to play extra games under the guise of a multi-team event. Due to this format, LU gets to play 30 total games, instead of the normal limit of 29. They were eager to do this since they originally only had two home OOC games on the schedule.

This "tournament" apparently now consists of:

Sun., Nov. 10
Winthrop Eagles (Big South) at Fresno State Bulldogs (MW), 5 p.m. (MWN)

Mon., Nov. 11
Winthrop at Saint Mary’s Gaels (WCC), 9 p.m.

Tue., Nov. 12
Cairn (non-D1) at Lehigh Mountain Hawks (Patriot), 7 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 16
Mid-Atlantic Christian (non-D1) at Winthrop, 4 p.m.

Mon., Nov. 18
Misericordia (non-D1) at Lehigh, 7:30 p.m.

Wed., Nov 20
Fresno State vs. Saint Mary’s at Sacramento, 11 p.m. (ESPNU)

Sat., Nov. 23
Lehigh at Saint Mary’s, 8 p.m.

Mon., Nov. 25
Pfeiffer (non-D1) at Winthrop, 7 p.m.

- - - - -

One interesting thing is that this "tournament" never has two games played on the same day. Teams in the tournament play the following number of games: Winthrop 4, Lehigh 3, St. Mary's 3, Fresno State 2, Four different D3's 1 apiece. The eight games are played at five different sites in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and California.

Misericordia is treating this game with LU as an exhibition game. Cairn originally wasn't counting it either, but now it appears they have changed course. LU may have been a bit embarrassed charging its fans for games that the opposition isn't even treating as a real game. $9 for a seat to watch a game that doesn't even count for the opponent.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
11-12-19 10:45 PM - Post#290744    

American beat George Washington on a Sa'eed Nelson buzzerbeater. In a postgame press conference, American coach Mike Brennan said two players are no longer part of the program: Jack Sorensen and Kelton Samore.

The Nelson shot: https://twitter.com/auhoopspodcast/status /11944311...

Tweet about Brennan remark:
https://twitter.com/auhoopspodcast/status /11944370...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-13-19 12:09 AM - Post#290747    

• Bison137 Said:

Misericordia is treating this game with LU as an exhibition game. Cairn originally wasn't counting it either, but now it appears they have changed course. LU may have been a bit embarrassed charging its fans for games that the opposition isn't even treating as a real game. $9 for a seat to watch a game that doesn't even count for the opponent.

Correction. Although Cairn wasn't noting it was an exhibition game on their updated schedule, I see they did treat it as an exhibition. So LU will play two games in a week against teams that aren't treating it as a real game.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-13-19 12:39 AM - Post#290748    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
American beat George Washington on a Sa'eed Nelson buzzerbeater. In a postgame press conference, American coach Mike Brennan said two players are no longer part of the program: Jack Sorensen and Kelton Samore.

Interesting. AU had already had one freshman recruit leave before serious practice even started. With the above departures, this means three of their four new scholarship recruits (Sorenson, Samore, and Bradley Nalley) have already left the team. None of the three who departed were great players, but it is a hit to their depth.

Since Mike Brennan took over (April 2012), American has an incredible rate of recruits leaving before completing four years. In addition to the three named above, others in recent years include Sam Iorio, Drew Lamont, Max Hoekstra, Nick Macarchuk (PWO), Delante Jones, Alex Paquin, Lonnie Rivera, Andrija Matic, Gabe Brown (PWO?), Paris Maragkos, Zach Elcano (injury?), Justice Montgomery, Kade Kager, and Jonathan Davis (academics).

Not clear if they hate Brennan or hate American, or both. But the transfer rate is WAY above that of any other PL school. Consider that since Bucknell brought in scholarship athletes in 2003, a grand total of two recruits (Show and O'Brien) have left before finishing four years.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-14-19 12:47 AM - Post#290927    

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Correction. Although Cairn wasn't noting it was an exhibition game on their updated schedule, I see they did treat it as an exhibition. So LU will play two games in a week against teams that aren't treating it as a real game.

I may be wrong, but I do not think DII teams have the option to treat games vs DI teams as exhibitions. I think, from the DII team's perspective, they are Exhibitions. Period.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-14-19 01:34 AM - Post#290931    

After the Hofstra win, we have climbed from the mid 140's in Pomeroy to 131. Colgate otoh has dropped to 125. So what was a 30ish place difference between them and us is now a 6 place differential.

Having just watched them play Syracuse, here are some observations. This CU team had a chance to give Syracuse a good game, and maybe even sneak out with a win ala the Bison in 2005(?). They did not. CU is the deserved favorite to win the PL, and until somebody proves otherwise, they remain so. But watching them play Syracuse, I come away feeling they they are not nearly as athletic as we are, and if you contain Jordan Burns, as Syracuse did, they are not that scary (I am speaking of the same Jordan Burns that torched us for 35 last March).

Now I am writing this on a night when we really looked good against a good, but not great, mid major team, and CU looked very overmatched against a perennial strong P5 conference team, and I am mindful of the saying that "you never are as good as you look yada, yada, yada." But it does occur to me that when we next meet them they will not have a heckuva lot to show us, that we have not seen before, while we will have plenty new to show them. I am not counting my chickens, this is Colgate's league to lose, but the one major advantage I see them as having over us is experience (not to be underated), and by March, our team of kids that is just getting to know each oter now, will have whittled a lot off of CU's experience advantage. Like I say, the PL is their's to win or lose, but I like the potential I am seeing with our guys.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-14-19 10:31 AM - Post#290945    

Under NCAA bylaws, D2/D3 teams have the option to treat games with D1 teams as counting games or as exhibitions. As an example, look at Rosemont's schedule last year. They played Lafayette and treated it as a regular season game, with the result counting in their W-L record. Then the very next game, they played Hofstra and declared it an exhibition game (see where it says "Exhibition" just above the game result in the linked schedule), with the result not counting in their W-L record. Similarly, Susquehanna treated its game with Lafayette the year before as a regular season game, counted in its W-L record.

One more example: Lafayette plays Widener this season, and Widener is treating the game as a regular season game, with the result to be included in their W-L record. But the next game they play Penn, in a game clearly marked as an exhibition game.

Rosemont Schedule: https://rosemont-ravens.com/sports/mens-basketbal l...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-14-19 10:38 AM - Post#290947    

It's very early, but the Pomeroy Rankings have already changed a bit for the PL, as have the predicted PL standings:

Colgate 13-5
Bucknell 12-6
Loyola MD 10-8
Boston University 9-9
Lehigh 9-9
American 9-9
Lafayette 9-9
Army 8-10
Navy 6-12
Holy Cross 5-13

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-14-19 12:32 PM - Post#290975    

Boston lost badly at Vermont last night. Lafayette got a good win at Princeton.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-14-19 03:03 PM - Post#290998    

• jkrun80 Said:
Boston lost badly at Vermont last night. Lafayette got a good win at Princeton.

Boston U played Vermont evenly in most categories (rebounding, turnovers, 3-point shooting, and FT's). However Vermont hit 18-33 on twos, while Boston was 13-41. Had Boston hit the same pct as Vermont, they would theoretically have scored 18 more points in a game they lost by 15. Boston played a different UVM team than Bucknell did, as Anthony Lamb stayed out of foul trouble and logged 36 minutes.

As for Lafayette, their game was decided almost solely by 3-point accuracy. LC was 11-19 (58%) on threes, while Princeton was 8-29 (28%). Had Princeton hit the same spectacular pct as LC, then theoretically they win by 17 points. That is a common theme for O'Hanlon teams: live by the three, die by the three.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-14-19 04:55 PM - Post#291011    

• Bison137 Said:
Under NCAA bylaws, D2/D3 teams have the option to treat games with D1 teams as counting games or as exhibitions. As an example, look at Rosemont's schedule last year. They played Lafayette and treated it as a regular season game, with the result counting in their W-L record. Then the very next game, they played Hofstra and declared it an exhibition game (see where it says "Exhibition" just above the game result in the linked schedule), with the result not counting in their W-L record. Similarly, Susquehanna treated its game with Lafayette the year before as a regular season game, counted in its W-L record.

One more example: Lafayette plays Widener this season, and Widener is treating the game as a regular season game, with the result to be included in their W-L record. But the next game they play Penn, in a game clearly marked as an exhibition game.

Rosemont Schedule: https://rosemont-ravens.com/sports/mens-basketbal l...

Thanks for the clarification

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-18-19 10:08 PM - Post#291416    

Colgate is down 71-26 (not a typo) at Auburn early in the 2nd half. What an embarrassment to the PL. They are not looking like a championship team.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
11-18-19 10:13 PM - Post#291417    

Colgate is much better than that however. Just not showing it however as everything has gone down for Auburn who just may win the SEC RS this year. KU looked really human against Utah St
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
11-18-19 10:15 PM - Post#291418    

Colgate on an 11-0 run. They’re better than the score.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-19-19 11:55 AM - Post#291446    

• jkrun80 Said:
Colgate is down 71-26 (not a typo) at Auburn early in the 2nd half. What an embarrassment to the PL. They are not looking like a championship team.

91-62 final score. Not pretty at all.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
11-19-19 05:28 PM - Post#291485    

What did we lose to St Mary's by?...Auburn played really well. Like to see a replay at Cotterell. Auburn would have a great nights stay at The Colgate Inn and their fans would really love Hickey's
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
11-19-19 09:23 PM - Post#291611    

Holy Cross down by about 60 at home!
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-19-19 09:37 PM - Post#291636    

• bisonmania Said:

OTOH Boston leads S. Carolina by 3 with 6:00 to play. Lafayette leads a good Penn team by 10.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
11-19-19 09:44 PM - Post#291646    

• bisonmania Said:

Relax. They only lost by 57.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-20-19 12:48 AM - Post#291670    

• res Said:
  • bisonmania Said:

Relax. They only lost by 57.

But they would have won if it weren't for the patriot league dragging them down!

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-20-19 09:33 AM - Post#291702    

Boston wins at SC 78-70 and Lafayette gets an impressive win over Penn 86-75. Loyola gave GMU a tough time losing by 4. Not a bad night for the PL despite the BU and HC losses.
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
11-20-19 12:08 PM - Post#291733    

We’re looking at potentially one of the most interesting PL seasons in years.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-20-19 02:02 PM - Post#291739    

• bison75 Said:
We’re looking at potentially one of the most interesting PL seasons in years.

75, you might be right. It looks like the top 5-6 schools can win or lose on any given night. That being said, it would not surprise me if Colgate pulls it together in time for PL games. Also, the Bison are ALWAYS ready to play by the time that January rolls around. Winter Break is a great time to improve and focus on hoops.

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
11-27-19 09:35 AM - Post#292492    

Jordan Burns a 40-spot vs Green Bay last night, Sa'eed Nelson for 25 in a win vs Howard and John Carter and Cam Davis 24 each in a win over Cornell for Navy..
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-27-19 10:41 AM - Post#292497    

40 is a lot of points no matter who you are playing!

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-01-19 12:05 PM - Post#293086    

KenPom through Nov 30
115. Colgate
197. Bucknell
210. Loyola
220. Lafayette
224. American
227. Boston University (BU)
231. Lehigh
256. Navy
268. Army
332. Holy Cross

Remarkably tight grouping in that next tier after Colgate.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-01-19 10:17 PM - Post#293231    

Holy Cross lost today to Hofstra 91-69 on a neutral court. HC's very good freshman PG Drew Lowder missed much of the game with a hip injury.

Also Loyola beat Bing by ten points in Baltimore.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
12-03-19 09:37 PM - Post#293458    

Lafayette pounding St Joes.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
12-03-19 09:46 PM - Post#293463    

• bisonmania Said:
Lafayette pounding St Joes.

Lafayette is surprisingly good this year. We are in for a tough league season.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-03-19 10:29 PM - Post#293473    

Final Lafayette 94 St Joe's 71
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
12-04-19 09:41 AM - Post#293499    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

St. Joe's has lost 7 of their last 8 games. Looks like a rebuilding year for the Hawks.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-04-19 10:12 AM - Post#293506    

• Bison89 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:

St. Joe's has lost 7 of their last 8 games. Looks like a rebuilding year for the Hawks.

Yes, their best case is that it's a rebuilding year. But with Billy Lange at the helm, it may never get rebuilt.

Among their losses are a 16-point home loss to St. Francis, a 12 point neutral court loss to Towson, a 17 point loss to Loyola (IL), and a 13-point loss to ODU. They currently are ranked #253 in the nation by Pomeroy.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
12-04-19 10:36 AM - Post#293517    

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison89 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:

Yes, their best case is that it's a rebuilding year. But with Billy Lange at the helm, it may never get rebuilt.

Among their losses are a 16-point home loss to St. Francis, a 12 point neutral court loss to Towson, a 17 point loss to Loyola (IL), and a 13-point loss to ODU. They currently are ranked #253 in the nation by Pomeroy.

Looks like their only good game was a surprise win over #53 UConn.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-08-19 01:48 PM - Post#294116    

KenPom through Dec 7
119. Colgate
184. Loyola
185. Lafayette
211. Bucknell
216. American
238. Boston University (BU)
249. Lehigh
276. Army
277. Navy
323. Holy Cross
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
12-08-19 07:12 PM - Post#294134    

Colgate lost at Greg Paulus led Niagara today. Not the greatest of losses.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-08-19 07:15 PM - Post#294135    

Colgate stumbled today, losing in OT at Niagara, which entered the game 1-5 and is #320 per KenPom.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
12-08-19 09:51 PM - Post#294143    

That's only because Calvin Murphy scored 46 in his 50th anniversary game.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
12-09-19 09:27 AM - Post#294154    

I remember going out every week to buy the “TV Guide” to see what games were going to be televised. South Carolina and the ACC was just staring to emerge (Johnny Roche, Kevin Joyce, George Karl & UNC, David Thompson, John Lucas-Len Elmore & the Terps). But the greatest joy was if I saw that Niagara/LSU/Purdue or UoMiss was gonna be on. Only thing comparable were the ND teams of Austin Carr & Dantley and Ducky Williams. Now I can’t even watch the NBA. Guess that’s the magic of being a kid
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
12-09-19 09:29 AM - Post#294157    

Now you know why I’m the OLD Bison
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
12-09-19 11:54 AM - Post#294167    

• Old Bison Said:
I remember going out every week to buy the “TV Guide” to see what games were going to be televised. South Carolina and the ACC was just staring to emerge (Johnny Roche, Kevin Joyce, George Karl & UNC, David Thompson, John Lucas-Len Elmore & the Terps). But the greatest joy was if I saw that Niagara/LSU/Purdue or UoMiss was gonna be on. Only thing comparable were the ND teams of Austin Carr & Dantley and Ducky Williams. Now I can’t even watch the NBA. Guess that’s the magic of being a kid

ECAC game of the week w/ Don Criqui calling the play-by-play. I'd include Providence w/ Ernie D ans St. Bonaventure into the fun to watch. And, the Jefferson-Pilot ACC Game of the Week featuring Jim Thacker, Bones McKinney and Billy Packer. It's not all bad being old.

res
Masters Student
Posts 839
12-09-19 05:26 PM - Post#294238    

I'm not saying Don Criqui didn't call some ECAC games, but the team I remember was Marv Albert and Bucky Waters.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
12-09-19 05:37 PM - Post#294241    

The games I'm talking about would have pre-dated that pairing. Bucky Waters coached at Duke until '73 or '74. I do remember that pairing on games though.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
12-09-19 06:14 PM - Post#294250    

Doc and res....I’m thinking cremation...you guys going in the box?
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
12-09-19 06:20 PM - Post#294251    

I'm leaning towards the ashes, but I suspect the wife will stick me in the box regardless of my wishes.

res
Masters Student
Posts 839
12-09-19 06:25 PM - Post#294253    

btw, one of my older brothers was a close friend of Criqui's older brother. We lived a couple of blocks down the street in those days. Not sure what Don's exit plan is, OC.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-09-19 06:44 PM - Post#294254    

I liked Criqui for basketball, but hated his Notre Dame football calls. About as objective as Birdsong, except to a huge national audience. He sounded like he was about to cry when things went bad for his beloved Irish.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
12-10-19 09:47 AM - Post#294274    

• res Said:
I'm leaning towards the ashes, but I suspect the wife will stick me in the box regardless of my wishes.

I'll save the pallbearers and go the ashes route. Perhaps suggest to my wife that she hold them until a Bison loss so that the stronger winds can carry them further.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
12-10-19 11:04 AM - Post#294291    

• DoCtoR62 Said:
  • res Said:

I'll save the pallbearers and go the ashes route. Perhaps suggest to my wife that she hold them until a Bison loss so that the stronger winds can carry them further.

This is such a WONDERFUL topic for a basketball board.

What's next? Severe illness treatment?

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
12-10-19 09:34 PM - Post#294386    

Holy Cross is losing to Massachusetts-Boston midway through the second half. When is the last time a Patriot League school lost to a non D-1 opponent?
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-10-19 10:11 PM - Post#294393    

D3 UMass - Boston wins in OT.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-10-19 10:12 PM - Post#294394    

Holy Cross is losing to Massachusetts-Boston midway through the second half. When is the last time a Patriot League school lost to a non D-1 opponent?

Unbelievably HC loses at home to a mediocre D3 UMass-Boston team, a team ranked #114 of D3's and a team that lost to UMass-Lowell by an 88-45 score. Their starting lineup averages slightly less than 6-0 per man. Center is 6-4 and PF is 6-2. HC was outscored 52-33 over the last part of the game.

As for the last PL loss to a D2/D3 team, HC lost in December of 2003 to a Dave Paulsen Williams team. The difference was that that Williams team was the defending national champs and ended up ranked #2 in the nation among D3's.

One item to note is that HC was missing one of their two top players, freshman Drew Lowder, due to a hip injury, plus a couple other players were unavailable. Still, that is a team that even a bad D1 team should easily beat.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-10-19 10:32 PM - Post#294399    

• Bison137 Said:

As for the last PL loss to a D2/D3 team, HC lost in December of 2003 to a Dave Paulsen Williams team. The difference was that that Williams team was the defending national champs and ended up ranked #2 in the nation among D3's.

I found one PL loss to a D3 team that is more recent than the HC loss to Williams. Billy Lange's Navy squad lost by six points to Gettysburg in 2005. Fwiw, Gettysburg was a much better team than UMass-Boston. Lange's current St. Joes team, btw, is ranked #261 in the nation. Recently they lost to Temple by 47 points, to Lafayette by 23 points, and to St. Francis by 16 points.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-10-19 11:38 PM - Post#294417    

The delusional HC87 is now blaming the PL for tonight's HC loss, although some would assume about a dozen beers might be affecting his reasoning powers.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-11-19 01:31 AM - Post#294423    

• Bison137 Said:
The delusional HC87 is now blaming the PL for tonight's HC loss, although some would assume about a dozen beers might be affecting his reasoning powers.

Ever-reliable. At the darkest moments, up springs his "logic" that Holy Cross is the worst team in the Patriot League because they are in the Patriot League.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-11-19 02:03 AM - Post#294424    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Ever-reliable. At the darkest moments, up springs his "logic" that Holy Cross is the worst team in the Patriot League because they are in the Patriot League.

The Patriot League currently is ranked 21st of the 32 conferences. If Holy Cross were not in the PL, its ranking would jump to 19th.

Considering that there are approximately ten conferences that should be considered "major" ones, the PL ranks 11th of the 22 that are mid-major or lower. Without HC, it would rank 9th of that group.

sader87
Sophomore
Posts 120
12-11-19 02:49 PM - Post#294467    

Stay classy.....

Fun fact: PL hoop is an absolute joke.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
12-11-19 03:15 PM - Post#294474    

• sader87 Said:
Stay classy.....

...says the man who expressed glee at Bucknell's difficulties only a few days ago.

sader87
Sophomore
Posts 120
12-11-19 03:18 PM - Post#294475    

I did, so? The whole league stinks..average to poor D1 teams playing in empty gymnasiums....hooray!!!!
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
12-11-19 05:16 PM - Post#294505    

Buck lost to Gettysburg (on the road)in 1980. CW was particularly high on ammonia that night. Not sure if Buck got paid a guarantee that night

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-14-19 08:36 PM - Post#294659    

Colgate up at Cincinnati 20-16 5:53 first half, on ESPN3

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
12-14-19 08:58 PM - Post#294661    

That didn't last long. Colgate is shooting poorly. Cincinnati has helped them by turning the ball over 10 times.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
12-14-19 10:00 PM - Post#294662    

That was a wild finish. Credit to Colgate for hanging around and creating the opportunity to win. Heck of a game for Ivanauskus.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
12-14-19 10:34 PM - Post#294663    

Boneheaded plays by the Cumberland brothers. Half court shot with 3.5 seconds left and a foul on the rebound. Unreal.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
12-14-19 10:53 PM - Post#294665    

Boneheaded plays by the Cumberland brothers. Half court shot with 3.5 seconds left and a foul on the rebound. Unreal.

https://twitter.com/fox19jeremy/status/12 060336063...
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
12-14-19 11:03 PM - Post#294666    

Seemed like a pretty bogus foul call to me.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-14-19 11:07 PM - Post#294668    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Seemed like a pretty bogus foul call to me.

Agree. The refs may have decided to punish Cinci for taking such an incredibly stupid shot. A 55 foot shot in a tie game with 5 seconds left. Smart basketball.

BreakinBison
Sophomore
Posts 146
12-14-19 11:47 PM - Post#294671    

F-L-O-P....ladies and gentlemen, that spells FLOP!
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-14-19 11:49 PM - Post#294672    

• BreakinBison Said:
F-L-O-P....ladies and gentlemen, that spells FLOP!

Hah! However if the Bison were in the same situation as Colgate, Doug would claim it was one of the most egregious fouls in the history of basketball.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-01-20 12:58 PM - Post#295721    

KenPom after the completion of nonconference play:

129. Colgate
179. Lafayette
199. Loyola
216. Boston University (BU)
218. American
227. Bucknell
242. Navy
258. Lehigh
288. Army
330. Holy Cross
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-01-20 01:01 PM - Post#295722    

The AU Hoops Podcast's write-up on the league after nonconference action:
http://www.auhoopspodcast.com/posts/2019/12/30/pat...
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-01-20 01:27 PM - Post#295725    

I'm just hoping for a top 4 finish and a QF home game. I'm normally more optimistic, but this team hasn't provided much cause for optimism.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-01-20 02:00 PM - Post#295726    

I would absolutely be thrilled with a top four finish in PL play, based on what I’ve seen in OOC. I’d love to see a few quality performances right out of the shoot just to create some optimism and excitement. Currently, this is the least excited about Bison basketball I’ve been since becoming a season trucker holder 14 years ago.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-01-20 02:41 PM - Post#295729    

Certainly not a good start to the season, although there have been worse since Bucknell started allowing scholarships. Here are the worst six OOC results since 2003-04, when scholarships started. Four of the six seasons turned out really well. Hopefully this one will fall into that category as well.

1. 2003-04: 3-9 (1-9 vs D1) OOC, Pomeroy ranking about 250 for OOC. Went 9-5 in PL - one game out of first.

2. 2007-08: 5-9 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of about 220 OOC. Went 6-8 in PL.

3. 2008-09: 3-11 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of 275+. Went 4-10 in PL - worst ever for Bucknell.

4. 2009-10: 5-11 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of about 260. Went 9-5 in PL - 2nd place.

5. 2014-15: 5-8 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of 240. Went 13-5 in PL - 1st place.

6. 2015-16: 3-8 OOC (2-8 vs D1), Pomeroy ranking of 213. Went 14-4 in PL - 1st place.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-01-20 02:46 PM - Post#295730    

Note on the previous post. Only one of those six unsuccessful OOC seasons had a tough strength of schedule. The Pomeroy SOS rankings looked like this (with estimates for non-D1 games) for the six seasons listed:

1. 250 (e)
2. 178
3. 152
4. 284
5. 99
6. 175 (e)

This year's OOC ranking was 78, in other words a lot tougher than in the other bad years in the past.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-01-20 04:42 PM - Post#295733    

(To clarify from my last post, I’m not holding “truckers.”)

Yeah I get there have been worse starts, I guess my feelings concerning this season are not simply based on W/L or rankings. There just have been other reasons that kept me more highly interested, whether it was particular players, new coaching staffs, larger/louder crowds, different reasons for optimism based on quality of play....I still hold out hope this can be a successful season, I just haven’t seen the markers for optimism thus far.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
01-02-20 09:43 AM - Post#295744    

• Bison137 Said:
Certainly not a good start to the season, although there have been worse since Bucknell started allowing scholarships. Here are the worst six OOC results since 2003-04, when scholarships started. Four of the six seasons turned out really well. Hopefully this one will fall into that category as well.

1. 2003-04: 3-9 (1-9 vs D1) OOC, Pomeroy ranking about 250 for OOC. Went 9-5 in PL - one game out of first.

2. 2007-08: 5-9 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of about 220 OOC. Went 6-8 in PL.

3. 2008-09: 3-11 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of 275+. Went 4-10 in PL - worst ever for Bucknell.

4. 2009-10: 5-11 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of about 260. Went 9-5 in PL - 2nd place.

5. 2014-15: 5-8 OOC, Pomeroy ranking of 240. Went 13-5 in PL - 1st place.

6. 2015-16: 3-8 OOC (2-8 vs D1), Pomeroy ranking of 213. Went 14-4 in PL - 1st place.

Thanks for the reality check, '137. It's interesting how fast we forget these kinds of things -- or at least how fast I forget them.

It looks like we've got the league set up exactly where we want it.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-02-20 11:35 AM - Post#295746    

res, you might be right! The rest of the PL along with the Bison fans have been lulled to sleep.

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
01-03-20 10:43 AM - Post#295842    

While Colgate's big 3 gives it an edge at the top, 2-9 will be an absolute crap shoot. Losing at home could be the difference between 2-4 or 7-9.. All 5 home teams survived last night... A couple of very close calls on opening night.

Love Thursday-Sunday better officials pool... that of course ends next week when we go back to the most crowded days on the hoops schedule...

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-05-20 02:09 PM - Post#296082    

Lowly Holy Cross up 8 on Navy with 15 minutes left.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-05-20 02:51 PM - Post#296084    

Cross wins 63-61.

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
01-06-20 06:35 AM - Post#296130    

They executed a perfect play for the winning 3-ptr. Pridgen drove kicked to Lowder, another FR, who shoots 41% and he was wide open.

At the same time, after watching them, the bigger question is why are they 2-13?

We were up 17-7 and then Austin Butler started resembling the player he looked like as a frosh. banging wide open 3's.

BTW, long overdue investment in athletic facilities look amazing there. Especially indoor football facility.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-06-20 08:14 AM - Post#296131    

• NavyVoice Said:

At the same time, after watching them, the bigger question is why are they 2-13?

Because they are in the Patriot League?

res
Masters Student
Posts 839
01-06-20 08:40 AM - Post#296132    

• Bison54 Said:
  • NavyVoice Said:

Because they are in the Patriot League?

According to at least one posTAH.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-06-20 09:06 AM - Post#296133    

• NavyVoice Said:

You must not have watched most of their other games. Terrible defense and terrible FT shooting to begin. And no post players at all. Pomeroy ranks them 333rd in the nation after yesterday's game - and they would be closer to #350 if Pomeroy included their loss to D3 UMass-Boston.

Having said that, they have a very good freshman class and two good recruits coming next year.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-06-20 09:09 AM - Post#296134    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Cross wins 63-61.

Up by a point in the final 30 seconds, a Navy FT shooter - a career 70% shooter - badly missed on two consecutive FT's, then HC hit a three with seven seconds left, and then Navy rimmed out a three at the buzzer.

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
01-06-20 11:55 AM - Post#296142    

Our free throw shooting was not its best down the stretch..
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
01-06-20 12:25 PM - Post#296144    

may it not pass quickly
NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
01-06-20 01:05 PM - Post#296147    

haha See ya Wednesday
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-06-20 03:57 PM - Post#296165    

From Bison MBB:

"Be sure to check out the PLN feature on Andrew & Tommy Funk at halftime of tonight's Army-Colgate game on CBS Sports Network! "

https://twitter.com/Bucknell_MBB/status/1 214248085...

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
01-06-20 08:13 PM - Post#296171    

Embarrassing start for the patriot league in it’s first televised game of the season. Long delay to get the clocks working.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-06-20 08:37 PM - Post#296172    

Embarrassing start for the patriot league in it’s first televised game of the season. Long delay to get the clocks working.

Definitely embarrassing. But all the embarrassment belongs to Army. . It’s their facility and they didn’t even bother to check the clock before the game started. I have been to many many games in this arena, and it’s not unusual to have screw-ups in different areas.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-07-20 12:05 AM - Post#296173    

We have had our share of clock issues
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-07-20 12:31 AM - Post#296174    

• bison63 Said:
We have had our share of clock issues

Yes, but not before the game even began.

Steve
Freshman
Posts 69
01-07-20 01:04 AM - Post#296175    

Little close for comfort at the end there for my Colgate Raiders, but I'll take any win I can get.

On the plus side, it's a nice feeling knowing that 'Gate can get away with an off-night or two from their top scorers. Cummings was obviously the star today as Burns couldn't get much going from the field.

Of course Burns has more than done his part in the past and is electric at his best.

The defense is also much-improved from earlier efforts this year, namely their loss to Niagara. Only ranked 178th in adjusted D per KenPom, but getting better.

I am concerned about the depth -- Gate is running an 8-man rotation at this point but David Maynard doesn't play much -- as well as these random lulls where nothing seems to go right for Gate. It happened at the end of the Army game and nearly cost them.

An X-factor there on the depth is Keegan Records. He's Gate's most improved player from the opening NJIT game until now, in my opinion.

Encouraged by his development, and I feel more confident in his ability to spell Ivanauskas for a few minutes.

I think Colgate is the best team in the conference, and they're a lot of fun to watch. I'm very grateful for this team.

But I think it'd be overly optimistic for me to believe they're anything close to a shoo-in for 1st in the conference.

Edge on any other team one on one? Sure.

Colgate vs. the field? Flip a coin, I'd say.

I'm conditioned to be scared of Bucknell ever since I became a Gate fan in '06, so I'm never counting them out regardless of their preseason projections. My early guess is a PL title rubber match, but who knows?
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-07-20 08:57 AM - Post#296178    

Colgate didn't have an easy time with Army. They're not looking like a dominant team so far.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
01-07-20 09:11 AM - Post#296179    

Maybe not "dominant", but the team to beat for sure. I'd give the "field" at this point an advantage for the tournament bid, but I think Steve's probably close on his regular season pick-em.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-07-20 11:16 AM - Post#296190    

• res Said:
Maybe not "dominant", but the team to beat for sure. I'd give the "field" at this point an advantage for the tournament bid, but I think Steve's probably close on his regular season pick-em.

I'd take Colgate over the field at this point. I think that the only thing that could stop them would be a serious issue such as injuries, academic probation, etc. Otherwise, Colgate has more talent than anybody in the PL this year.

Then again, if the Bison are hot from behind the arch in the PL Championship game, anything can happen!

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-07-20 01:09 PM - Post#296199    

• Steve Said:
Little close for comfort at the end there for my Colgate Raiders, but I'll take any win I can get.

On the plus side, it's a nice feeling knowing that 'Gate can get away with an off-night or two from their top scorers. Cummings was obviously the star today as Burns couldn't get much going from the field.

Of course Burns has more than done his part in the past and is electric at his best.

The defense is also much-improved from earlier efforts this year, namely their loss to Niagara. Only ranked 178th in adjusted D per KenPom, but getting better.

I am concerned about the depth -- Gate is running an 8-man rotation at this point but David Maynard doesn't play much -- as well as these random lulls where nothing seems to go right for Gate. It happened at the end of the Army game and nearly cost them.

An X-factor there on the depth is Keegan Records. He's Gate's most improved player from the opening NJIT game until now, in my opinion.

Encouraged by his development, and I feel more confident in his ability to spell Ivanauskas for a few minutes.

I think Colgate is the best team in the conference, and they're a lot of fun to watch. I'm very grateful for this team.

But I think it'd be overly optimistic for me to believe they're anything close to a shoo-in for 1st in the conference.

Edge on any other team one on one? Sure.

Colgate vs. the field? Flip a coin, I'd say.

I'm conditioned to be scared of Bucknell ever since I became a Gate fan in '06, so I'm never counting them out regardless of their preseason projections. My early guess is a PL title rubber match, but who knows?

Steve, welcome back. It would be great if we hear more from you. Barring injury, I don't see anyone challenging Colgate for the regular season title. One key injury could definitely change things, however, since as you say, there isn't much depth. Not a great showing last night, but any road win is a good one. Had Grayson, a 35% three-point shooter, done better than 1-9 from beyond the arc, we might have seen an upset.

Ivanauskas' long range shooting once again did not look good. A lot of the misses were way off the mark. He is now 15-64 (.234) on threes after hitting 42-97 (.433) last year. Any idea what's up with that? I think only Bruce Moore is keeping him from having the biggest 3-point drop in the league (or the country?).

One big question for you: Verbal Commits is showing Colgate has promised 16 scholarships for next year, i.e. three above the NCAA max. I think I can account for two of the three overages, but not sure about the third. Here is the list - based on eligibility remaining - with a few notes for those who don't follow Colgate.
The list has 17 players, because I have also included transfer Blake Henry, who VC views as a non-scholarship player:

SR (next year): Ferguson, D. Maynard, Burns, Ivanauskas, Blake Henry *, Oliver Lynch-Daniels #
JR: Nelly Cummings, T. Richardson, Zach Light
SO: Pearson Parker ##, Ryan Moffatt, Nick Evtimov **, Malcolm Bailey, Keegan Records
FR - A. Capitano, S. Thomson, J. Woodward
- - - - -
* Transfer from a California juco (viewed as non-scholarship)
# Transfer from Houston Baptist
** Transfer from Western Carolina
## Freshman from Exeter-Phillips

I think there are at least nine who are definitely on scholarship. My view on the questionable ones:

- David Maynard - Very likely scholarship; was regarded as one of the best HS player in Utah and got a very early offer from Colgate (in June just as he was finishing his junior year); led the state in scoring; Colgate held his offer open while he did his Mormon mission. The one wild card could be his advanced age and being married. Might he have accelerated his academics enough to graduate this May?
- Blake Henry - don't think he's on scholarship; was an OK juco player but nothing special. BUT Verbal Commits counts him as a walk-on, so this doesn't narrow the scholarship overage.
- Oliver Lynch-Daniels - I think he is scholarship; definitely was on scholarship at Houston Baptist and started for the majority of his soph year.
- Zach Light - I think he is NOT on scholarship. Had no offers out of HS and appears to have been a walk-on initially. VC changed his status this year to being a scholarship player, but I haven't seen anything to support that.
- Pearson Parker - I think he is NOT on scholarship. Committed very late in what was his post-grad year, and didn't have any other reported offers. Only ranked #95 in New England by NERR, a ranking that usually points to players who didn't get D1 scholarships.
- Ryan Moffatt - Widely reported that he had a scholarship offer from Colgate, as long as he agreed to prep for a year at the Hill School. This was reported by his coach and several articles, who said he had to prep because Colgate had no scholarships left for that season.
- Nick Evtimov - Definitely scholarship; Had multiple scholarship offers from good schools, went to W. Carolina on scholarship.
- Malcolm Bailey - very probably scholarship; was one of the better players in Canada and had offers from Kent, Niagara, and Binghamton. Committed late to Colgate, but my guess is that he was going to come to the U.S. for a post-grad year if he didn't get the offer he wanted.
- Keegan Records - probably scholarship; only had one offer (Binghamton) prior to a late Colgate offer, which makes it less certain. But both he and his coach said he had a scholarship offer and signed a NLI, and his coach in an interview talked about how much money his "scholarship" was worth.
- Three incoming freshmen (Thomson, Capitano, Woodward) - All definitely scholarship. All committed early, and all had good offers from other schools.

(I see that recently CU has stopped listing Bailey, Henry, and Parker on the Game Notes roster. I presume that means they are injured and not available, since all three are still on the main roster.)

So my guesses have eliminated two players (Light and Parker) from the Verbal Commits scholarship list. But that still leaves 14 - one over the limit. Possibly could be Lynch-Daniels or Records, although I doubt it. To me, the most likely scenario is that Ivanauskas is planning to go the graduate transfer route, a la Nate Sestina, for his final year. There is obviously some attraction in getting a free Master's degree, and I figure he should be on track to graduate. Most if not all of his Northwestern credits should have been accepted by Colgate, especially with him being a liberal arts major.

If you have a chance, tell me which of the above you agree and disagree with. Especially the Ivanauskas scenario.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-07-20 01:42 PM - Post#296201    

• Bison137 Said:
From Bison MBB:

"Be sure to check out the PLN feature on Andrew & Tommy Funk at halftime of tonight's Army-Colgate game on CBS Sports Network! "

https://twitter.com/PatriotLeagueTV/statu s/1214547...

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-07-20 05:53 PM - Post#296210    

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
From Bison MBB:

That was very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing the link.

BTW, we used to have a rule when playing hoops in our driveway: "No autopsy, no foul!" So, I can relate to how the Funk brothers like to play.

https://twitter.com/PatriotLeagueTV/statu s/1214547...

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-07-20 07:11 PM - Post#296212    

Yeah, really, injuries are only thing stopping Colgate winning the regular season PL title (tourney could still be open for debate.) Looking quickly at some stats, overall ‘Gate isn’t overly impressive shooting the ball, however.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-07-20 07:40 PM - Post#296216    

In the “anything can happen category” I give you Holy Cross 2016 ( I think). Colgate is the class of the league this year, period. While Army gave it a “never say die” effort last night, the game was not as close as the score, ang ‘gate did not play their best except for a stretch in the second half when they put the game out of reach. The PL is ‘gate’s to lose imo.
Steve
Freshman
Posts 69
01-08-20 11:47 AM - Post#296239    

Good to be back. This is the best/realistically only place to talk Gate hoops, believe it or not, and I have more reason to now.

I can't disagree with any of those scholarship calls, Bison137. I don't have any insider info, but the logic on all of them makes sense. Those would be my educated guesses.

As far as Rap goes, maybe that's the case, maybe not (I sure hope not but would understand it). That's a logical conclusion to your detective work though.

Also, Colgate students are required to have 32 credits to graduate. One class--one credit. Simple.

However, as I know from personal experience when I dropped Intro to Econ after getting a 38 on my first exam, one can take 3 classes in a semester and still be considered a FT student at Gate.

So, hypothetically, there's a route for students to not finish their 'Gate degree in four years.

One could theoretically redshirt, take 3 classes instead of 4 for a while and drag out their academic tenure until they exhaust NCAA eligibility (potentially, depends on timing).

Again, I have no idea what Rap's plans are. My insider info is long gone (to be honest I wouldn't share it here anyway, but I've been out of school for a decade now). Whatever he decides, I wholeheartedly support as he's been an excellent addition to the program.

Rap's been off from beyond the arc and I'm not sure why. Frankly most of the team has been off. You would think positive regression would kick in at some point.

They're getting the looks -- I don't think it's a Langel issue or schematic issue or what have you. The shots just...aren't falling.

But Rap's been better in some other ways, per my eye test.

I think he's done an admirable job being the de-facto starting 5 in replacement of Dana Batt. He's done better on the boards and defense than last year.

The same goes for the team generally after giving up 93 in OT to Niagara.

Bigger players can give Rap and Rayman (now the 4 as you probably know) problems on D (see: Army), but they more then hold their own.

Also, Rap needed to play an A-plus game versus Cincinnati to win that one (that game is a whole other discussion I missed out on, man where would I begin), and he did.

I believe Cincinnati's coach called him the best player on the floor. I'd tend to agree for that night at least. Biggest W in program history outside PL title games in a very long time.

Good luck to the Bison tonight.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-12-20 02:53 PM - Post#296568    

Current Pomeroy projections for the expected number of PL wins for each team:

Colgate 14.2
Boston 10.9
Lafayette 10.3
American 9.7
Bucknell 9.5
Navy 9.0
Lehigh 8.6
Loyola 8.2
Army 5.1
Holy Cross 4.5

One note on Loyola. At full strength, I think they are better than the projection. However they have been plagued by injury. In recent games they have been missing:

- Andrew Kostecka, who has been the league's top player this year; he has a sprained ankle.
- Cam Spencer, a freshman SG who was on his way to making the All-Rookie team.
- Santi Aldama, the 6-11 Spanish center who was projected to be the PL ROY. He had knee surgery a few months ago; may return by the start of February.
= Chuck Champion, senior SF who started the previous two years and also their first few games this year.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
01-12-20 03:32 PM - Post#296569    

137, any updates on Lehigh’s Karnik? I see Lynch is now back.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-12-20 04:06 PM - Post#296572    

All I know is that Karnik is in a boot and apparently injured his ankle two games ago. It doesn’t sound like he will be out for a long time, but I have no first-hand information. Lynch just returned from being academically ineligible.

JimK_LU72
Freshman
Posts 41
01-13-20 10:54 AM - Post#296586    

I've been digging to find out if Karnik has a break or just a bad sprain, but still not sure. He was moving pretty well around the bench Saturday night so I'm optimistic.

Fortunately the four freshman who see substantial minutes for us picked it up against American for a wire to wire win. We start two of them and will give you a preview of Lehigh's future Saturday night at Sojka.

Bought my seat for Saturday last night and there weren't many left in Section E. The Bison have a well deserved, long standing tradition of support in central Pa. Its a treat to visit and I hope we can give you a game. You never know with Frosh. Please hold the snow 'til Sunday.
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
01-13-20 08:39 PM - Post#296634    

Anyone besides me watching Loyola- Boston? Currently 30-8 Boston. Are they that good or is Loyola that bad?
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-13-20 09:13 PM - Post#296636    

• bison75 Said:
Anyone besides me watching Loyola- Boston? Currently 30-8 Boston. Are they that good or is Loyola that bad?

I think a combination. Boston U has been playing very well lately, and Max Mahoney is playing like a POY candidate. Although Kostecka is back tonight, he hasn't played up to his normal level. And Loyola is still missing a lot of players:

- Center Santi Aldama, potential ROY
- SG Cam Spencer, likely All-Rookie team
- PF Casmir Ochiaka, a solid big man who started the latter part of last season.
- SF Chuck Champion, who started the past two years.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-13-20 09:54 PM - Post#296638    

I was hoping to watch Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Alabama State but alas, it is delayed. So I guess LSU-Clemson it is.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-14-20 09:27 AM - Post#296646    

In his pre-second half interview, BU (Boston University) coach Joe Jones said this year's squad is his favorite team in his 10 years there.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
01-14-20 09:35 AM - Post#296647    

• JimK_LU72 Said:
Please hold the snow 'til Sunday.

Seems like a handful of Bucknell/Lehigh games were played on snowy days recently. I wonder if there’s any chance this game gets moved up from 7:00. Right now it looks snow will be worse later in the day Saturday.

JimK_LU72
Freshman
Posts 41
01-14-20 12:05 PM - Post#296656    

Could it get pushed to Sunday? That would be my choice.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-14-20 12:23 PM - Post#296657    

Anything could happen, although I can't recall a Bucknell game ever being changed due to weather. They had two away games where bad weather prevented them from getting back to Lewisburg, but the games were still played. One was at Lehigh, the other the infamous game at Navy when that area had about 40 inches of snow.

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
01-14-20 12:52 PM - Post#296663    

There was a home game against American that was changed to the next day sometime around 06-09. I only remember this because it’s been one of the only games I have missed because I got off work for the original game day but couldn’t get off for the makeup day.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
01-14-20 03:18 PM - Post#296670    

Holy Cross guard Drew Lowder is transferring. Interesting timing on the decision.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1 217161434...
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-14-20 04:51 PM - Post#296674    

Holy Cross guard Drew Lowder is transferring. Interesting timing on the decision.

Bucknell has a scholarship.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-14-20 05:03 PM - Post#296675    

Wow, what a harsh blow for Holy Cross! I was watching him the other night and thinking about how the Crusaders could really rise with him over the next few seasons.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-14-20 06:35 PM - Post#296677    

Yes, I thought he was definitely their best player. He held the ball too long and dribbled too much bit his talent is definitely there.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-14-20 06:52 PM - Post#296678    

• Bison89 Said:

Bucknell has a scholarship.

Two reasons he is not coming to Lewisburg:

1. A transfer from one PL school to another cannot be given a scholarship.

2. He had been benched for multiple games at HC for attitude problems, and it didn't appear to be getting better. Even when not being benched, he was no longer in the starting lineup, even though he was better than his replacement.

The thread on Crossports about his transfer:

http://crossports.freeforums.net/thread/4898/drew-...

One other thing to keep in mind is that another HC freshman, Ryan Wade, is reportedly Lowecer's cousin. And Wade's father was Lowder's AAU coach. While Wade is not as good as Lowder, he looks like a solid PL player. It will be interesting to see if he joins Lowder at some point.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-14-20 06:58 PM - Post#296679    

Lafayette added a transfer today, although it is unlikely to have a big impact. Specifically 6-7 SF Tomas Verbinskis transferred from Richmond. He was in his third year there - redshirted his first year, got hurt after one game his second year, and played 3 games (8 minutes) this year. He played his HS ball in Florida and apparently had offers from Richmond, Valpo, and FGCU.

He had been in the transfer portal since early December and only now landed a spot - which is very late in the game. He is likely taking the scholarship of Isaac Suffren, who transferred out last month.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-14-20 08:27 PM - Post#296684    

• Bison137 Said:
Lafayette added a transfer today, although it is unlikely to have a big impact. Specifically 6-7 SF Tomas Verbinskis transferred from Richmond. He was in his third year there - redshirted his first year, got hurt after one game his second year, and played 3 games (8 minutes) this year. He played his HS ball in Florida and apparently had offers from Richmond, Valpo, and FGCU.

He had been in the transfer portal since early December and only now landed a spot - which is very late in the game. He is likely taking the scholarship of Isaac Suffren, who transferred out last month.

How much eligibility does he have left?

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-14-20 09:07 PM - Post#296685    

• Bison89 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

How much eligibility does he have left?

There are a couple possibilities. By NCAA rule, he will be eligible after exams in December 2020 since he must do a year in residence at his new school before he plays Then he can play 1.5 years. However he can petition the NCAA for two different waivers:

1. He can request a waiver to not have to sit out the first semester of the upcoming season and play right from the beginning of the season. I think that is likely to be granted, given how little he has played.

2. He redshirted his first year and then played only one game the next year before an injury that reportedly was season-ending. In theory that would qualify him for a medical hardship waiver (often mistakenly called a medical redshirt). The only problem with that is that this year is his 3rd year in college. By rule, players are only allowed to play during their first five years in college - so getting a medical hardship waiver wouldn’t help under normal circumstances. However he could also petition the NCAA to be allowed to play during his 6th year. That sort of waiver has become almost automatic when the reason for a player missing two years was exclusively injury-related. However, because one of his two missed years was simply a decision by Richmond and him to not play his first year (to preserve a year of eligibility), it is questionable whether the NCAA would grant him a 6th year.

Having said that, it is very likely he will be on course to graduate from Lafayette no later than May of 2022, if not earlier. So I seriously doubt that LC or the PL would go along with a 6th year, allowing him to play until spring of 2023. Also, he may not be a major contributor and is unlikely to play beyond May 2022 (end of his 5th year) at the latest by mutual decision.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-15-20 01:03 PM - Post#296711    

Colgate at Lafayette tipped at 11 am for “school day” at Kirby Arena. Raiders up 3 at the half.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-15-20 01:55 PM - Post#296716    

Lafayette rallies from a 15-point second half deficit to win by 4!

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
01-15-20 02:03 PM - Post#296717    

Tyrone Perry’s game-clinching shot for Lafayette:
https://twitter.com/lafayettembb/status/1 217503652...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-15-20 02:09 PM - Post#296718    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

It should be noted that LC trailed by a point with five seconds left, before Perry hit a three.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-15-20 03:14 PM - Post#296725    

The Army-Holy Cross game in Worcester has been postponed until tomorrow afternoon due to a tragic accident in Florida involving eight HC crew members plus a coach. Vehicle was making a turn and struck by a pickup truck. One reported death and some very serious injuries. Prayers for all involved.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-15-20 05:16 PM - Post#296730    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

Upset of the PL season! (so far)

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-15-20 06:02 PM - Post#296733    

• Bison137 Said:
The Army-Holy Cross game in Worcester has been postponed until tomorrow afternoon due to a tragic accident in Florida involving eight HC crew members plus a coach. Vehicle was making a turn and struck by a pickup truck. One reported death and some very serious injuries. Prayers for all involved.

Holy Cross Student Killed, 11 Injured When Rowing Team’s Van Crashes In Florida

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
01-16-20 06:35 AM - Post#296774    

Thoughts are with the HC family..

Lehigh has to be puzzled seeing Navy score 88 points last night with only one of its big 3 in double figures. Two Freshmen, Daniel Deaver 25-9, and Sean Yoder 19, combined for exactly half of Navy's points.Place was lit every time Yoder hit a shot. Over 100 people there supporting him alone and they were loud.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-22-20 09:55 PM - Post#297227    

Three games going to OT tonight.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
01-22-20 10:21 PM - Post#297228    

Crazy night. 3 OT games, 3 underdogs win.

Holy Cross with 3 wins on season somehow gets out of the PL basement.

Whenever I feel bad about our injury luck this year I remember at least we've got it better than Loyola.

Last 0.7 seconds of Navy-BU OT must have taken 10 minutes and had 4 foul shots, 3 timeouts, an officials review and an inbounds pass hitting the ceiling.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-22-20 10:46 PM - Post#297229    

At what point do we stop calling Navy an underdog?
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
01-23-20 06:38 AM - Post#297233    

When they aren't getting 5.5 pts from the bookmakers? I was going with the very literal definition of underdog there. But fully agree Vegas and crew will start to catch-up with how they are actually playing of late.

Obviously a lot can change but other than @Colgate and @American my guess is they would be favorites in their remaining games right now. For what it's worth Kenpom projections still have them slight dogs away to Army, Loyola and Lafayette too.

res
Masters Student
Posts 839
01-23-20 12:11 PM - Post#297240    

• bison63 Said:
At what point do we stop calling Navy an underdog?

When they play a team they're favored to beat.

They were a legitimate dog last night, playing a better team, statistically speaking, and playing on the road. If the same two teams played again tonight in Boston, the opening line would be Navy +5.

nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
01-25-20 03:37 PM - Post#297377    

Andrew Funk's brother and Matt Wilson really taking it to Navy in the 1st half of potentially their last trip ever to Alumni Hall. Nice showcase for the PL.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
01-29-20 09:47 PM - Post#297776    

LU over CU At Cotterel
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-29-20 09:47 PM - Post#297777    

Lafayette beats Colgate in Hamilton to get the season sweep. They've struggled against other teams but seem to have Colgate's number.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
01-29-20 09:48 PM - Post#297778    

LC rather
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-29-20 10:38 PM - Post#297784    

• jkrun80 Said:
Lafayette beats Colgate in Hamilton to get the season sweep. They've struggled against other teams but seem to have Colgate's number.

Colgate's possible achilles heel, i.e. a lack of depth, may have reared its head. They basically have a seven-man rotation under normal circumstances, but tonight they were missing starting SG Nelly Cummings and key sub PF/C Keegan Records. Records has strep throat, and I think I saw Cummings in a boot on the bench but I'm not positive.

Btw, Colgate - coming off a title last year and leading the league by 3 games prior to tonight - had an official attendance of 930. And it didn't look that big.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-29-20 11:50 PM - Post#297791    

What about all those fans on the other side of the court under the camera?? Really!

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
01-30-20 09:16 AM - Post#297796    

Goes along with this year in college hoops overall, nothing makes sense! This league this year, if it were on a neutral court would be the whackiest tournament ever. #7 could end up in the final, there just isnt much that separates these teams.

Navy played a guy who played nine minutes all year and he dominated the last nine minutes of the first half defensively and scored nine points in 19 minutes and had four steals.

Tommy Funk and Matt Wilson showing great senior leadership at Army..

On to the second half...
Steve
Freshman
Posts 69
01-30-20 12:12 PM - Post#297818    

Lafayette is just a brutal matchup for Colgate. Credit to the Leopards. IMHO, they're the PL team best suited to hang with 'Gate given their 3-point success (29th in nation in percentage and tied for 33rd in makes).

Losing Cummings and Records last night didn't help, though (hope those two are healthy ASAP), and Gate is probably winning a shootout with those two on the floor.

It also didn't help that Lafayette had a hot shooting night and the Raiders had a lid on the basket near the end.

Of course, I think other PL teams are solid too. For example, I think Army is regressing to its mean after a tough start. I watched them play Colgate, and that game was pretty evenly matched.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the top 7 won the tournament.

As I said in the beginning of the year, I think Gate is the best team but that it's about a coin flip as to whether they are the PL's NCAA tournament representative. As some of you have said, the gap between No. 1 and the field is not that vast.

Love this Colgate team, but this is going to be a fight to the finish.

Bison137: Attendance is what it is. One of my favorite memories as a student was the 08 semi v. Bucknell, never replicated again during my time there. Great atmosphere.

But the norm there is awkward silence, sneakers squeaking and coaches yelling at players taking up much of the noise. And inflated box score attendance numbers, at least during my time.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
01-30-20 12:41 PM - Post#297825    

Steve - was also at that '08 game and agree on the atmosphere. It was packed with a good Bucknell turnout and great 2nd half comeback before the Bison fell short. That was the game after the John Griffin miracle shot against Navy (sorry Navy voice).

Also agree with your assessment on Gate's tournament chances this year. Clear favorite but with any sort of disruption to your rotation there could be trouble with a number of teams. Lucky to have HC and Leigh up next while you try to get guys healthy again.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
02-01-20 07:33 PM - Post#298248    

The fab freshman is playing tonight for Loyola and playing pretty well. He has 11 points coming off the bench so far.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-01-20 10:01 PM - Post#298315    

Loyola blew a double digit lead, but held on to win over Navy.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
02-01-20 10:43 PM - Post#298322    

Who is going to bet against Tommy Funk at this point? 33 pts and 7 3s to dispatch an admittedly disappointing Lehigh team still without Karnik.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-02-20 03:53 PM - Post#298417    

Article - and video - on Aldama's debut. With him added to the lineup and CAm Spencer expected back shortly, Loyola could be a dangerous team in the tournament.

https://pressboxonline.com/2020/02/02/santi-alda ma...

NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
02-03-20 07:15 AM - Post#298444    

If Spencer gets back, they become deeper. You can still score on them, but, you must outscore them because they will be better balanced team with Aldama out there.

Huge coup for Loyola, NBA people really high on him, his 9-game sprint to the finish will help Loyola rise up here down the stretch.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
02-05-20 09:58 PM - Post#298670    

Road teams go 4 for 4 on the night.

Army's big winning streak comes to an end as Funk and Wilson got basically no help and ended up accounting for over 70% of the teams scoring.

I watched the majority of the Navy-AU 2nd half. Looked like Navy had it in hand as they held AU scoreless for a 6 min stretch, but eventually were shot out of their zone and went downhill from there.

It's well documented by this point our Bison specific issues with this year but you have to admit it's one of the more intriguing seasons in a long time.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-06-20 09:57 AM - Post#298681    

It seems Colgate and Boston are clearly the two best teams, Lehigh and HC the two worst. There's not much separating the six in the middle. The next 5 games are critical for the Bison, especially the next 2 @Loyola and @Navy.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
02-08-20 07:10 PM - Post#299075    

Just like Wednesday Navy was in a game down the stretch and then went scoreless for an extended period. Made a spurt over the last couple minutes to make Colgate nervous, but tough week for them.

Boston pulls out a closer than expected game at home to HC and Lafayette loses at home to Lehigh as Colgate and BU take a steady hold onto the top 2 seeds. Should be a fun matchup Monday night.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
02-10-20 10:05 PM - Post#299484    

BU did their best Bison impression against Colgate tonight right down to the auto switching defense and extended 2nd half shooting drought. Missed opportunity with Rayman having an off night and Ivanuskas with some foul trouble.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
02-15-20 09:51 AM - Post#300070    

Lafayette’s Jaworski tore his ACL in their last game against Army.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-15-20 11:16 AM - Post#300086    

Lafayette’s Jaworski tore his ACL in their last game against Army.

That's terrible news. He was having a terrific season.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-16-20 04:46 PM - Post#300386    

Loyola is up 10 on Colgate at the under 4:00 TO. Better keep an eye on the rear view mirror.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
02-16-20 05:18 PM - Post#300389    

I know theoretically it's better for Bucknell for Loyola to lose, but I'm routing for whoever is playing against Colgate for the run in.

Some of 'Gate's lack of depth exposed with Rayman sitting extended minutes and then Burns fouling out with 3 mins to go on a really dumb play.

First time Aldama has really dominated a game although he can't make a foul shot to save his life. Spencer was great too from the Loyola freshman class. Completely different team with those two on the court.
NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
02-18-20 09:25 AM - Post#300501    

How would you like to be Colgate and see that group walk in as the #8-seed...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-19-20 09:05 PM - Post#300766    

Lehigh’s game at Colgate has been delayed until at least 8:30 PM. A Colgate player shattered the backboard with a dunk just prior to gametime.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-19-20 10:02 PM - Post#300774    

Unfortunately Army lost in the final seconds at Loyola. Down one, Funk drove and took some contact. There was no call and Jimmy Allen ran onto the court to complain with 4.5 seconds left. Technical and end of game. Stupid move on his part since Army still would have had a chance to tie before the two extra FT's.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-20-20 11:23 AM - Post#300821    

Current standings:

Colgate * 12-3
American 10-5
Boston U 10-5
Lafayette 9-6
Army WP . 8-7
Navy . . 7-8
Bucknell 7-8
Loyola MD 6-9
Lehigh . 4-11
Holy Cross 2-13

If the Bison end up tied with Loyola or Navy (or both), BU loses on the tiebreaker. If they end up tied only with Army, Bison wins the tiebreaker. Bucknell also loses a possible tiebreaker with Lehigh.

The tiebreaker situation is one more reason why beating Lehigh is very important. Other than getting out of the PIG completely, the best case is to finish 7th and host HC. Next best, but not nearly as good, is 8th place hosting LU. Worst case is 9th place, traveling to Lehigh. The Bison, btw, have the toughest remaining schedule of any teams fighting for those spots.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-20-20 11:31 AM - Post#300825    

We will be away on Tuesday the 3rd, so it appears I can only watch one more home game this season. Bummer, even in a bad season, I’d like to see a home playoff game.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
02-20-20 11:37 AM - Post#300830    

At this point, all that the Bison can try to do is WIN and KEEP WINNING!

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-26-20 11:34 PM - Post#301886    

Standings with one game to go
Colgate 13-4
BU (Boston University) 11-6
American 11-6
Army 10-7
Lafayette 9-8
Navy 8-9
Bucknell 8-9
Loyola 7-10
Lehigh 6-11
Holy Cross 2-15

Last Games
Bucknell at BU (Boston University)
Army at Colgate
Navy at Lafayette
American at Holy Cross
Lehigh at Loyola

Tiebreakers
--Lafayette: we split head-to-head and they'd edge us via their sweep of Colgate
--Navy: Swept us
--Loyola: we split head-to-head and both split against Colgate. I can't tell who has second place between BU (Boston University) and American. They split head-to-head. Both were swept by Colgate. Both swept Army. Both split against Lafayette...

However, Loyola was swept by both BU (Boston University) and American. We beat American once and have an opportunity to beat BU (Boston University) Saturday.

Then again, Army could be in that second-place mix too, so I think I'll call it a night.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-27-20 01:44 AM - Post#301891    

Per Bucknell’s recap of the Colgate game:
“With one game remaining in the regular season, the Bison can be no worse than the No. 8 seed, and they can jump to the No. 6 spot with a victory at Boston University and a Navy loss at Lafayette.“

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
02-27-20 09:25 AM - Post#301905    

They could have saved you a lot of time with a more punctual overview.

No wonder you can’t make morning games, you don’t go to bed at night.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-27-20 11:48 AM - Post#301933    

• Old Bison Said:
They could have saved you a lot of time with a more punctual overview.

I think I could’ve saved my own time by not over-thinking it.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-27-20 01:22 PM - Post#301941    

Loyola's Kostecka was injured last night. He came out for the second half on crutches and in a boot.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-27-20 02:38 PM - Post#301953    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Standings with one game to go
Colgate 13-4
BU (Boston University) 11-6
American 11-6
Army 10-7
Lafayette 9-8
Navy 8-9
Bucknell 8-9
Loyola 7-10
Lehigh 6-11
Holy Cross 2-15

Last Games
Bucknell at BU (Boston University)
Army at Colgate
Navy at Lafayette
American at Holy Cross
Lehigh at Loyola

Tiebreakers
--Lafayette: we split head-to-head and they'd edge us via their sweep of Colgate
--Navy: Swept us
--Loyola: we split head-to-head and both split against Colgate. I can't tell who has second place between BU (Boston University) and American. They split head-to-head. Both were swept by Colgate. Both swept Army. Both split against Lafayette...

However, Loyola was swept by both BU (Boston University) and American. We beat American once and have an opportunity to beat BU (Boston University) Saturday.

Then again, Army could be in that second-place mix too, so I think I'll call it a night.

Without really vetting this, I think these are a few more tiebreaker facts:

1. Army is locked into the four seed. They cannot finish better than that, since they were swept by both AU and Boston U and would thus lose the tiebreaker if they caught one of those two teams. Also they swept Lafayette, so they would win a tiebreaker if LC were to catch them.

2. If Navy wins on Saturday and the Bison lose, then the Bison get the 7 seed. They would either be in a two-way tie with Loyola - and the Bison now own the tiebreaker by virtue of last night's win over Colgate - or they would be in 7th place outright if Loyola loses.

If Navy and the Bison both win, then the Bison also finish 7th since it would be a two-way tie and Navy owns the tiebreaker due to sweeping Bucknell.

Same thing if Navy, Bucknell, and Loyola all lose. Bison would then be in a two-way tie with Navy and lose the tiebreaker.

If Navy and Bucknell lose but Loyola wins, then Bison fall to the 8 seed. They would be in a three-way tie, and Bucknell would lose out due to its 1-3 record vs the other two. In this scenario, Navy would be the six seed and Loyola the seven.

3. As for who the Bison might play in the second round, it could be the two seed - and that could be AU or Boston. At this point it could still go either way. If they tie due to both winning their final game, then H2H doesn't break their tie. Nor does their record vs Colgate or Army or Lafayette - since both have the same record against each of them.

Continuing with that scenario, if Navy finishes 6th (not tied but by themselves), then AU would be #2 due to its sweep of Navy. But if Bucknell and Navy were tied for 6th, then you would have to go even further down in the standings to break the tie since both teams would be 3-1 vs Bucknell and Navy combined.

And both AU and Boston have identical records against Loyola, Lehigh, and HC - so none of this would break the tie. Presumably it would then be decided by what used to be the RPI (now NET). Boston U would prevail in that case.

In the unlikely event, the two end up tied because they both lost their final game (Boston to Bucknell, and American to Holy Cross), then the tiebreaker would change. American would end up with the 2nd seed due to its better record vs Navy - or due to its better record against Bucknell and Navy combined.

Will check this a little more later today.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-27-20 04:13 PM - Post#301974    

137, the Bison do not own a tiebreaker with Loyola by virtue of last night’s win over Colgate. Like us, Loyola beat Colgate once.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-27-20 04:19 PM - Post#301975    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
137, the Bison do not own a tiebreaker with Loyola by virtue of last night’s win over Colgate. Like us, Loyola beat Colgate once.

My mistake - although the tiebreaker outcome is still the same. The Bison win last night over Colgate allowed them to eliminate Colgate as a relevant tiebreaker - which now makes American the decisive tiebreaker. Bucknell beat American once. Loyola lost both games to them. So in a two-way tie with Loyola, Bucknell prevails.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-27-20 04:44 PM - Post#301976    

One other note. Should the Bison beat Boston U, and Navy beat Lafayette, that would create a three-way tie for 5th. Navy would get the 5 seed since they swept the other two teams. But the Bison would prevail in the tiebreaker over LC for the 6 seed.

MangyOne
Freshman
Posts 96
MangyOne
02-27-20 04:46 PM - Post#301977    

137, if a position opens in the Bucknell faculty teaching Probability and Statistic or Statistical Analysis, please apply - truly a great analysis of the Bison position going into the final weekend. In my less analytical style, I just say GO BISON, Go Leopards, go Mountain Hawks, go Cadets, and go Crusaders - just to cover all our bases.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-27-20 06:39 PM - Post#301979    

• Bison137 Said:
One other note. Should the Bison beat Boston U, and Navy beat Lafayette, that would create a three-way tie for 5th. Navy would get the 5 seed since they swept the other two teams. But the Bison would prevail in the tiebreaker over LC for the 6 seed.

I'm wrong on that scenario. Navy would get the five seed, but LC would get the six due to its sweep of Colgate.

bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
02-27-20 07:35 PM - Post#301984    

This discussion reaffirms that my decision to be a liberal arts major was a good one.
MangyOne
Freshman
Posts 96
MangyOne
02-28-20 12:27 PM - Post#302027    

No matter how you look at the various scenarios, one thing seems very likely - after we play Boston tomorrow, we are most likely to be playing them again in the tourney. If we finish 6th (only possible with a win Saturday), it is likely Boston would grab the 3rd seed and we would play them again. If we finish 7th, most scenarios find Boston finishing as a 2 seed. We would play Holy Cross in a play in game, and assuming a win (not necessarily going to happen, but if it does), we would play #2 seed, again Boston. If I were Nathan Davis, I would study Boston very, very hard the next few days. Again, we could possible end up facing American, but the stars would really have to align perfectly.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-29-20 01:07 PM - Post#302339    

Tournament seeding scenarios:
https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/2/28/patrio t-l...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-29-20 02:09 PM - Post#302350    

It’s interesting that someone in the PL office has changed the way they do the tiebreaker, even though the actual rule was not changed. They say they are using a different interpretation now, but it would’ve been a lot smarter to actually re-write the rule.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-29-20 03:18 PM - Post#302361    

As I understand it, we’ll be 7th seed unless Lafayette beats Navy AND Loyola beats Lehigh.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-29-20 05:56 PM - Post#302383    

Last game of the day is Lehigh at Loyola at 5 ET. Lehigh win makes us the seventh seed hosting Holy Cross. A Lehigh loss and we are the eighth seed hosting Lehigh.

American is the 2 and Boston University is the 3.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-29-20 06:53 PM - Post#302391    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Last game of the day is Lehigh at Loyola at 5 ET. Lehigh win makes us the seventh seed hosting Holy Cross. A Lehigh loss and we are the eighth seed hosting Lehigh.

American is the 2 and Boston University is the 3.

Kostecka is not playing. Any word on his status.

Lehigh up 41-32 at halftime.
NavyVoice
Freshman
Posts 38
03-02-20 08:43 AM - Post#302649    

Stepped on a players foot vs us on Wednesday.. If he plays, they might be the most dangerous 9-seed in any tournament
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-12-20 09:48 AM - Post#304380    

• Bison137 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:

Interesting. AU had already had one freshman recruit leave before serious practice even started. With the above departures, this means three of their four new scholarship recruits (Sorenson, Samore, and Bradley Nalley) have already left the team. None of the three who departed were great players, but it is a hit to their depth.

Since Mike Brennan took over (April 2012), American has an incredible rate of recruits leaving before completing four years. In addition to the three named above, others in recent years include Sam Iorio, Drew Lamont, Max Hoekstra, Nick Macarchuk (PWO), Delante Jones, Alex Paquin, Lonnie Rivera, Andrija Matic, Gabe Brown (PWO?), Paris Maragkos, Zach Elcano (injury?), Justice Montgomery, Kade Kager, and Jonathan Davis (academics).

Not clear if they hate Brennan or hate American, or both. But the transfer rate is WAY above that of any other PL school. Consider that since Bucknell brought in scholarship athletes in 2003, a grand total of two recruits (Show and O'Brien) have left before finishing four years.

AU has had two more players enter the transfer portal: starting center Mark Gasperini, a senior with a year of eligibility left, and wing Jacob Boonyasith, who was a starter for most of the year.

With the new transfers of Gasparini and Boonyasith, the story continues to get worse as far as transfers go. It’s amazing that Brennan has lost so many players. That’s at least 19 recruited players transferring out in less than eight years.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-31-20 01:14 AM - Post#305339    

Lehigh's James Karnik enters the transfer portal. If he ends up leaving, that is a big loss for LU. My way-early All-PL team would have had him on the 2nd team for 2020-21. Might well have made 3rd team this year, had he not missed 10 PL games with an injury.

LU will still be strong at center with the return of rising junior 6-11 Nic Lynch, but they had been starting both of them down the stretch, to good effect. Karnik is clearly the better of the two.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
03-31-20 09:22 AM - Post#305361    

Possible he graduated early? You would think he will get a number of schools with interest.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-31-20 09:56 AM - Post#305381    

• bisonmania Said:
Possible he graduated early? You would think he will get a number of schools with interest.

It is possible - although Goodman's report didn't mention that he has immediate eligibility. The fans on the Lehigh message board didn't know it in any event.

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
04-01-20 12:20 PM - Post#305475    

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:

AU has had two more players enter the transfer portal: starting center Mark Gasperini,

Gasperini is transferring to UMass

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1 245384327...
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
04-05-20 08:12 PM - Post#305857    

Ivanauskas is going to grad transfer.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1 246947802...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-05-20 11:06 PM - Post#305865    

Thanks. Not unexpected, as it appeared Colgate had already used his scholarship on one of their incoming frosh. Btw, Jordan Burns - who is a true junior - has put his name in for the NBA draft. However he has not hired an agent and is free to withdraw it again. Presumably he will go through whatever pre-draft evaluations occur and get an evaluation from NBA scouts. Then he will likely pull out of the draft and return to Colgate.

Without Ivanauskas and Rayman, but with Burns, I would think Colgate slots in about 3rd or 4th in a way-too-early Patriot League preseason prediction.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
04-13-20 07:21 PM - Post#306211    

I just took a peak at the Holy Cross board. They seem pretty excited at a PF they just got a commitment from out of Canada. I don’t understand why Bucknell has stayed away from there in recent years. The patriot league has had a few pretty solid players come from Canada.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-14-20 10:25 AM - Post#306220    

• bisonmania Said:
I just took a peak at the Holy Cross board. They seem pretty excited at a PF they just got a commitment from out of Canada. I don’t understand why Bucknell has stayed away from there in recent years. The patriot league has had a few pretty solid players come from Canada.

Many on the HC board are always excited about any player who commits, so I would take that with a grain of salt. This player (Louth Coulibaly) is a 6-8 225 lb PF who may develop into a decent PL player. I would be very surprised if he turns into a star. Few mid-major players who are still available in mid-April of their senior year turn into stars.

His only reported offers were from Boston U (in July), Youngstown State (July), Delaware State (July), South Dakota (July), and Missouri-Kansas City (recently). Possibly a recent unconfirmed offer from Southern Illinois. The Boston U offer had been off the table since October.

I agree I'd like to see more recruiting activity in Canada (and Europe for that matter), but I don't see this as a big miss. A comparable for him at this point might be Malachi Rhodes, although my preference would be for Malachi. The Canadian PF I really would have liked to get is Sam Thomson, who ended up at Colgate. He had about two dozen offers, including one from Bucknell, in a short span at the end of his junior year. Thomson, like many Canadians, went to prep school in the U.S.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-14-20 10:37 AM - Post#306221    

Holy Cross has perhaps set a PL record for roster turnover in less than 12 months. For those who haven't kept track, here are the changes:

LEFT:

- Drew Lowder, a very good freshman PG, left the team in early January and is transferring.
- Marlon Hargis, 6-7 soph PF who stared a number of games this year, is transferring.
- Blake Verbeek, a thin 6-10 sophomore center who started early in the year but then saw his minutes drop, transferring.
- Ciaran Sandy, a 6-7 freshman forward (possibly a walk-on) transferred to a Juco.
- Chris Lovisolo, a 6-10 soph walk-on, left the team in November and transferred to Union.
- Lincoln Yuetter, a soph walk-on CG, is transferring.
- Clayton Le Sann, a 6-4 scholarship SG who played 20 mpg in the PL season (partly due to HC having almost no bench), is graduating.
- Jacob Grandison, a 6-6 forward who started his first two years, transferred to Illinois last summer.
- Caleb Green, a 5-10 PG who started his first two years, transferred to Fairfield last summer.

So that is six or seven scholarship players who have left since last July. Plus HC wasn't at the full allotment of scholarships even before then. Thus HC added three scholarship players in the fall and has added four more this spring. The additions, with scholarship offers per Verbal Commits, are:

ADDED:

- Malcolm Townsell, a 6-5 SG, from State Fair Community College in western Missouri. Had an offer from Chicago State.
- RJ Johnson, a 6-1 PG from NC. No reported offers, although possibly one from App State.
- DaJion Humphrey, a 6-4 CG from Detroit. Had offers from Kent, Cleveland State, Lafayette, Brown, and Sam Houston.
- Bo Montgomery, 6-5 SG/SF from Tennessee. Had offers from Campbell, Howard, and SIUE.
- Judson Martindale, a 6-6 SF from Worcester Academy. Had offers from Bucknell, Vermont, Boston U, Iona, American, Bryant, Q'pac, UNCG, Brown, Fairfield, and others.
- Louth Coulibaly, a 6-8 PF from Canada. Had offers from UMKC, Boston, Youngstown, Delaware St, South Dakota, and possibly So. IL.
- Michael Rabinovich, a 6-10 center from Worcester Academy. Had offers from Lehigh, American, Boston U, Sacred Heart, Hartford, UNH, Brown, and UMBC.

res
Masters Student
Posts 839
04-14-20 11:21 AM - Post#306223    

• Bison137 Said:
Many on the HC board are always excited about any player who commits, so I would take that with a grain of salt.

Yes, they start the season with unreasonable expectations, they then castigate the coach, athletic director, "TPTB" and the players when those expectations are not met. At the end of the season they call for the heads of everyone.

Then the recruits begin to trickle in and it all begins again. Rinse and repeat.

Obviously, I generalize as most of the posters are sane. I also congratulate them on their fanatical devotion to the program. But mark my words, when the crossports poll on the number of wins comes out before next season, the median response is going to be 15-17 or greater.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
04-14-20 12:04 PM - Post#306224    

Holy Cross will definitely not have a very balanced roster with all those freshman. A few years ago they had 4 or 5 freshman. I guess they could not find a transfer that suited the new system?? One thing with the new coach he seems committed to getting his style of players on the team or a talent upgrade!
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
04-14-20 02:16 PM - Post#306229    

Ivanauskas is transferring to Cincinnati and Chuck Champion to Albany.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-14-20 03:11 PM - Post#306231    

Gonna be honest, I wasn’t that impressed with Ivanauskas last season. For my money, Mahoney was a far better player. Ivanauskas seemed to regress some from the previous year. But I obviously did not see a ton of games.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-14-20 05:08 PM - Post#306234    

• MrPhillie Said:
Gonna be honest, I wasn’t that impressed with Ivanauskas last season. For my money, Mahoney was a far better player. Ivanauskas seemed to regress some from the previous year. But I obviously did not see a ton of games.

Yes, he definitely regressed. Went from PL POY in 2018-19 to 2nd team in 2019-20. The main factor was that he lost his ability to shoot. Here are his shooting comparables for the past two seasons, with the most recent season first:

2-pt FG Pct. 2020 - .486, 2019 -.537
3-pt FG Pct. 2020 - .265 (31-117), 2019 - .433 (42-97)
FT Pct. 2020 - .606, 2019 - .768
True Shooting Pct. * 2020 - .478, 2019 - .598

* Weights 2-point and 3-point shooting, plus fouls drawn and FT's made

I watched a fair number of his games, and a lot of his three point attempts weren't even close. Maybe some problem with his form. Btw, his rebound and block rates were almost identical both years.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-15-20 12:10 AM - Post#306242    

That is some poor shooting. His 2nd Team nod must’ve been in part due to returning POY.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-15-20 01:04 PM - Post#306256    

• MrPhillie Said:
That is some poor shooting. His 2nd Team nod must’ve been in part due to returning POY.

Yes, reputation helps. Also he was 3rd in the PL in rebounding, which also helped.

HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
04-15-20 04:54 PM - Post#306261    

Rabinowich and Martindale should be solid players but HC really has struggled the past few years filling out their lineup. Used to go to 5+ games a year at Hart Center and even with the recent retrofit, wonder how this high school sized arena affects recruiting.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-15-20 05:47 PM - Post#306264    

• Bison137 Said:
Holy Cross has perhaps set a PL record for roster turnover in less than 12 months. For those who haven't kept track, here are the changes:

LEFT:

- Drew Lowder, a very good freshman PG, left the team in early January and is transferring.
- Marlon Hargis, 6-7 soph PF who stared a number of games this year, is transferring.
- Blake Verbeek, a thin 6-10 sophomore center who started early in the year but then saw his minutes drop, transferring.
- Ciaran Sandy, a 6-7 freshman forward (possibly a walk-on) transferred to a Juco.
- Chris Lovisolo, a 6-10 soph walk-on, left the team in November and transferred to Union.
- Lincoln Yuetter, a soph walk-on CG, is transferring.
- Clayton Le Sann, a 6-4 scholarship SG who played 20 mpg in the PL season (partly due to HC having almost no bench), is graduating.
- Jacob Grandison, a 6-6 forward who started his first two years, transferred to Illinois last summer.
- Caleb Green, a 5-10 PG who started his first two years, transferred to Fairfield last summer.

So that is six or seven scholarship players who have left since last July. Plus HC wasn't at the full allotment of scholarships even before then. Thus HC added three scholarship players in the fall and has added four more this spring.

HC had another player enter the transfer portal yesterday - Connor Niego, a 6-8 212 lb PF, who started 28 games. Averaged 34 mpg in PL play, as the HC bench had shrunk. Has two years of eligibility left since he missed most of the 2018-19 season with an injury. However he may need an NCAA waiver in order to play two years at a new school. He was a fairly average PL player, with a mediocre rate of defensive rebounds but a better rate at the offensive boards. Shot a goodly number of threes and hit 34% of them.

Niego is the 6th HC scholarship player to transfer since July, and the 4th since January. Someone mentioned the large recruiting class Carmody had a few years ago. It consisted of Grandison, Green, Niego, Butler, Faw, and Copeland. With Copeland having played only a handful of games this year and his future in question, this class - which was a good one when intact, will likely end up with only two of the original six (Butler and Faw).

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
04-22-20 03:05 PM - Post#306494    

Joe Pridgen is transferring from Holy Cross. It feels like the Patriot League is losing a lot of talent.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-22-20 03:41 PM - Post#306497    

HC apparently will now be returning three scholarship players from last year: Austin Butler, Matt Faw, and Ryan Wade. The two freshman who have entered the transfer portal were their two top scorers. Pridgen averaged 17.4 ppg and Drew Lowder averaged 14.1 ppg

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
04-23-20 09:57 AM - Post#306541    

Wow, that hurts. I wonder if they opted to transfer or if their coach encouraged them to transfer.

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
04-24-20 01:30 AM - Post#306587    

Props to Austin Butler for sticking it out in Worcester
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-24-20 11:04 AM - Post#306598    

Yeah, he seems like a good guy...well at least from the halftime profile on him during a game last season. Can’t be a ton of fun there at the moment.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
04-26-20 04:10 PM - Post#306658    

• Bison137 Said:
Lehigh's James Karnik enters the transfer portal. If he ends up leaving, that is a big loss for LU. My way-early All-PL team would have had him on the 2nd team for 2020-21. Might well have made 3rd team this year, had he not missed 10 PL games with an injury.

LU will still be strong at center with the return of rising junior 6-11 Nic Lynch, but they had been starting both of them down the stretch, to good effect. Karnik is clearly the better of the two.

Karnik to Boston College

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
04-26-20 08:24 PM - Post#306664    

Looks like the Patriot League is becoming a Jr. College league for the better players

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-27-20 08:06 PM - Post#306708    

This year has set the record for PL transfers. Here is a current list - showing the school, player, new destination (if known), and whether the player moved up/down/laterally etc.

SCHOOL . Year . NAME . Ht. Pos . W/O? New School . Up/Down

American 2020 . Bradley Nalley 6-6 SF NA ?
American 2020 . Jack Sorenson 6-1 PG Augsburg University -
American 2020 . Jacob Boonyasith 6-3 SG UMBC =
American 2020 . Kelton Samore 6-9 PF Seattle Pacific -
American 2020 . Mark Gasperini 6-10 PF Massachusetts - 5th year +
Bucknell 2020 . Jimmy Sotos 6-3 PG Ohio State ++
Bucknell 2020 . Kahliel Spear 6-7 SF NA ?
Colgate 2020 . Rapolas Ivanauskas 6-10 PF Cincinnati - 5th year ++
Holy Cross 2020 . Blake Verbeek 6-10 PF NA ?
Holy Cross 2020 . Chris Lovisolo 6-9 PF Walk on Union College -
Holy Cross 2020 . Ciaran Sandy 6-7 SF Walk on? Miami Dade College J
Holy Cross 2020 . Connor Niego 6-8 SF NA ?
Holy Cross 2020 . Drew Lowder 6-1 PG NA ?
Holy Cross 2020 . Joe Pridgen 6-5 SF NA ?
Holy Cross 2020 . Lincoln Yeutter 6-2 PG Walk on NA ?
Holy Cross 2020 . Marlon Hargis 6-7 SF St. Francis (PA) =
Lafayette 2020 . Isaac Suffren 6-4 SG Howard =
Lehigh 2020 . James Karnik 6-9 C Boston College ++
Loyola (MD) 2020 . Chuck Champion 6-4 PG Albany - 5th year
=
The final entry for each player shows the quality of the player's new destination:

"++" = P6 conference
"+" = Other high major
"=" = Other D1 conference
"J" = JUCO
"E" = Player left to play in Europe
"?" = Destination not known

There are 19 transfers on the list. Sixteen are scholarship players and three are walk-ons. Three of the 16 will be in their 5th year of competition next year.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-28-20 01:28 PM - Post#306746    

Odd that Lowder hasn’t made a choice...given that he decided to transfer mid-season.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-28-20 01:33 PM - Post#306750    

• MrPhillie Said:
Odd that Lowder hasn’t made a choice...given that he decided to transfer mid-season.

Yes it has been a while. I think he itreated things as if he were a regular spring transfer. He continued to attend classes at holy Cross for second semester and apparently was in no hurry to find a new landing spot.

There was mutual interest between him and Central Michigan just prior to the virus outbreak. And I believe some other MAC schools also had shown interest. Memphis also had been mentioned and a few that I have forgotten.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.415 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:29 AM