Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Fire ND!
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-01-20 07:53 PM - Post#298261    

Being in attendance for the first time this year and witnessing ND laughing at mistakes that no coach at any level would find funny pretty much crossed the line for me. I’ve wanted to start a thread of this topic countless times this year, but decided I would hold off. After today’s loss at home and watching at how awful he is coaching whether it’s defensive stops to scouting issues (as in other teams) or even drawing up plays out of timeouts. I would say the time has come and it’s time to send him and the staff packing.
DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
02-01-20 08:06 PM - Post#298265    

Food for thought: 63% winning percentage at Bucknell, 73% career winning percentage, 2 time PL Coach of the Year.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
02-01-20 08:12 PM - Post#298270    

Yes very true with Paulsens recruits. IMO there were several years you didn’t really need a coach in a bunch of those games with that kind of talent. The current team needs a great coach.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-01-20 08:13 PM - Post#298271    

Of these winning percentages you speak of how much of that is actually Dave Paulsen’s credit? Food for thought have you looked at ND’s senior class this year or his first class of recruits?
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-01-20 08:18 PM - Post#298276    

A couple of weeks ago, in the post game with Doug, Coach Harrison was explaining how pleased they were with the defense switching. Coach Davis said pretty much the same thing today, as a positive. I guess he was looking for some lemonade. But really?? Just sayin'

Isn't this the first team that is 100% recruited by ND and staff?

Maybe there are more issues beyond strategy selection and in game adjustments

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-01-20 08:26 PM - Post#298280    

Certainly a disparity in overall talent DP was able to recruit versus what ND has. I know coaches have different styles but to me, Davis’ players follow his unemotional, often passionless approach. When you are at a talent disadvantage you need to use other tools such as focus, creativity, fundamentals, and getting fired up...Bucknell seems to lack all of those. In huddles, I’m not sure what Davis is drawing up. Also during huddles, how many players are paying attention? Seems the video board captures many players’ attention rather than the huddle.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
02-01-20 08:48 PM - Post#298296    

Ellis and King were high profile recruits. Sotos was as well. Toomer had MANY offers. Each class under Davis has had a top level PL talent recruit. The rest of each class has had puzzle pieces that are typical for PL team, IMHO.

Regression by these players is the result of poor leadership and even worse coaching. Nate Sestina got out of dodge!
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
02-01-20 08:54 PM - Post#298299    

Nate Sestina had no choice. You guys crack me up.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-01-20 08:55 PM - Post#298300    

• Bison54 Said:
A couple of weeks ago, in the post game with Doug, Coach Harrison was explaining how pleased they were with the defense switching. Coach Davis said pretty much the same thing today, as a positive. I guess he was looking for some lemonade. But really?? Just sayin'

You’ve touched on an issue that definitely scares me. The coaching staff seems proud of a defensive strategy that has made Bucknell one of the worst teams at defending the two point shot in the entire country. It is the worst Bison defense in HISTORY in this area. And yet they seem proud of it. They don’t seem to understand that automatically switching, so that a bison guard is constantly trying to guard a 6-8 or 6-9 post player near the baskets makes no sense at all. Just as bad is that a Bison big man must defend a quick guard on the perimeter, and the wings are forced to cheat away from their man to help out on the mismatch in the post. And the other teams are smart enough to exploit this bizarre strategy.

Good teams switch as a last resort if it is going to create a mismatch. But Bucknell automatically switches, so that the opponent can create the most favorable matchup’s for themselves. I heard from a source that I believe is reliable that many of the players do not like this defensive fstrategy. Hopefully it will be radically changed at some point.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-01-20 09:05 PM - Post#298308    

By the way, this was the worst home loss versus a patriot league opponent, in at least 20 years. Possibly a lot longer. I will check the years prior to 2001 tomorrow.

raybucknell12
Freshman
Posts 54
02-02-20 11:03 AM - Post#298362    

For me, the backbreaker was the American game back in January. After that final defensive possession (up 2 with seconds to go), in which there was no ball pressure and a defensive switch leading to a wide-open, game winning 3, one of our seniors and team leaders visibly ripped into the coaching staff. It seems like ND has lost this team.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
02-02-20 11:59 AM - Post#298371    

I could not agree with you more about Davis losing the team! The video that the team does at the media timeout in the first half really shows how uninterested the team is. Davis sits and goes over a play and much of the team is focused on the video! I know this has been posted by a few on this board in the past including me. I will say this it drives me totally crazy how the team does not respect the staff and how the staff does not see this!! There are a lot of other things you can see during a game that shows a lack of coaching focus or respect.
candyfan
Masters Student
Posts 459
candyfan
02-02-20 03:25 PM - Post#298414    

While I don't disagree with the criticisms being levied against Davis and the Staff, I hesitate to indict them all to firing everybody! We have a different situation here then we've seen before.

Charlie Woolum got on top and for the most part, kept the team there with his relaxed style.

Pat Flannery brought huge energy but mundane players into the system until finally hitting GOLD with his double NCAA winners!

Paulsen inherited no talent his first year and won about 5 games? Again, high energy but great recruiting followed with big time winning.

Now Davis inherited great talent and won with them. Let's not forget that he won big at Randolph Macon. Now comes a possible slump wherein the recruits are not up to the standards we're used to? Let's give him a chance to work out of it!
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
02-02-20 03:26 PM - Post#298415    

Mob with Pitchforks and Torches:

https://youtu.be/qLvGnro4Cgw
New season, new team, new dream . . .

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-02-20 04:11 PM - Post#298419    

I don’t quite agree with the mob analogy, but I also think some criticism is warranted and certainly allowed in a fan forum. Even at Bucknell.

Perhaps firing Davis is extreme at this point, but he deserves some criticism. I’d be surprised if Truax is happy with the season thus far. It will take 2-3 sub-.500 years in a row along with drop off in season tickets for Davis to be fired, in my opinion. Perhaps another issue is that Davis doesn’t seem overly likable. His personality is lacking, especially compared to Flannery and Paulsen, from what I can tell.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
02-02-20 06:53 PM - Post#298428    

• MrPhillie Said:
I don’t quite agree with the mob analogy, but I also think some criticism is warranted and certainly allowed in a fan forum. Even at Bucknell.

Indeed, it is, Phillie. And there has been plenty of criticism expressed here, a lot of it, I would say, deservedly so. But, this thread is entitled, "Fire ND!". I think you would agree that's a step up from "some criticism". To say nothing of the fact that it ain't gonna happen for quite some time, if ever. So I suggest people freely bring their gripes and otherwise express their frustrations. I get that people want to win, but there's a reason we're in the Patriot League, folks. Not at all costs.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
02-02-20 09:44 PM - Post#298431    

Game tomorrow night. You gotta play through it and that’s up to the kids. As with everything in life, experience and maturity are the greatest teaches. If I’ve learned anything in life it is that failure is always someone else’s fault. Wasn’t it JFK who said that “victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan” I’m sure ND feels like an only child right now. I will also be the first to admit, as I have said repeatedly, that I am personally disheartened that we are not competitive within a PL context. The fall off has been precipitous. Time to 🥜 up and move on. In the likely event it doesn’t improve there’s always bourbon 🥃!!!!
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
02-03-20 02:18 PM - Post#298479    

• res Said:
  • MrPhillie Said:

Indeed, it is, Phillie. And there has been plenty of criticism expressed here, a lot of it, I would say, deservedly so. But, this thread is entitled, "Fire ND!". I think you would agree that's a step up from "some criticism". To say nothing of the fact that it ain't gonna happen for quite some time, if ever. So I suggest people freely bring their gripes and otherwise express their frustrations. I get that people want to win, but there's a reason we're in the Patriot League, folks. Not at all costs.

Agree absolutely. “Fire ND,” that’s crazy, and the kind of thing you’d expect to find on the HC board. As long as I can remember, and that is about as long as anyone on the board, Bucknell has never fired a men’s hoops coach. This board played a role in getting a women’s hoops coach fired, but that was for a lot more than just losing. Nuff said about that.

Four winning seasons for ND, four straight PL titles and we are going to fire him for one losing season? And to boot, this is with two of the most highly rated recruits in Bucknell history poised to attend. I would have to say, that the highest rated recruit ( at the time of commitment)of the Paulsen era was Cam Ayers. Now Muscala turned out to be the all time great, but he was not even the highest rated recruit in his class. That would have been Joe Willman, who turned out to be pretty darn good in his own right.

My point is, at our level recruits are largely a crap shoot. If college recruiters knew how good Muscala would become, he’d probably been a Gopher instead of a Bison. Nana was a raw talent but new to the game, and somewhat of an unknown. Those are the kind of breaks you need to get in the PL, but they don’t happen every year.

ND has a record, and before this year it did not include losing. I’m all for being able to express ones opinion on this board. God knows I’ve expressed enough of them over the past 15 years. And my opinion on this issue is that “Fire ND” is not a reasonable discussion at this time.

Btw, fwiw in response to Candyfan, no disrespect but I thought that the 2008 team that Coach DP went 8-23 with had a lot better talent than that record indicated. Enoch Andoh came in as one of Bucknell’s highest rated recruits ever and DP turned him into a benchwarmer. Classic case of forcing the coach’s system on the players as opposed to playing the system that suited the talent on hand imo.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-03-20 08:50 PM - Post#298504    

After watching this anybody that disagrees is watching something entirely different.
raybucknell12
Freshman
Posts 54
02-03-20 09:02 PM - Post#298506    

Another game, another display of the same coaching mistakes. We had no offensive flow...because we don’t even have an offense we’re running. Our best chance to score is in transition. Our half-court offense doesn’t even exist. Don’t even get me started on defense.

At what point do you accept that what you’re doing isn’t working? Is this our new normal?
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-03-20 09:08 PM - Post#298508    

I am afraid it is the new normal. Get used to it.

raybucknell12
Freshman
Posts 54
02-03-20 09:10 PM - Post#298509    

That’s what I’m afraid of.
raybucknell12
Freshman
Posts 54
02-03-20 10:09 PM - Post#298513    

Can someone explain that end of game sequence? We moved the ball up, what, two feet, sacrificing out last timeout. A timeout we could have used when Jimmy was struggling to get the ball inbounds. What a frustrating way to lose.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
02-03-20 10:31 PM - Post#298515    

You mean the same sequence that started with us 94 ft from the basket with 3.6s and ended with one of our best 3 pointer shooters having a chance to tie the game? Just because the kid fumbled a catch he makes 9 times out of 10 doesn't negate the fact the coaching staff put him in a position to be successful.

As strange as the TO may have seemed you take that trade every time.

Coaches coach, players play. Both need to be better than they were tonight. But the last sequence ended up as good as you reasonably could ask for given the situation.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-03-20 10:41 PM - Post#298516    

Seemed to settle for a lot of 3’s down the stretch. Although Meeks had a few great chances in close but couldn’t hit. Bison got hot for a stretch but played more lousy basketball than they played well. Lafayette was trying to help us but shooting 1-15 to end the game will result in a loss every time.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
02-03-20 10:42 PM - Post#298517    

It’s really bad. Worst I’ve ever seen even in the one right win DP season. This team has far more talent than one and they look totally discombobulated. What do they even do in practice? The same crap that doesn’t work in the game?
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-03-20 10:45 PM - Post#298518    

I agree. That last timeout on the floor made no sense. I understand that two feet may make a difference in some circumstances but, where the ball was located I don’t believe it made a difference. If you are directly under the hoop I would 100% agree with that call. I will still stick to the reason why this thread was created. “ND is a bad coach and needs to go”.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
02-03-20 11:09 PM - Post#298519    

I thought the play call was decent if it was designed to get Meeks that 3. Normally when bucknell has chances to draw up out of bounds plays and end of half plays they seem to get a terrible look so that was nice to see. Just curious why Moore was on the floor for that last play if he wasn’t going to be the inbounder. Maybe to set a screen? I would’ve just rather seen another shooter out there.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
02-04-20 07:37 AM - Post#298523    

Setting the key screen is exactly what Bruce did with Avi and Funk drawing attention away from the wing. Especially in the circumstance where any more straightforward play design just ends up with Lafayette giving their last foul. From a position that's sub 3% win probability Meeks ended up in a spot that is significantly more favorable than that. Take issue with any number of things from the first 39m 54s of the game, but I don't get nitpicking the last sequence.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-04-20 03:04 PM - Post#298540    

I wanted to bring this up as well in-regards to being in attendance last night. I'm going to take a stab on the time left in the game because I don't remember the exact time. Around the 3 min mark Newman checked in for Bruce when he picked up his 4th foul and when Bucknell had possession of the ball Newman had a wide open dunk while standing in the paint with the ball at the top of the arc. They did not look at him once and it led to I think a turnover. As soon as the turnover hit his head dropped and he was pulled. Now with that said fast forward to the end of the game. Win or lose Bucknell usually goes to center court for a team effort talk I guess you could call it. Newman was no where close to that and when the team put their hands in to break he was already headed to the locker room. I don't know if you could see this on TV but, in attendance you could see it.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
02-04-20 06:46 PM - Post#298561    

I was resisting to even putting my pseudonym to this topic and would ask that the administrator remove the thread from the Board. That does not mean I'm happy with the state of affairs nor agree with all of the decisions being made or even the execution of same. However, if I understand how Bucknell's coaching contracts work in the norm then assuming ND;s contract was renewed on a revolving 5 year basis last year he would still have 4 years left contractually at seasons end. Assuming he is paid circa 200K annually before "other" income, the University would likely be eating 800K in consequence. Anybody proposing this as a realistic course of action needs to take a VERY LARGE chill pill.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-04-20 07:35 PM - Post#298565    

Someone can’t take the truth because the truth hurts! Do some research on ND in the past and look at records because clearly it’s the same trend. Look at his teams with all his recruits vs his team with the last coach’s recruits and compare numbers.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
02-04-20 07:40 PM - Post#298567    

Your pseudonym is spot on. I just explained the business decision, Grow up
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-04-20 07:47 PM - Post#298568    

First, I don’t take personal shots at people on the board. I think your “grow up” comment is childish.
Lastly, I guess I could say it was a terrible business decision in the end.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
02-04-20 10:25 PM - Post#298570    

My favorite line is asking the administrator to remove the thread! Seriously?
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
02-04-20 10:48 PM - Post#298571    

If the guy that runs the Board has any class at all that’s what he should do. Nite Nite
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
02-04-20 11:26 PM - Post#298576    

Sorry, Old Bison, but I could not disagree more. IMO, this is the type of topic that fans should discuss.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
02-05-20 11:40 AM - Post#298596    

No kidding. Old Bison now has purity of content tests for fan boards. Hilarious!

scorekeeper
Freshman
Posts 59
02-05-20 11:47 AM - Post#298597    

Bunch of grumpy old men lol!
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-05-20 02:16 PM - Post#298616    

Maybe should use a "?" instead of "!"

A subject worthy of debate, but as a question rather than a demand.

I give him credit for taking responsibility .. and for allowing others to get credit for the good.

After a loss, he takes the interview. After a win, an assistant and a couple of players take the interviews. I am getting tired of his interviews; but he does take the mic and the "heat" as it were from Birdsong.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
02-05-20 02:59 PM - Post#298629    

• Bison54 Said:
Maybe should use a "?" instead of "!"

A subject worthy of debate, but as a question rather than a demand.

Bison54, that is a good idea, but ultimately, this was The Psycho of Sojka's thread, and as such, his subject. It would seem that he clearly feels that Coach Davis should be shown the door. So, while I might agree with you, I understand Psycho's use of "!".

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
02-06-20 12:12 PM - Post#298695    

• Old Bison Said:
That does not mean I'm happy with the state of affairs nor agree with all of the decisions being made or even the execution of same.

I'm not sure what about above was unclear, so let me RESTATE. I have expressed my basketball sentiment above while explaining the realities of the legal and contractual issues that would be at hand with respect to this topic (i.e., this isn't even VAGUELY in the realm of short-term possibility).

Also, I am not posting this because I feel I have to "defend" my position in any regard. I am responding because I'm mature and pragmatic. So, if the topic has a 0% chance of occurring than why post? Culture is not easy to create but it is easy to destroy. To anyone disaffected it gives license to being more disaffected.

With respect to my taking "personal shots" and being "childish", let me be clear on that also. ND has forgot more basketball than the three of you combined. Also, just to amuse me I would like to see a detailed list of your replacement candidates (hint: just to obviate your #1 response DF isn't leaving W&M).

Scorekeeper, you are in fact are the only prescient one; I am BOTH old and grumpy. However, I will be at school for Mike's jersey retirement and the alumni game on the 15th of Feb and will be in the men's weight room at Sojka Sat morning b4 the start. Come by and wrap your hand around my bicep...its impressive!(Imogee smile face). Meaning...I'm working on the OLD part...can't help you with the GRUMPY part.

If the weight room is crowded I'm the handsome guy

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
02-06-20 12:26 PM - Post#298696    

• Old Bison Said:
Scorekeeper, you are in fact are the only prescient one; I am BOTH old and grumpy. However, I will be at school for Mike's jersey retirement and the alumni game on the 15th of Feb and will be in the men's weight room at Sojka Sat morning b4 the start. Come by and wrap your hand around my bicep...its impressive!(Imogee smile face). Meaning...I'm working on the OLD part...can't help you with the GRUMPY part.

Old Bison, I plan to be there also. Should we bring you a Bison walking stick? Here is a nice one: https://www.ebay.com/i/223710679770?chn=ps &nor...

NoMoney89
Freshman
Posts 89
02-07-20 07:03 PM - Post#298879    

• Bison89 Said:
  • Old Bison Said:

Old Bison, I plan to be there also. Should we bring you a Bison walking stick? Here is a nice one: https://www.ebay.com/i/223710679770?chn=ps &nor...

And Bison '89 That stick is from Ukraine! How on point! Stealth political post? J/K See you on the 15th or the 14th at the Shanty if you're coming up early.

No Money AKA GMoney'89

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
02-08-20 10:51 AM - Post#298962    

That's actually a pretty cool walking stick!
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-08-20 09:01 PM - Post#299108    

For tonight’s lovely showing, if ND wants to start winning games he should start drawing up plays other than 3pt. Shots. 8-35 behind the arc is ridiculous. When you start seeing that they aren’t falling and that your attempts are climbing you need to pull the plug. Could be a different outcome if you cut that 35 down to 20 and you take 15 shots while driving the ball to the hole. A tip from yours truly “The person that wants ND gone!”
raybucknell12
Freshman
Posts 54
02-08-20 09:05 PM - Post#299110    

I’d love if someone on this board could point me to the offense that we run. Because I just don’t see it. Seems to me we love to pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock gets to 10 then hoist up a contested 3. I don’t blame these kids for this awful showing (although even our open shots were not falling).

I sure hope that tonight’s game is rock bottom for us.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-12-20 10:34 PM - Post#299770    

I’ll just agree with my post last game. Stop shooting 3’s when they aren’t dropping! I will add though and say I dont know what ND sees in switching every damn possession, but it seems to be working if he wants an L over a W!
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-19-20 09:59 PM - Post#300773    

I’m glad we won against maybe one of the worst Holy Cross teams in the last decade but, if we weren’t hot from behind the arc I don’t think we win that game. The switching is still dumb and Davis needs to learn how to coach the switch when it is necessary. Every screen/possession doesn’t require it. I will still stand behind my thread of getting rid of ND even though we beat a terrible team.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-23-20 02:57 PM - Post#301537    

Over 52% of our total FG’s were 3’s and we hit 7. That’s a great way to win a game. #HotGarbage
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-21-20 07:09 PM - Post#304970    

I’ll just bump this to the top because I wonder if opinions have changed yet. 🤔
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-24-20 07:14 AM - Post#305061    

“and I bumped and I bumped again”

- Third Eye Blind (Semi Charmed Life)
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-27-20 02:48 PM - Post#305161    

And I don't know how it started (and I don't know how) But I'm ready to go, I'm ready to......

Bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump

- Usher (Bump)
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
04-03-20 11:19 AM - Post#305674    

Now the Jimmy transfer...I kind of had a suspicion this was coming because of me talking to some people at an away game. The answer I got from these people was he was not happy with coaching. I’ll just leave it at that.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-03-20 11:23 AM - Post#305677    

Maybe you’re not who I thought you were
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
04-03-20 11:24 AM - Post#305678    

Jimmy may not be the last one either!
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-03-20 11:24 AM - Post#305679    

Yes, it was very evident he was not happy with the offense and defense being run. I had several conversations with people close to him.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-03-20 11:27 AM - Post#305682    

The kid will look back and understand that life decisions shouldn’t be based on what basketball offense or defense is being run. Wish him the best
raybucknell12
Freshman
Posts 54
04-03-20 12:09 PM - Post#305695    

• Old Bison Said:
The kid will look back and understand that life decisions shouldn’t be based on what basketball offense or defense is being run. Wish him the best

That you, one, have any shred of understanding of why he transferred, and, two, think you know what is best for him shows how completely out of touch you are.

I'm sad that he's leaving the program--his heart and toughness made us all proud. But, I'm also empathetic as to his situation and hopes he finds a new place to call home. Much like Nate, I'll be rooting for him hard next season wherever he lands (unless its Lehigh lol).

I've made my opinions about the coaching staff on this board quite clear. Its never a good sign if your best returning player leaves before his senior year, and amplifies whatever issues he was having with the program.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-03-20 01:54 PM - Post#305712    

Ray B, I already replied to this on the other thread. That said, I didn’t say I know why he transferred. I was responding to 137 who said he Talked to people who said he didn’t like the offense or defense. He’s now voted with his feet. Good for him.

What I find interesting is your taking exception to me, and assailing me by wrongly stating that I either said, or conjectured about, WHY he transferred. I did not. On the other hand it’s clear it ok to conjecture that he left because of the coaching staff. Bit of a double standard but not important.

Let’s be clear however. If the kid is leaving his junior year BEFORE the 1x rule has officially sanctioned then OF COURSE he’s blaming it on the coaching staff. Only other real possibility is his girlfriend is transferring to OSU.

Let’s look at the facts. I agree with what someone else (Mr Phillie?) already said in that he was the best all around player on the team. Also my personal favorite as I saw so much of myself in the kid. That said, he didn’t make the PL 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all league. The answer seems to be to transfer to the B10. To what end? Another year of basketball? When Chris Haas was a freshman he sat on the bench while Ryan F, Ryan Hill and Casper played in front of him. I called that backcourt “the gang that couldn’t shoot straight”. I love Dave P but it was one of the most egregious coaching decisions I’d ever seen. I went to Charles Lee 5x and said WTF? Chris waited for his time and had an excellent career as we all know.

The reality is he was the starting PG and played 30 mpg (?) and took any shot he liked (like everyone else for that matter), So what’s the beef exactly? When we are children and in early adulthood and something isn’t 109% to our liking the first inclination is for us to look externally. It’s endemic at that stage of life. Growth involves maturity and maturity involves introspection...it’s tough to get honest but that is exactly where growth happens. The world is filled with people that need someone else to blame...it’s the coaches fault...it’s the bosses fault - if we’re not getting the result we want then someone beside us has to be at fault. Tough way to go through life.

Steven Casper couldn’t shoot a lick but he sure learned to be a competitor. BU won the PL because Mahoney is 2x the competitor than Ivanauskas.

You want to win the PL again. Find kids that look internally

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
04-03-20 09:40 PM - Post#305739    

Just throwing this out, with no inside knowledge or info, but...it curious that as long as the team was winning, he was okay with the system, or at least willing to put up with it.

Don’t doubt that he had problems with coaching, but the losing season, and the fact that this will be a different world when school resumes had to factor in heavily. I seriously doubt that there will be a PL football season this year, and who knows about basketball. It is probably not a world in which a kid wants to be far from home. So yeah, maybe there are a lot of reasons. One thing is sure, life is not going back to what it was for quite some time, if ever.
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
04-06-20 10:36 AM - Post#305891    

A question more than a comment for this thread. Looking at thoughts regarding the performance of the Assistant Coaches. My perception is that recruiting is getting better but don't see any consistency in offensive or defensive strategy. Usually there is an assistant responsible for match ups and taking away the strengths of the opposition. May all be on ND but Bison competitive strategy not showing improvement, particularly the past two years.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
04-06-20 06:38 PM - Post#305912    

We miss John Griffen

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
04-07-20 03:46 PM - Post#305947    

Old Bison you have some unique perspectives. Haas was NOT Division 1 ready his freshman year. He waited his time because he was scrawny and couldn't defend worth a lick!
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-09-20 12:45 PM - Post#306043    

He would have averaged 10-11 points as a freshman. provided range which we needed and was bouncy. Paulson didn't play him because he was a MTM defense first coach. What;s unique...we had no backcourt scoring and you take it in the shorts a little defensively to get what you need offensively.,,its a simple risk/reward tradeoff. Alsom he was just as "scrawney" as a senior as he was as a freshman and was the same scrawney kid I saw pump in 34 in mone half at Army and 34 against Nova AT NOVA when the were ranked in the top 10 in the country. What's more unique I'm not even gonna address
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-09-20 02:14 PM - Post#306054    

For the statistical mavens

Some really BAD COACH's:

Phil Jackson - Career W-L %
CBA - Albany Patroons .565
Bulls - .738
Lakers - .676
Pres/GM Knicks - .325

Steve Kerr - Career W-L %
GS '15-'19 - .785
GS '20 - .231

Pat Flannery - BUCKNELL
Career - .566
1994-2004 & 2008 - .510
2005-2007 = .747

What I find particularly interesting was 137's commentary prior to/or during the PL tourney that Joe Jones was also a lousy coach. For reference:

Joe Jones - Carreer W-L %
Columbia - .443
BU - .531

Interesting that such a bad coach could get hired after CU with a .443 career winning %
Interesting that such a bad coach could go to the NIT in 2014 and a non-corona NCAA in 2020 while beating Colgate at Cotterell in the PL final. Also, was .531 at BU vs Flannery's .566.

Interesting further that Steve Kerr was such a great coach for 5 years and then such a bad coach this year, Also, that Phil Jackson was a "basketball genius" in Chicago and LA and then brought the "triangle offense" to NYC and went 80-166 in 3 years. Clearly he developed early onset and forgot everything he knew about basketball previously.

Phil Martelli was a career .575 coach at SJU over 24 years and took them to 6 NIT's and 7 NCAA's. His career W-L % was 9 pts higher than Flannery's and he was fired. Whose a better coach Martelli or Billy Lange and Griff (IN THE FUTURE!!!) coming off 6-26 or .188?

NATHAN JONES IS .613 at BUCK

How's that for stat's

Lastly, until Jay W is a career .722 coach at Nova and prior to beating Iowa in the first round at the Barclay's Center in 2016 they were saying he couldn't win the big one...until he did.
Tony Bennett is a career .743 career coach at UVA and after 10 years that wasn't enough. Like Jay, they were saying he couldn't win the big one...until he did.

Husky, I just cant understand for the life of me that with everything you and 137 and Psycho know about hoop that instead of coaching you're posting on an "opinion board" about hoop.

UNIQUE for sure

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-09-20 02:17 PM - Post#306055    

OK...so now let me explain my post...

Players win games and players lose games
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-09-20 02:45 PM - Post#306056    

Just out of curiosity...prior to this year's 14-20, ND had a career W-L record at BUCK of .660.

Did he make the decision to switch to the CYO offense this year or was he using the CYO offense the prior 4 years as well?

Fair question in my mind
DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
04-09-20 04:31 PM - Post#306061    

Totally agree. Amazing how a multiple time COY, league champion leading coach can become a lousy, CYO level coach who should be FIRED! One season of adversity, poor team chemistry, injuries, strategies that obviously didn’t work, and the program is shot! Sounds like typical fair weather fans to me. Go Bison!
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
04-09-20 07:02 PM - Post#306068    

Old Bison- I guess this topic really gets under your skin and that’s fine. It was my opinion to have him fired and many others believe in my topic. I agree that Davis’s stats look amazing every year since this year, but you also have to consider how many of those titles and banners that were hung up over the years should be added onto an asterisks and have DP before it. I would say a majority of those wins were from DP’s recruits and so forth. ND’s recruits are subpar in my opinion. I would say that his best recruit that he has had in this headcoaching days at Bucknell just left to go to OSU. All I’m saying there.
If you are feeling bored in quarantine I have a task for you that you can’t make an excuse on. Go look up Davis’s numbers at Randolph–Macon College when he had the ex coaches recruits vs. all of his recruits. When you do that I want you to reply to this message with your findings. I’ll bring you to the light.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
04-09-20 07:47 PM - Post#306073    

Sesstina to Kentucky and he excels. Sotos to Ohio States. Spears gone.

And Old Bison think everything is great and the problem is the players that ND recruits. Bizarre.

Needless to say, the last 15 years were fun and now they’re over. Time to rebuild.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-09-20 08:14 PM - Post#306075    

• The Psycho of Sojka Said:
Old Bison- I guess this topic really gets under your skin and that’s fine. It was my opinion to have him fired and many others believe in my topic. I agree that Davis’s stats look amazing every year since this year, but you also have to consider how many of those titles and banners that were hung up over the years should be added onto an asterisks and have DP before it. I would say a majority of those wins were from DP’s recruits and so forth. ND’s recruits are subpar in my opinion. I would say that his best recruit that he has had in this headcoaching days at Bucknell just left to go to OSU. All I’m saying there.

Looking back, these are the players ND inherited:

SR - Chris Hass, Dom Hoffman, Ryan Frazier
JR - Ben Oberfeld, John Azzinaro, DJ MacLeay
- - - -
SO - Nana Foulland, Zach Thomas, Stephen Brown
FR - Nate Sestina, Kimbal Mackenzie, Nate Jones
PLUS one available scholarship.

That is one of the most talented rosters in PL history. The combined freshman/sophomore class is in the discussion as THE most talented two-year group of players ever in the PL - and ND was lucky enough to have this group for 3-4 years. Those two classes produced six 1st-team All-PL awards, three 2nd-teamers, and two 3rd-teamers. Would have been one more had Mackenzie not been hurt the first 2.5 months of his junior year. Also Chris Hass was a two-time 1st teamer. Also add in six awards for the All-Defensive team.

With the above talent, it would have been hard for any coach not to be very successful. ND's first team not led by players recruited by DP, Dane Fisher, and Aaron Kelly was this year's team. Ultimately he will be judged by how he does with his own players. Hopefully a lot better than this year.

One puzzle is that the defense he used this year and parts of last year is quite different than what he used his first three years. The hallmark of the recent defense, i.e. the automatic switching one-through-five, has been criticized by many, including Old Bison, who has criticized it on many occasions. He has also criticized a number of elements of the offense. Hopefully ND will learn from his mistakes and focus on a more effective defense next year.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-09-20 08:37 PM - Post#306076    

ND’s strategies and game management have been scrutinized at one time or another by most on this board. Less scrutiny when winning, more when losing. That’s what fans do in every sport. Overall, coaches are judged on who they recruit, how well the staff gets those players to play, and how many wins result. Sometimes, the talent can overcome the other issues. Old Bison says players win/lose games. I certainly think they are the most important variable, but not the only one. Sometimes players overcome poor coaching and sometimes great coaching overcomes mediocre talent. When the coaching and talent are subpar, that’s when losing occurs most frequently. ND better hope his latest recruits can play, otherwise, this past season will be his new norm.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-10-20 11:33 AM - Post#306094    

Ok so now we are focused on the issue. Amazing what one has to go through to get to the issue. Psycho, believe me when I tell you that nothing has gotten under my skin. I was BRUTAL in my commentary in OOC. I don’t believe in scripted substitution patterns in the first half...I believe matchups on the floor are one of the most important game to game variables there are. For instance, putting Xander on Saeed Nelson was criminal. Spear and Newman actually gave him nightmares...counterintuitive. That said, most coaches today are system coaches. I worked for Tom Davis who along with Pitino was one of the earliest of system coaches. GARY Williams and Bruce Pearl (who was on the same staff) are direct clones on Tom. NOTHING happens in a vacuum. The other teams have coaches and players that want to win as well. Asking about ND’s inherited Players at RM & Buck is absolutely comical. THAT’S MY POSITION AND NOW YOU ARE CONVENIENTLY USURPING IT. Yes, if you want to say
recruiting is down then I agree. Would I have offered Timmerman? No. But as I said previously, it’s a case of taking a big guy who can shoot to a bad level. You guys think everything happens in a vacuum and that magically the kids you like better than Timmerman decide to commit. It doesn’t always happen that way! I’ve said a million times that “recruiting is a funny thing” and nobody knows how kids will project. How did CJ McCollum wind up at Lehigh? If Chris Haas went to Duke he’d be a household name. Stop the nonsense...it’s not that easy. You just don win every yea, year after year! What was UNC’s record this year...? So, by that logic Roy Williams is a crappy coach as well. He was in the National Championship game 2 out of the prior four years. By your rationale, Tony Bennet should have been fired mid-season. You’re not under my skin...I write and move on. Bucknell basketball is an elective passion and not my life. You are the guys who have clearly let it get UNDER your skin. Implying that a good man like Nathan is incompetent and deserves to lose his job! I’m not the person without perspective, and my perspective is in line with Bucknell's (and every other institution like it) mission statement. Let me go back to where I started, Jimmy transferring shows only that too much family overcame a 20 year old kids maturity and life experience level. It is not a statement on Bucknell’s basketball program. And, as far as it being a surprise you only had to be at a bar in Washington DC to know this was coming a long time ago.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-10-20 11:41 AM - Post#306099    

Timmerman btw is a poster child for pick and pop...especially if you contrast him with Newman. That’s how things sometimes go wrong!
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-10-20 01:39 PM - Post#306115    

There are certainly things I don’t care for about Davis’ coaching style, decisions, personality....but getting fired after one very poor season is not appropriate. Of course there are times coaches absolutely deserve to be fired, just like any other profession. In reality, schools like a Bucknell will rarely fore a coach simply because of economics/finances.

But outside of NCAA or school violations or crimes, what would have to happen for you to fire a coach, Old Bison? Would there ever be a point where you would fire a good man like Davis? If it is the players that win/lose games, should a coach ever be fired? For me, different variables of recruiting, team chemistry, team success all play into this decision.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-10-20 03:48 PM - Post#306119    

It’s clearly not just the players who win and lose games. That is true if one team has far superior talent. But it is definitely not true when it comes to closely matched teams. Flannery, for example, won games this with inferior talent before he had scholarships. And a number of games have been won or lost in the endgame by good coaching or by bad coaching.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-10-20 04:07 PM - Post#306120    

Mr Phillie...no problem with your last line, but the sample size isn't one season. For perspective and with respect to your question one can look at Fran O'Hanlon's career at Lafayette. He's been there for 26 years with a career W-L% of .457. In 2014 and 2019 he won 61% of his games. In the four years (2015-18) sandwiched in between, he won 29% of his games. Was he a good coach in 2014 that became a crappy coach in the years '15-'18 and became a good coach again in 2019? I can't answer that question or the question of whether he should have been fired in the period where he lost over 70% of his games but I can tell you that he didn't use the "high octane" offense in '14, the CYO offense in "15-'18 and then revert back to the "HO" offense this past year. How long do you want me to keep typing (i.e., want to evaluate the absurdity of Steve Donahue at Penn's career over last 19 years?). Clearly he wasn't a "good" coach that became a "bad" that became a "good" coach again. When Rick Pitino was an assistant at Hawaii and was offered the job as head coach at Boston U Howard Garfinkel (RIP) told him it was a "graveyard" and not to take it. Rick took it because he was an exceptional coach. Like anything in life none of these situations are exactly black and white. As a CEO, I don't "knee-jerk" and start cleaning house every time there's a rough patch in my business. First, it's not fair and second it;s not a formula for success. Nate's a big kid and he will either be successful and move up or be unsuccessful and be forced to move on. Situations like O'Hanlon's are becoming less and less common. I appreciate the maturity of your post and am only taking the sensibly contrarian position that some of the hyperbole here would be out of place even in the BC/Donahue context. In the Bucknell context it is absolutely shocking. Where's BC now...they're in exactly the same situation with Jim Christian (who's a good coach but will probably get let go).

Rule 62..."don't take yourself so #%$@ seriously"
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
04-10-20 05:54 PM - Post#306122    

et tu?

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-11-20 07:11 AM - Post#306130    

Psycho...I love you!...you’re just like my wife...you gotta have the last word...

And just to prove my wife correct that it is ME that has to have the last word...I’m not so sure you have used “et tu Brute” in exactly the right context...but alas, I get your point.

😋🥃☘️🙏...Have a nice Easter with your family and stay healthy
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
04-11-20 08:15 AM - Post#306131    

Most coaches lose their jobs or gain renewals based on trends. In a league like the Patriot, you tend to play against the same coaches and same strategies over and over. Building a system that evolves over several years against the same offenses and defenses, along with recruiting, sometimes as important as one year of W/L's. Personal opinion - ND's trends in most key areas are down but too soon to do more than wait to see how his recent recruiting classes perform.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
04-28-20 02:01 PM - Post#306753    

Today's email blast from the coach mixes up the names of the new class (Lattimer and Turner) and doesn't mention the players who left.

nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
04-29-20 01:23 PM - Post#306806    

You have to admit if Davis was able to sign NBA player Myles Turner that'd be a good get...
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
06-17-20 11:35 PM - Post#309171    

Time for a bump. Since I’m a 90% negative lifetime Bison fan, I thought I’d push for 91% and remind everyone how badly Davis coached and lost the team last year.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
06-19-20 09:09 PM - Post#309292    

Hey Husky, remind me where you played again?, where you coached as well? and if you don't mind can you tell me what your profession is? and what company you work for?

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
06-22-20 10:32 AM - Post#309377    

Hey Old Bison.....WTF do you think you are tough guy? The fan police? Keep this up and I'll report you to the Administrator.

This board is loaded with former players and homers I understand that. But don't try to bully me off.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
11-29-20 07:53 PM - Post#317436    

That time of the year again! Who’s ready?
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-30-20 10:17 AM - Post#317466    

Ha! Not one of my finer moments.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-02-21 05:21 PM - Post#318455    

Looks like a great day to bring this thread back to the top.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-04-21 05:32 PM - Post#318563    

Psycho, I'll give you credit for being persistent!

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-04-21 05:36 PM - Post#318564    

I’ll only say that I think this team has parts greater than their sum. Lots of people on this board no more about playing and coaching basketball than I ever will. But I think it’s becoming clear there’s a problem here.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-04-21 06:02 PM - Post#318566    

Nate Davis is not a Paulson or Flannery. He's a mere mortal generic basketball coach who puts in the work at practice and is an introverted lump during game time. We could do worse, we could do better. I think this group of players is pretty good and he won't optimize them but he'll do OK. Let's close this thread for the year and enjoy the games. If needed pick it up a half dozen games in next year.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-04-21 07:15 PM - Post#318571    

ND is not getting fired. In fact, can somebody name me one Bison men’s basketball coach that was EVER fired. It is not in Bucknell’s DNA, so stop with the Fire ND crap and let’s enjoy the development of the talented class that ND is responsible for recruiting. Teams with dominant big men win in this league, and it looks like we’ve have another one.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-04-21 07:24 PM - Post#318573    

• bison63 Said:
ND is not getting fired. In fact, can somebody name me one Bison men’s basketball coach that was EVER fired. It is not in Bucknell’s DNA, so stop with the Fire ND crap and let’s enjoy the development of the talented class that ND is responsible for recruiting. Teams with dominant big men win in this league, and it looks like we’ve have another one.

The coach before Valvano was the last to be fired. But many other Bison coaches in other sports have been fired in the last decade.

As for the talented freshman class, hopefully it will develop. It is very necessary after two mediocre classes preceding it. ND and staff have been mediocre by PL standards in the recruiting area.

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-05-21 11:43 AM - Post#318615    

Teams with dominant big men in the PL typically are at the top unless something happens to them. Davis has lost 2 player due to transferring and if he doesn’t change the issues that we all see. There could/would be more. Like I said before on this thread early on compare the stats of Davis percentages with DP recruits vs. his own and do the same when he was at Randolph Macon. It’s follows the same trend and I don’t see that trend changing any day soon.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-05-21 02:21 PM - Post#318625    

• Bison137 Said:
  • Ubison63 Said:

The coach before Valvano was the last to be fired. But many other Bison coaches in other sports have been fired in the last decade.

As for the talented freshman class, hopefully it will develop. It is very necessary after two mediocre classes preceding it. ND and staff have been mediocre by PL standards in the recruiting area.

That. Coach would be Don Smith. Was he in fact fired? Asking because I don’t know. His teams were basically .500 until his last two which were losers.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-05-21 03:08 PM - Post#318626    

He was fired, or his contract was not renewed. He was not a good coach.

As for Buchnell‘s willingness to fire coaches, I can name at least eight head coaches over the past 15 years who were fired or had their contract not renewed. One football coach was fired, and a second football coach would’ve been fired had he not left prior to his contract running out.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-05-21 04:30 PM - Post#318628    

Yes, you are right. BU will fire coaches, but they have not done a lot of it in basketball. That’s likely because teams have usually been decent, and lately good. ND’s record at BU is also good, so I’d say he has at least 2 years before he needs to worry, and his teams will need to be bad for those two years for the axe to fall. Don’t hold your breath.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-05-21 04:41 PM - Post#318629    

As an aside, i’d say Paul Newman has started his last game, unless Screen gets hurt. Newman actually is excellent coming off the bench to spell Screen, who I suspect will have his share of foul trouble. But it makes no sense not to start the Screen era right now imho.

As for the Deuce and his team leading 15 on Sunday, it could have been 40 bbif he had any accuracy from the field. All of his points were layups and foul shots ( perfect from the line). Hopefully, his shooting from the field was not represented by his Sunday performance , when he not only missed all of his shots, but missed badly.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-10-21 08:35 PM - Post#318982    

This is worth a bump. Blown out. Again. No signs of improvement, any kind of cohesion, and most importantly lack of offensive and defensive execution.
DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
01-10-21 08:42 PM - Post#318984    

Not “blown out”. Lots of improvement.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-10-21 08:58 PM - Post#318988    

Still a Loss! Laffeyette in the last 5-8min of the game you could tell they were ready to get out of there.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-10-21 10:28 PM - Post#318990    

FWIW, this is the first time in history that Bucknell has started 0-4 in patriot league play.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-10-21 11:09 PM - Post#318991    

I’m not sure, without 40 minutes of consistent hot shooting, who this team beats. I’m serious too. Who do they beat without an extraordinary shooting night by more than one player?

Meanwhile Davis continues to grow into his third trimester of food baby doing NOTHING to change the on the court approach or culture of the club.

Listen I’m just a towny who grew up loving to watch Bison basketball. It’s time for the influential people on this board to start formalizing their discontent before Screen and Turner bolt to greener pastures.
JPM
Masters Student
Posts 449
JPM
01-11-21 12:43 AM - Post#318993    

Bring Paulsen back!😃
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-11-21 09:43 AM - Post#318997    

Dane Fischer

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-11-21 12:28 PM - Post#318999    

Nate Davis is going the Joe Susan route. A prior Bucknell asst. coach does incredibly well, comes back to Bucknell in all its glory, then fizzles out. A coach has to get the talented players which we have, but also has to take the next step of enthusiastically coaching them on to win games. Some coaches can get away with sitting there with a clipboard and still win, but usually they aren't playing college basketball.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-11-21 12:45 PM - Post#319000    

• Bison54 Said:
Dane Fischer

That ship sailed
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
01-11-21 03:46 PM - Post#319025    

John Griffin
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-11-21 03:58 PM - Post#319029    

Keggy the Keg
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-11-21 06:47 PM - Post#319068    

Bring some fire to the bench for sure

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-11-21 06:48 PM - Post#319069    

Dartmouth has him sewn up with an all you can drink contract

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-12-21 08:22 AM - Post#319093    

John Griffin
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-12-21 11:54 AM - Post#319120    

I would be on board with Griffin, however, seems Bucknell looks for coaches that have previous HC experience.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-12-21 07:24 PM - Post#319142    

Agreed MrPhillie. If if you consider the success the men’s and women’s programs have had using that philosophy, it makes sense. Are there any good D3 coaches out there ready for the jump?

Griffin would be an exception in my mind. He is qualified on paper. He understands the culture in Lewisburg better than anyone. He understands the expectation to dominate the PL year in and year out. It is almost hubris but he knows it can be done. He also understands the level of support he’ll get from the administration of a PL school quite often indifferent to the goals of Division 1 sport programs when they don’t jive with the health of the institution.

Davis is done so this is a good conversation. I recommend Villager Realty.

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-12-21 08:15 PM - Post#319145    

Its obvious Griffin is on the head coach track and he would be perfect for Bucknell. I sometimes have a feeling he's going to become a legendary coach and why not have it be here? He's young, and his future is as bright as his mojo when he played at Bucknell in his freshman year. We need to get him before someone else does, or we'll be reading about him with fondness as we do with Jay Wright. Offer him a lucrative package and he would come. Don't let this legend in the making get away.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-12-21 08:51 PM - Post#319149    

I guess this thread is going to stick around, at least until the Bison go on a 10 game winning streak, and while I am in no way qualified to comment on the coaching, I think it is time to put one idea to rest, and that is the theory that Nathan Davis wins with the other guys players, but his record sours when he is on his own. It says here that this is untrue.
ND's best season at RM, was his last, when he was in his second season of rosters fully recruited by him. That sesaon his team compiled a 28-3 record for a .903 winning percentage, and went to the D3 Elite 8. His "worst" year if you can refer to a Sweet 16 appearance by that name was 2 seasons prior to the 28-3 season. That year he was only 21-10 for a meager .697 %, and as I said had to be content with the Sweet 16.

what's it prove? Nothing really, except the idea that he can only win with somebody elses recruits seems pretty lame. Now, possibly he had a great Asst Coach as a recruiter,ala Paulsen with Dane Fischer. I do not know. I do know that DP is not exactly setting the world on fire at George Mason. ND deserves the chance to work through this. If we are still having this conversation in two years, then we will see what we will see, but I suspect the turnaround stars with this Freshman class, and this season will be the low point. We may be hard pressed to win 4 games this year as virtually every team we play (except LU) was rated above us in the Pre Season poll. But I do believe brighter days are ahead.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-13-21 12:33 AM - Post#319164    

Nathan Davis needs to go. It’s clear. The only question now is how long is he allowed to stay. I think it will be a while too which is why I’m pressing so hard.

Bucknell basketball is loyal. It’s intimate. It’s really intimate when you consider the small local fan base and scattered but passionate alumni. My friends, Nathan Davis is not a good head basketball coach at the Division 1 level. If you don’t believe this, just give our games over the last two years the eye ball test. It’s awful. And the results as well. And our most talented players left the program.

The question is how long does he hang around.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-13-21 02:15 AM - Post#319166    

Although I am pleasantly surprised at the new recruits, I don't see any winning seasons in the next five years with the present coach. Maybe a flicker of competitiveness or even an unexpected win here and there but not much else. I will be the happiest guy if coach and the team can prove me wrong, and please do, but I'm not feeling it. Lackluster seasons coming up I'm afraid, and its extra bad because we have the players but will never see them be the studs and stars they are. Thats what I will miss the most. I want to see Funk own the court. I want to see Timmerman lay down a dunk. I want to be so far ahead in the game that Sechan the feel good story comes in and scores a few points. I want to see Screen fit in where Bucknell centers have. All down the tubes. Please prove me wrong team.
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
01-15-21 06:20 PM - Post#319351    

My main concern with this thread is that its sometimes a self fulfilling initiative. I have never been a big Davis fan, too passive on the bench, doesn't game plan well, among other factors. That being said, he likely deserves at least another year and if this thread gains momentum, wonder what it will do to recruiting. Unlikely to get a top new coach if the cupboard is bare.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-15-21 07:18 PM - Post#319353    

I can’t imagine any Bucknell recruit is honestly considering the comments of a 47 year old townie living in Jacksonville, Florida.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-10-21 09:14 PM - Post#321745    

Looks like we need to get this topic warmed up again.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-10-21 09:31 PM - Post#321748    

Looks like we need to get this topic warmed up again.

Go away!
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-10-21 09:39 PM - Post#321752    

You’re right, I wish ND would go away!
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-10-21 10:16 PM - Post#321756    

He needs to go. Everyone knows it but this board won’t embrace it.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-10-21 11:40 PM - Post#321766    

Bucknell could certainly do a lot better.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-11-21 12:25 AM - Post#321769    

For those that are around the program more closely, is ND likable? Personable? Do players like playing for him? Do assistants enjoy coaching with him?
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-11-21 09:31 AM - Post#321777    

Although it was hard to tell with his mask on, Coach D seemed to be dispassionate on the sidelines. From his body language and position and his eyes he seemed like someone who had already decided to move on. Just sayin'

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
03-11-21 10:19 AM - Post#321789    

George Mason wants Paulsen out! Can we make a trade??!! I agree with you Bison 54. Davis looked like he had no desire passion or energy! I can honestly say I have seen that look a number of times in the past... Pretty sad IMO.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-11-21 11:22 AM - Post#321798    

That’s interesting about DP. At least according the standings, George Mason is competitive in a very challenging league. George Mason had the one magic season a couple of decades ago but it’s not like they were a perennial power before DP. Far from it.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-11-21 05:14 PM - Post#321811    

In case you missed it, ND is not Bob Knight when it comes to displays of passion on the court, in fact back when we had an extremely passion at coach in Pat Flannery, it fell to than assistant coach ND to keep PF in check and keep him from being tossed. Fwiw he looked dispassionate as a Bison Asst, as a Colgate Asst, as a Navy Asst and as a Randolf-Macon HC who piled up close to an 80% winning % . So please do not start pinning the “ doesn’t care” label on him.

Also as for DP, I have no interest in a DP that does not have Dane Fischer as an Asst, as Paulsen’s recruiting “expertise” was the fact that he hired Fischer.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for ND to get fired on the basis of this effed up season. It ain’t happenin’ nor should it. Better focus on convincing the powers that be to let Meeks have another year.$
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-11-21 05:33 PM - Post#321813    

• HuskyColonial Said:
That’s interesting about DP. At least according the standings, George Mason is competitive in a very challenging league. George Mason had the one magic season a couple of decades ago but it’s not like they were a perennial power before DP. Far from it.

GMU was not a perennial power under Larranaga, but they also were far from a one year wonder. In his 13 seasons, they went 273-164 (.625) and made it to five NCAA tournaments.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-11-21 05:36 PM - Post#321814    

• bison63 Said:
In case you missed it, ND is not Bob Knight when it comes to displays of passion on the court, in fact back when we had an extremely passion at coach in Pat Flannery, it fell to than assistant coach ND to keep PF in check and keep him from being tossed. Fwiw he looked dispassionate as a Bison Asst, as a Colgate Asst, as a Navy Asst and as a Randolf-Macon HC who piled up close to an 80% winning % . So please do not start pinning the “ doesn’t care” label on him.

Also as for DP, I have no interest in a DP that does not have Dane Fischer as an Asst, as Paulsen’s recruiting “expertise” was the fact that he hired Fischer.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for ND to get fired on the basis of this effed up season. It ain’t happenin’ nor should it. Better focus on convincing the powers that be to let Meeks have another year.$

I agree on not judging ND by his lack of outward passion. Also agree on Paulsen without Fischer.

My problems with ND don't relate much to outward emotion but rather to mediocre coaching and mediocre recruiting. His staff is not close to DP's staffs. My other, more minor problem is how he seems to go out of his way to ignore the fans on every possible occasion. The current staff has annoyed a lot of fans who attend the games.

bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
03-11-21 06:05 PM - Post#321816    

At least from my perspective I think 137 has hit it on the nose.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-11-21 07:21 PM - Post#321817    

I'm ready for the John Griffin show.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-11-21 08:29 PM - Post#321820    

It’s time for a change. That’s clear. The program has taken marked steps backward under ND. I do disagree with the the comment about quality recruiting. However we fail to coach them up and ND is a crappy game manager.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-11-21 09:33 PM - Post#321828    

I would LOVE for Griffin to be HC.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-11-21 10:14 PM - Post#321836    

• Bison137 Said:
  • bison63 Said:

I agree on not judging ND by his lack of outward passion. Also agree on Paulsen without Fischer.

My problems with ND don't relate much to outward emotion but rather to mediocre coaching and mediocre recruiting. His staff is not close to DP's staffs. My other, more minor problem is how he seems to go out of his way to ignore the fans on every possible occasion. The current staff has annoyed a lot of fans who attend the games.

I don’t know anything about ND annoying fans, and if true it is of concern. I do not think that he annoyed too many this season however.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
03-12-21 10:02 AM - Post#321845    

• Paulie777 Said:
I'm ready for the John Griffin show.

Ditto!

river rat
Sophomore
Posts 187
03-13-21 10:43 PM - Post#321930    

The team definitely has some young talent - it does not appear to be a downhill program in that perspective.

I have only watched games on TV or internet in recent years. One thing I have noticed is it seems like players are not having that much fun -- does it feel like that in person?
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-14-21 06:50 PM - Post#322006    

I definitely think their is lack of fun or excitement on the team. I know one of the transfers had said that was at least one of the reasons to leave. I don’t know if there was other reasons but, I’m sure there was.

I’m more curious to see how many more players leave under this staff. I’m going to take a guess at two more within the end of 2021-2022 season.
JPM
Masters Student
Posts 449
JPM
03-14-21 08:14 PM - Post#322016    

I have not followed the team closely this year but i did watch the Colgate game in the PL tourney.

Frankly, I was shocked at how poorly Bucknell played. The lack of defense, poor rebounding, and uninspired play on offense was very surprising to see.

Also, the talent level is significantly below DP's teams. Other than Meeks and maybe Funk, I don't think any of the players on the current roster would even see the court on DP's Muscala teams or Haas teams.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-14-21 09:05 PM - Post#322027    

We’ve had season tickets for the last 14-15 years and to me, it doesn’t seem like players thoroughly enjoy playing for Davis. Just going by body language and activity on the bench. I could be way off, but other than Sestina and a few others, no much joy to be found the past few years. But also, winning is more of a chore, and players are always happier when they win.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-14-21 09:09 PM - Post#322028    

Interesting take JPM. I actually think two or three of the raw talent that you speak of but they’re not being coached up both individually and as a unit. Rice, Deuce, Screen, and Ellis have lots of demonstrated ability. They’re simply not nurtured and haven’t had mentorship because of poor character upper class men and transfers.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-15-21 09:12 AM - Post#322041    

JPM, I enjoyed the back and forth between you and 137 back in the DP years, and always respected your well supported opinions, but I think you are wrong in your judgement of this teams talent level.

Let’s put Muscala aside, since Bucknell does not graduate 8 year and counting NBA players every year. One of the secrets of coaching in the PL is to get lucky every now and again and land that till now undeveloped gem that was Muscala. Granted Johnson and Willman were no slouches, and Willman was actually considered that years prize recruit, and he did not disappoint.

But I digress, Meeks and Funk could have played on any Paulson team, no maybes about it. Zander Rice showed tremendous progress in this ridiculous, aborted season. Ellis got off to a slow start shooting but picked it up and I expect great things from him next year.

In all honesty, I could make a case that Screen coming in was potentially a better player than Muscala, although it will take some doing to say that about him when he is done. Has a tendency to foul (and whine when he is called on it) and is not a great FT shooter like Mike, but a superior talent none the less and he’ll get better. And then there is Deuce Turner, 2nd highest scorer in PA HS history.

I am not able to comment, knowledgeably on ND’s coaching ability, other than to point out his tremendous W-L record in D3 and prior to last year at BU. Joyless? Players do not like playing for him? I don’t know. Never heard any of that when the Bison were winning. Losing brings the BS. Witness DP circa 2008 on this board. I was right there helping lead the charge to dump him. Again, what do I know?

ND was my second choice for HC when DP left, and I was not unhappy to see him brought in by the Bison. First choice was Dane Fischer, c’est la vie!

Btw, I would not be too quick to judge off that one Colgate game. Definitely a fiasco, and easily the seasons worst performance. Admittedly blame for that has to go in large part to the coaching staff.

Finally on another subject, if as posted by several that playing for Davis is joyless ( and again I have no knowledge either way) why on earth is Rice always smiling. Just sayin’

Good to hear from you again JPM!

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-15-21 10:44 AM - Post#322043    

JPM back, piling on a mediocre Bucknell team and exuding (correctly) the virtues of the previous coach who has been effectively canceled from Bucknell history, at least from a perspective of entering Sojka to attend a game. And critical Husky colonial, Thoughful 137, and old coach oldbison.
In the ecosystem of the Patriot League, Bucknell has its place, as well as the military academies, Holy Cross, whose head of the snake is now nearly lopped off, the relatively new teams Boston and Loyola, who Hardt had more of a role getting in than we all know, and lackluster Layfayette, who is really the only team that needs a decent coach to succeed in this league.
Bucknell and to a lesser extent Lehigh and Colgate have the beautiful students, and the whole key to success is to let the kids play with the coaches role an intelligent high energy coach who genuinely wants a win and will cheer as a sixth man on the court. Flannery was this type of coach, and so was Paulson. Davis is a great X's and O's coach, and a much better coach than I ever will be, but in my opinion he has the energy of a generic coach seen in many darkened high school gyms across the land. This is Bucknell! We need fire and passion on the sidelines! We need to let the players play. We need Bucky and the cheerleaders and the Bison girls and the baton twirler and dare I say, the wigmeister. Not a monotone style from a tired playbook. Thanks for playing, lets get the Griffin passion in here, and the wins will come.
JPM
Masters Student
Posts 449
JPM
03-15-21 04:20 PM - Post#322086    

HuskyC and B63,

Granted, the one game I watched is the smallest of sample sizes. That said, I expected much more when tuning in to a PL tournament semi-final game against the #1 seed.

Frankly, the level of play in all facets of the game (as well as Bucknell's overall talent level) did not pass the "eye test."
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-16-21 10:31 AM - Post#322115    

Would expand the thoughts regarding ND's "monotone style" to include his coaching strategy. His ability to change to match up to other team's strengths or minimize Bison weaknesses has always been a concern. When we have the talent, his x's and o's normally work. No surprise that the team's energy, likely due to confidence in their game plan, seems higher as well. His predictability also seems to make it easier for other team's coaches to develop their strategy. Seems to have good talent coming in so will see if this trend continues.
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-16-21 10:36 AM - Post#322116    

Would expand the thoughts regarding ND's "monotone style" to include his coaching strategy. His ability to change to match up to other team's strengths or minimize Bison weaknesses has always been a concern. When we have the talent, his x's and o's normally work. No surprise that the team's energy, likely due to confidence in their game plan, seems higher as well. His predictability also seems to make it easier for other team's coaches to develop their strategy. Seems to have good talent coming in so will see if this trend continues.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-16-21 04:31 PM - Post#322147    

I’d like to add on some other info as well. I’ve brought it up before maybe under this topic awhile ago. Davis’s best coaching seasons are while having the previous coaches recruits. If you look at the records over the years it’s a trend. Currently, at Bucknell he is under the same trend as he was in D3. Granite you could say he has a fantastic record or what not that’s for you to decide. If it comes down to his recruits vs. ex coaches recruits it’s night and day.

Basically it should be the opposite you should have your worst seasons under players that you didn’t recruit and the best under your talent and I am not seeing that what so ever.

I’ve been going to games in person for years including road games when I can and you can tell there is a big difference from players overall emotion and passion from players that played under PF, DP, and ND. You could maybe blame some stuff on the pandemic this past year but, that’s just an excuse someone needed to step up and I don’t think anybody could till Meeks came back.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-17-21 08:42 AM - Post#322195    

• bison63 Said:
I guess this thread is going to stick around, at least until the Bison go on a 10 game winning streak, and while I am in no way qualified to comment on the coaching, I think it is time to put one idea to rest, and that is the theory that Nathan Davis wins with the other guys players, but his record sours when he is on his own. It says here that this is untrue.
ND's best season at RM, was his last, when he was in his second season of rosters fully recruited by him. That sesaon his team compiled a 28-3 record for a .903 winning percentage, and went to the D3 Elite 8. His "worst" year if you can refer to a Sweet 16 appearance by that name was 2 seasons prior to the 28-3 season. That year he was only 21-10 for a meager .697 %, and as I said had to be content with the Sweet 16.

what's it prove? Nothing really, except the idea that he can only win with somebody elses recruits seems pretty lame.

Reposting this in response to Psycho of Sojka’s continued insistence that ND’s past record prove his history is to win with the other guy’s recruits.

Maryland Bison
Freshman
Posts 57
03-17-21 09:17 AM - Post#322202    

Granite you could say he has a fantastic record or what not that’s for you to decide.

I think the Bison just need to do a better job out on the basketball quartz.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-17-21 09:44 AM - Post#322205    

Think about this for a second. Until last season, all Davis did was win. Regardless of why he won ( other guys recruits, whatever),he won. That is undeniable. So losing is something he has not experienced as a HC until now. Is it not likely that he is more upset by this than we are. And is it not likely that he will make adjustments as he goes forward . He might even smile😀
My point is, the guy has been a winning coach, and he is not likely to take losing sitting down. This year he stopped the switching tactics that drove everybody nuts. I am saying this because IMO unless the Bison really tank, or if he is proven to be abusive or something of that nature, he is here until he decides to leave. Especially, if the downgrading of athletics under Bravman that 137 speaks of is true. So I think it is more likely that ND figures his way out of this than it is that he is fired. I doubt he reads this board, but I’d bet somebody tells him what is being said here, so maybe he will even bring joy to the game. You never know!
Raymond Bucknell
Sophomore
Posts 179
Raymond Bucknell
03-17-21 01:00 PM - Post#322228    

• Maryland Bison Said:
Granite you could say he has a fantastic record or what not that’s for you to decide.

I think the Bison just need to do a better job out on the basketball quartz.

Gneiss one!
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-17-21 06:12 PM - Post#322254    

These are the players that ND inherited from Paulsen/Fischer/Kelly:

- Chris Hass. Dom Hoffman, Ryan Frazier
- DJ MacLeay, John Azzinaro, Ben Oberfeld (career ended over summer)
- Nana Foulland, Zach Thomas, Stephen Brown (JC Show was in the process of transferring)
- Nate Sestina, Kimbal Mackenzie, Nate Jones

Imo there are very few coaches in the country who wouldn't have been wildly successful in the PL if they inherited this talent pool. You can make a good case that it is the best pool of talent ever assembled in the PL at one time, with only perhaps three other contenders.

Among the many things that concern me is that recruiting over the past four years has not been as good.

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-17-21 06:18 PM - Post#322256    

Also, Davis can be obsidian at times.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-17-21 08:56 PM - Post#322267    

I mean, granite, Maryland does have a point.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-31-21 11:19 AM - Post#322686    

Well at least I can say I called it. Losing another big player from the program under this staff.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-31-21 12:54 PM - Post#322701    

Yes, definitely time for ND to go. With one exception, I have no confidence at all in the current staff.

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-31-21 01:10 PM - Post#322703    

I also have to agree. I have no confidence in the rest of the staff.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-31-21 02:45 PM - Post#322704    

The least positive feeling around this program definitely since we bought our first season tickets 15 years ago (not that it want positive then, just saying I’ve never felt as negative about the program in all that time. Even a 7-23 record with DP wasn’t as negative.)
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
04-01-21 04:06 PM - Post#322810    

A cardboard cutout coach could have won dozens of games with Kimbal MacKenzie and Nate Sestina for four years. Nothing against ND, but he was left in good hands with those players.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
04-01-21 04:24 PM - Post#322811    

And Thomas, Brown and Foulland were no slouches, either.

Keep watching the transfer portal, so we can know where to watch former Bison with other teams. Spear, Sotos (will he play at OSU next year?; same for Mack (also OSU?). Where will Meeks play? Newman? Sechan? Turner? Brugler at Drexel. Where will we see Ceppi, Johnson and Kapp? And we wonder where Moose will play next year.....and will Sestina get a real NBA shot?

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-01-21 04:39 PM - Post#322813    

• Bison54 Said:
And Thomas, Brown and Foulland were no slouches, either.

Thomas, Brown, Foulland, Sestina, Mackenzie. And he also inherited Chris Hass, Ryan Frazier, Dom Hoffman, Nate Jones, and others. Likely the best group of players ever assembled in the PL at one time.

Pauly is right that a cardboard cutout could have coached them successfully.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
04-01-21 06:56 PM - Post#322821    

He isn’t going anywhere. Our best players will be but he won’t. There are still plenty of people shilling for him on this board. I can’t imagine the administration is upset.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
04-01-21 07:03 PM - Post#322822    

I agree with you completely husky. He won’t leave on his own. He is making a good living for the Lewisburg area. I can’t see Bucknell getting rid of him anytime soon. I would love to see John Griffin at Bucknell but he will probably end up somewhere else. I have talked to a few locals that are not renewing there tickets and that is sad.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
05-22-21 02:48 PM - Post#324154    

Bump
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
05-25-21 03:48 PM - Post#324169    

• HuskyColonial Said:
Bump

Husky, if it hasn't happened already, then, it's probably not going to happen this year. Sorry to say . . .

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
06-20-21 12:04 PM - Post#324814    

This is in need of a BUMP!
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
06-20-21 03:03 PM - Post#324817    

Waiting for Screen to leave any day.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
06-20-21 08:03 PM - Post#324821    

I’d hate to see it happen, but I agree.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
06-26-21 07:28 PM - Post#324981    

The 2020 Pennsylvania 5A State Player of the Year is in the portal.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
06-26-21 07:43 PM - Post#324982    

So is anyone pressuring the administration?
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
06-27-21 06:25 PM - Post#325002    

Old news, but do you know if he has made a committment elsewhere?

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
06-28-21 10:22 AM - Post#325009    

I know it’s old news. Just restating for effect.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
09-24-21 09:40 PM - Post#326805    

The best thing happened today in ND’s head coaching career at Bucknell. Shaq was standing on Bison territory. I must say this achievement is like the GME stock hitting an all time high, but now the hype is over and the back to ground zero it goes.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
09-25-21 09:25 AM - Post#326808    

https://twitter.com/Bucknell_Bison?cn=Zmx leGlibGVf...

Does he have any eligibility left?

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
11-14-21 06:23 PM - Post#328485    

We all knew I was going to pull this thread back up to the top at some point. I figured why not pull it up now after today’s game.

Thankfully I guess you could say some student athletes stuck with the BU program for reason X… Maybe some of that was they like the area, playing time increasing, etc. Anyone that thought the BU program had a chance this year at anything other than a losing season was looking at something else. I’d even add on to that and say for the next upcoming years until the coaching staff is gone. At this point they might have to go begging D3 players just to come play here. The team is obviously a mess with losing players, chemistry changes, and players having to step in some big shoes in just a couple of months.

Keeping this section away from politics all I will say is Bucknell put out a statement saying everyone would have to mask at ALL events vaccinated or not status. I’m not sure how ND gets the “Get out of Jail free card” on that. He is still a spectator like anyone else in that arena. Not only would he have broke Bucknell’s own rule/statement that was sent out, but if the Patriot League as a whole did the same he broke that as well.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-14-21 07:16 PM - Post#328491    

Not sure why Davis is exempt for University protocol and rules. But then again, nobody approached the 80% of student section that was maskless. Just a joke in all ways.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-14-21 09:38 PM - Post#328516    

I could care less about the masking because if you’re not vaccinated at this point, that’s on you.

I’d rather focus on whether this team wins 5 games this years and I’m not kidding either. Unless it’s a fluke, who does this team beat? Davis will be fine in Lewisburg until 2045 apparently.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-14-21 10:04 PM - Post#328532    

• HuskyColonial Said:
I could care less about the masking because if you’re not vaccinated at this point, that’s on you.

I’d rather focus on whether this team wins 5 games this years and I’m not kidding either. Unless it’s a fluke, who does this team beat? Davis will be fine in Lewisburg until 2045 apparently.

Not that I want to give this thread any oxygen, but you guys are watching a different game than I am. You act like we just lost to two D3 or bottom-feeder D1 teams. This was a back and forth game until the last four minutes when they let it get away. But losing to Penn is hardly an embarrassment. We'll see how the season plays out, but this team looks much improved over last year.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-14-21 10:49 PM - Post#328561    

Not that you want to give this thread any oxygen…..

Why would you preface your post with this? Because you’re suggesting Davis is a good coach who needs 2 or 3 more seasons because he’s a a successful recruiter? Maybe he’s someone who has grown the program and surpassed the successes of the last three coaches and thus deserves an extension through 2030?

I agree. You probably shouldn’t give this thread any oxygen.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
11-14-21 10:59 PM - Post#328565    

The old gym is named for him, how can he ever leave?

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
11-15-21 11:29 AM - Post#328579    

My biggest problem with the Penn game was no one else did much outside of Funk. He shot lights out for part of the game. He is not going to score 30 a game and if he didn’t yesterday this probably would have been a blowout loss! The problem I have with Davis is that he does not recruit well at all and it is proven! Each class must have a really solid player in order to compete year in and year out. He and this staff has not done so. Bucknell is not going to compete in most games when you don’t have a solid starting 5 players. And this team definitely does not! Your kidding yourself if you think they have that! If Bucknell wants to get back to winning they need to move on from Davis.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-15-21 05:21 PM - Post#328583    

Both Bison basketball head coaches sent out email updates today.

In Trevor Woodruff's brief email, there were three references to the fans:

- "Let me start by saying thank you to all of you that made the trip to Columbus for our season-opening game against the Buckeyes. Your energy was felt by all of us."

- " If any of you are in or around Philadelphia this weekend, I hope you will take the opportunity to stop in and support the Bison."

- "As always, I leave you with a sincere thank you for your continued support. We are proud to represent all of you and hope to see you soon."

Nathan Davis comments on the Bison fans in a lengthy email:

NONE. No thank you's, no mention of fans who came out in NC, no shout out for a good student turnout.

In ND's perfect world, there would be no fans to deal with.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
11-15-21 10:52 PM - Post#328605    

and no email updates to write either.

mcapodee
Sophomore
Posts 156
11-16-21 10:28 AM - Post#328611    

With so much of the fundraising activities being (rightfully so) focused on academics, I'm guessing the Athletic Department isn't in the position to be paying two coaches at once, so everything is this thread aside firing is probably out.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
11-16-21 10:43 AM - Post#328613    

• mcapodee Said:
With so much of the fundraising activities being (rightfully so) focused on academics, I'm guessing the Athletic Department isn't in the position to be paying two coaches at once, so everything is this thread aside firing is probably out.

Thats a good idea. Bucknell could have an old coach mentor Davis as he coaches. They aren't allowed to coach the players but can give helpful tips to the coaches. I think Paulson is doing this at Fordham.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-16-21 12:07 PM - Post#328617    

• mcapodee Said:

They paid two football coaches at the same time not so long ago. Anyway there may well be alumni willing to pay some money to effect a coaching change. I would certainly be willing to pay a few dollars.

I think the biggest factor is whether he only has one more year on his contract after this year. He got an extension at some point, but I don’t know when or for how long. But I suspect this might be the next- to-last year.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
11-16-21 06:57 PM - Post#328633    

If that is the case, maybe a non-extension at the end of this year might be a possibility. An extension is typical so that a coach has some longevity to present to recruits. So if he is not extended, that will be the writing on the wall but will also be a recuiting impediment.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-16-21 07:52 PM - Post#328637    

In my view, Davis is not a likable person. He appears arrogant, privileged, disrespectful, and couldn’t care less about fans. Add to this poor recent performance and recruiting, I feel bad for both players and fans.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-16-21 08:13 PM - Post#328641    

• Bison54 Said:
If that is the case, maybe a non-extension at the end of this year might be a possibility. An extension is typical so that a coach has some longevity to present to recruits. So if he is not extended, that will be the writing on the wall but will also be a recuiting impediment.

The other issue is what kind of buyout provision is in his contract. The majority of college contracts have buyouts where the coach gets less than 100% of the money left on the contract if he is axed. Paulsen, for example, didn't even get 50% when GMU made their coaching change last spring.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-25-21 11:06 PM - Post#329848    

I think if Bucknell wins more than 6 games but less than 10 games this season, Davis should be offered an extension and pay raise. Let’s lock him down until 2030 and guarantee mediocrity for years to come.

This is a joke. We all know it.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
11-26-21 12:54 PM - Post#329850    

Husky, I totally agree with your opinion on the 6-10 wins this season with 10 being a reach. No one knows what covid or injury will bring in any team but the sample size is now big enough to show what the team consists of for this year and more than likely beyond. I posted before on this thread that your kidding yourselves if you feel this team will contend for anything now and moving ahead. No one on this board is pointing aim at anyone other than the coaching staff! I feel most are passionate fans of Bucknell and we are accustomed to better play. Hopefully the school sees this and becomes proactive after this season.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
11-26-21 05:35 PM - Post#329858    

I like the team this year. There is potential at least in the Patriot league, although the highest we can achieve there is 4th. Timmerman is doing well, Edmunds is a bright spot, and there are others. The worst part is the message board and fan base morale is low, and the team is underachieving. I do miss the enthusiasm.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-26-21 06:48 PM - Post#329860    

The message board is a reflection of poor performance dating back years.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-27-21 09:47 AM - Post#329868    

• Paulie777 Said:
I like the team this year. There is potential at least in the Patriot league, although the highest we can achieve there is 4th. Timmerman is doing well, Edmunds is a bright spot, and there are others. The worst part is the message board and fan base morale is low, and the team is underachieving. I do miss the enthusiasm.

Paulie, whatever you are drinking, please send some to Philly. I could use a swig. I find it very hard to be optimistic about an underperforming team with a zombie coach (no emotions). I genuinely hope that the Bison win every game, but right now, it looks a ranking above #250 might be a miracle.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-28-21 01:18 PM - Post#329931    

Yes, of course I want the team to win every game, but realistically I have to look for glimpses of hope. There are a few good young pieces, but true contending for a PL championship seems more than a few years away. I’m not a fan of Davis not just because coaching his own recruits hasn’t translated to performance and results we have come to expect on the court…but also because of his personality. We have been receiving more emails from him because I assume it has been suggested to him and because fundraising is down. We continue to support the program with some donations and by sitting in our seats every home game. But it takes some creativity to find reasons to cheer as in the “old days.”
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
11-28-21 04:27 PM - Post#329954    

The only cheering I’ll be having is when ND gets the boot. Every game I watch I just sit here wondering which player is leaving next.
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
11-28-21 07:24 PM - Post#330048    

This team is talented enough (Especially with the prospect of freshmen development) to be a top 3 finisher in PL Regular Season and reach a PL Tournament Championship (And at least not lose by 80). If the above does not materialize, I will firmly be in the "Hire John Griffin" camp.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
11-28-21 11:16 PM - Post#330067    

• Scotty-14 Said:
This team is talented enough (Especially with the prospect of freshmen development) to be a top 3 finisher in PL Regular Season and reach a PL Tournament Championship (And at least not lose by 80).

no
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-28-21 11:55 PM - Post#330073    

• Scotty-14 Said:
This team is talented enough (Especially with the prospect of freshmen development) to be a top 3 finisher in PL Regular Season and reach a PL Tournament Championship (And at least not lose by 80). If the above does not materialize, I will firmly be in the "Hire John Griffin" camp.

I very much doubt that scenario will not materialize. From what I’ve seen so far, I think 6th place is the ceiling. It would be nice to see John Griffin sitting on the bench. Not only is he a good coach, but he was the only member of the staff who cared about the fans.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
11-29-21 08:16 AM - Post#330079    

If you doubt the scenario will not materialize, doesn't that mean that it will materialize? Lawyer double negative

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-29-21 01:21 PM - Post#330100    

Maybe we need a “ Fire JB” thread. The new transfer rules are not so hot for schools like Bucknell, especially if they don’t allow players who would otherwise be eligible, an additional year. Are ND’s hands tied to the point where he can’t effectively compete? How about Cecchini? Granted ND is no Pat Flannery in his emotive abilities, but why does a winning coach start losing. And please don’t anybody tell me that he did the same thing at RM, because that is not true. His last year there was his best record, 16-0 in conference and 28-3 overall. If it is an ND problem, I’m all for a change, but not because you don’t like his demeanor, unless you can establish that his demeanor, which hasn’t changed is the reason for the past few years performance. Yeah I’d rather a Flannery, or Paulson type too, but please someone explain to me why a winning coach, who was always able to get players he needed to remain a winning coach, all of a sudden can’t do that. Or Is it a case of the talent on hand not playing to their ability, which would be a coaching failure? But I do not think it’s that.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-29-21 01:42 PM - Post#330103    

ND inherited possibly the top group of players in PL history - Foulland, Z Thomas, S Brown, Mackenzie, Sestina, Haas, N Jones, D Hoffman, R Frazier, etc. Once he got his own players, the success ended. He was a mediocre bench coach when they were winning and he continues to be mediocre - at best. One example is three strategic errors in the final 40 seconds of regulation yesterday.

He is 21-32 since he got his own players. But what is scarier is that now that Bucknell has become a losing program, drawing crowds of 1200, it has become much harder to recruit and the quality is dropping. In two years, 2021-22 may look like the good old days.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-29-21 06:17 PM - Post#330137    

Ok! Just trying to understand what happened? Is it ND, or does the admin have the Athletic Departments hands tied? I am not saying ND is not the problem, but wondering when he inherited a good group at RM, and then continued to win there with his recruits , why he is he not doing the same here. You 137 are often criticizing the admin for their athletic policies . I am asking, if maybe ND’s hands are tied in ways we do not know.( as well as the ways we DO know) And I’m done with this subject.
candyfan
Masters Student
Posts 459
candyfan
11-29-21 06:48 PM - Post#330142    

These "fire the coach" posts are funny enough to make you laugh, then cry at the crazy people who think the coach is the problem. After all is said and done, it's the players who win and lose games.

The most important part of coaching college basketball today is 1) recruiting followed closely by (the latest rage) 2) keeping the committed players who like to wander from school to school for greener pastures!

Latest Bison victim Sienna, had no less then TEN transfers on their squad from this season alone!

Nathan Davis will ultimately be judged on the quality of his recruits, as have previous coaches. Woolum, Flannery and Paulsen, who generally recruited very well. Unless Davis picks up the pace a little, he'll be gone, IF the new AD gets pressure from the assembled masses.

Davis has a tough act to follow with the NCAA appearances and the Muscala, Foulland, Thomas recruiting level. But he also has the advantage of a school, Bucknell, that is now known for winning as well as a safe place to send your kid to get a great IVY League quality education while playing a high level of basketball competition.

Let's see if he can rise to the occasion, beginning with this Soph and Frosh class?
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
11-29-21 07:21 PM - Post#330143    

• candyfan Said:
These "fire the coach" posts are funny enough to make you laugh, then cry at the crazy people who think the coach is the problem. After all is said and done, it's the players who win and lose games.

The most important part of coaching college basketball today is 1) recruiting followed closely by (the latest rage) 2) keeping the committed players who like to wander from school to school for greener pastures!

Latest Bison victim Sienna, had no less then TEN transfers on their squad from this season alone!

Nathan Davis will ultimately be judged on the quality of his recruits, as have previous coaches. Woolum, Flannery and Paulsen, who generally recruited very well. Unless Davis picks up the pace a little, he'll be gone, IF the new AD gets pressure from the assembled masses.

Davis has a tough act to follow with the NCAA appearances and the Muscala, Foulland, Thomas recruiting level. But he also has the advantage of a school, Bucknell, that is now known for winning as well as a safe place to send your kid to get a great IVY League quality education while playing a high level of basketball competition.

Let's see if he can rise to the occasion, beginning with this Soph and Frosh class?

We Bucknell alum spell it *Siena* Please, Candyfan, be more cognizant of the proper spelling of the, ahem, small Catholic schools. We Ivies need to be role models.

candyfan
Masters Student
Posts 459
candyfan
11-29-21 07:57 PM - Post#330146    

Sorry, paulie777,

I took one of those sped reding cources but it just didn't help much!

I'm a fan, not a speler.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
11-29-21 08:42 PM - Post#330149    

Candyfan,I'm just joking around. Bucknell as an Ivy? Not so sure about that though you did say Ivy quality education which is totally attainable at Bucknell if a student is motivated enough. Any After game videos this year? I always appreciated those.
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
12-01-21 01:55 AM - Post#330231    

We have a scorer - Funk
An above average PG - Rice
Two effective Big Men - Tim + Screen
A Shooter - JVH
A reliable backup PG - Edmonds

We're shooting 43.5% from the floor, 34.8% from 3 and 80.6% from the FT line against competition far tougher than our league.

If you're telling me that isn't a roster capable of being a Top 3 finisher in PL play I'm not sure what league you think we play in.

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
12-01-21 08:05 PM - Post#330278    

Going by what Scotty has as his tops in categories. I would say this team compared to the past Bucknell teams couldn’t even beat the 2008/09 team. Which was DP first year at Bucknell and that team consisted of Shazier, Boon, and Cohen.

Funk should get 1000 points I would hope and I dont know who would get the next. I think we can all agree we want a winning program, but right now I’d trade ND for Brett Nelson and throw in a few coaches with it.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
12-01-21 09:00 PM - Post#330315    

Pollyanna Bison even knows Davis needs terminated. Immediately. This team is a trainwreck. Complete slop on both ends of the court.
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
12-05-21 02:05 AM - Post#330661    

I think we severely underestimate the talent we have. It's not a great wave for our standards, but our standards say our worst is still pretty damn good. I won't give my final opinion until the season is over because greater turnarounds have occurred; however, ND seems to have faults that only superstar players can mask...

1. He consistently "hockey subs"productive lineups so our runs turn into handing the opponent momentum on a silver platter.

2. Always seems to miss place a few guys. For example, Motta is clearly inferior to Adoh. Honestly, may be the worst player on the roster at this very moment. In other words, not a starter. He made similar mistakes shunning Spear and Ellis in the past and now we get to see Spear be the best player on(an admittedly poor) team. Timmerman also didn't learn to play basketball two weeks ago, and should have been given more chances to shine in the past. But we always have a guy like Motta to give every chance to, even though he looks like he belongs on a D3 floor.

3. ND has no ability to motivate. crappy half? We don't adjust and come back fired up in H2 like most good programs do almost inherently. Without vibrant leadership on the court, this leads to a stoic play style, which can less elegantly decay to a type of basketball the is about as inspiring as 6th grade girls CYO.

4. We have NO IDENTITY. Shooting - Defense - Gritty - Physical - Fast - Deliberate - Inside Out - Star Focussed.......NONE of these can describe what we bring on a nightly basis. Our identity has no roots, and thus our results are insanely variable. In game, game to game, all of it.

These are fundamental issues that are deeply frustrating to the fans and alumni who knew Bucknell as an unyielding power in the Patriot League and in the country at the Mid Major level.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
12-06-21 01:46 AM - Post#330706    

Whatever ND’s faults maybe, IMO the misuse of Timmerman in the past is not one of them. The guy came in two years ago at close to three hundred pounds. Last year, while slimmed down some, he was still grossly overweight, and now the Bison had Screen, who was pretty much unstoppable in the PL by anyone but himself with his propensity for foul trouble.

This year Screen gets hurt and Timmerman has to play, and he makes the most of the opportunity. Good for him. Now the Bison have two effective big men at the 5, which makes me wonder what would happen if they were both on the floor at the same time. Just sayin.’

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-06-21 02:28 AM - Post#330709    

• bison63 Said:
Whatever ND’s faults maybe, IMO the misuse of Timmerman in the past is not one of them. The guy came in two years ago at close to three hundred pounds. Last year, while slimmed down some, he was still grossly overweight, and now the Bison had Screen, who was pretty much unstoppable in the PL by anyone but himself with his propensity for foul trouble.

This year Screen gets hurt and Timmerman has to play, and he makes the most of the opportunity. Good for him. Now the Bison have two effective big men at the 5, which makes me wonder what would happen if they were both on the floor at the same time. Just sayin.’

Agree. Timmerman had only himself to blame for lack of playing time

As for playing them together much, I don’t see that working. Both are pure centers. I don’t think you’d want either putting the ball to the floor and dribbling around screens 20 feet from the basket. And I’ve never seen either of them shoot a jump shot off the dribble. Also it would likely be a problem defensively, since Bucknell does not play any zone. It would be hard for either to chase around a quick 6-7 forward 20 feet from the basket, maneuvering around screens or trying to stay in front of them on multiple crossover dribbles.

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
12-06-21 10:28 PM - Post#330795    

While Timmerman was certainly flirting with 300 pounds his first two seasons he is not exactly Slim now. I honestly don't think 290 vs 270 makes much difference in his play. I remember Timmerman playing very well against the likes of Rider and other his freshman year. Larger point is simply that I feel the wrong players seem to get the opportunity and the better players can tend to get summoned to the end of the bench.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-06-21 10:55 PM - Post#330799    

I agree that Timmerman this year has earned playing time. But I don't think he deserved much the first two year. As a frosh, he was listed at 295 and was likely heavier. Now, fwiw, he shows up as 265. To my eye, I think the actual difference is at least 30. Some may recall that Timmerman, by his own admission, said he couldn't play as a high school soph when he weighed over 290. Then he dropped to 245 and turned into a legitimate D1 player.

I watched the Rider game, when Timmerman got minutes because Newman was not available. While he did score a few baskets, my own remembrance is a bit different, as I thought his weight and lack of quickness hurt him a lot. He only got one rebound in 22 minutes and struggled mightily to stay in front of his man. He managed to foul out in 22 minutes.

After Rider, he fouled out in 16 minutes vs Albany the next game. Again he appeared to be carrying too much weight to guard anyone. After that, he never got more than 10 minutes in a game and rarely played more than two minutes. Also for the year he committed close to eight fouls per 40 minutes. This year he is committing about three fouls per 40, and I think his footwork is much quicker.

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
12-06-21 11:03 PM - Post#330801    

Motta shouldn't get PT. That's all I want right now
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
12-07-21 12:25 AM - Post#330804    

My crystal ball has us losing to both Princeton and Lasalle. We should beat Lasalle handily but for all the reasons Scotty mentioned, poorly timed mass substitutions, wrong players playing at the wrong times, etc, we will not pull it off. Play five starters with minimal substitutions (except for center) and we beat Lasalle easily. Why make games more difficult than they have to be? We can play the way we do if we had patriot league POYs playing but right now we don't have the firepower for the plan. Change the plan.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-07-21 11:59 PM - Post#330866    

• Bison137 Said:
  • HuskyColonial Said:

Defense isn’t played. Period. Davis was an assistant on Bison teams that played smothering defenses. This is one way in which his arrogance manifests.

Bison now #313 in the nation in the Pomeroy rankings. Worst rank in the program's history.

Team ranks #358 in the nation in steals by their defense. That is LAST in the nation. And to complement that stat, they are in the bottom 30 in the nation in allowing the opposition to steal the ball. That's a difference of six possessions a game - just due to steals. Hard to make up. To some extent, those are functions of coaching and the system being played.

Team is also in the bottom 25 in the nation in defense (points allowed per possession) and also in the bottom 25 in shots blocked.

Fire ND.

Updating the current Bison ranking in various defensive stats:

- OVERALL DEFENSE: 337th (out of358)

- TURNOVERS BY OPPONENT: 358th (out of 358), i.e. dead last in forcing turnovers.

- STEALS: 354th.

- BLOCKS: 342nd

- DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING: 337TH

- DEFENSE AGAINST 2-POINTERS: 209th

Two possible conclusions: (a) coaching staff is incapable of coaching any defense; or (b) staff is incapable of recruiting players who can play defense. I lean more towards (a). I think in six weeks, Trevor Woodruff could have this team playing passable defense.

- - - - -

For a little balance, let me add that the Bison rank 317th in the nation in offensive rebounding and 329th in the nation in preventing steals by the opponent.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
12-08-21 12:32 AM - Post#330868    

I hope Jermaine Truax reads this board

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
12-08-21 12:36 AM - Post#330869    

• Bison137 Said:

Updating the current Bison ranking in various defensive stats:

- OVERALL DEFENSE: 337th (out of358)

- TURNOVERS BY OPPONENT: 358th (out of 358), i.e. dead last in forcing turnovers.

- STEALS: 354th.

- BLOCKS: 342nd

- DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING: 337TH

- DEFENSE AGAINST 2-POINTERS: 209th

Two possible conclusions: (a) coaching staff is incapable of coaching any defense; or (b) staff is incapable of recruiting players who can play defense. I lean more towards (a). I think in six weeks, Trevor Woodruff could have this team playing passable defense.

- - - - -

For a little balance, let me add that the Bison rank 317th in the nation in offensive rebounding and 329th in the nation in preventing steals by the opponent.

Inductive problem solving: A la Trevor Woodruff idea.

1. Get Flannery, who is probably mortified by these numbers from his protege, to take over the coaching duties.

2.Hire Paulson back, who could remedy these numbers in 21 to 30 days. A win/win for both Paulson and Bucknell

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
12-10-21 06:56 AM - Post#331094    

Does Davis have 1 or 2 more years left on his contract?

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-01-22 08:43 PM - Post#332077    

Starting off the New Year 0-1. At least we should have a chance at the bare minimum of splitting the Holy Cross series….On to the next!

New Years resolution for 2022. ND leaves and the staff joins.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-04-22 09:56 PM - Post#332325    

I got to watch the last few minutes of the game and I am seeing the same thing over and over again. Even outside of my prime I think I could drop 20 points on Bucknell’s layup defense.

When Army started jacking up 3’s in the last few minutes the score got close. Once they called the time out after that little run Bucknell went on they went back to driving and it was the layup show.

I think ND has 3 options:
-1 play 2/3 as I’ve said a lot over the years on this forum.
-2 watch some film on how to defend layups.
-3 LEAVE!!

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-04-22 10:03 PM - Post#332327    

Side Note: January 13th vs Lehigh.

I’d donate 300 brown paper bag masks to the college for the first 300 in attendance to wear as a giveaway that says #FireND on them since it’s a rivalry game.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-04-22 10:25 PM - Post#332330    

Many people will no longer post because of your negativity. Not the losing, YOUR negativity.

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-04-22 10:32 PM - Post#332335    

That’s fine. I post what I see and what I think. I dont lose sleep at night either way. The coaching staff should be the only ones losing sleep and maybe should be figuring out what they need to do because of many red flags.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-04-22 11:09 PM - Post#332338    

I’m being sarcastic Psycho. This board is mostly an alumni board and I’m in the minority as a fan who grew up in Milton. But the reality is alumni have the influence and they have to pressure the administration to fire Davis and invest in men’s and women’s basketball.

I have a great infinity for football and wrestling at Bucknell. But Bucknell had a chance to be a perennial mid-major with men’s hoops and it’s gone. Gone. It’s over. It’s a terrible men’s program with an awesome facility.

Maybe the future of Bucknell basketball is on the women’s side. In some ways that makes more sense given the portal and the lack of 5th year eligibility. And I’m down with that.

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
01-04-22 11:45 PM - Post#332345    

A John Griffin led team would not give up 90 Points to Army
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-04-22 11:55 PM - Post#332346    

• Scotty-14 Said:
A John Griffin led team would not give up 90 Points to Army

That’s for sure. In fact, in the scholarship era, no Pat Flannery team gave up that many points in a game. And only once did a Dave Paulson team give up that many points in regulation - and that was at Notre Dame.

It’s true that the Flannery and Paulson teams played at a somewhat slower pace, but tonight’s game was not played at a super fast pace. The score was high mostly because no defense was being played.

One interesting item, BTW, is that in the first half Army scored 50 points despite not getting even one free-throw attempt.

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-05-22 02:54 PM - Post#332357    

What is concerning is the frequent use of comparative superlatives and irregular adjectives in many recent topics and posts, all of a negative quality of Bucknell basketball performance. Worst defense, lowest crowd, worst play, weakest, etc. This linguistic use from long time credible observers gives clues and signals a future which is encoded and now out of the control of physical actions. While the head coach may be with Bucknell for some time now, the inevitable has now been locked in linguistically. While I would not go off packing, it would probably be a good idea to dust off the bags.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
01-07-22 11:55 AM - Post#332481    

This is interesting. Dave Paulsen is now a college basketball analyst for USA network. He makes his debut tomorrow.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-07-22 10:01 PM - Post#332623    

Holy Cross just passed us to put us in last place. It was HC’s first D1 win too. Congrats HC you deserve 9th place because at least you played both sides of the floor.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-07-22 10:07 PM - Post#332627    

Holy Cross just passed us to put us in last place. It was HC’s first D1 win too. Congrats HC you deserve 9th place because at least you played both sides of the floor.

A bit of trivia: This is only the second time in 30 regular seasons that the Bison have started league play 0-3. And the first time in those 30 years that they have been in last place all by themselves after three games.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
01-07-22 10:10 PM - Post#332631    

That is really sad 137…
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-07-22 10:20 PM - Post#332638    

Holy Cross has just barred all fans from games. ND has also done that. 0-19 in league games is a possibility, hope for COVID cancellations

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-07-22 10:31 PM - Post#332646    

That is really sad and more records will be breaking I’m sure in the near future.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-07-22 10:32 PM - Post#332648    

Remember the Turtle!

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-07-22 10:48 PM - Post#332650    

http://www.thebullruntaphouse.com/menu

Davis will make it back before closing.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-08-22 02:11 PM - Post#332698    

Off topic question. Why has there never been a woman D1 head basketball coach? Is there a reason why there couldn’t be?

I understand the vast difference in styles of play between the sexes but I’m kind of surprised that glass ceiling hasn’t been cracked yet.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-08-22 11:03 PM - Post#332889    

Or let’s take a variation on that question. How about successful male coaches of womens’ teams. I can think of two right off the top of my head.
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
01-08-22 11:50 PM - Post#332899    

In that regard, worth noting that Roussell has Richmond at 11-4, and 2-0 in the A-10.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-09-22 03:52 PM - Post#332971    

One answer I have come up with is recruiting. Will a young alpha male basketball play for a woman? I think so but it would have to be a dynamic personality like a Lisa Leslie or similar.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-10-22 09:58 PM - Post#333059    

Not sure when the last time Bucknell started 0-4 in league play, but that was atrocious.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-10-22 10:07 PM - Post#333061    

It’s a culture of losing now. They expect to lose regardless of how hard they play. 3-13. 0-4 in League. I’m not sure if they win another game. Maybe 1 or 2 but they certainly aren’t making the PL tournament.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-11-22 12:21 AM - Post#333071    

Doesn't everyone make the tournament?

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-11-22 12:38 AM - Post#333072    

Not sure when the last time Bucknell started 0-4 in league play, but that was atrocious.

The last time was 1981-82. However the opponents then were LaSalle, Saint Joe’s, Temple, and Hofstra. A bit different than the four teams this year.

One other difference is that team in 1982 had a really good future. It included newcomers Jaye Andrews, Ed Sigl, and Eric Hegedus. Plus Cal Puriefoy emerged as a really good point guard during the year. The next season they were good, and the following season they were great. Does anyone see that happening here?

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-11-22 12:46 AM - Post#333075    

I guess that is one of the glaring issues…apparent greatness or even solid play is not on the horizon. We could be shocked but there is no nucleus of Muscala et al developing to lead this program.
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
01-11-22 01:41 AM - Post#333076    

• Bison137 Said:

The last time was 1981-82. However the opponents then were LaSalle, Saint Joe’s, Temple, and Hofstra. A bit different than the four teams this year.

One other difference is that team in 1982 had a really good future. It included newcomers Jaye Andrews, Ed Sigl, and Eric Hegedus. Plus Cal Puriefoy emerged as a really good point guard during the year. The next season they were good, and the following season they were great. Does anyone see that happening here?

Your recollection of that 81-82 team is very different than mine. Three of the 7 wins were vs Division 3, and the low point of the program in the 45 years that I have been following it was a home loss to Messiah College in mid-February. I can’t imagine how this board would have handled that season. Charlie Woollum certainly would have been on the hot seat. Jaye Andrews was viewed as a potential standout, but not so much for those other names. Eric Hegedus was a JV player that year, and many weren’t real fans of Cal until midway through the next season. I’m hopeful that 40 years from now others might have the same view of 2021-22.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
01-11-22 08:25 AM - Post#333078    

I feel that with a good not a great coach that this team would have 3 wins in league play as of today.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-13-22 09:13 PM - Post#333228    

ND looks really calm for getting blown out and watching the layup show!
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
02-23-22 09:20 PM - Post#337439    

I would like to congratulate ND and staff on the wonderful job they have put together this season with this program. I would expect Boston will beat us by 10+ and give us the Big ole last place in the league.

I hope the basketball staff reads this board and you throw in the towel at the end of the season, so we don’t see it any worse next season.

I enjoyed the ride with DP’s recruits getting you the W, but that boat has sailed and it’s long long gone. Last place is the new norm so, we will get use to it or #FireND!
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-23-22 10:44 PM - Post#337447    

If Nathan Davis cares about the program, the school, and the players, he will announce that he is stepping down at the end of the season.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-23-22 11:30 PM - Post#337450    

AD Truax needs to live up to his name and give the true axe to coach Davis

river rat
Sophomore
Posts 187
02-24-22 11:53 PM - Post#337494    

• HuskyColonial Said:
Off topic question. Why has there never been a woman D1 head basketball coach? Is there a reason why there couldn’t be?

I understand the vast difference in styles of play between the sexes but I’m kind of surprised that glass ceiling hasn’t been cracked yet.

In 2018, Becky Hammond (former WNBA star and CSU all-american and Russia Olympic team member) was interviewed for Colorado State job and was reportedly a serious target. Word on the street is that she broke off discussions as she decided to stay focused on becoming the first women's head coach in the NBA.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
02-25-22 10:19 AM - Post#337505    

Thanks! Good info. I’m wondering how long we can keep Mazzante on staff?
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-25-22 11:15 AM - Post#337507    

Like to see her take the men's position

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
04-29-22 08:35 PM - Post#340915    

Who’s next?
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
04-30-22 12:50 PM - Post#340922    

Did you get today's email from Truex?
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
04-30-22 01:54 PM - Post#340923    

Yes...they will reorganize the coaching staff and have a dedicated strength and conditioning coach. Not clear whether this is an added position, or part of the reassignment.

A couple a facilities improvements to one of the better facilities. And address the possibility of incoming transfers, and addressing the changing landscape of the transfer portal.

In other words, we are looking at adapting to change, but there are no immediate plans.

Reminds of the story of the new CEO consulting with his fired predecessor. The old CEO gave the new three envelopes, marked to open in order when rough times occurred. So after a year or so, it got rough. Envelope 1 said "Blame your predecessor." That worked for a while, but sure enough, Envelope 2 needed to be opened. It said simply "Reorganize.". That too worked, but eventually, the third envelope was needed. Upon opening, it said "Make up three envelopes."

I fear that we have just opened envelope 2.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
05-01-22 12:08 PM - Post#340934    

• bison75 Said:
Did you get today's email from Truex?

For those who didn't get his email, here is what it said:

Bison Men’s Basketball Supporters,

As we reflect on the state of our men’s basketball program, it is clear that the on-court results have not met the high expectations of our storied program. Coach Davis and I share in this disappointment, and we have spent the past several weeks together discussing the path forward and evaluating every aspect of the program. This review included both on- and off-the-court deficiencies and Coach Davis has been tasked with making necessary changes to build toward success next season.

Initial steps coming out of our discussion to enhance the program:

- Set to hire a new strength & conditioning coach exclusively for basketball;

- The coaching staff is being reorganized and duties will be adjusted to better address on- and off-the-court areas needing improvement, including recruiting, communications, player development and community engagement;

- Facility renovations that include the basketball locker room, adding a dedicated film room, Normatec recovery stations, a student-athlete relaxation space, and an enhanced nutrition and refueling station;

- A commitment to addressing the potential for incoming transfers and the evolving landscape of the Division I Men’s Basketball Transfer Portal; and,

- Reallocation of program resources to prioritize a full summer training and academic offering for student-athletes.

We have made these improvements with the expectation to compete for and win future Patriot League championships. Our assessment will be ongoing, and we will continue to make enhancements where necessary as we chart our championship path.

We recognize this work is not easy and it takes everyone, just as it did while winning previous championships. Despite our recent challenges, it was extremely encouraging that so many Bison alumni, donors, and fans continued to positively support our players and prove why The Bison Way is unmatched in the Patriot League. One thing is for certain: we will not be able to achieve our goals without the continued belief of our Bison Family.

It has been two full seasons since we have permitted supporters in Sojka without restrictions. Two years ago, we prohibited fans altogether and this past year we had reduced capacity requirements among other restrictions. We cannot wait to see you in Sojka Pavilion in November as you all provide us with one of the best competitive advantages in the Patriot League!

Thank you for your continued support, passion, and commitment.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
05-01-22 12:24 PM - Post#340935    

Yeah I saw that. Not sure how many of those steps affect change to Davis’ personality, coaching acumen, use of players, make players want to stay and play, etc…
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
05-01-22 12:28 PM - Post#340936    

I was not at all impressed by this email. Most of the items he lists are not really relevant to why the team has been so bad. I think/hope he is trying to buy time until after next year when the buyout will be small enough to fire ND. One thing that could help is if they make it easier to attract transfers. But Bucknell's facilities are already better than most everyone in the PL and most other northeastern mid-majors. And women's basketball, which has been very successful, deals with all of the same issues - without being affected. Matt Langel at Colgate has much worse facilities and shares a strength coach with multiple sports.

To help Jermaine Truax, I talked to a sports consultant, who came up with a list of the top ten reasons for Bucknell basketball being at its lowest point in at least 50 years. Here they are:

1 Incompetent coaching staff
2 Incompetent coaching staff
3 Incompetent coaching staff
4 Incompetent coaching staff
5 Incompetent coaching staff
6 Incompetent coaching staff
7 Incompetent coaching staff
8 Incompetent coaching staff
9 Incompetent coaching staff
10 Incompetent coaching staff

It doesn't appear he understands this, so for a consulting fee I will happily provide a fix for all ten of these problems.

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
11-26-22 05:19 PM - Post#347105    

Welp! It’s that time of year again. Had to blow the dust off this forum because it’s time again to push the fire ND! Even though the this board is dead over the Bucknell sport performances in many if not all sports. Maybe, it’s time for a house cleaning of the athletic department.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-26-22 10:20 PM - Post#347131    

Agree about Davis. Don’t agree about the athletic department in general because they have been sabotaged to a large degree by the administration. Give most of these coaches a level playing field and they will do just fine.

Also note that in almost all team sports that the PL has screwed schools like Bucknell who don’t have the ability to bring back many 5th year players. Many of the PL competitors have teams with many 5th year athletes.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-26-22 10:41 PM - Post#347132    

One more comment about the above. I only see two Bucknell coaches who maybe should be gone: MBB and Football. The football coach inherited a very tough situation, which is a factor, but the men's basketball coach inherited the absolute BEST situation any PL hoops coach has ever walked into.

As for the other Bison coaches, I think there are two others where it is too early to judge. All the other coaches imo are doing an above average job when you factor in the unlevel playing field many face.

One thing I would like to see is for Jermaine Truax and the coaches to start pushing back on the administration for fairer treatment. Many alums who support athletics are probably unaware of all of the factors that help determine success or failure.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
11-28-22 01:02 PM - Post#347202    

• Bison137 Said:
One thing I would like to see is for Jermaine Truax and the coaches to start pushing back on the administration for fairer treatment.

As you know, the world of college athletics has drastically changed in recent years. One could argue that the internal issues need to be addressed before making changes so that you are an attractive option for top head coaching candidates. That said, I believe changes are coming regardless.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
12-30-22 06:19 PM - Post#348599    

A much needed bump!
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
12-30-22 06:25 PM - Post#348600    

It’s gonna happen but at least 2 years too late.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-30-22 06:32 PM - Post#348602    

Yes, should have been done last March.

JPM
Masters Student
Posts 449
JPM
01-02-23 06:32 PM - Post#348735    

This team and this program are unrecognizable from the days of DP coaching the team.

The decline is just sad to see for a once great small-college program.

The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-02-23 07:01 PM - Post#348738    

Not only does Bucknell start 0-2 in season play, but a bad Holy Cross team starts 2-0. The Holy Cross team that now has 3 D1 wins. 2 in conference and 1 outside of conference. One program made some adjustments while one is still just as awful.
DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
01-02-23 07:16 PM - Post#348740    

While we’re talking about firing ND could we also please fire Bravman and Truax. Under their “leadership”, a once exceptional and proud athletic department and program is becoming a non-competitive joke. And the worst thing is, no one cares and no one is held accountable.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-02-23 08:18 PM - Post#348745    

That’s correct DrBison. No one cares. And maybe that’s by their design. I expect Davis to be retained. Maybe lauded for competing through adversity.
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
01-02-23 10:40 PM - Post#348796    

Cheer up, folks. It’s only seven and a half months until women’s soccer season.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-02-23 11:27 PM - Post#348797    

Let's just shut the whole place down. Turn it into a Polo field for Evangelical. Bucknell proper needs to shape up or will start heading down a slippery slope even its signature resiliency can't stop. Or I'm becoming the old cranky guy where things aren't like they used to be. I want to be proud of my Alma Mater. Don't like the competitive athletics product right now.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-05-23 09:58 PM - Post#348956    

First time I think ever in ND career he used all of his timeouts with about 5min and some change left in the game. Fire ND signs will be coming to communities near you soon!
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-05-23 10:40 PM - Post#348959    

I would appreciate if the players went out on the court and sat down to start the next game. That would spare them fighting hard but not being coached.
mcapodee
Sophomore
Posts 156
01-06-23 11:31 AM - Post#348977    

Surely it would have been worth the $300k to have Davis sit at home this year.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
01-18-23 08:51 PM - Post#349850    

I agree!

HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
01-26-23 06:21 PM - Post#350270    

For some reason, I had an ESPN link to "Bucknell Basketball" come up on my screen. On clicking, all I saw was a list of "Bucknell loses to Rutgers, Bucknell loses to Navy, Bucknell loses to etc., etc." So sad.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
01-27-23 12:15 AM - Post#350282    

Nathan Davis is the worst coach in Bucknell men’s basketball history. He’s a charlatan and no one at Bucknell cares.
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
01-27-23 01:09 AM - Post#350283    

It really seems like this group has given up. A new staff next season now seems inevitable. JT would be on just as hot a Hot Seat if he does not make the change next month in my opinion
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-27-23 08:59 AM - Post#350292    

Thank you, Nathan Davis!

DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
01-27-23 10:13 AM - Post#350294    

Truax should be on the hot seat regardless. How many winning programs have we had under his “leadership”?
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-27-23 03:17 PM - Post#350307    

This is a public fan message board but is I'm sure there are concerns being addressed behind closed doors. Personally I think this team is underperforming, and I feel it wouldn't take a hall of fame coach to motivate this halfway decent team. What is Bravman's, perspective on this? I kind of like athletics and sports and want to see Bucknell succeed. The Truax/Davis combination is Lackluster, to be nice about it. My concern now is there will be no changes next year and will have to endure this shroud of losing for another year. Is this the new Bucknell standard for sports?

BeckyBison91
Freshman
Posts 21
01-27-23 04:08 PM - Post#350310    

Thank you Tim Pavlechko! Thank you Jermaine Truax!
BeckyBison91

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-27-23 05:05 PM - Post#350311    

When was the last time JT was visible at a basketball game? A: Terri Grieb's retirement presentation.

When was the last time ND was at a basketball game? In body or spirit?

But Tim? What has he done to deserve thanks?

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-27-23 05:07 PM - Post#350312    

• DrBison Said:
Truax should be on the hot seat regardless. How many winning programs have we had under his “leadership”?

I am not a big Truax fan, but to be fair it must be noted that a lot of the Bucknell programs operate under a big headwind courtesy of the Administration, the PL, and the BOT (and general circumstances):

1. Fewer scholarships than our peer schools in sports other than MBB, WBB, and football.
2. No 5th year athletes allowed except under exceptional circumstances. For example, Holy Cross had about 15 fifth years this year for football while Bucknell had zero.
3. Tougher transfer requirements than most PL schools.
4. No grad programs to attract athletes who might stay for five years.
5. The PL OK'd the unfair NCAA rule allowing athletes to play five years if they played during the covid year. That gives a huge advantage to certain PL schools compared to others.
6. No help given to student-athletes in scheduling courses that don't conflict with practice times.

In general I think the Bison have a good group of coaches, with the exception of men's basketball and possibly football. Football however operates on a very unlevel playing field.

BeckyBison91
Freshman
Posts 21
01-27-23 06:15 PM - Post#350315    

Bison54, as the Deputy Athletic Director (or some such job title), Tim's athletic "blurb" says he "supervises 12 sports, including football and men's basketball, at Bucknell." To me, that makes Tim just as culpable as others in the administration. Or, he needs a more accurate job blurb!
BeckyBison91

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-27-23 07:01 PM - Post#350316    

Thanks Becky

So the answer to my question as to what did Tim do is "nothing." Same as ND and JT, right?

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-27-23 07:05 PM - Post#350317    

I don’t know who to blame but the absolute simple truth is, if ND is still HC next year we will NOT be getting season tickets. So sad. My absolute favorite winter activity was Bucknell basketball 15 years was Bucknell basketball…the. Last year sucked and this year is worse. It’s not even fun. We will renew tickets if there is a new coach and there is promise of things getting better, but outside of that, we’re out.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-27-23 08:12 PM - Post#350320    

• BeckyBison91 Said:
Thank you Tim Pavlechko! Thank you Jermaine Truax!

I'm not sure Tim deserves to be in this category. He is, unfortunately, in a position where he can't do much to change the things that are wrong. The problems are largely at a higher level. From what I've heard, he might agree with a number of the things that have been posted on this board.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
01-27-23 08:26 PM - Post#350321    

That really puts Tim in a difficult position. Hopefully in a couple of months this will be behind and things are moving in a positive direction.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-27-23 09:22 PM - Post#350324    

Tim would be my choice for AD despite the difficult positions he's been in. I think he's seasoned enough to lead Bucknell Athletics forward. I wasn't so sure when Hardt left, But he could lead us out of this quagmire. I can imagine when Hardt left, if we put Tim in as AD and then hired Dane F. as coach when we had the chance, we'd be in a much better spot than we are now in.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
01-28-23 04:09 PM - Post#350349    

Looks like a Shady Maple stop on the way home for ND. Hopefully he can learn how to coach and he may want to read his books because his fundamentals of coaching ain’t working.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
01-28-23 05:04 PM - Post#350356    

I did not see the last two games….how is the body language of the players? Do they seem like they are fully invested in the game? Do they appear to be listening and talking in what coaches are saying during games? I’m curious who might enter the transfer portal after this disappointing season?
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
01-28-23 05:53 PM - Post#350366    

Good question Phillie. Even better one might be “ who won’t.” I mean if you were Bijiek, would you stay?
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
01-28-23 06:11 PM - Post#350369    

The most important transfer at this point is ND! That was pathetic today!
candyfan
Masters Student
Posts 459
candyfan
01-29-23 09:31 AM - Post#350457    

A couple of points from the "for what it's worth" department.............

1. Nathan Davis has proven he can coach as Flannery's assnt, at his Alma Mater and when he first arrived, coaching Paulsen's steller team.

2. What Nathan has NOT done in recent years is RECRUIT! Perhaps it's the one-hand-tied-behind-his- back situation with the meddling to non-cooperative administration/faculty?

Or perhaps it's his coaches who are failing to get our next Zach Thomas/Stephen Brown/Mike Muscala???

3. Note that Jermaine Truax DID write a public letter warning Davis and staff that Bucknell is expected to win, not finish last. Secondly, Truax thanked fans for their support, which has been waning of course, and pleaded with them to stay the course while the Men try to get their act together.

4. Finally, the only problem with this current team is, while they're a nice bunch of guys, there's no real talent on the team outside perhaps Alex T. and XRice! Ok, throw in Jack Forest, who's been coming on following an injury.

Most of these guys on this team could not start for any other team in the league, the way they've been playing IMHO.

5. lOOk for adjustments to be made end of season, especially if we don't win any more games. And I fear we won't!
JPM
Masters Student
Posts 449
JPM
01-29-23 11:37 AM - Post#350465    

Xavier brought Sean Miller back and it's working well thus far. Butler brought back Thad Matta.

Bucknell should bring Paulsen back. He's the AC at Fordham on first-year HC Urgo's staff. Fordham is having a good year in the A-10 this season. DP has been a valued member of that staff.

Bring DP back and in two years you will have Bucknell back in the upper echelon of the PL where the storied program belongs.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
01-30-23 03:16 PM - Post#350515    

• JPM Said:

Bucknell should bring Paulsen back. He's the AC at Fordham on first-year HC Urgo's staff. Fordham is having a good year in the A-10 this season. DP has been a valued member of that staff.

That horse has left the barn. My armchair digital two cents is get Jamion Christian to lead Bucknell back to where they belong. He is a decent recruiter, and has the enthusiasm needed to coach the team. Bucknell professors never could be categorized as "stuffy", neither should the basketball coach for God's sake.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
01-31-23 09:24 AM - Post#350540    

• JPM Said:
Xavier brought Sean Miller back and it's working well thus far. Butler brought back Thad Matta.

Bring DP back and in two years you will have Bucknell back in the upper echelon of the PL where the storied program belongs.

I understand DP is back channeling at Loyola as well. Wonder which job he would prefer?
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
02-01-23 01:59 PM - Post#350584    

I have to admit that I've stopped watching games. I even canceled my ESPN+ subscription. Sorry, I just can't watch this season.

E A G L E S!!!

Doktore K
Masters Student
Posts 473
02-04-23 01:03 PM - Post#350769    

Hard for me to state this too. But like Bison89 I have cancelled my ESPN+ subscription and have lost interest in watching Bison basketball this season. We’ve sunk from first to worst. This is not Bison Basketball as I’ve experienced it for more than 45 years.

We have our tallest team ever but don’t seem to have a game by strategy to push the ball inside and dominate smaller PL teams. We get outrebounded almost every game. And why not mix in some zone defense or a match up zone when you have guys who can’t quickly switch onto smaller players? Makes little logical sense. At least try a different defense or two. Mix it up.

I’ve lost confidence in this staff. Lack of communication, lack of a team identity (see above) and lack of a plan to leverage a roster’s strengths. How about going at the opponent’s standout players and working to get THEM in foul trouble? Not a new idea but it works.

On a positive note, basketball programs can snap back quickly with a few top recruits or transfers, and with excellent coaching and leadership. Much faster than football or baseball, for example.
When DP brought in Joe Willman, Mike Muscala, and Bryson Johnson more than 12 years ago, our fortunes improved quickly.

Staying positive for better days ahead. Bucknell Basketball has been for decades a crown jewel for Bucknell University. Let’s all work to express ourselves and put a fresh shine on our jewel.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
02-04-23 01:35 PM - Post#350771    

Amen!
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
02-04-23 04:26 PM - Post#350776    

The contrast with the women’s program couldn’t be more striking. A young team that graduated two outstanding players struggled early, but has benefited from a tough non-conference schedule, strong player development, and excellent coaching. As a result, they are now jelling and playing their best basketball of the season despite injuries to Collins and Matthews. Another good win at Army today, and happy to see that Collins was back. I have a hunch that, unlike the men, they’ll be a tough out in the tournament.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
02-12-23 01:44 PM - Post#351460    

Bison sole possession of last place and kenpom ranking of 306.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-12-23 02:59 PM - Post#351471    

• bisonmania Said:
Bison sole possession of last place and kenpom ranking of 306.

Over the past 60 years, the worst league record achieved by the Bison was in 1961-62: 2-9 (.182). ND still has a shot for 3-15 (.167).

Combining this year and last year, when the PL record was 3-15, they have a shot for the worst two-year league record since 1965. Sad what ND has done to the program.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
02-13-23 04:40 PM - Post#351555    

Fwiw, that ‘61-62 team ( which was my era) played in the Middle Atlantic Conference which included LaSalle, St Joes, Temple and Rutgers among it’s members. St. Joes won the conference, and in fact demolished the Bison by 30 points. It was a 10 team conference, but a look at the final standings reveals an unbalanced schedule. Bison played 11 conference games, St Joe played 10, LaSalle only 8, Delaware 13 and Lehigh 14. The Bison lost in ot to Rutgers 79-78,and the two wins came against Gettysburg a 74-50 romp, and Muhlenberg 100-67. Bison played G-burg a second time and lost by 10. Before laughing about Gettysburg, know that they were 18-6 for the season and 7-5 in the conference. We also played Delaware twice losing at home by 6 and by 18 in Newark.
The highlight of the season was a 75/59 win over what was considered to be a pretty good Navy team which went 13-8 for the season,( Navy was a non conf game) After losing to the Bison the Mids next game was at Penn Stste which they won by 12, 79-67.

Finally, the Bison played PSU themselves two times that season, losing 61-50, and winning 69-68. Overall record for the year was 7-15.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
02-13-23 04:56 PM - Post#351559    

Also it may interest you to know that the the 61-62 season was the last one for Coach Ben Kribbs. For the next season Gene Evans was brought in to assume the Coaching duties. As for Kribbs , well they made him the AD. I guess that is one way to do it!
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-14-23 10:19 AM - Post#351582    

After a minute or so ND blasted the team for sloppy play in an early timeout. It worked!!

ND was clearly outcoached last night (LOL). Brennan and American played to the Bison strengths and our guys took advantage of the opportunities. Screen was left one on one without help far too often and took advantage of it. And Forrest was awesome. And no zone press? Congrats to the team to playing with passion....and the student crowd was great to see for a change.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-14-23 11:12 AM - Post#351588    

Yes it was a good game by the Bison…of course it always helps when you shoot considerably above your average. But it looked like players had some fun. And yeah, Davis showed some life 90 seconds into the game which helped.

In the postgame interviews, Josh Adoh mentioned that the coaches are great, that they will be successful as long as they do what he asks, that he creates great plays….I’m not sure how much of that is really true. I often wonder what players sincerely think and feel about coaches.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
02-18-23 05:57 PM - Post#351917    

Much needed BUMP!
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-18-23 08:19 PM - Post#351950    

There better be a change.
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
02-18-23 09:06 PM - Post#351978    

If I am looking at this correctly the Bison can not finish higher than 9th place in regular season. With a tough road game coming up at Lehigh.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-18-23 10:18 PM - Post#352018    

And if Loyola wins at home against HC or American, the anchor is set, even if the Bison win both remaining games.

And ND's last chance at a Frosty is next Saturday with Lafayette in town......and they will be fighting to avoid a PIG.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-22-23 09:51 PM - Post#352342    

Bison lose 78-62 to Lehigh, who came into the game ranked #288 in the nation. Bucknell has now clinched outright 10th place (i.e. last place) in the PL. First time ever for Bucknell finishing an outright last. Last year ND managed to coach them to a tie for last.

FIRE ND!

DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
02-22-23 09:54 PM - Post#352343    

And the administration could care less!
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
02-22-23 11:23 PM - Post#352346    

Here’s a cheery thought. With Rice and Timmerman graduating, we’ll probably be worse next year.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-22-23 11:31 PM - Post#352347    

• bison75 Said:
Here’s a cheery thought. With Rice and Timmerman graduating, we’ll probably be worse next year.

No question, unless there is a new coach and he manages to land a couple of transfers and bring a lot of energy to the program and change the entire system.The two recruits were coming in or not nearly as good as the players who are graduating.

What is even worse is that every year that ND continues to destroy the program will probably require two more years just to return the program to the same mediocre level. It’s not easy salvaging a ship that has already sunk.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-23-23 11:10 AM - Post#352359    

Consistency is rewardable!

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
02-23-23 11:22 AM - Post#352361    

I understand that ticket prices will be raised next year to make up for the constantly decreasing ticket sales in what sounds like a reverse Ponzi scheme.

I also understand that incentives will be upgraded.
Red Robin awards will now be earned if the opponents score ten or fewer three pointers, and Frosty's will be earned if opponents are held to under 85 points.

If the Bison manage a win, all ticketholders will be entered in a drawing for a special barbeque with the coach information sharing session.

They will also increase the price of a hot dog.

And parking fees will be charged.

All to return the program to profitability.

Jim
Freshman
Posts 9
02-24-23 06:26 PM - Post#352455    

I have no idea if my previous post went through---Suffice it to say, Davis and company do not have the ability to coach at the D1 level. Next year will be worse---In the last several years we have gone from the class of the league to a total disaster. Used to have a program that would be at least competitive against Rutgers---now they can't compete against an undersized Lafayette squad. If the AD and Administration don't understand this, they should be gone. By the way, where is Screen---Not that it matters--Hopefully he transfers to an appropriate D3 program.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
02-25-23 02:57 PM - Post#352493    

Screen is not going to D3. 7 footers don't grow on trees. A real coach would have coached this kid up which I'm sure his family expected when he committed.
JimK_LU72
Freshman
Posts 41
02-25-23 03:32 PM - Post#352497    

As my dad was a Bucknell alum and we lived in Milton I am a Bison fan, unless they are playing my alma mater, Lehigh.

Regarding Screen, my wife and I are Lehigh season ticket holders so we were at the game Wednesday at The Stabler Barn. Andre was in sweats and a boot on one foot. So we knew it would be an even longer night for The Bison.

Is it just me or has the Patriot League in general gotten less competitive with the rest of divisions 1 ? Maybe with the exception of Colgate? Even with the academic standards as a handicap, we used to be a lot more competitive with the lower level of the A10, or the Ivies. It's not my place to comment on Davis, but I wonder if the level of coaching in the league in general has declined. The historic Kenpom ratings of division one leagues seems to indicate that.
The Psycho of Sojka
Sophomore
Posts 107
03-02-23 06:01 PM - Post#352859    

Probably the most talked about topic with probably the most views on this board may finally be at rest. Happy Trails ND!
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
03-02-23 06:01 PM - Post#352860    

We can finally say goodbye to this thread!!!
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-02-23 06:46 PM - Post#352867    

The page is turned. Hooray

bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
03-02-23 07:52 PM - Post#352869    

I never wish anyone ill, but this was clearly necessary. Best wishes to Davis in the future, whatever and wherever that may be.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-02-23 09:38 PM - Post#352881    

A man is his own man. They have their own values, gifts, mannerisms, flaws, etc. I’m not sure I’ll ever understand Nathan Davis. But I hope if he coaches again he’ll be self-aware enough to give his many shortcomings sôme examination.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
03-12-23 03:26 PM - Post#353897    

After a brief hiatus from this board, I'm back.

It has been time for a change for a long time. Please hire a new head coach!

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.342 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:37 AM