Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: NC State Game
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
11-08-21 11:56 PM - Post#327841    

Bison preview:
https://bucknellbison.com/news/2021/11/8/mens-b ask...

Bucknell says the game will stream on ACC Network Extra. I see it as also airing on ESPN+:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/eventC alendarI...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-09-21 12:32 AM - Post#327842    

One betting site has NC State as a 23 point favorite. Pomeroy also has it at 23. Frankly I hope the Bison can keep it that close.

mcapodee
Sophomore
Posts 156
11-09-21 01:59 PM - Post#327857    

Does it make me a bad Bucknellian if I lay the points?
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-09-21 02:48 PM - Post#327865    

• mcapodee Said:
Does it make me a bad Bucknellian if I lay the points?

Makes you a smart one.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-09-21 08:01 PM - Post#327887    

I agree…staying within 23 is a win for Bucknell. That might be true against many Patriot League opponents as well.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
11-09-21 08:05 PM - Post#327889    

23 points is a fair line. This is not Regis. NC State is coming to play. We don't have the firepower for a game like this.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-09-21 09:05 PM - Post#327895    

Crazy that it’s 8-0 Bucknell in the opening minutes.

Now 13-4. NC State shooting horribly and not appearing to be into the game.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-09-21 09:12 PM - Post#327897    

“I’m not much for giving inspirational addresses, but I’d just like to point out that every newspaper in the country has picked us to finish last. The local press seems to think that we’d save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I’m for wasting sportswriters’ time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give ‘em all a nice big shitburger to eat!”

— Lou Brown, Major League
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-09-21 09:19 PM - Post#327898    

I’m just glad they can pronounce Bison names considering how one sided the broadcast is.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
11-09-21 09:32 PM - Post#327900    

If Screen can stay on the floor I think we got a chance with NC States big man Bates hurt and not coming back.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-09-21 09:52 PM - Post#327903    

It’s the Xander Rice show thus far. He looks like an ACC talent tonight frankly. Screen is really good too and when he’s fed the ball, NC State can’t defend him. That and the positive contributions from the freshmen is the good.

The bad is Timmerman is a MASSIVE drop off in ability but again Screen has to avoid fouls to stay in the court. Rhodes looks completely overmatched as well. Funk hasn’t changed at all in four years. Launches shots way too early in the shot clock and is at his best in the midrange unless he shoot in rhythm.

Hard to be upset at the half though considering the line was 24 and most thought that was a tough cover! Nathan Davis even looks a little thinner. ????
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-09-21 09:55 PM - Post#327904    

They've already succeeded, certainly exceeded expectations, in my book. There really seems to be a great chemistry on this team. Let's hope they can hang around a while longer.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-09-21 09:59 PM - Post#327906    

Rice is the leader. Funk hasn’t met as hot he won’t take, but has hit some. Screen looks very good and yes, Timmerman is a huge drop off but he did somehow make a bucket at the buzzer to toe it at the half. Rhodes not looking good. Agree overall that the team seems to have some chemistry that often was lacking over the last few seasons. Couldatill be a blowout if NC St plays with passion….
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-09-21 10:12 PM - Post#327907    

More 3 point shot lunacy. The inside-outside game is there with Screen on the court.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-09-21 10:21 PM - Post#327910    

With Screen you have to go through him. Funk especially throws up shots at will. I can’t complain that the Bison are within two, but they aren’t shooting threes well and keep jacking them. Also rebounding has been an issue, which we knew it would be.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
11-09-21 10:41 PM - Post#327919    

A good first half, they gave in a little at the end but overall a success. The season looks bright if they can improve the next few games. They need to not give up when threatened with an easy score. When all the players shake out, we'll have a decent starting five and solid reserves.
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
11-10-21 01:30 AM - Post#327930    

Adoh was a welcome surprise. Had his good and bad, but his talent level/potential is top notch. JVH also looked a little better, though I'd prefer him not inbound the ball when the other team is pressing. Rhodes had a bad night, but I don't see that repeating itself too often.

TWO THINGS I think make or break us:

1. Can Funk shoot mid 40s+ from the field?

2. Can the team shoot 35%+ from 3?

If both are no, we may be just a screwed as we thought. I am proud of the guys tonight, but will reserve optimism until I get clarity on those questions.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-10-21 01:11 PM - Post#327959    

Many thanks to GMoney for texting me at halftime. Otherwise, I might have missed the entire game.

Overall, the Bison played better than I ever expected. It will be interesting to see how this team does.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-10-21 01:13 PM - Post#327960    

BTW, Bucknell +23 was the bet to make!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-10-21 01:47 PM - Post#327961    

• Scotty-14 Said:
Adoh was a welcome surprise. Had his good and bad, but his talent level/potential is top notch. JVH also looked a little better, though I'd prefer him not inbound the ball when the other team is pressing. Rhodes had a bad night, but I don't see that repeating itself too often.

TWO THINGS I think make or break us:

1. Can Funk shoot mid 40s+ from the field?

2. Can the team shoot 35%+ from 3?

If both are no, we may be just a screwed as we thought. I am proud of the guys tonight, but will reserve optimism until I get clarity on those questions.

You make a number of good points. Adoh was definitely impressive, better than expected. And VDH had the best offensive game of his career. Unfortunately he was his normal self on the boards - grabbing one in 24 minutes. Last year he had the worst rebounding rate on the team. Worse than Deuce Turner, Walter Ellis, etc. Malachi Rhodes got 3x as many available rebounds as VDH.

As for the 3-point shooting, I am afraid Bucknell may have only one reliable long-range shooter: Elvin Edmonds, who was very good in HS. Bascoe has a reputation for shooting the three, but he didn't play at all last year - and he may have very limited minutes this year. Hopefully Adoh can fill that role. Funk's career 3-point pct is a poor .306. Rice's career mark is .303, although he was much better last year. The team hit less than 19% of their threes in the GWU scrimmage fwiw, and was 29% last night.

Your goal of 35% on threes is really an absolute minimum that they need to hit to have success. Last year they hit 32.9% on threes - one of only two seasons in the scholarship era worse than 34%. Average has been over 36%. The 2004-07 period and the 2010-15 period bothsaw averages of about 38%.

Although the final margin of 18 points was respectable, if looked at another way it was not:

First five minutes: NCS 1, Bucknell 13
First half: final 15:NCS 39, Bucknell 27
Second half:NCS 48, Bucknell 30

So BU blew them out for five minutes - a span when NCS missed all of their 13 shots and also saw their star big man suffer a potenailly serious shoulder injury in the first minute. Then after things stabilized, the score the rest of the way was NCS 87, Bucknell 57. Not sure if that gives me cause for optimism.

If there is any causes for optimism, I suppose they would be: Adoh's play, VDH's play at the offensive end (only), Edmonds looking like he belonged, Rice's solid PG play, and Screen showing some development. As for Screen, it is a bit disappointing that he doesn't seem to have developed any new post moves. But he should be good in PL play.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-10-21 08:50 PM - Post#327988    

Bison 137 I always appreciate your thoughtful and informed replies. Your description of the game is correct. A fast Bucknell start and then a complete blowout without the benefit of their best player.

I think relative to Screen you’re underestimating his contributions but most importantly his potential. This offense should be going through Screen. Period. He’s the best player on this roster with respect for Xander who looked the part of an ACC role player last night. That’s a compliment too.

Screen needs a touch every offensive possession. He’s a matchup problem for most programs not just PL programs. His moves are limited but his athleticism seems much greater this year with a sample size of 1 game.

This will be a very unpopular statement but Funk needs sat if he’s not going to be smarter with his shot selection. Sadly, I bet he has had a green light to shoot for three years. His percentage is terrible and he’s at his most effective driving not from behind the arc.

Timmerman is atrocious.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-10-21 08:54 PM - Post#327992    

I’m not sure why Funk gets a green light to shoot whenever he feels like it…he’s not a good shooter. Since his freshman season, he’s a 29% three point shooter and 39% overall. He doesn’t create for teammates in the slightest. Again, not sure why he is given carte blanche to do as he pleases.

Adoh was a pleasant surprise, Rice has improved. VDH has to rebound much better. Edmonds didn’t look bad. I thought Screen did very well, including making some decent moves. He needs to get far more than 7 shots a game, especially when Funk gets 15. Also, it would help Screen defensively if somebody could stop dribble penetration.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-11-21 10:35 AM - Post#328106    

Takeaways for me:
1. NCS had no answers for Screen. They could not stop him, and the PL certainly will not stop him. What will stop him is his propensity for foul trouble. As noted the drop off is palpable when he sits as he did for 12 minutes in the first half. Also remember that this was Screen’s first time competing against P5 competition, and I saw no sign that he was overmatched. If last years 12 game season was a year of competition, then he will have in effect another year of experience b4 the PL kicks in.

2. Adoh looks promising. Let’s hope that he developed as the non league progresses.

3. I thought Rice looks ready to take a step up.

4. Team was too quick to jack up 3s,. I know ND’s system calls for a quick shot if it is there, but we need to make sure it is a good shot. Too many heaves.$
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
11-11-21 06:58 PM - Post#328159    

I think we are taking for granted how talented and athletic NC State is. They are an ACC school. As a storied program, we expect to compete in these games; however, to expect our backup center to look as good as our A-10 recruited starting 7 footer is a wish that will never come true. Timmerman, and everyone for that matter, will look worlds different against Patriot League competition than the monsters of the ACC. We got out-atheleted in that game. When we play in our weight class, I think we'll look much stronger.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-12-21 02:47 PM - Post#328228    

• Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:
If Screen can stay on the floor I think we got a chance with NC States big man Bates hurt and not coming back.

Unfortunately NC State announced today that Bates' shoulder injury is season-ending. Big loss for them.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-12-21 08:08 PM - Post#328244    

I feel badly for the guy. Watching in real time it didn’t even appear anything happened.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-13-21 07:59 PM - Post#328376    

For comparison, NC State struggled to nip Colgate 77-74 in a game down to final seconds.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-13-21 08:05 PM - Post#328378    

• MrPhillie Said:
For comparison, NC State struggled to nip Colgate 77-74 in a game down to final seconds.

By the transitive property, that would make Colgate 15 points better than Bucknell - which sounds about right. NCS made two FT's with a tie score and two seconds left to win it. The foul call, on a blocked dunk attempt, was VERY questionable, even to the NCS announcers. NCS tacked on another fT with a fraction of a second left after another questionable (but irrelevant) call on a long inbound pass.

Over the last 15 minutes, there was only one possession where either team led by more than a basket.

Steve
Freshman
Posts 69
11-15-21 09:18 PM - Post#328597    

Yea, you don't call that with two seconds left in a tie game. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was completely egregious, but the referee has to swallow the whistle there.

Is what it is, Colgate played a great game after it looked like they could have been run out of the gym early. I was disappointed with the result but happy with how 'Gate played.

As for 21-22, Cummings is in Burns' role as the top scorer. Ferguson replaced Cummings as a complementary scorer and Lynch-Daniels is the new Ferguson, the top guard off the bench. Records-Woodward rotation is the same, Thomson spells Moffatt.

The problem is that Colgate is running a 7-and-a-half man rotation, with Thomson averaging 11 minutes so far as the 8th man. Lynch-Daniels is the only backup guard being utilized. If there's an injury in the backcourt, I am really not sure where Colgate is going to turn.

But my guess is we see CU at or near the top of the PL standings again.

The town is really into this team -- opener had over 1,000 people see them beat NU. When I went to school there, I am not sure we had 1,000 people combined show up to the 7 PL home games during the season.
Should be a fun year.

As much as I hated the Bison when I was in school (I had good reason, if you look at the history of the teams from 06-10), I root for them now because I like the camaraderie on this board. Hoping for a good season for Bucknell.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
11-16-21 03:06 PM - Post#328621    

• Steve Said:
I like the camaraderie on this board.

Interesting that you speak of it in the present tense.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-16-21 04:49 PM - Post#328625    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Steve Said:
I like the camaraderie on this board.

Interesting that you speak of it in the present tense.

Compared to where the HC, LC, and AU boards got to in recent years, this board is still well-behaved.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-16-21 07:48 PM - Post#328636    

There are times comments are a bit strong, but I don’t think it is anything crazy. What is crazy to me is to never expect a fan to say a negative word. Criticism is fair in sports with donors and paying customers. I’m still in my seat at Sojka, but my expectations are far lower than at any point in my time as a season ticket holder. It’s just reality. I hope for better days ahead.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-16-21 08:07 PM - Post#328639    

I truly appreciate being able to post on this board. It is a fun way to connect to my experiences being a teen who cheered on the Bison in Davis Gym. However if you are a fan of Bucknell sports and cry foul, you get marginalized. And I get that! Then make this an alumni board. Because alumni don’t want to hear this program is dead. But we all know it is. It’s done. Bucknell men’s basketball is in the shitter after being a perennial mid-major power. We all know it.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.662 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:11 PM