Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: 2024 Recruiting
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
06-15-22 02:31 PM - Post#342349    

We offered Ryan Williams, 6-3 PG, who attends Malvern Prep.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
06-15-22 09:20 PM - Post#342353    

Williams visited Penn last year.

Penn also offered Nick Coval.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
06-17-22 02:46 PM - Post#342411    

I watched their video on Youtube. Williams didn't look at all ready for the NCAAs. His competition did not look tall or elite. If that is in any way discouraging, you should realize that I was watching his 8th grade video.

Nick Coval had recent video and was very very impressive. He appears to be a pretty complete PG. Sign him up!

jmverlin
Junior
Posts 218
06-30-22 12:07 PM - Post#342860    

I can chime in to say that both of these kids would be quality gets for Penn. Neither are out of the realm of possibility, for sure. Coval's dad is Scott Coval, longtime coach at DeSales. Williams has a ton of upside and can really shoot it. Neither are "studs" to the point where they're going to immediately get recruited by dozens of high-majors, but both can play.
GoQuakersGo
Sophomore
Posts 120
07-06-22 06:48 AM - Post#342973    

Mike "Deuce" Jones tells Josh Verlin that he has been contacted by Penn:
https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/...
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
07-06-22 08:59 AM - Post#342975    

So have I---got a call about the end of the fiscal year just the other day.
jmverlin
Junior
Posts 218
07-06-22 02:50 PM - Post#342981    

To be fair, he told that to Joseph Santoliquito, one of my writers.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
07-28-22 11:05 AM - Post#343600    

No mention for us in the recruiting roundup for Caleb Williams:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/07/28/fast-risin g-20...
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
07-28-22 12:59 PM - Post#343610    

OK, I looked at the videos on Caleb. He looks like someone we could use and I'm willing to give him an official offer.

If his parents are still checking the boards, I am wishing success to all of the Williams kids.
20Penn14
Senior
Posts 364
12-02-22 06:58 AM - Post#347372    

6'4 guard from Nevada

Ryder Elisaldez
@ElisaldezRyder
Thankful to receive an offer from the University of Pennsylvania! Thank you Coach Graham and the rest of the coaching staff.

https://twitter.com/ElisaldezRyder/status /15984191...
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
12-02-22 04:55 PM - Post#347380    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6QlqB7n4II

besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
05-06-23 12:29 PM - Post#356174    

Scott Burgess
Yorkville 2024 C Jason Jakstys @JakstysJason lands #Penn offer! @BreakawayBball

Taj DeGourville
Blessed to receive an offer from The University of Pennsylvania thank you Coach Donahue and the rest of the staff for believing in me

Chicagoland Prep Hoop
DG North 2024 PG Jack Stanton @J_Stanton21 has been offered by Penn, Buckenell, & Holy Cross @DGNHoops @BreakawayBball

Evan Wheaton
Perkiomen National All-Area forward Macon Emory picks up an offer from UPenn.

Emory also holds offers from Delaware, Bucknell and UAlbany.

besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
06-14-23 03:48 PM - Post#356794    

Penn did not make the Top 7 for Jelani Williams’ brother Caleb (Georgetown, Indiana, Miami, Michigan, Syracuse, Villanova, and Virginia).

Phenom_Exposure
2024 Julen Iturbe received an offer from Penn #PhenomHoops

Iturbe has some Patriot League offers.

Middlesex Magic
Congratulations to Magic and Milton 6’2 2024 guard CJ Cox on receiving an offer from Penn

Cox has offers from Brown and Dartmouth.

Midwest Basketball Club
Congrats to Sharron Young on receiving an offer to @PennMBB. Proud of ya kid! #3SSB

Young is from Morgantown and has a WVU offer.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
06-14-23 04:10 PM - Post#356795    

This point has been discussed endlessly in every other form and fashion, but it really is remarkable the degree to which Penn is now recruiting against Dartmouth, Brown and Columbia rather than Harvard and Yale.

We probably won’t be able to get a sense of whether that’s good or not unless we give it another 7 years, but I’ll predict it’s yet another harbinger of the program’s continuing decline.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
06-14-23 04:21 PM - Post#356796    

As long as the admission rate is 5% and Penn Medicine and Wharton are bringing in revenue that has the University swimming in money, I don't believe the administration has any problem with a basketball team that isn't a power.

We (i.e. the Penn basketball fans of an era when it mattered) are the dead.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
06-14-23 07:54 PM - Post#356800    

Well, if we’re going head to head with them, we had better be winning those battles. For a while, Penn and Princeton seemed to be kind of out there doing something different from the rest of the league in terms of recruiting, so there wasn’t that much overlap.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
06-14-23 09:07 PM - Post#356801    

Princeton is definitely doing something different. I do not think it’s fair to say that Penn is or was.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
06-15-23 07:07 AM - Post#356802    

I just mean that we tend to be involved with different kids than everyone else. That’s been true for most of Donahue’s tenure.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
06-15-23 07:31 AM - Post#356803    

I understand what you’re saying. I don’t agree.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
06-15-23 09:52 AM - Post#356805    

The footprints that the staff leaves that are accessible by most of us are so limited that it is difficult to get a grasp of what they are actually doing in terms of recruiting efforts. Alternatively, it allows speculation that they aren’t doing nearly enough.
final479
Freshman
Posts 49
06-15-23 10:26 AM - Post#356806    

Well said. The concern is that fishing in the same ponds as the other mid-tier Ivies does not bode well for Penn's ability to compete at the highest level of the league, and outside of the league.
Unfortunately, it seems that's where the program is right now. I have no idea whether another coaching staff could do any better.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
06-15-23 10:40 AM - Post#356807    

Unless we decided to hire a big name, big money coach like Amaker, I don't think anything will change. The AI prevents Penn from competing for different players than HYP. While I love Penn, the brands of HYP are stronger for an undergraduate degree and the money available for tuition assistance and NILs is greater as well. You would need someone like a Pitino to change that. It isn't going to happen, nor does the Penn administration really care that it won't. We had the lightning in the bottle with Dingle, but blew it. I expect Steve to continue making the playoff, but barely and without a championship.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
06-15-23 02:03 PM - Post#356810    

Well, in the last few classes, we have very few recruits that were looking at other Ivies. Larson and Smith were kind of in the basic Ivy pool (though I think only Larson had significant other Ivy interest). But that’s about it. We’ve lost some head to heads with HYP, and we lost a couple to Columbia in last years freshman class. But we haven’t really been on the basic New England scene (outside of NMH) to the point of offering a whole lot. We’ve been fishing elsewhere, particularly out west.

Is that what you mean that you disagree with? Because while you say you understand my argument and disagree, I find that I don’t understand your’s.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
06-15-23 02:07 PM - Post#356811    

Maybe a coincidence but I saw on Twitter today that we contacted a bunch of ‘25 prospects very recently.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
06-15-23 02:17 PM - Post#356812    

you guys are trying to argue and get lost in the weeds. The guy who cooks the meals also buys the groceries. I don't give a crap whether the groceries are rancid or he burns the food, the end product isn't enough.
Penn90
Masters Student
Posts 575
Penn90
06-15-23 05:17 PM - Post#356816    

Chef Steve is neither a great cook nor a great shopper!
Leges sine moribus vanae

Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
06-15-23 07:23 PM - Post#356818    

Recruiting is very hard to judge, as we are typically judging talent that is three star and below - and sometimes we find no-star recruits that become better than the three star ones. Still, in the Dunphy days we could typically see that we had one of the top recruiting classes in the league year after year. In the Miller years, we had many recruits we were excited about, but they didn't perform - whether due to injuries and leaving the team. In the Allen years, we had a few good ones, but just an overall lack of a cohesive program.

I don't know if Steve is a great chef, but least he keeps an organized kitchen. The last two coaches couldn't even do that. Still, he needs to be a better. A top chef is OCD in every aspect of their trade - no matter how small. The Keller types are the ones that make championships. Donahue seems a bit too normal and rational to be delusionally exceptional.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
06-15-23 07:30 PM - Post#356819    

Hi Palestra
I agree with much of what you say. I am a Princeton grad and I attended many receptions for Princeton acceptees in the spring. More than once, I met a student who told me that they were interested in business and had been accepted by Penn as well.

Now Princeton has no business school and Penn has one of the top 5 business schools in the US. So why go to Princeton? Yet they still decided to attend Princeton which makes no sense to me. It was still a matter of reputation. Penn runs into the same problem with basketball recruiting and I don't know if there is an easy answer.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
06-15-23 07:55 PM - Post#356820    

Now I am lost in analogies.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
06-16-23 03:39 PM - Post#356827    

The chef analogy was overcooked?
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2143
06-16-23 07:01 PM - Post#356831    

Underseasoned. Needs more spices.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
07-07-23 11:10 AM - Post#357128    

Caleb Williams committed to Georgetown in late June. Best of luck!
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
07-08-23 02:39 PM - Post#357140    

I love this. Sidwell Friends to Georgetown makes a lot of sense.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
07-08-23 06:24 PM - Post#357142    

More great news while we’re celebrating Penn not landing its targets! Taj Degourville also committed elsewhere!
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
07-09-23 09:33 PM - Post#357166    

I guess I never really thought Caleb Williams was coming to Penn. The clue was when one of his parents pretty much told us that at the end of the prior season.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
07-10-23 06:18 PM - Post#357195    

In my defense, I’ve tried to pretty consistently explain that none of the best players Penn’s recruiting are coming here, but I still get frustrated when it happens.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
07-12-23 02:42 PM - Post#357221    

Offered Dominic Pangonas 6'6" G from Ontario. Offers from Bradley, Holy Cross, Old Dominion, Wyoming. Visited Princeton, Drexel, and Brown. Lots of other interest.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
07-16-23 05:35 PM - Post#357280    

Former NMH guard Luka Toews, whom Penn offered two years ago, commits to BC.
CM
Masters Student
Posts 436
07-17-23 12:53 PM - Post#357287    

Sad to see NMH-Penn pipeline end, was prolific over the years.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
08-16-23 11:26 AM - Post#357615    

Anyone else wondering why Penn didn't make the top 3 of local standout Ryan Williams from Malvern prep?

Instead Columbia is the Ivy rep in his top 3, along with Iona and Fairfield. Looks like he was leading scored of the Inter-Ac as a soph, is on the very good AAU squad Philly Pride, and Paul Romanczuk is literally now his coach.

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/...

I'm not saying he is the next Jordan Dingle, but shouldn't a local Philly kid like this be an absolute no brainer all things considered?
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
08-16-23 11:42 AM - Post#357616    

I thought I had lost the capacity to be shocked!

Penn first offered him last June. They had him in for an official in November 2022 and they had him in for a visit in 2021 too.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
08-16-23 02:39 PM - Post#357617    

As the self-anointed scout of the HS YouTube videos, I would say the jury is out on this one. His videos showed sound fundamentals, but there wasn't much in terms of his playmaking and ball control. His shot looked good but not great. His footwork looked OK, but not polished. I would call him athletic but not explosive or strong. He looks so young in his videos. In sum, he has high potential, but he needs development. He wouldn't be an impact Freshman in the league.

He does look like he still has a lot of growth ahead of him, so he could turn out to be a really good Ivy player. If he has great stuff between his ears and develops his speed and strength, he has good tools to work with.

In general, I would give him benefit of the doubt if he is an Inter-AC star and if we have already offered. His other offers look good but not overwhelming. It's too early for me to call this a miss by our staff.

My rec-level basketball acumen might have missed something.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
08-16-23 02:43 PM - Post#357618    

How does he compare to Brown?
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
08-16-23 08:43 PM - Post#357620    

• palestra38 Said:
How does he compare to Brown?

I assume you are asking me, even though I have no qualifications and direct knowledge of these players other than my diligent YouTube video ratings. Well then, I'll drop my real-world work right now to try to answer!

Apparently both Lower Merion and Malvern Prep were upper tier teams in their conferences. I would guess that the Central League is the tougher conference, as it includes larger public schools. Lower Merion is probably most famous for Kobe Bryant. I think an upper tier Central League / PIAA 6A team usually is better than an upper tier Interac team. The difficulty is that the Interac sometimes has some very spiky good teams. Even though the schools are generally smaller, they can recruit when they want to win. The Interac has had very strong teams in certain cycles. Other years, the average league team can be fairly unimpressive. I also saw some video that suggests Malvern Prep actually beat Lower Merion in some sort of outdoor tournament.

Brown was one of the top contributors to a very good PIAA 6A team. He shoots well and is both a scorer and facilitator. I love his video. I see a mix of Andy Toole in his ability to flow downstream and Jeff Schiffner in the ways he can shoot and make the three (40%). He seems to be a high IQ player who has set moves to create his offense. He needs to be able to defend and make good decisions at the next level. He seems like a taller and stronger Clark Slajchert.

Williams was the top scorer in the Interac, I think even as a sophomore. That is quite an accomplishment. I haven't seen stats on efficiency, but I assume he has to be a good three point shooter given he has mentioned shooting as his particular strength. In his video, I see a smooth shooter with a reasonably fast release. He seemed more slippery than shifty in his ability to create offense. He looks like he is still growing and could get quite a bit taller and stronger. I see Jonah Charles in him.

I would rate Brown as more ready contribute based on current skill sets, but that is mainly because Williams' doesn't seem to have enough video that shows the breadth of his skills. I can define Brown's skills and role better. The Penndemonium HS video rankings rates Brown higher than the other recruiting websites. Meanwhile, Williams is hard to gauge. Clearly he can play, and someone scoring at his level in the Interac should have a strong role in the Ivies. I'm not exactly sure if he will be a 1, 2, or 3 in college. The video I watched made me think he may need to get stronger first, and grow into a college 3. It's harder to project tweeners in the Ivy League, as their contributions depend more on the players' complementary team members and styles.

In sum, I would take Brown over Williams, but my margin of prediction error is high.

How was that?

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
08-17-23 07:46 AM - Post#357622    

A remarkable work of prose. Thanks for spending the time---at a minimum, it made me look forward to this year a little more when you're comparing one of our incoming freshmen to Schiffner and Toole.

I miss those guys...sniff, sniff.
pennsive
Junior
Posts 200
08-17-23 08:55 AM - Post#357628    

Brown is not the only one we recruited last year with excellent size, outstanding high school credentials, and videos to back up their paper credentials. While we have no idea if they play defense as well as as their videos suggest that they can shoot and move on offense, there is ample room for optimism and enthusiasm for the high quality depth we will have at all five positions. Absent a recent run in the tournament, this may make it hard to recruit players in 2024 who are not confident they will crack the rotation in one or two years and who don’t want to wait around for their turn on what they have no evidence will turn out to be a championship team eventually. Similarly, competition for those who feel they could be starters right away will be fierce, and we all know our track record as to recruiting those prospects except in very rare cases. My takeaway is that we will have a much stronger team this year than the rest of this board thinks, possibly a champion if things break right and we draw a beatable team in the Ivy Tourney but a bottom rung recruiting class in 2024.
nychoops
Junior
Posts 244
08-17-23 09:30 AM - Post#357630    

Respectfully i don't think their is a recruit in the country who
Penn is recruiting ,looks at the roster and decides elsewhere out of fear of depth or talent. Not a single one. I will say however I've heard some nice things recently about some of the incoming kids and expect a few to be immediate contributors.

pennsive
Junior
Posts 200
08-17-23 09:59 AM - Post#357633    

I don’t doubt that may be true with higher level recruits, but Ryan Williams and many others in the past, whether basketball players football quarterbacks, repeatedly have been quoted as saying that they are looking for a team that is developing And where they can play immediately or at least quickly. Looking at all the potential point guards and guards who are underclass men and who play the 2 position that we have in the fold and their superior high school résumés to Ryan Williams high school career (so far, anyway), why would he think he could play meaningful minutes at Penn in the next two years?
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
08-17-23 10:20 AM - Post#357635    

Hoops- I agree with you 100%.

I think Penn’s challenge this year will be replacing Jordan’s points and in particular the role they played in fueling runs that are part and parcel of the modern game.

I have tracked what Tyler Perkins has been doing this summer down in DC in a summer league stacked with D1 players and some professionals. I’m thinking he is the likely candidate to see the floor immediately. But - who knows?

In terms of the next recruiting class, it’s very difficult to have an opinion at this point in time as it doesn’t exist. This is frustrating for us, as is Penn’s lack of a dynamic presence on social media. I’ve expressed my opinion before about what I think the role of an online personality in the recruiting role should be. But - it’s just my opinion.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
08-17-23 11:56 AM - Post#357640    

Yeah, I should say that I really like a backcourt with Perkins and Brown for years to come. For the first time in a long time, we would have penetration, ball handling, playmaking, and shooting in both positions of the backcourt. Perkins can probably tighten his shot a bit. He seems to have a great midrange game, which he may want to extend in a Donahue offense.

Perkins is one of the few players that reminds me a bit of Jelani Williams. Jelani was a bit taller, faster, and more explosive - too bad we never got to see that version of himself. Perkins will be one of our rare Freshman to arrive NCAA ready physically. He looks strong, aggressive, and fast. I'm guessing he needs to improve as a facilitator and shooter. His tape doesn't show his defense, but he looks like he should be good on that front.

AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
08-17-23 01:35 PM - Post#357643    

How a high school career translates to college success can be difficult to predict at a mid major level.

Tyler Perkins was a three level scorer in high school with pretty high level of success both beyond the arc and in the mid range game. Penn often recruits guys who have been successful beyond the arc. Brown and Polonowski also fit in that category. Not all of these high schoolers enjoy a similar level of success shooting the ball in college. It’s a faster, more physical game.

I suspect Tyler Perkins is a better shooter from 3 than the Jordan Dingle we knew as a freshmen but the proof will be in the pudding.

Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
08-19-23 01:51 AM - Post#357658    

Yes, I didn't see enough three point shots in Tyler's video to have a feel around his stroke and consistency. What I liked about him is that he seemed able to penetrate in the half court. Brown showed some ability on that front too. I like the balance that Perkins and Brown could bring together to the backcourt.

Williams may have all of those abilities, but I saw a lot more transition scoring on his video - so I had questions. That said, it sounds like he's a good shooter and shooting is always a premium.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
09-01-23 02:37 PM - Post#357803    

Jack Stanton, whom Penn offered in May, just committed to Princeton. However, it doesn’t appear any other key contributors left the team today, so it’s something of a wash, I’m sure.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
09-03-23 10:35 AM - Post#357821    

Ouch
slane
Freshman
Posts 72
09-27-23 10:13 PM - Post#358128    

Does anybody think this helps recruiting?
https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/video/ph ilade...
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
09-28-23 09:52 AM - Post#358132    

Ryan Williams committed to Northeastern.

And if you think kids are making their college decisions based on perceptions of Philadelphia crime, you need to talk to more kids. Least of our issues.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
09-28-23 10:43 AM - Post#358134    

The flash mob violence is being played up big time on MAGA media. Fact is that violent crime is higher almost uniformly in Red States. And that's all I'll have to say about it here. But no, it has no effect on admissions at Penn at any level. People want to come here and it's overwhelmingly safe--in fact, it's much safer and there is far less street crime than when we attended in the Rizzo era. But everything has to be tribal these days.
Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4508
Cvonvorys
09-28-23 05:14 PM - Post#358145    

• palestra38 Said:
The flash mob violence is being played up big time on MAGA media. Fact is that violent crime is higher almost uniformly in Red States. And that's all I'll have to say about it here. But no, it has no effect on admissions at Penn at any level. People want to come here and it's overwhelmingly safe--in fact, it's much safer and there is far less street crime than when we attended in the Rizzo era. But everything has to be tribal these days.

Dude... I politely ask that you take your elitist point of view to the OTB. The fact that you excuse what's happening in center city Philly speaks volumes about how out of touch you are.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
09-29-23 03:58 PM - Post#358152    

You obviously know nothing about what happened other than the propaganda you read and absorb. It's really unfortunate that a Penn grad is so ignorant.

I'm there every day. It's safe--no one got hurt. Trying to hurl racist memes because a bunch of criminals used yet another senseless police execution of a person driving while black to commit crimes is just the MAGA thing to do. I won't stand for it, no matter which board you or Stan post in.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
09-29-23 04:39 PM - Post#358156    

Apologies,but I am going to attempt to drag this thread back to actual recruiting. Alex Massung of Hudson Catholic, a 6-3 guard, is visiting this weekend. Offers from Manhattan, Buffalo, Albany.
Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4508
Cvonvorys
10-02-23 12:30 AM - Post#358191    

• palestra38 Said:
You obviously know nothing about what happened other than the propaganda you read and absorb. It's really unfortunate that a Penn grad is so ignorant.

I'm there every day. It's safe--no one got hurt. Trying to hurl racist memes because a bunch of criminals used yet another senseless police execution of a person driving while black to commit crimes is just the MAGA thing to do. I won't stand for it, no matter which board you or Stan post in.

Apologies... I politely asked Jon to take his non-Penn Basketball opinions to the Off-Topic Board where they belong. But Jon cannot help himself, and insists on making personal attacks.

So... This from Channel 6... Certainly no MAGA Right Wing news outlet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OSyIICTCc

If you watch, you will hear the reporter say that the looting is not tied to the earlier court decision, as Jon falsely claims.

It's sad that Jon not just excuses the looting that's been going in in Philly, but tries to blame MAGA. Very sad.

And again... Apologies for posting on what should be Penn Basketball related. I just don't like being called ignorant. And I enjoy pointing out when Jon is wrong. If anyone is interested in seeing how often I prove Jon is wrong, I invite you to go to the Off Topic Board. It is often quite entertaining: I cite evidence that refutes Jon, and he responds by calling me a racist and a Nazi.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
10-02-23 03:02 AM - Post#358192    

Gents, the political parties and media are dividing us and making us forget what unites us - the desire to live peacefully, have fulfilling lives with our families, build prosperity, and have the Quakers win an NCAA championship.

No political party or ideology is adequately addressing the problems with our team and the drought in the NCAAs. We need a Free The Quakers ticket in this next election.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
10-02-23 08:50 AM - Post#358193    

You are the most ignorant person with whom I have ever had the misfortune to personally have dealings who claims to have been a Penn student. I'm happy not to discuss these issues here, but I did not raise them, Stan did. My reply was to Stan and the fact that you repeatedly have the need to mis-state that I initiated the conversation indicates that you did not bother to read his post but just my reply. No one asked for your opinion, nor do you have the capacity to understand that MAGA nuts like you who parrot propaganda such as the Demorat Cities run by thugs are causing "good people" to leave, have no idea at all how Gen Z students think. They are smart enough to know that crime is not the major issue in our society, but racist and sexist reactionaries trying to drag us back to the 1950s are. But really, who cares what you think?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
10-02-23 08:53 AM - Post#358194    

True. It's sad that Penn has been the Ivy most adversely affected by the new NIL and transfer policies. This can be overcome by strong recruiting but we don't appear to be getting that. At this point, we're in a struggle for that last spot in the playoff after Yale, Princeton and Brown. And I doubt we will get it.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8309
Streamers
10-02-23 09:36 AM - Post#358197    

• Cvonvorys Said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OSyIICTCc

If you watch, you will hear the reporter say that the looting is not tied to the earlier court decision, as Jon falsely claims.

I have a lot to say on this topic, most of which is not appropriate here, but you misunderstood what the reporter said about the connection to the court decision. Does anyone think it was a coincidence that the latest round of looting was touched off by this?

That said, this has become a chronic problem in many cities, along with some other quality of life issues that we hope the new Mayor will address because it could lead to an exodus of young talent from much as we saw in the 80’s. That includes basketball players.
slane
Freshman
Posts 72
10-02-23 12:15 PM - Post#358202    

“That said, this has become a chronic problem in many cities, along with some other quality of life issues that we hope the new Mayor will address because it could lead to an exodus of young talent from much as we saw in the 80’s. That includes basketball players.”

That was the only point of my initial post. When this thread started, one of the questions asked was about the nature of what recruiting advantages Princeton had over us. As the last post recognizes, this is one of them (and one for which Coach Donahue cannot be blamed).
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
10-02-23 01:36 PM - Post#358204    

I won't further debate the political issues. I contest any notion that our recruiting has suffered as a result of being in a city. After all Yale is in a city with much higher crime rates and Harvard and Columbia are in cities as well. And our recruiting has been weaker than H & Y for years (and may be weaker than Columbia now). This incident has nothing to do with recruiting. Period.
CM
Masters Student
Posts 436
10-03-23 06:00 AM - Post#358219    

What good is better recruiting if the players want to leave the team after three years? These guys do not like playing for the current coaches, not sure how much more obvious that could be.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
10-03-23 06:32 AM - Post#358220    

There is no question that some recruits don’t want to play in the city and Penn loses out on those prospects. In most cases it’s not Penn specific and HYC all have the same issue. They may overcome that issue better than Penn but that’s a separate discussion.

Penn should be one of the elite places to play in the IL for recruits and it’s not.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8309
Streamers
10-03-23 08:18 AM - Post#358221    

• CM Said:
What good is better recruiting if the players want to leave the team after three years? These guys do not like playing for the current coaches, not sure how much more obvious that could be.

You may be right, but if you are basing this on Dingle and Martz alone, there are many other explanations and potential explanations for that. It does seem “obvious.”
nychoops
Junior
Posts 244
10-03-23 09:40 AM - Post#358223    

In my experience a majority of kids perfer playing at a school in a city. Penns recent failure in recruiting is, or shoujd be easily identifiable
mbaprof
Senior
Posts 346
10-03-23 01:07 PM - Post#358224    

I heard Martz was legit medical retirement, too many accumulated issues

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
10-03-23 01:38 PM - Post#358225    

• nychoops Said:
In my experience a majority of kids perfer playing at a school in a city. Penns recent failure in recruiting is, or shoujd be easily identifiable

In my experience a majority of kids who are from a city like to play at a school in a city. Some kids from suburbs like the city but many do not.

Streamers
Professor
Posts 8309
Streamers
10-03-23 09:05 PM - Post#358236    

• Streamers Said:

You may be right, but if you are basing this on Dingle and Martz alone, there are many other explanations and potential explanations for that. It does seem “obvious.”

I meant it does NOT seem “obvious”. Sorry
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
10-04-23 02:39 PM - Post#358248    

• Streamers Said:
  • Streamers Said:

I meant it does NOT seem “obvious”. Sorry

I can’t say that kids don’t like playing for this staff, I have no idea, but kids do like playing on winning teams and there hasn't been enough winning for a while.

Beyond that, what is obvious is that the recruiting is beyond subpar. Doesn’t matter even if players love playing for a program if there isn’t enough depth of winning talent for a championship team (and there isn’t). Just scroll up to see how we are doing with 2024 kids and that should tell you all you need to know.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
10-04-23 04:33 PM - Post#358252    

Some of the inferences made on this board relative to Jordan Dingle and Max Martz are not supported by the PUBLIC record. Whether they are factual is something I wouldn’t know. What I do know is that a program that doesn’t have much of a public presence lends itself to these type of inferences.

I’ve written before about the lack of a social media presence/ footprint by our coaches. I think it’s consistent with NYCHOOPS comment about our inability to connect with many prospects in the recruiting process. It may not be the only thing that’s lacking, but it seems like one that can easily be addressed. There is little energy, little pizazz, no personality. Young people are constantly on their phones checking Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat. It just seems like an obvious no brainer. Other Penn teams are doing this. Why doesn’t men’s basketball?
SteveChop
PhD Student
Posts 1156
10-04-23 09:19 PM - Post#358257    

I make no comment on Max because I have NO FACTS, something that does not stop some of the people on this board from drawing their own conclusions and offering them as fact.

As to Jordan, we hear HIM say on the St Johns preview that he wants to play closer to home, for a Hall of Fame coach and a winning program. We also know that every scholarship player on St Johns is getting at least $75,000 in NIL money - given the focus on him in the video, I think it is safe to assume that Jordan is getting quite a bit more. If that is the case, it's hard to blame him - in fact, personally, I support the decision he made to do what he thinks is best for HIM and his goal of having a pro career.

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
10-05-23 07:49 AM - Post#358273    

I don’t want to jinx us again (like Steve did in that offseason interview where he said nobody ever transfers from Penn basketball), but our transfer rate is still comparatively low, I think. Obviously it’s not zero anymore after Dingle and Larson left. But transfers are just the reality of college basketball now.

So I’m not sure there is much evidence kids don’t like to play here. In addition to the low transfer rate, we don’t have many kids quit. As we’ve discussed before, lots of kids have stuck it out despite losing playing time, etc.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
10-05-23 08:00 AM - Post#358274    

I think Jordan had every intention of letting the NBA draft establish his value and unless he were to be a first round pick, return to Penn until Pitino got the St John's job and made him an offer he could not refuse. The landscape changed dramatically after he sat out a year from Penn during the pandemic in order to maintain his Penn eligibility. Still, the tremendous disappointment of last season had to have been some factor in his decision making process. And if we're entering a landscape where Division 1 basketball is professional, we not only have to decide whether we will compete at this level, but whether the coaching staff lives up to the standards of professional basketball with respect to winning and losing. Last season, looking at the coaching from a pro basketball perspective, the coaching staff would be let go. The team underperformed and in crucial situations, lost almost every time. The happened despite having the best player in the League, a quality young center and power forward, and a group of shooting guards the totality of which never gelled (or is it jelled---see https://medium.com/@talkwordy/jell-vs-ge l-go-9bbfd... ). I know most of us here speak primarily of the recruiting, but none of us really knows what we have until 2-3 years later. We can look at last year's performance and know that we missed our best opportunity for a title in a long time and now have to rebuild. Should we rebuild with a staff that was unable to win with a top of the cycle team and the best player in the league?
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
10-05-23 04:22 PM - Post#358280    

• SomeGuy Said:
I don’t want to jinx us again (like Steve did in that offseason interview where he said nobody ever transfers from Penn basketball), but our transfer rate is still comparatively low, I think. Obviously it’s not zero anymore after Dingle and Larson left. But transfers are just the reality of college basketball now.

So I’m not sure there is much evidence kids don’t like to play here. In addition to the low transfer rate, we don’t have many kids quit. As we’ve discussed before, lots of kids have stuck it out despite losing playing time, etc.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear on my view. I honestly have no idea if kids like playing for the current program or not. I personally don’t expect a sudden rush of transfers either. I was more generally referring to how I think kids want to win. I do think that was a clear factor from Jordan’s own words, though certainly just one factor.

My point was actually more pivoting back to the original focus of the thread which is recruiting and how frankly it still isn’t going as well as it needs to elevate the program.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
10-05-23 04:26 PM - Post#358281    

You’re right, recruiting is definitely just one element. Hard to argue any of your points here and agree.
pennsive
Junior
Posts 200
10-05-23 05:12 PM - Post#358282    

I don't agree with the thought that but for coaching we had the best players and the best team. Princeton was better at 4 of the 5 positions, including way better at center and their sixth man power forward who killed us and looked good in the NCAA tournament. They were a Sweet Sixteen team for goodness sake. They would have finished second in the Big Five and would have had a much better chance of beating teams, or giving a game to teams that crushed us. Credit to them where credit is due. I do agree with you and everyone else on this board who has sounded off about our recruiting. Given what should be our built-in recruiting advantages, and the success some of the other sports team at Penn have had recruiting against the other Ivies, with and without built-in advantages, there is no satisfactory excuse for it. I never cease to be disappointed by Steve's inability to command the microphone, showcase himself in a way that someone would stand up and say there is a coach I would love to come to play for, and to make positive impact (in fact, more likely to make no impact whatsoever) when he is called upon to speak. That said, I am impressed from afar by his work ethic, and despite his obvious shortcomings, to have recruited what appears to be a very solid core of newcomers to the program. Go Quakers, and please prove everyone wrong.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
10-06-23 03:30 AM - Post#358284    

I agree with Pennsive in all respects except I would be careful around the concept of built-in recruiting advantages. I'm not saying it doesn't exist - just that we've had 3 consecutive coaches unable to build off of it. I think being a college head coach is very hard, and not many are equipped to do it at an elite level. The Ivies will always have built-in disadvantages at the national level, so will always be looking for overlooked or developing gems. Those aren't easy to find. When we were perennial winners under Dunphy, there were many on this board that wanted him gone so that we could be stronger national competitors. The Ivy basketball game has only gotten tougher with recruiting, league competition, conference disadvantages, inequity in financial aid (however small), NIL, and more. I think our current university administration may also be a built-in disadvantage.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
10-06-23 09:46 AM - Post#358286    

I don't deny Princeton made a great run, but you are misquoting me. I did not say we had the best playerS and the best team. I said the following:

The team underperformed and in crucial situations, lost almost every time. The happened despite having the best player in the League, a quality young center and power forward, and a group of shooting guards the totality of which never gelled

I agree that Princeton was the better team. However, we had the best player and we had much better talent outside of Dingle than the performance of the team indicated. More importantly, WE HAD A 17 POINT LEAD AT PRINCETON WITH THE TITLE ON THE LINE AND BLEW IT. I cannot get over that. And I was standing by the baseline when Penn came out for the 2nd half and Steve looked all hot and bothered and was not at all confident looking. We came out looking to choke it appeared and we did. We then lost in the playoff game by hitting only 1 shot after we were up 1 with the ball with 3 minutes to go. We had our destiny in our hands (and I'm not even including the horrible loss at Dartmouth) and somehow blew it. At some point, the coaching staff has to be held accountable for bad losses, and the great Princeton run in the NCAA's has nothing to do with that. We were good enough to win the title
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
10-07-23 12:00 AM - Post#358312    

Mike — you were plenty clear. I wasn’t intending to contradict or argue with you. Just kind of building off what you were saying.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
10-07-23 02:19 PM - Post#358314    

• SomeGuy Said:
Mike — you were plenty clear. I wasn’t intending to contradict or argue with you. Just kind of building off what you were saying.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t trying to argue with you either. I just didn’t want anyone to misinterpret my comments because I agree with you that I don’t see much evidence of kids not liking playing for the program from the outside looking in on it. I don’t see as the problem.
GoQuakersGo
Sophomore
Posts 120
10-16-23 03:55 PM - Post#358459    

Macon Emory committed to Delaware over the weekend:
https://twitter.com/EmoryMacon/status/171 370811237...

Per Twitter/Verbal commits, Penn had offered and he planned an official visit to campus (no confirmation if he actually went through with the visit)
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
11-06-23 03:57 PM - Post#358781    

Alex Massung has just committed to Penn. He’s an athletic 6’4 guard with a number of mid major offers.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
11-06-23 04:03 PM - Post#358782    

Alex Massung

Actually 6’3 with offers from Buffalo, Manhattan and Albany that I saw last month.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8309
Streamers
11-06-23 04:26 PM - Post#358785    

good news... it seems the kid can score but 6 assists his entire junior season? I'd say he's a 2.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
11-06-23 05:04 PM - Post#358788    

Don’t know if you’re just being facetious, but the game logs you are drawing this conclusion from are not complete data sets.

Reminds me a bit of Ibby Jaaber with maybe a better handle at his age. Of course, he should only be as good as Ibby was when he puts on a Penn uniform.
OldBig5
Masters Student
Posts 639
11-06-23 07:43 PM - Post#358805    

He can't be any good as this coaching staff has no idea what it is doing, right?

Streamers
Professor
Posts 8309
Streamers
11-06-23 10:09 PM - Post#358824    

I couldn’t resist.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
11-07-23 03:12 AM - Post#358841    

His 5th grade videos were very impressive. I'm not kidding. I didn't see high school highlight reels for him on YouTube, but saw full games from his junior year and a few clips of dunks and steals from recruiting sites. To be honest, I didn't see enough from him to have a clear view. He didn't seem to be the key player on his team - two other guys seemed to dominate the ball. The competition seemed quite good. He showed composure but the games on YouTube didn't seem to really showcase him as a player. He can shoot from the outside and penetrate. He didn't seem to be a fantastic finisher on the drives. He looks like he got a lot bigger, stronger, and faster late - he started dunking with authority in his more recent videos. I don't see him shaking up the roster unless he improves in his movement off the ball, his possession skills, his finishing, and his ability to run an offense. He's a good athlete and has skills. He looked like he has good potential, but he wasn't dominating his HS competition as far as I could see.

AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
11-07-23 09:35 AM - Post#358851    

Alex was clearly a lead player on Hudson Catholic his junior year along with a soph (St John’s offer). Neither were supposed to be the lead guards on what was a loaded Hudson Catholic team heading into the season. Their two lead guards (Auburn commit, UVA commit) had season ending injuries right before the season started last year.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
11-07-23 05:31 PM - Post#358880    

I didn't have a ton of YouTube data points!
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
11-07-23 06:30 PM - Post#358885    

• AsiaSunset Said:
Alex Massung has just committed to Penn. He’s an athletic 6’4 guard with a number of mid major offers.

Like to see another local commit and another athletic 1/2 combo guard. Hard to find much about him online but those mid major offers you mentioned look solid. Tapping into local talent seems critical.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
11-16-23 01:14 PM - Post#359303    

AJ Levine, an Illinois-based guard, had an official and got an offer the day after the win over Nova.
SteveChop
PhD Student
Posts 1156
11-16-23 03:42 PM - Post#359309    

The last player we had named AJ worked out pretty well.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
11-16-23 05:10 PM - Post#359311    

The Penn Hillel rabbi in my days was Rabbi Levine.

He got canned, although personally I got along with him great.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
01-30-24 04:01 PM - Post#362408    

Penn just offered Fischer Brown, 6'5" SG from Montana, who moved for his senior season to Utah and Wasatch Academy, one of the top basketball prep schools around. They play a very big time schedule.

https://twitter.com/FischerBrown24/status /17517173...

Credit for this and several of the other recruits in the freshman and incoming class should go to Kris Saulny who seems to be out there making a difference for Penn.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
01-30-24 07:32 PM - Post#362421    

After watching his video (probably sophomore or junior year?), he reminds me a bit of Jerry Simon. Very wiry, a slightly funny looking shot, but with some ability to knock it down. His ball handling didn't look as good as Simon. He at least should be able to hit his free throws, as he was involved in FT shooting contests as a kid.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
01-30-24 11:01 PM - Post#362430    

Another big night for AJ Levine. York Dukes are now 21-4.

https://twitter.com/YorkDukesBB/status/17 525210017...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-18-24 02:10 PM - Post#363460    

Dukes ended the regular season at 23-7, but Levine has been fantastic throughout. In some games, he has scored around 50% of the total team points or more.;

Class 4A playoffs begin for York on Wednesday night. They are seeded 2nd in their section. Win it, and they are in the Sweet Sixteen.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-21-24 09:56 PM - Post#363728    

Blowout win for York in first round IHSA 4A playoffs. I watched some of this--AJ Levine sat out big stretches in the second half. Next round is on Friday night.

https://twitter.com/YorkDukesBB/status/17 604813967...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-21-24 11:57 PM - Post#363734    

Here's the game tape. Even just watching the first quarter gives a decent sense of Levine's game. He can play--and what a motor. #3 in white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im50c0-VZ7M
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
02-22-24 04:32 AM - Post#363735    

He clearly knows how to play the game. I agree about his motor - no standing with him. If he can sharpen his three point shooting off the dribble, he will be good. I still ask about his level of competition...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-22-24 09:36 AM - Post#363745    

His team is 4A. That’s the big boy level in Illinois, only for the biggest schools.

They have played some very tough teams this year in and out of conference, teams that are Top 16 or higher within the entire state.

The level of competition has not seemed to have effected Levine’s level of play. He has been a significant contributor game in and game out.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-24-24 07:39 PM - Post#363908    

Another big game from AJ Levine as York won its regionals last night:

https://www.dailyherald.com/20240223/boys-basketb a...

Next up: Sectional Semis on Wednesday night. Definitely a step up in competition.

Game tape from last night (AJ is #3 in white):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJpgKc_9En4
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-26-24 08:50 PM - Post#364016    

Illinois Hoops Prospects gives AJ Levine All-State First Team Honors:

https://illinoishoopprosp ects.com/2024/02/26/2023-...
UPIA1968
PhD Student
Posts 1122
UPIA1968
02-27-24 08:22 AM - Post#364036    

The rating agency talks about his defense. Wouldn't that be nice if it translates to college?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-27-24 09:35 AM - Post#364038    

From what I've seen of his play, he has a nice all-around game. Very active on both sides of the court.
yoyo
Senior
Posts 365
02-27-24 11:52 AM - Post#364043    

Kid looks like a stud. Cannot wait to see him teamed up with Sam Brown for the next 3 years
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 01:45 PM - Post#364092    

Illinois Hoops Report: All-First Team Seniors (a top ten senior)

https://twitter.com/Ihoopsreport/status/1 762580120...
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1173
02-28-24 03:08 PM - Post#364097    

Do you know where some of these other kids are going to college?
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
02-28-24 03:37 PM - Post#364099    

One Columbia, one Princeton then two Illinois, one each Iowa, Northwestern, LeMoyne, Rutgers, Winona St. and Penn.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 08:33 PM - Post#364115    

Levine's York Dukes up at the half over Batavia, 24-18. Levine leads all scorers with 11 points (including an impressive dunk on the break) and has been all over the court dishing out assists, making steals and running the offense.

Here's the link if you want to follow the rest of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjg2zT_CN48
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 08:43 PM - Post#364118    

Gets hurt on the first offensive possession of the half on a drive (blocking call). Has to be subbed out as he was limping.

Looks like he will be checking in soon, but he is still limping.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 08:47 PM - Post#364119    

He is clearly somewhat hobbled, but just hit a deep 3, for the first points by either squad of the second half, 27-18 with 5 minutes plus to play in the 3rd.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 08:59 PM - Post#364120    

34-28 after 3. Levine with 16 and it looks like he's recovered. Batavia has some absolute bombers from 3, but York is a very, very good defensive team that generates loads of turnovers, and Levine is right in the thick of that action.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 09:17 PM - Post#364122    

They blow a 9 point lead with 4 minutes to go. 4 seconds remain in regulation.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 09:27 PM - Post#364123    

Up 42-41 with 1 minute and a half to play in OT and with 4 fouls, Levine drives to the hoop, scores and converts the and 1. Huge play.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 09:36 PM - Post#364125    

Levine's York team advances in OT, 52-44.

They are now in the Sweet Sixteen. And the #1 seed in their sectional got upset (a team they had lost to earlier this year), so instead they now get the #4 seed in the sectional final on Friday night, a team they beat by 15 earlier this year.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-28-24 10:31 PM - Post#364128    

Illinois Hoops Prospects also names Levine to All State, Second Team, All-Defensive Team:

https://illinoishoopprosp ects.com/2024/02/26/2023-...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
02-29-24 10:36 AM - Post#364150    

Write-up of last night's contest:

https://www.shawlocal.com/high-school-sports/20 24/...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
03-02-24 07:50 PM - Post#364296    

Levine's York team loses in a heartbreaker Friday night, 44-43, on a last second 3 point shot.

Levine again got hobbled, this time halfway into the 4th quarter. Had to leave the game briefly and then got hurt again with his team up 2 with 17 seconds to go. So he was not on the floor during the final play.

But for most of crunch time during the 4th quarter, he was a whirling dervish on both offense and defense, just incredible, tough play. He was the one who had put the team up by 2 with a clutch 3 with less than a minute to go.

https://twitter.com/YorkDukesBB/status/17 637429482...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxVkAwSHS3M

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
03-02-24 09:17 PM - Post#364311    

Write up of the contest:

https://www.dailyherald.com/20240301/boys-basketb a...
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-17-24 04:23 PM - Post#365577    

Penn’s put out a bunch more offers including a few JUCO transfers:

Jake Lieberman
Dylan Williams out of Triton Junior College holds offers from the likes of UPenn, Robert Morris, Jacksonville U, UT Martin, Milwaukee, Oakland U, Siena, Tennessee Tech, Fairfield, +.

Averages: 15.2 points (41.1% from three), 3.8 rebounds, 5.6 assists

-Point guard

Khalon Hudson
Blessed to receive an Offer from the University of Pennsylvania !! #AllGOD

David Malandra Jr
Per Report that American River (JUCO) G Nick Graves has received an offer from #Penn

#FightonPenn @ThePortalReport

They’re also involved with more HS seniors:

Middlesex Magic
Congratulations to Magic and Rivers guard Jay Jones on receiving an offer from Penn! #MagicFamily

Jake Lieberman

6'10 center Eric Ihekwaba from Blair Academy tells me about his recruitment.

Navy (Offer)
New Hampshire (Offer)
NC A&T (Offer)
Lehigh
Brown
Manhattan
Penn
Yale
Harvard
Columbia

Ihekwaba just finished with 16/18/5 for Blair.

Moving to the NJ Prep A State Championship

Fischer Brown
After a great meeting with coach Donahue, coach Saulny and the rest of the coaching staff, I would like to announce my first D1 offer. I am honored and grateful for this offer from the University of Pennsylvania Quakers.

Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
03-17-24 06:05 PM - Post#365585    

OK, I watched some of their videos. A lot of these guys could help. Fingers crossed.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
03-17-24 06:39 PM - Post#365592    

There are more, maybe 3 additional from the Nico ranks plus a D2 transfer in the portal from CMU.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
03-17-24 06:43 PM - Post#365593    

Juco ranks
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-18-24 03:37 PM - Post#365737    

Juco. That’s where we now are. No longer is it Vanderbilt or Providence or Utah or even Elon. It’s now JUCO. I guess I’m just supposed to give up this passion of mine? That’s where it’s all headed?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21267
03-18-24 03:41 PM - Post#365738    

• AsiaSunset Said:
plus a D2 transfer in the portal from CMU.

They know what they're doing.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/game/...

besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-18-24 03:41 PM - Post#365739    

I think recruiting JUCO at a time of unprecedented D-1 movement through the portal is actually an interesting strategic decision. Having said that, having 9 or 10 open offers on recruits in March is genuinely shocking and disquieting stuff.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-18-24 03:42 PM - Post#365740    

For the record, Justin Allen is the name of the Carnegie Mellon prospect.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
03-19-24 02:46 PM - Post#365863    

• besnoah Said:
I think recruiting JUCO at a time of unprecedented D-1 movement through the portal is actually an interesting strategic decision. Having said that, having 9 or 10 open offers on recruits in March is genuinely shocking and disquieting stuff.

I agree, it is interesting, but in all the wrong ways, haha.

9 or 10 open offers at this late stage of the game shows that 1. the coaches themselves know they don't have the players to win and/or 2. represents the reality of Perkins leaving.

EXTREMELY bearish signs for the program.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
03-19-24 10:51 PM - Post#365898    

I'm all for transfers, but I don't think we've been on the right track for those for a while. In the old days, we got Maloney, Bowman, and Toole. These were key contributors to championship teams. In recent times, we got Moshkovitz and Walter.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2143
03-20-24 06:23 AM - Post#365901    

The last transfer who was a key contributor was Caleb Wood, who was on the 2018 Ivy championship team.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
03-20-24 02:28 PM - Post#365907    

Yes. Caleb Wood and Eric Osmundson were transfers who contributed meaningfully but weren't stars. Mosh would be one of those too.

I'm not sure if there will be as many star transfers in the era of NIL and the transfer portal. The likely stars will have many options. We will need to find those players who really just care about the Ivies over other high quality options, lower quality options, and NIL I'm not sure the era of free agency will appeal generally to Ivy administrators, as the Ivies broadly don't need one year rentals even if the athletic teams do.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
03-20-24 03:12 PM - Post#365910    

Caleb Wood's senior year was by far the best of any of those 3--averaged 10.2 in less than 20 mpg, with 38% from 3, 66% from 2 and was a guy who put the dagger in a lot of teams. Too bad we didn't have him for 4
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
03-20-24 03:57 PM - Post#365911    

Yeah, I liked Caleb's contributions. He started initially, but then got pushed to the bench. I didn't really understand why. He did turn the ball over a bit too much, but I thought he was our only pure ball-handler and would grow. In his senior year, he was more of a shooter for us than a pure ball-handling/assist PG.
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1173
03-20-24 04:09 PM - Post#365913    

Wasn't Caleb a JuCo transfer?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
03-20-24 04:09 PM - Post#365914    

You got it exactly--he wasn't a ballhandler and the pressure affected his shooting. Once they let Foreman be the PG, he blossomed. The prior year was one of two peak years for Donahue as a recruiter---with AJ, Goodman and Betley pre-injury. This was the Simmons/Scott year, followed by Bryce/Wang. Then he got Dingle, Martz, Monroe and Lorca-Lloyd in one season. Which states the problem--you can't miss 2 out of 3 years and stay good. Especially now, when anyone can walk who isn't happy and play immediately elsewhere--for money if they are really good.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4366
03-20-24 05:14 PM - Post#365920    

I think in this new age it might make sense to bank a couple recruiting slots until March. We only took two in Thrower’s class and 4 last year. That leaves flexibility to add if the right opportunity presents itself.

As of yesterday, 555 players had entered the portal. There were many more that entered today.

Personally I think this is the beginning of restructuring in D1 basketball that will negatively impact us over time. It’s too bad about Perkins or the other Ivy transfers. I guess the 40 year sell isn’t what it used to be. Hopefully they’ll still be good players out there that value an Ivy degree.
UPIA1968
PhD Student
Posts 1122
UPIA1968
03-21-24 10:26 AM - Post#366012    

It used to be that the Ivies competed against semi-pro teams from good colleges. Now they compete against professional teams from good colleges.

Football has been second level for years. Basketball is now too. I don't mind. I do mind when Penn finishes seventh in a league of second level players.

As to the transfer portal. Why shouldn't a kid get to choose where he or she wants to play? It's that way in the pros for the most part. Nobody in Philly complains when the Phils or Iggles sign a good free agent.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32875
03-21-24 10:55 AM - Post#366013    

The only complaints here about Perkins have been that the team's decline and atmosphere appear to have contributed to his decision, not that he made the decision.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-21-24 12:19 PM - Post#366014    

• UPIA1968 Said:
Football has been second level for years. Basketball is now too.

Your world may be collapsing all around you but the league has enjoyed its best 12 months in many years with a Sweet Sixteen appearance last March, three teams in the Top 100 this year, and several great players receiving national attention.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-21-24 12:43 PM - Post#366016    

Happy for Princeton fans to get their licks in now. Gonna be some tough conversations if Mitch and the guys were more focused on his/their next stop than bothering to win in the first round of the ILT or the NIT.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
03-21-24 12:45 PM - Post#366017    

For now, yes, statements about the league’s demise are premature. We are still competing at a high level — arguably about as well as the league ever has, at least in the last 40 years or so.

But the NIL landscape may well change that. If it’s just Perkins transferring, this is no different from Dingle, Cambridge, Boudreaux, or Smith. Sometimes top players transfer away when their teams aren’t winning. I guess if Malik Mack transfers, he could fit that same narrative. Though it starts to impact the league’s depth if it becomes more likely that top players on the lower division teams transfer, as it may get even harder to climb back into the top 4. The big question is what the landscape looks like for Pierce, Lee, and Wolf. If the top guys start leaving the teams that are winning the league, which could happen, that’s when we’ve got an issue that could threaten the league’s ability to compete at all. We’re not there yet. But you can see how we could get there.
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-21-24 02:27 PM - Post#366018    

in response to besnoah:

Absolutely no sign that Princeton lacked
effort against UNLV. They were big, shot very
well, and Lee is clearly fighting injury/illness.
I don't know the League's future, but this
Princeton teram represented tech Ivies very
well.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-21-24 02:53 PM - Post#366019    

Sorry, I don’t consider Round 1 NIT losses to be adequate representation of what I want from my team. But congratulations on adding another moral victory to the pile!
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-21-24 03:43 PM - Post#366024    

in response to besnoah:

What a shame. We all live for your approval.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-21-24 08:28 PM - Post#366037    

Penn apparently reached out to Makaih Williams (UT Arlington) and Jacob Theodosiou (Wyoming) per ThePortalReport on Twitter.

Also reports on Twitter that Penn contacted Brennan Watkins (VMI transfer) and Seth Hubbard (Western Michigan transfer).
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-23-24 01:01 PM - Post#366234    

Add AJ Smith from The Citadel to this list.
besnoah
Masters Student
Posts 803
03-27-24 11:43 AM - Post#366598    

Per Twitter, Penn has also reached out to:

Timaris Brown (Rockhurst [D-II]), Dennis Evans (Louisville), Nathan Dudukovich (Thomas More [D-II]), and Rodney Brown Jr. (Cal).
yoyo
Senior
Posts 365
03-27-24 03:18 PM - Post#366609    

• besnoah Said:
Per Twitter, Penn has also reached out to:

Timaris Brown (Rockhurst [D-II]), Dennis Evans (Louisville), Nathan Dudukovich (Thomas More [D-II]), and Rodney Brown Jr. (Cal).

can you provide the twitter links you are getting these from?

91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
03-27-24 06:32 PM - Post#366618    

Check the portal report and jake lieberman on twitter.

BTW, Columbia is also very active in contacting guys in the portal.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1903
03-27-24 07:23 PM - Post#366622    

I'm too tired to look up all these players, but I did look up Rodney Brown. I'd like to have him on the team. He would be a great net trade for Larson. Possibly even a trade up from Perkins.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.277 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:00 AM