Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Tosan Declares for NBA Draft
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
03-29-23 11:15 PM - Post#355339    

Didn't have to wait long for a decision...

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1 641273470...

• Quote:
Princeton's Tosan Evbuomwan, the Ivy league player of the year and a breakout star of the NCAA tournament, will forgo his remaining college eligibility and enter the NBA draft, he told ESPN. He will sign with George S. Langberg of GSL Sports Group for representation.

Evbuomwan: "I’ve accomplished everything that I could’ve hoped to at Princeton and I’m ready for the next step in my basketball career. I’m excited to show NBA teams who I am and what I’m capable of as the pre-draft process unfolds."

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1 641274358...

• Quote:
Evbuomwan would have been the most hotly pursued player in the NCAA transfer portal had he elected to play his fifth year of college eligibility at another school, but will instead begin his professional career after a fantastic NCAA tournament and Sweet 16 run with Princeton.

I think it's definitely the right move - a 5th year would be a waste of time for Tosan. All he needs to do is improve his 3pt shot and that's best done with a professional shooting coach.

For what little it's worth, NBAdraft.net has him as a late 2nd round pick. Even if he's not drafted, I'm sure he'll get a bunch of Summer League/training camp invites.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2280
1LotteryPick1969
03-30-23 06:42 AM - Post#355340    

• gokinsmen Said:

I think it's definitely the right move - a 5th year would be a waste of time for Tosan. All he needs to do is improve his 3pt shot and that's best done with a professional shooting coach.

He doesn't need another year of classes in graduate school, but I see it as a year on a college campus of a high major, vs. a year in the G league.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32912
03-30-23 07:42 AM - Post#355342    

The problem at a high major, if you read the article on North Carolina in the Athletic yesterday, is that everyone is trying to showcase his own credentials for the NBA ---the minute they are not being showcased, it's the transfer portal. This is hurting the high majors as we saw in the Tournament this year. Tosan would not have much of an opportunity to work on his game---it would be competition with everyone else. If he gets drafted, that's a better situation--so is high ranked European ball.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21311
03-30-23 07:57 AM - Post#355343    

• Quote:
Princeton's Tosan Evbuomwan, the Ivy league player of the year

Thanks for the morning chuckle, P38!
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2280
1LotteryPick1969
03-30-23 08:10 AM - Post#355344    

• palestra38 Said:
so is high ranked European ball.

I follow the NBA....not at all. Are there many US graduates who go to Europe and make it back to the NBA?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32912
03-30-23 08:30 AM - Post#355345    

Ha---I didn't even notice that in the initial post.

Well, he was "an" Ivy League Player of the Year.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
03-30-23 10:41 AM - Post#355352    

I think Tosan will get a chance to show what he's got. Not sure he is developed enough to compete at an NBA level. But G League would definitely be better than a HM college. G league teams have real resources with full time strength and player development coaches. And the G league is some high level competition. (see Devin Cannady's success; Jordan Poole with Warriors was a G League guy, etc)

Separately, former Penn Strength coach Steven Brindle was with Milwaukee's G league team and now works for the Sixers. Penn's Darnell Foreman is an assistant coach on Oklahoma City's G-League team.
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 445
03-30-23 10:49 AM - Post#355353    

It seems like a smart move, even though will miss watching him play.
Every year, he adds new facets to his game. He has NBA-level talent,
and the work ethic to get there. The Ivy League hasn't seen
anyone close to his level in some time.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
03-30-23 10:52 AM - Post#355355    

We'll see if he is NBA level soon enough. Ivy league hasn't seen his level, but the NBA has a lot of long, athletic guys. He isn't going to be guarded by a big, slow 5. He won't have a physical advantage against most NBA players. His game will have to expand to be successful at that level. Others have done this, but the list isn't very long and the odds are stacked the other way.

Hoping he represents!
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32912
03-30-23 10:53 AM - Post#355356    

There are G-League teams in the New York area, Delaware and DC/Maryland, so perhaps with a drive, you'll still be able to see them (and games are streamed as well)
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 445
03-30-23 10:58 AM - Post#355359    

He is more than a long, athletic guy.
He has elite court vision. His passing and defense are NBA ready.
His shooting stroke is a work in progress, but he has made remarkable strides.
It is true that he has NBA size and quickness, which separated him
in the Ivies.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32912
03-30-23 11:17 AM - Post#355360    

I'm not arguing with you. He has game. But shooting is a required skill of someone his size in the NBA, and that's why he is borderline.
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 445
03-30-23 11:52 AM - Post#355361    

I agree that his shooting needs to improve,
but the gains in the past year show he has
the potential to become an acceptable shooter.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2280
1LotteryPick1969
03-30-23 02:21 PM - Post#355374    

• PennFan10 Said:
G league teams have real resources with full time strength and player development coaches.

I don't know much about the G league resources. I'm a bit surprised to hear this.

Meanwhile Devin Cannady is starting, but three point shooting percentage is lower.

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
03-30-23 03:10 PM - Post#355376    

• LocalTiger Said:
He is more than a long, athletic guy.
He has elite court vision. His passing and defense are NBA ready.
His shooting stroke is a work in progress, but he has made remarkable strides.
It is true that he has NBA size and quickness, which separated him
in the Ivies.

I think you under estimate the number of extremely talented players that never make it in the NBA. Court Vision and passing are simply required skills for entry to the NBA. You also have to play defense unless you are an absolute point machine (Doncic, Curry, etc). Those skills are simply a ticket into the arena. They don't get you NBA jobs. I think Tosan is a special player but I am not sure what he does that is unique to the NBA. He is not an above-the-rim player, he can't shoot at an NBA level, he is only 6-8, and his handle is easily defended by NBA talent.

I hope I'm wrong but the list of players that don't make it and have equal or better skill sets is hundreds long.

He is going to get his shot in the summer and he will have to play his way into a G league spot and then into the NBA if he is going to make it. BTW, I think the same will be true of Dingle next year

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21311
03-30-23 03:32 PM - Post#355378    

Yeah, before COVID hit we would go to see the Westchester Knicks on occasion. Every once in a while the NY team needed a call up, and some of these guys would do OK in MSG.

G League bodies are a big step up from college, and the players are plenty athletic. Generally speaking, though, the shooting is not quite up to snuff.
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 445
03-30-23 03:50 PM - Post#355379    

Any Ivy player is a long way from the NBA,
but Tosan's skill set and potential make him a far more realistic
prospect than Dingle, a very good scorer but too small
and not nearly rounded or athletic enough for the NBA.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21311
03-30-23 04:16 PM - Post#355383    

I don't see Dingle ending up in today's NBA.

I don't see Tosan ending up there, either.

Nonetheless, both should have productive professional basketball careers outside of it should they choose to go that route.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
03-30-23 04:24 PM - Post#355385    

Tosan has a very common skill set among the hundreds of potential NBA players, most of whom never make it.

Last year 60 players were drafted and 300+ declared for the NBA draft (underclassmen--not including graduating seniors). Not even the 60 who were drafted ended up on NBA rosters. It's a narrow path to make it and you have to have a unique skill set.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21311
03-30-23 04:51 PM - Post#355389    

The skill level is just at another level these days. And more and more big men are out there as well who can also shoot it from range.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
03-30-23 09:22 PM - Post#355400    

Hi Penn Fan
I strongly disagree. Can you name a few potential NBA players who do what Tosan does as a point forward. He is unique and has been recognized as such by many commentators.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21311
03-30-23 09:46 PM - Post#355401    

There are probably any number of NBA players who share Tosan's inability to consistently hit FTs or hit from long range, but they are much taller and stronger than him and can do much more damage very close to the basket.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
03-31-23 05:30 AM - Post#355404    

Hi again,

If I am reading your previous post correctly, you used the word "potential" NBA players. Not NBA players.
Just consider this
1. He is still very young and can get much much stronger
2. In one year he dramatically improved his free throw percentage and 3 point shooting percentage. I expect that improvement to continue. Watching his shooting technique, he has the potential to become a decent 3 point shooter
3. Last year he was an OK defender and was constantly getting into foul trouble. He has turned into an elite defender and rarely has foul troubles.

Bottom line is that no one knows what he will be like 3-4 years from now. Also remember that he only started playing basketball 6-7 years ago.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32912
03-31-23 08:26 AM - Post#355406    

Increasing FT percentage from 56% to 65% is not "dramatic improvement."

But I think he has a shot in time. You look at a guy like Mikal Bridges--similar build, made dramatic improvement his final college year and has made himself into a helluva player. But he played at Villanova. I think Tosan needs to play higher level ball to really have a shot (and maybe that counsels a transfer rather than going into the draft-but if he signed with an agent and accepted more than meals and draft advice, I don't think he can).
ToothlessTiger
Senior
Posts 341
03-31-23 09:31 AM - Post#355412    

What Tosan does he does very well. A lot of his skill set (mobility, ball handling g, PASSING) will be useful at the next level. What he needs to improve (mid range and long range shooting and FT's) are absolutely crucial if he is make it in the NBA. He did not necessarily need those skills to succeed in college. Mike Muscala is still in the NBA in a reserve role. Tosan can help a team as much as the Bucknell great has.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
03-31-23 03:01 PM - Post#355422    

• jeromelh Said:
Hi Penn Fan
I strongly disagree. Can you name a few potential NBA players who do what Tosan does as a point forward. He is unique and has been recognized as such by many commentators.

You mean 6-8 guys who can dribble, shoot, defend, and pass? Almost every current NBA player 6-9 or under can dribble, pass and defend and all of them can score. As far as NBA prospects who can do that? In the current draft pool there are a bunch:

Jett Howard, 6-8 Michigan
Kris Murray 6-8 Iowa
Drew Peterson 6-9 USC
G.G. Jackson 6-9 South Carolina
Grady Dick 6-8 Kansas
Cam Whitmore 6-7 Villanova
Dariq Whitehead, 6-7 Duke
Maxwell Lewis 6-7 Pepperdine
Kyle Filipowski, 7-0 Duke
Julian Phillips, 6-8 Tennessee
Jalen Wilson 6-8 Kansas
Julian Strawther 6-7 Gonzaga
Jaime Jacquez, 6-7 UCLA
Leonard Miller, 6-10 G League Ignite
Alex Fudge 6-10 FLorida

Every one of these guys can bring the ball up and make plays as a scorer and most were great defenders in college. There are many more but these are some of the top draft prospects out there.

Tosan has a high upside and in the right situation he could definitely develop into a much better player. Is it NBA roster upside? The odds are against that but it has happened in the past.

jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
03-31-23 07:06 PM - Post#355439    

I haven't watched most of the names specifically except for Whitmore. Whitmore's game is nothing like Tosan's
Furthermore, I have watched a lot of basketball and have seen no one like him. Granted he needs to get stronger and improve his shooting. However, his skill set is unique. The offense runs through him.
I will be very interested to watch his performance in the summer league to see how his game translates to the pros.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
03-31-23 09:27 PM - Post#355453    

Kyle Anderson is probably the best NBA comparison for Tosan. A 6-9, 230 glue guy best known for his passing/vision. A jack-of-all-trades currently averaging 9p/5r/5a in his 9th season.

Anderson isn't very athletic by NBA SF standards, but he's capable of defending multiple positions due to his length and agility. He even has the same half-joking nickname as Tosan: "Slow-Mo." He plays the game at his own deliberate pace and somehow it works. Not much of a shooter but can hit a wide-open 3 if necessary.

Tosan is definitely faster than Anderson, though his wingspan isn't as big.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2819
03-31-23 09:37 PM - Post#355454    

Just about all of us are pulling for Tosan. But, as PennFan observes, the odds are long for nearly anyone but a select few. Tosan still has a lot to prove. I hate to repeat this, but “only time will tell”.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
03-31-23 10:34 PM - Post#355456    

I will root for Today and he will get a chance. My main point is that the NBA is insanely competitive and Tosan s skill are not unique in the NBA. Lots of players can do what he does and are more athletic.
final479
Freshman
Posts 49
03-31-23 10:56 PM - Post#355457    

Super talented player. To the eye he looks like a classic NBA 3 and D. That's the rub, he needs to improve his shooting from distance to have a shot, Given his 'tweener size, that's his ticket.

I don't know enough about his stroke to guess if that's realistic. But here's a secret - the NBA is really good at projecting shooting talent. Meaning even if he has not made a historically high percentage from deep, scouts and the analytics folks are great at identifying the proper foundation and mechanics and projecting whether a player will ultimately be an effective shooter from distance.

Working against him is his age. He's 22, that's really pretty old for an NBA prospect, particularly one whose skill set is not fully formed. That will be a big negative to the scouts. On the other hand, he's really not played the game that long, and the NBA will view that as a sign for potential growth.

I'm rooting for him, and guessing that he puts in the time to show off markedly better shooting skills by summer league. If he does that successfully, he'll be on an NBA roster.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2819
04-01-23 02:57 PM - Post#355474    

One thing possibly going against Tosan (at least to some eyes) is that he has plenty of options. I agree with PennFan that his odds are long and he has plenty to do to rise above his talented competition.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4921
04-01-23 03:25 PM - Post#355475    

This is a fun scouting look.

https://ivyhoopsonline.com/2023/03/31/tosan-evbu om...
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
04-01-23 03:33 PM - Post#355476    

Odds are long for every non-lottery pick, but all-around players have a much better chance than one-dimensional scorers.

Jeremy Lin wasn't even a POY during his Ivy career (and got locked down by Kareem Maddox), but his all-around game was a sign that he had the talent to make it in the NBA. Even aside from Linsanity, he was a solid backup/6th man until knee injuries wore him down.

Tosan is an all-around player who can score, pass, rebound, and defend at high levels. That gives him a better chance than the typical fringe NBA prospect from the Ivy.

Miye Oni was an all-around player too, but there's no doubt that scoring was his greatest skill. And that's probably true of 90% of NBA prospects. Tosan's greatest skill is his passing/vision, which isn't rare but is far less common than scoring or rebounding among forwards.
final479
Freshman
Posts 49
04-03-23 01:16 AM - Post#355507    

A good model for Tosan could be Grant Williams of the Celtics. An under sized post-player @ Tennessee who has made himself into a versatile 3 and D player in the pros.

Here are some of his college highlights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7rYdTLxXTA

PS I believe Williams turned down Princeton, Yale and Harvard.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
04-03-23 11:05 AM - Post#355516    

• gokinsmen Said:
Odds are long for every non-lottery pick, but all-around players have a much better chance than one-dimensional scorers.

Jeremy Lin wasn't even a POY during his Ivy career (and got locked down by Kareem Maddox), but his all-around game was a sign that he had the talent to make it in the NBA. Even aside from Linsanity, he was a solid backup/6th man until knee injuries wore him down.

Tosan is an all-around player who can score, pass, rebound, and defend at high levels. That gives him a better chance than the typical fringe NBA prospect from the Ivy.

Miye Oni was an all-around player too, but there's no doubt that scoring was his greatest skill. And that's probably true of 90% of NBA prospects. Tosan's greatest skill is his passing/vision, which isn't rare but is far less common than scoring or rebounding among forwards.

Maybe I don't understand your point but I would simply point out that 90% of NBA players are role players. They have 1 or 2 things they do very well for a team and they fit a specific need (thus the term 3 and D). NBA GM's are not looking at late 2nd round/FA pickups for their overall talent. Tosan is going to have to excel/project at 1 thing that a team needs to have a chance.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
04-03-23 11:58 AM - Post#355519    

• final479 Said:
A good model for Tosan could be Grant Williams of the Celtics. An under sized post-player @ Tennessee who has made himself into a versatile 3 and D player in the pros.

Here are some of his college highlights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7rYdTLxXTA

PS I believe Williams turned down Princeton, Yale and Harvard.

Grant Williams (6-7) college stats and game are very similar to Tosan. Like Tosan, Grant Williams was a 32% 3pt shooter in college (on very few attempts--15/46 his senior yr at Tennessee) and a great defender. Williams has become a classic 3 and D guy as 40% 3pt shooter in the NBA (113/281 this year) and often matches up with opponents 2nd best option (Marcus Smart is their top defender) and is usually on the floor at end of games for defense.

This is a good comp for development for Tosan.

gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
04-03-23 10:21 PM - Post#355529    

• PennFan10 Said:
Maybe I don't understand your point but I would simply point out that 90% of NBA players are role players. They have 1 or 2 things they do very well for a team and they fit a specific need (thus the term 3 and D). NBA GM's are not looking at late 2nd round/FA pickups for their overall talent.

You misunderstood my point. In fact, I totally agree with what you just said and your argument fits my point exactly. I'll put it this way...

Since - as you said - 90% of NBA players are role players, a fringe NBA prospect needs to do something other than score (which is the #1 skill of most prospects).

I'm saying Tosan has an advantage over most fringe NBA prospects because he's already shown other high level skills beyond scoring - most notably his passing and his defense. Take away his scoring ability and he's still a valuable role player - as a facilitator and defender.
mobrien
Masters Student
Posts 403
04-03-23 10:35 PM - Post#355530    

The problem is role players usually don't get a chance to show off their passing ability. Taking advantage of Tosan's court vision would require him to have the ball a lot, and it would only make sense to give him that kind of usage if he was a good threat to score. His postup game so far is primarily based on overpowering lesser athletes; that won't be an option in the NBA. So he'd need to both improve his shooting and his one-on-one moves for his passing to really shine through.

All of which is to say that if he's going to make an NBA roster—which is definitely doable—it'll be because of his shooting and defense. The passing would be a nice extra, but it's not going to make or break his chance at the league. Teams aren't running their offenses through their 8th players, not even in the second unit.

There's a path to him making the league but it probably involves him toiling in the G-League for a year or two, like Jeremy Lin and Devin Cannaday, and massively improving his shooting. That's the whole ballgame.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4921
04-04-23 03:47 PM - Post#355546    

Role players must be good passers in the NBA, especially when they’re on the second unit. But of course outside shooting will be critical for Tosan.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-06-23 05:13 PM - Post#356178    

Tosan scored an invite to the NBA G League Elite Camp. 45 players attending this year's showcase for fringe/2nd rd talent.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-ann ounce...

Top performers get invited to the official draft combine, which is held at the same arena right after. For what it's worth, NBAdraft.net now has Tosan at #45.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-10-23 10:42 PM - Post#356249    

Tosan working out for the Atlanta Hawks:

https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/16564 051127749...

• Quote:
Here's who is in the building tomorrow for pre-draft workouts

Marcus Carr (Texas)
Kendric Davis (Memphis)
Tosan Evbuomwan (Princeton)
Landers Nolley II (Cincinnati)
Drew Peterson (USC)
Erik Stevenson (West Virginia)

gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-13-23 03:00 PM - Post#356295    

They're streaming the G-League Elite Camp scrimmages via YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052oLXSy_XE

Tosan's team (Team 4 in black) is currently playing.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-13-23 04:51 PM - Post#356296    

Defensively, Tosan looked really good. Teams can't question his athleticism there. Went under a screen early on to allow a 3, but was superb at containing dribble penetration. Had a nice block and forced three steals when guys tried to drive on him.

Offensively, he had a messy performance with nice moments sprinkled in. UCLA's Tyger Campbell handled most of the point duties, though Tosan got some run. He easily beat his man off the dribble but only went 2-6 on FTs. Airballed his lone 3 attempt. Had a sweet putback dunk. Made some late TOs.

Another scrimmage tomorrow. I think he's gotta be more aggressive on offense... and then make plays for others. He took a lot of hard contract for a scrimmage - guys are definitely not letting the Ivy Leaguer score on them. Tosan showed some nice leadership too - leading a couple of on-court huddles.
ToothlessTiger
Senior
Posts 341
05-13-23 05:52 PM - Post#356297    

I think his basketball future unfolds in Europe
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
05-13-23 06:14 PM - Post#356298    

He really needed to enter the transfer portal.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-13-23 06:19 PM - Post#356299    

I think he made the right the decision, especially after his attention-grabbing Sweet 16 run. For what it's worth, I've seen 3 sites have him in the 40s in their mock draft (NBAdraft.net, USA Today, Bleacher Report on NBA.com). Being drafted is unlikely but not out of the question.

I'm curious to know how Tosan tested in his athletic measurements (e.g. wingspan, speed, agility). He probably doesn't get invited to the official combine, but he should get Summer League and training camp invites.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
05-13-23 06:45 PM - Post#356300    

As I see it, he only started playing basketball about 5-6 years and I think he would have benefitted by playing for a bigtime college program. He is still learning. My feeling is that he will be judged more by how he looks in the g league combine than how he looked in the NCCAA tourney. Hope he makes it.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-14-23 06:00 PM - Post#356303    

Great measurements for Tosan:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwHVxYBWwAMawUv ?format...

Height w/o shoes: 6'7.25"
Wingspan: 7'1.5"
Handwidth: 10.25"

Those are top-notch for a prospective SF. According to the broadcast, he also had a 34.5" standing vertical, which is solid enough for a skill-guy like Tosan. Of course, he's still gonna have to improve his 3pt shot, but that's true of most prospects.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-14-23 06:23 PM - Post#356304    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_y6rlGQxMc

Tosan (Team 3, not Team 4) looked much better today on offense with several fantastic finishes through contact. He also drew a couple of fouls by getting into the paint. But he got blocked on his lone 3 attempt. He had a sweet offensive rebound/steal near the end, but the ball was stolen from him later by D'Moi Hodge (revenge for Mizzou!).

On defense, Tosan was mostly superb again, containing dribble penetration and forcing steals. He made a couple miscues at the end, but hey, it's a scrimmage with guys you've never played with. You're gonna mess up a coverage or two.

Tosan showed that he belonged athletically and then some, which is probably the biggest thing for an Ivy Leaguer. Combined with his impressive measurements, I won't be shocked at a combine invite, but I don't think it's likely. I think Summer League is his next stop.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-14-23 07:36 PM - Post#356305    

• Quote:
Height w/o shoes: 6'7.25"
Wingspan: 7'1.5"
Handwidth: 10.25"

Those are top-notch for a prospective SF. According to the broadcast, he also had a 34.5" standing vertical

Oops, that should be a 30.5" standing vertical, not 34.5" (that would be elite even for a guard).
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-14-23 10:38 PM - Post#356309    

Looks like Tosan got invited to the NBA combine after all! Major honor. So happy for him.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1 657937704...

• Quote:
Source: 8 players called up from G League Elite Camp to NBA Draft Combine starting tomorrow:

Jazian Gortman - OTE
Jabari Rice - Texas
Hunter Tyson - Clemson
Johni Broome - Auburn
PJ Hall - Clemson
Tosan Evbuomwan - Princeton
Kendric Davis - Memphis
Dillon Jones - Weber St

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1 657936048...

• Quote:
Tosan Evbuomwan has been called up to the NBA Draft Combine from the G League Elite Camp. Princeton grad had a strong two day showing after measuring 6’ 7.25” barefoot, 215 pounds with a 7’1” wingspan.

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
05-15-23 10:39 AM - Post#356314    

Congratulations to Tosan. In these days its very difficult to get a spot at the NBA combine, especially from the G League invite. There were 45 players invited to the G League scrimmages and only 7 advance to join the 100 or so players at the combine.

In doing so, his chances of getting drafted have increased dramatically.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-17-23 06:04 PM - Post#356331    

Tosan was super-impressive in his first NBA Combine scrimmage.

Despite very limited time, he was 4-5 FG (10pts) with a 3 and an and-1 reverse layup. Selfish, 3pt chucking teammates limited his touches in his second stint, but he still made nice hustle plays while setting up his teammates.

On defense, he once again shut down dribble penetration no matter whom he was guarding. He did get whistled for two fouls guarding bigs at the rim, but he'll probably be a SF at the next level anyway.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
05-17-23 06:51 PM - Post#356332    

Thanks for the update. That he had limited minutes is probably a good sign. These players are being evaluated. Tosan has shown what he can do. His ability to defend his a huge plus. I am hopeful that he gets drafted.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
05-17-23 08:31 PM - Post#356336    

Thanks for your posts. This is super exciting. Go Tosan!
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 445
05-17-23 10:03 PM - Post#356338    

He is showing he made the right call.
Hope he gets drafted.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-17-23 10:45 PM - Post#356341    

That Sweet 16 run gave him a spotlight and he's taking full advantage. I'm really beginning to think Tosan will be drafted.

BTW, the combine scrimmages are on ESPN2. Tomorrow is the second (and last) day and it starts @ 4pm EST.

I'm guessing Tosan plays more tomorrow since he only played ~12 minutes today.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
05-18-23 07:16 AM - Post#356343    

I googled sites for draft prediction, and they all have Tosan going in the second round. Will watch the combine today. Hopefully he will NOT play many minutes as I think that he has already shown what he can do. Apparently, his ability to defend and especially his ability to pass is intriguing many NBA teams.
Originally, I thought that Tosan should have entered the transfer portal, but I have changed my mind. He made the correct decision.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-18-23 04:17 PM - Post#356350    

Nice article about Tosan's pre-draft experience so far. Even before the combine, he worked out for a bunch of teams (Spurs, Pistons, Hawks, Celtics).

https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/05/nba-dr aft-prince...

• Quote:
His team will play one more game late Thursday evening (6:15 ET, ESPN2).

Looks like he's playing in the second scrimmage of the day. We'll see how much he plays.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
05-18-23 04:52 PM - Post#356351    

RE: the scout who evaluated him as a g league player.
He stated that the last game was the only time he saw him. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in his opinion at this time.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2280
1LotteryPick1969
05-18-23 06:52 PM - Post#356354    

Brett MacConnell tweeted a short highlight video.

Amazing to see the same moves work effectively at a higher level of competition.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3683
05-18-23 07:53 PM - Post#356356    

ESPN cut away from much of the game action to show pointless interviews and aired the 4Q on ESPN News. But when they did show Tosan, he put on defensive clinic.

By my count, he defended 8-9 shots from both guards and forwards and only allowed 1 basket while forcing 2-3 airballs. He also grabbed a bunch of nice rebounds and shared the ball on a day when no almost one else did (desperation led to a lot of bad shots).

On offense, Tosan's teammates mostly froze him out - probably since he already impressed yesterday. The 2 times they tried to feed him, the passes were way off-target. That said, Tosan had an amazing Eurostep and-1 from the corner on his only shot of the game (at least that they aired). He also made nice passes to set up teammates, even if they didn't make the shot.

The fact that Tosan is even at the NBA Combine despite a stat-light G-League camp tells me NBA personnel are indeed noticing his defense, feel for the game and crafty finishes. At the very least, he's earned himself more NBA workouts - all it takes is one team to believe.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
05-18-23 08:07 PM - Post#356357    

Thx. I saw it also. The coverage was abysmal. Tosan’s general play was excellent. Even if he isn’t drafted he should be able to sign a 2 way contract

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.007 seconds.   Total Queries: 7   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:18 PM