Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Auburn
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-17-24 06:26 PM - Post#365588    

Yale gets a very bum draw in KP #4 Auburn in Spokane this Friday. A team with a lot of size and pace will be a tough one, but Yale isn't without weapons.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-17-24 06:32 PM - Post#365589    

ha- i have been to 4AU games this year.

Because my stepdaughter plays there and the bball coaches call my house once a week

I will have another bourbon. what a postseason for this
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-17-24 06:32 PM - Post#365590    

She doesn't play basketball.

but the boys do

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-17-24 06:34 PM - Post#365591    

I cld write James scout on auburn
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-17-24 06:44 PM - Post#365594    

it's kind of a nightmare considering ira Bowman is on staff. But I will stop there and sign off for a few days
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-17-24 08:32 PM - Post#365608    

One factor that should help against Auburn's press: Yale has ball handlers at all 5 positions.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-17-24 09:09 PM - Post#365617    

Listen auburn is very good as noted by metrics and kenpom. They have improved a lot over the year also bc I have been forced to watch a lot.

hard to distill it down. But Broome vs wolf is fun. It's kind of a clash of styles and types of player except there in that matchup.
Yale can get it's shot off over their guards I think but can't turn it over.
The matchups I fear are 3/4. Auburn has some pieces here that are tough for us and most.
I wish aletan and Molloy and some bruisers had more minutes bc I think that's what you have to do to neutralize them there.
But the trick w auburn is these pieces are so versatile and the guards are so deep. It's like a bunch of fire hydrant lilly clones who chop up minutes.
But I need to go quiet on it bc it's awkward.
Go bulldogs and hey it's a Friday 4.10 and we both get shipped to spokane. Hopefully wolf redeems the bagel he laid there in November.
Go dawgs!

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-17-24 09:11 PM - Post#365619    

Lastly I said the team had no grit.
The reality is in the ILT that's kind of all we had.
So go on the kids for sucking it up and getting it done.
We'll need grit, skill and luck on Friday. But that is what it is
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 02:42 PM - Post#365716    

I can't go away. I have nothing to do in march now. So fun.

I am going to wear a Yale basketball polo to an equestrian event in auburn in Thursday and more exciting...to dinner and drinks in downtown afterwards.

Kind of a test. I am kind of old but at my size will I get heckled by the sec fanatics? Will they be more threatening than the trolls arnd here?
Downtown will be a test. might be peak excitement this week given who we play.
Glad this event will be on Thursday. Will report back.
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-18-24 03:16 PM - Post#365721    

The money line in Vegas has been moving in Yale's favor - opened at +600 but is now at +550. I'd be tempted to take that if I were a gambling man.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 04:36 PM - Post#365745    

I can't bet this one but if I did not sure I have the clearest head to assess anyway.

I would enjoy seeing peak Yale on Friday.

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 04:44 PM - Post#365747    

Also I will say.. I preferred the auburn reveal more than my anticipated duke or UK matchup.

I know the metrics tell us how good Auburn is and all...but at 13/14 it doesn't matter so much.
The bad news is AU has improved a ton since I last saw them live. They won the darn sec tournament.

And pearl won't take us lightly. will the players? I don't know. But having Bowman on staff and given his Israeli contacts--that part isn't ideal
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-18-24 04:53 PM - Post#365749    

What does have a relationship with "Israeli contacts" have anything to do with Auburn players taking the game seriously?
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 05:10 PM - Post#365751    

Danny Wolf.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 05:13 PM - Post#365753    

he has been offered a pro deal in Israel with a renowned club.

along w NIL. pearl knows this. and so will Johnni Broome.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 05:18 PM - Post#365755    

its kind of a shame. just listened to lock in podcast on auburn and they dont know who danny wolf is and just mocked yale which is ironic bc auburn had been such a red headed stepchild in sec country until covid. now its like the harvard of the plains if you listen to these crackers

but thats deceptive. the coaching staff is on us
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-18-24 05:23 PM - Post#365756    

I'm sure they knew even before with his play for Team Israel in the U20s in Europe as well as his play for Team USA for the Maccabiah (Pearl at one time coached that team).

I graduated from the same Jewish parochial (K-8) school that Wolf did.

• james Said:
he has been offered a pro deal in Israel with a renowned club.

along w NIL. pearl knows this. and so will Johnni Broome.

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 05:35 PM - Post#365758    

the communication from coach to player and ultimate comprehension is what matters and more particularly when.

we would prefer it to be an oh sh-t moment at the under 10 timeout like kansas rather than at wednesdays practice/shootaround.

lastly wolfs tape kind of lies in league. he has been defended different ways and he isnt playing against sec bigs.
in person he is so damn quick for his size.

ask bill self. he was shocked

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-18-24 05:43 PM - Post#365760    

He had his troubles against Brown on Sunday, though, at least on offense.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 05:52 PM - Post#365764    

he has been scouted a defended very well in league oarticularly the 2nd time around +

he hasnt refined his post game and doesnt finish at an elite level yet. so thats how you try to limit him. make him finish with the ball in the air. step 1 is deny on wing or trap him to get the ball up not down.
this is truly unusual and this is part of my point.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 05:59 PM - Post#365769    

despite this
4/7 from 2
0-4 from 3
13 rebs 4 blocks
gave browns nana his worst game and did it against the best fromt line he faces in the ivies
special but raw talent (in some areas) this danny wolf
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-18-24 05:59 PM - Post#365770    

He was tremendous on D, particularly in the first half. Got burned a bit in the second half, but Yale got its first half lead largely because he was a relentless defender.

He was also in excellent position on the last play of the game, too.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 06:16 PM - Post#365773    

i just hope he pulls a justin sears unicorn act w the cameras on

and auburns players are blind to his footwork on tape dismissing it as "white mans league who cares"

lets be honest danny doesnt jump well. neither did justin. makes them potentially sneaky scout conclusions pre game.

justin had arms like inspector gadget and bizarre finishing ability. wolf is a 7' guard. unique
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-18-24 06:33 PM - Post#365774    

• james Said:
its kind of a shame. just listened to lock in podcast on auburn and they dont know who danny wolf is and just mocked yale

Princeton was mocked on the Arizona hoops podcast last year in the days before the Tigers shocked the world. I enjoyed the hell out of their post-game podcast after our guys out-rebounded and out-shot blocked their giant front line.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 06:38 PM - Post#365775    

i listened to that and found it hilarious when the postgame one came out.

but we need danny to channel his inner tosan and he is but 19 which is young esp for a 7 footer who played 2 guard just a few yrs back
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 06:44 PM - Post#365777    

i might have even subtweeted those az clowns postgame.

i am always #oneivy in march.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-18-24 07:51 PM - Post#365784    

Are you headed out for the game(s), James? After following the Tigers to Sacramento and Louisville last year with a college roommate, I was ready to fly anywhere for another taste of Madness this year.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 08:58 PM - Post#365795    

i dont think so. i am bad luck for the bulldogs. we blew the lsu game when i last attended so call it superstition as well. it was fun though

and its a hell of a flight for me as i have creaky bones long legs and wide hips. toxic mix.

but i can imagine last year was a bucket list experience for you. i am jealous.
i just hope for a competitive game from my couch. auburn is so tough.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 09:02 PM - Post#365796    

i was in austin for the sweet 16 last yr.

i remember some UT alum buddies were like why are you pulling so hard for princeton? i'm like its hard to explain--you cant stand each other when competing but then as you get older those guys become your friends.

so its like that stupid "S-E-C" cheer but hopefully with a higher IQ attached. ha
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32877
03-18-24 09:14 PM - Post#365801    

Auburn is really good. But I'll be rooting for Yale. I don't have them in my bracket, though.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 09:27 PM - Post#365804    

it might be our last chance watching an ivy league school in the most competitive tournament.
i am being extreme bc there is mass resistance to chance to this lucrative product....

but greg sankey of the sec raised it as he continues to destroy college football as we know it and the CFP.

i cant stand him or their conference. i am whispering
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 09:32 PM - Post#365805    

on further review we wanted a banged up kansas on a neutral floor this time.

thank you worthless committee! and in spokane of all places for the 2nd time this year. gross
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-18-24 09:58 PM - Post#365815    

I'll be rooting for Yale on Friday. I'm not as pessimistic as you seem to be that the Ivies are about to enter a period of steep descent. I've been following the Tigers since I was a kid in the 70s, then as a student there, and ever since. If I had a nickel for every time over the years that I've thought "I'll never see a Princeton team this good again in my lifetime"... For 25 years I thought the '98 team was the last, great Tiger team I'd ever see. Then last year--bang!--Sweet Sixteen.

Sorry you can't make it to the game, James. Find yourself a nice sports bar somewhere and wear your Yale gear proudly. I was in LA in 1996 when Princeton stunned UCLA and that was the next best thing to being at the game. (A college roomate and I swore after that game that we'd never miss the Tigers in the tournament again and have seen them play--and mostly lose in heartbreaking fashion--live in 97, 98, 01, 04, 11, 17, and then last year).

Enjoy the madness

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 10:06 PM - Post#365817    

ha thats nice.

i watched that '97 game upside down on a spring break in fort lauderdale with a bunch of fraternity brothers sleeping 6 to a room which should hold 2.

we went crazy when they pulled it off on the backdoor. and for the record i got tortured guarding steve goodrich in hs and college games as recently as like a week before. and i tht mitch henderson was the devil. cldnt freaking stand him on court. was like alocco on opponents today i an sure.
but yale sigma nu was oneivy.

and we were for penn when they faced bama with mcdyess and mccaffrey in the middle like a year or two before. i was in panama city beach at a sports bar for that one after being destroyed at the palestra days before.

those were the days.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2143
03-18-24 10:06 PM - Post#365818    

• james Said:
he has been scouted a defended very well in league oarticularly the 2nd time around +

he hasnt refined his post game and doesnt finish at an elite level yet. so thats how you try to limit him. make him finish with the ball in the air. step 1 is deny on wing or trap him to get the ball up not down.
this is truly unusual and this is part of my point.

Brown also mixed up the timing and direction from which the double teams attacked Wolf. That led to a few turnovers.

As much of an improvement he made from his freshman season (when he looked borderline unplayable) to this year, I think there's still room for more growth. He needs to get stronger and refine his skills.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-18-24 10:26 PM - Post#365820    

Maybe if he gets to the point where he doesn't need a face guard that would improve matters as well.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-18-24 10:42 PM - Post#365821    

i call it "ball in the air" which makes little sense but i think i identified the strategy and weakness before the opponents did and on this board (pat on back)

mitch henderson more eloquently said (before yale II) " we have to make him play like a center than a guard"

thats what i meant anyway. but dont tell the pearls or ira

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
03-19-24 07:15 AM - Post#365824    

I enjoyed the heck out of Yale beating Baylor.

I feel like a slow tempo and few turnovers committed will give the Elis a decent chance. The shooting guards will have to cash in, and probably Poulikadis will have to create a couple of his own shots to do it. An uphill battle but not requiring a miracle.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 07:57 AM - Post#365826    

i agree with this.

you have to limit to's, control the pace, battle on the boards hard annoy them with longer possessions and hit timely shots.

they have good guards and a lot of them but they arent particularly big just quick and strong. they can shoot the 3 and are built for runs if you cant handle pace

you hope wolf stays out of foul trouble bc its not just broome down there. you likely need to give aletan some minutes against their backup center if wolf does or maybe anyway.
i dont like the 3/4 matchups. the dominican kid has ignited more runs than i care to remember when i have watched them
auburn doesnt have a lot of weakness and they arent positionally "heavy" like az

problem: you have to do a lot of things well and they can shoot the 3 ball
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-19-24 11:03 AM - Post#365834    

Some things that make me feel better about the matchup, in no particular order:

I think analytics systems tend to overrate good teams that play uptempo, and Auburn is one such team. Teams like that get a lot of turnovers for easy layups and get more possessions against bad teams, which gooses their offensive numbers. Yale doesn't turn the ball over much and has ball handlers at all five spots, which will help limit that sort of thing.

When there's a clash of tempos, the team that can control the tempo gives itself an advantage, and a team that plays slow has more of a say in the matter than a team that plays fast does.

Auburn hasn't exactly been tremendous away from home this year. Their best win out of Alabama before the SEC Tournament was @KP87 Ole Miss.

Fast teams sometimes have a tendency to be a bit undisciplined, and some of Auburn's number support the idea that they might be too. For example, they're 60th in the country at OREB%, but they're only 234th in DRB%. They're also one of the most foul-prone teams in the country and send their opponents to the line a lot. (Of course, making free throws has been something of an adventure for Yale lately, but still.)

Danny Wolf is a challenge to guard. Obviously teams in the league have managed to challenge him pretty well, but it might be harder to do for a team putting together a scout on two days notice with max 2 practices to implement it. We've got some evidence that this is the case too - look at what he did against Hunter Dickinson, who's the best big Yale faced all year by a long shot.

I may have to watch the game on tape delay, since my fiancée is coming to visit Friday evening, but I think the Bulldogs can give a good account of themselves on Friday, and if things go well, they could even win the darn thing.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32877
03-19-24 11:05 AM - Post#365835    

Wait a minute---this is the girl you're going to marry and she's not going to watch Yale in the NCAA's live with you?
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-19-24 11:14 AM - Post#365838    

Ha! She actually did suggest that we do so, but we'll see.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 11:46 AM - Post#365842    

iggy makes some good points.

i should clarify on the 3/4 point. i dont love who we have to defend there. their 4 is good and stronger than broome. in some ways hes the 5 on offense and broome is the 4. but they are tough on that side and broome alters shots.
the 3 can be a lightning bolt and is long.

AU has a hell of a homecourt advantage though and they used it.

i love that its in spokane actually. long a--ss way away. our kids might enjoy the charter flight.

bruce pearl wont.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 03:49 PM - Post#365867    

i asked gemini what he/she thinks:

what is the best way to defend auburn mens basketball

Auburn's strength lies in their dominant frontcourt with Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams. Here are some strategies teams have used to try and defend them:

Limit interior scoring: This seems obvious, but it's crucial. Teams have tried

Double-teaming Broome: This can be risky though, as it can leave open shooters on the perimeter.
Playing a zone defense: This can help clog the paint and make it harder for Broome to get deep position. However, Auburn's shooters can exploit weaknesses in the zone.
Matchup problems: Exploit mismatches if your team has size on the wing. If not,

Force switches: This can put smaller defenders on Williams or Broome, making it tougher for them to score in the post. However, Auburn's guards are capable scorers as well.
Perimeter defense: Don't give open threes. Auburn shoots the three well, so contesting shots and limiting their attempts from deep is important.

Overall gameplan:

Transition defense: Limit easy baskets in transition. Auburn loves to get out and run, so slow them down and get set defensively.
Turnovers: Force turnovers to disrupt their rhythm and limit scoring opportunities.

what is auburns biggest weakness?
While Auburn is a strong team overall, one of their potential weaknesses is their three-point shooting.

Here's why:

Statistics: While they are not a bad three-point shooting team, they aren't elite either. Currently, they rank around #37 nationally in three-point percentage (SI Auburn Basketball Firmly Inside Top 10 of KenPom Ratings: https://www.si.com/college/auburn/basket ball/aubur...
Offensive Reliance: Their offense is very balanced, but if their inside dominance with players like Broome and Williams is shut down, they might need to rely more on the three-point shot. Inconsistency from deep could hurt them in those situations.
It's important to note that this is just a potential weakness, and they can still be very successful even if their three-point shooting isn't lights out. Their strong defense and ability to score inside are their main strengths.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-19-24 03:58 PM - Post#365868    

With "weaknesses" like these, who needs strengths?

• james Said:

Perimeter defense: Don't give open threes. Auburn shoots the three well, so contesting shots and limiting their attempts from deep is important.

what is auburns biggest weakness?
While Auburn is a strong team overall, one of their potential weaknesses is their three-point shooting.

Currently, they rank around #37 nationally in three-point percentage (SI Auburn Basketball Firmly Inside Top 10 of KenPom Ratings: https://www.si.com/college/auburn/basket ball/aubur...

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 05:57 PM - Post#365872    

haha.

what is being given short shrift and why i fear auburn is their depth.
they can send waves of guys at you with little drop off.
frankly most impressive power team i have seen this year in that regard.
yales response (assuming no foul trouble) is to put less experienced bigs beyond townsend and less offensive which isnt a good recipe.
assuming we handle the onslaught and control to's and fouls this concerns me a ton and probably is why vegas sees it this way.
lastly iggy mentioned home/away but if you look at torvik auburn is ranked pretty high on both neutral/away. so thats an issue also.

iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-19-24 06:13 PM - Post#365874    

Yeah, I mean you can't argue that Auburn isn't good. But I think their numbers are goosed by the extremely unimpressive bottom half of the SEC, against whom they got most of those games.

To put it in perspective, Auburn did not win a game away from home against a team ranked higher in KenPom than Yale until the SEC tourney.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 06:18 PM - Post#365875    

stephen pearl just said yale's starting 5 is good enough to be 8-10 in the sec.
"it drops off after that"

he said danny wolf's handle is maybe something he has never seen for a "white kid at his size"

ok.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 06:23 PM - Post#365876    

for the record, i like stephen. he is doing the yale scout. he also said some complimentary stuff abt mbeng, mahoney and poulikidas (hes chris moore playing the 4 for them)

bruce said "august mahoney might be the best 3 point set shooter in the country."

some compliments. some back handed ones potentially. and some realistic statements all in one
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 06:28 PM - Post#365877    

auburn left today for spokane to get adjusted as did bama and charleston-all in the east region.

appears yale players will go to the library during their spring break today and head out 48 hrs prior despite the charter.

oh vey
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-19-24 06:33 PM - Post#365878    

flights from Atl (1.45 hrs from Auburn) to spokane today are $1,300 round trip for economy comfort.
moved a bit in the overnight.

we played the gonzaga tournament in the 90s and had some support. and i know some guys on the left coast headed up. so hopefully can make a little noise if warranted.

auburn team is planning on being on the road through their game against uconn thursday week in boston.
take from that what you may
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
03-19-24 08:11 PM - Post#365887    

A little overconfidence from the favorite is to be welcomed. The players may pick it up from the coaches.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-20-24 12:26 AM - Post#365899    

congrats to samford who now gets kansas without mccullar.
samford was good in the soco. line shld move
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-20-24 05:28 PM - Post#365921    

ok, listened to a sane sec podcast that uses analytics to some degree.

more balanced but why they think auburn covers the spread:
team is hot. taking less bad 3s
auburn fouls a lot bc it can given its bench. yale doesnt get many fts
yale isnt deep enough. they believe casey simmons is out for the game
yale gets its points from 2. auburns strong suit. said south carolina is point in case. broome and co shut them down
also said that the teams yale plays that turn you over-cornell, fairfield and weber st. yale had a poor record against

didnt mention much personel more high level stats
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-20-24 07:08 PM - Post#365924    

I found myself with a little spare time today and I thought it would be fun to write a little primer on Yale for any Auburn fans who might come looking. Here's what I came up with:

Starting 5:
PG - Bez Mbeng
A pacy floor general with quick twitch instincts. He was the Ivy League DPOY this year, and he did a very capable job of it down the stretch. (Before you scoff, the IL had several guards who would absolutely start for just about anyone at the P5 level.) He's an excellent driver, and recently he's looked to drive for assists rather than for his own shot. He's got a tight handle and great vision - in his last 6 games, he's had an A/TO ratio of 4 to 1. He can hit a three, but it's not really a go-to thing for him.

Wing - August Mahoney
The captain, he's a heady player who has a sweet stroke from outside. He's 27 of his last 46 from three - over 58% - and many of those were from very deep. He's a capable ball-handler who can both pull up and spot up, and he's got a good floater in his bag too.

Wing - John Poulakidas
He's a dangerous three-level scorer who may well be best when the shot's hard. He's a momentum shooter from deep - if he hits two, he'll probably hit 5 - and he's deadly on the midrange pull-up. He's shown a lot of improvement on defense this year, and he guarded Cornell's first teamer pretty well on Saturday.

PF - Matt Knowling
The unsung hero of the Bulldogs (odd to say about a guy who was first-team all-Ivy last year), he's a crafty 4-man with a point guard's handle and vision and elite touch from 10 feet in. He's got 27 assists and only 4 turnovers since returning from injury in February. As a power forward, I remind you. He's Yale's need-a-basket guy and is no stranger to big moments - he's hit two critical buzzer-beaters in league play when Yale has trailed by 1.

C - Danny Wolf
The guy at the top of the scouting report, he's a legit 7-footer with handles, court vision, and a three-point shot. The NIL scavengers are circling him, and for good reason. He's a capable rebounder and shot blocker, and I can give him no better endorsement than to say that he was the best center on the court when Yale visited Phog Allen. (Yes, really.)

Why Auburn should be concerned:
Yale has threats at all five positions, they're an elite team at both defensive rebounding and holding onto the rock, and The Danny Wolf Problem is not so easy to solve defensively. Yale's offense has had periods where it's looked frighteningly good, and if the shooters are hitting and the ball is moving, it has the potential to be elite. Yale is also a very solid defensive team, which means Auburn is going to have to work hard for everything they want to get on offense.

Why Yale should be concerned:
Yale isn't long on shooting - it has two elite shooters, one good shooter, and nobody else who the scouting report would flag as a serious concern (though sixth man Nick Townsend has proven he can knock one down). This has caused Yale some spacing issues when teams will give a little extra help off of Knowling or Mbeng. Yale also isn't the deepest team out there - granted, this hasn't been a huge problem for the most part, but if Yale has problems with foul trouble, things could get tricky.
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-20-24 07:16 PM - Post#365925    

I suppose that's not ridiculous from an outside perspective. But if they're banking on the same Yale as we saw against Weber State and Fairfield coming out to play on Friday, I dunno what to tell them.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-20-24 08:53 PM - Post#365943    

good job. wish we had another page for the bench but pretty sparse.

hope simmons isnt hurt. i saw him on insta doing some practice stuff
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-20-24 09:57 PM - Post#365978    

princetons look against the rebs at home not so great to the extent thats the reg season champ which it is

60% fg for the game and getting pounded inside on the glass. well auburn is far better than the runnin rebs so theres that to contemplate with a power team

mw is a tough conference but
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-20-24 10:14 PM - Post#365986    

and unlv is injured and had a cross country flight the week 600 kids hit the portal.

yikes. we have different strengths and weaknesses but thats still just not great as an indicator for anyone.

those fg% are halloween scary
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-20-24 10:24 PM - Post#365988    

They did what Brown did to Princeton inside, only better. Princeton really didn't have an answer to their inside game all game long.
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-20-24 10:24 PM - Post#365989    

UNLV also has two true post bigs, who (kind of predictably) beat Princeton up. Lack of size on the interior was always Princeton's weakness, it's just that there aren't really any teams in the league able to take advantage.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-20-24 10:34 PM - Post#365991    

unlv doesnf have johnni broome and jaylin williams or the backups
60% on the road with what i wrote. yikes

really wish aletan got some more minutes lately just for the sake of it even if it was detrimental.

but yes this and providence ilt is why i like brown next year. 5 out ball is fun until it isnt
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-20-24 10:37 PM - Post#365992    

and i like samson aletan as well. will be a beast when uncaged
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-21-24 08:11 AM - Post#366006    

headed to auburn, al for an equestrian match. cruel irony. ex teammate said he'd rather be in spokane (he hates the matchup and worries bc yale cldnt get efficient shots off against brown with ease) than alabama. but he's still going! thats a dig at auburn alabama

i know. seems like a oxymoron. but its actually a cool town as are most SEC campus towns these days. big sports bring in big money and more applicants. reflexive; has changed a lot in 20 years even. wish the ivies noticed and cared but with their endowments dont really have to for now.

i dont like this matchup for the reasons i have cited and agree w my shooting guard.
separately I watched cornell and princeton one because i wanted them to win and make a run for the league and 2)get a feel for our league as a general marker vs the world. case studies are sometimes better than metrics even though you have to adjust for style, location, matchups, etc.

unlike most if not all years you had two teams in the NIT! but we lost both. darn it

so i was disappointed with the scoreboard results for the league. cornell did well without manon and generally looked its part on the road maybe shldve won but certainly had the lead inside 1 minute. they did sacrifice some run for the boards and that didnt work. they got pounded there more than yale could do.
the princeton defense and rebounded got sliced. iggy said it best and i wont repeat.
but if yale cant eat there with princeton 2x --4/5 will be hell at auburn.
and i guess thats why brown flipped the script on all of us.
i dont think the officials did princeton much of a solid in a home game i will say. lastly unlv had some wins also this yr

optimism or not i am wearing my yale basketball polo in hostile territory but maybe thats not tough a day before the game.

we'll see. the fans are rabid down here even when its not football.

go bulldogs! i hope for the best but expect the worst.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32877
03-21-24 08:33 AM - Post#366008    

Good luck. There's little more enjoyable in life than watching your team playing with house money in the lair of the highly favored enemy, as long as your team plays hard. And if you win, it's pure glory.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-21-24 12:24 PM - Post#366015    

Enjoy! A lot of folks picking Auburn to go to the Final Four but a lot of those same people said the same think about Arizona last year. You got 'em right where you want 'em.
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-21-24 03:28 PM - Post#366021    

Funny moment from Coach Jones' press conference: in between all the questions like "sir, this is Tyler Johnson from the Auburn Daily Gazette: when Auburn beats y'all by 80 tomorrow, will you cry bitter tears or just normal ones?" he got one about some players on Auburn whom the questioner described as "instigators." Coach Jones said that Cornell as a team, and Manon and Gray specifically, deserve that same label. Speaks well to the culture Brian Earl has instilled, I think.
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-21-24 06:52 PM - Post#366030    

Two of Auburn's allegedly impressive SEC tournament wins (MSST, USC) aren't looking so good after today. Just adding grist to my hype mill.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-21-24 08:00 PM - Post#366033    

thanks guys.

so no fireworks at the horse show!
but walking arnd downtown bf dinner and i am starting to hear it a little.

one guy just stopped me on st and asked me if i played. i said (bracing for the worst, most think i played football given i am north of 3 bills) yes. what are you doing in auburn? long story...then he said tell me abt danny wolf

crazy w big power schools in small towns how rabid and pervasive they are. look forward to hopping on 85 and heading back to atl.

fwiw this guy said a number of fans heading out and reason tickets were so expensive out of atl- 3 alabama schools in same spokane pod. i failed to notice that.
man i hope we play as well as we can
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-21-24 08:02 PM - Post#366034    

also fwiw i listened to a couple auburn pods and they compare us to s carolina. looks up scores, oops. msu in sec tourney was a rock fight tho
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-21-24 10:02 PM - Post#366044    

can we get a transfer from hillsdale college w range tonight?
#workthed2portal
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:40 PM - Post#366098    

Not a good start for Yale, just cannot handle Auburn's size or length right now.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:43 PM - Post#366099    

Luckily for Auburn they have a deep bench. One guy just got kicked out of the game (Flagrant 2, just a totally needless act) and another is out with an ankle injury at the moment.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:46 PM - Post#366100    

Yale has nicely hung in there, thanks to outside shooting from the usual suspects.

Wolf has had to tread gingerly after picking up a foul in the first minute of the game. He has impressed the broadcasters with his moves, but so far has not been able to connect with any of his shots.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-22-24 04:47 PM - Post#366101    

Yale took a punch and is still standing. 12-10 at the break. Go Bulldogs!
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:48 PM - Post#366102    

Yep, at 10-2 it looked very dicey early.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:50 PM - Post#366103    

Well, Williams (ankle inury) has returned and scored.

Wolf takes off his mask and gets hit in the face.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:51 PM - Post#366104    

Poulakidis at a chance for a 4 point play, long range bombing by him and Mahoney have been the entire Yale offense so far.

Doesn't get the 4 point play, but a rebound and then another bomb by Mahoney.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:52 PM - Post#366105    

Auburn already with 7 team fouls at the 13:30 mark, Yale only with 2.

That I did not expect.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:55 PM - Post#366106    

Ball pressure by Auburn giving Yale ballhandlers fits in the half court. Just a very tough defense to play against.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 04:56 PM - Post#366107    

Jones trying to tread water with a couple of his starters on the bench.

Auburn up by 1 at the 12 minute media timeout, having been fouled on a 3 point attempt.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:06 PM - Post#366108    

Wolf finally on the board with 8:30 to play in the half.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:08 PM - Post#366109    

28-25 Auburn with a little over 7 to play. Definitely at Yale's pace. Wolf ironically has gotten a lot more physical since taking off his face mask.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:14 PM - Post#366110    

Auburn defense really turning it up a notch of late, causing numerous turnovers and easy layups. Also, got to call time out if you're in danger of the 5 second inbounding time expiring, you have your full complement of time outs.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:21 PM - Post#366111    

Wolf just not getting any luck at the rim, but he is doing a great job setting up his teammates.

36-32 with under 4 to play.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:25 PM - Post#366112    

Mahoney picks up his 3rd foul with 2:21 to go in the half, that's a big play. Jones unhappy.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:29 PM - Post#366113    

Wolf picks up a totally unneeded 2nd foul when an Auburn dunk was all but inevitable there, in the last minute of the half.

7 point Auburn lead at the half.

Too many Yale possessions being interrupted by oppressive Auburn defense.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-22-24 05:31 PM - Post#366114    

Yale's wheels kinda fell off there at the end. Missed some close in shots and had some unforced errors but still only down 7 at the half.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-22-24 05:33 PM - Post#366115    

tos+fouls+ chippeys= no bueno
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:51 PM - Post#366119    

Once again Wolf picks up a foul in the first defensive possession of a half, now with three fouls.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:53 PM - Post#366120    

Finally, a friendly rim for Wolf on a nice drive from beyond the top of the key.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:55 PM - Post#366121    

If Yale manages to win, Poulakidis and Mahoney are huge reasons why. They have been awesome throughout the contest.

Tied at 43.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 05:59 PM - Post#366123    

Oh, how did you miss that dunk? What a feed from Mbang.

Yale up by 1 at the 16 minute media time out.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:04 PM - Post#366124    

Second time today Yale goes to the football bomb to combat an inbound press, and the second time it is successful. Too Mbang could not convert the and 1, that was a high degree of difficulty.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:06 PM - Post#366125    

Boy, the intensity has been ratched up a notch this half, especially on defense, some really fantastic basketball on both ends.

Once again Yale is on the verge of being in the bonus with large stretches of a half left to play.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:08 PM - Post#366126    

Auburn pulls out to a 7 point lead after an alley oop dunk and a wide open 3.

Yale calls time to slow things down.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:13 PM - Post#366128    

Yale really hurting themselves at the FT line today.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:15 PM - Post#366129    

This is a make or break time of the game, Yale in danger of losing contact if they're not careful.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-22-24 06:15 PM - Post#366130    

10/17 at the line and have missed at least two front ends of 1-and-1s.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:21 PM - Post#366131    

Yes, they've had the advantages both halves of getting into the bonus relatively early, but have not really been able to convert those advantages at the line.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:22 PM - Post#366132    

Mbeng gives Auburn a taste of its own fast break medicine with a fantastic pass on said break for the conversion.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:22 PM - Post#366133    

FINALLY Wolf hits from distance.

5 point game, that was huge.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:23 PM - Post#366134    

Wolf was trying to channel his inner Caitlin Clark, but that was just way too far out for him.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:25 PM - Post#366135    

7 point game with 6:32 to play. Yale has done well to keep themselves in it. Less than 10 seconds on its shot clock when the game resumes. Mbeng has had a much better second half, ditto Wolf.

Gharram has made some solid contributions off the bench , too, Very steady influence.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:30 PM - Post#366136    

Wolf's last two 3 point attempts...have not been good.

Mahoney now picks up his 4th foul.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:31 PM - Post#366137    

4 straight Auburn turnovers keeping Yale it in right now, down 6.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:32 PM - Post#366138    

4 straight Auburn turnovers keeping Yale it in right now, down 6.

Poulakidis shoots a 3 that was so close to falling, my goodness.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:36 PM - Post#366139    

Fantastic tough shot by Poulakidis with an Auburn defender draped all over him.

70-66 Auburn at the 4 minute media time out.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:42 PM - Post#366142    

Cmon, they fouled Danny Wolf, the TV commentators are wrong.

And the game is now TIED
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:43 PM - Post#366143    

2:08 to play, Poula put them up one with another THREE.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:45 PM - Post#366144    

MBeng comes up huge with a big offensive board, Yale keeps possession with a 1 point lead, 1:12 to play.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:48 PM - Post#366146    

That was a poor possession coming off of the timeout.

Under a minute to play.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:52 PM - Post#366147    

Now it is Auburn that misses a crucial 1 and 1 at the line after a long replay delay.

Wolf now at the line, 45 seconds left, nails both, Yale up 3.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:53 PM - Post#366148    

Wolf picks up his 5th foul. That hurts.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:55 PM - Post#366149    

33.6 seconds to go. 1 point game, Yale ball. Yale calls its final time out.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 06:59 PM - Post#366150    

Yale up 3, Auburn multiple offensive boards but cannot convert. Gharram now at the line to put them up 4 or 5 with 14.4 seconds left.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 07:01 PM - Post#366151    

1 of 2, but Aletan stupidly fouls a made hoop so Auburn can get it within 1 with 8.7 seconds left.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 07:02 PM - Post#366152    

Does not convert, but a jump ball on the rebound, Tiger possession with 6.8 seconds left, down 2.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 07:02 PM - Post#366153    

Donaldson wide open on the inbounds,Mbeng fouls him.

Yikes.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 07:03 PM - Post#366154    

MISSES THE FIRST ONE.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 07:03 PM - Post#366155    

Oh my lord, what a wild scramble at the end...

YALE WINS

Danny Wolf, Shabbat Shalom!
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-22-24 07:04 PM - Post#366156    

Florida and Auburn both lose.

SEC so overrated.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1348
sparman
03-22-24 07:05 PM - Post#366157    

Great job Yale.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3678
03-22-24 07:05 PM - Post#366158    

The Ivies strike again! Huge congrats on a gutsy win - Poulakidas remains the Yale player I fear the most.

This actually felt a lot like the Arizona game from last year. The Ivy team hanging around until the top seed melted down in the final minutes.

I'm so glad the team that won the ILT repped the league in style. It would have added insult to injury for Yale to lose big. Just this once... GO BULLDOGS. Just don't go further than the Sweet 16, ha.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32877
03-22-24 07:11 PM - Post#366159    

What a great win! There ain’t enough Schmits in Auburn for James!
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
03-22-24 07:11 PM - Post#366160    

If you look at the Auburn message board there is a thread titled “who do we play after we beat Yale.”
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-22-24 07:15 PM - Post#366162    

Congratulations, Yale. You've done us proud! Go Bulldogs!
CrimsonBlood
Freshman
Posts 46
03-22-24 07:20 PM - Post#366163    

Congrats to Yale fans. Great representation of the Ivy League— and what a gutsy game!

Not sure what it is going to take for the tournament to start respecting the Ivy League more… especially after Princeton’s run last year.
iogyhufi
Masters Student
Posts 681
03-22-24 07:34 PM - Post#366164    

So so excited. What a gutsy win, especially with all the foul trouble. Beyond excited right now - and SDSU is very beatable too!
internetter
Postdoc
Posts 3400
03-22-24 07:35 PM - Post#366165    

"Just stay composed," Yale coach James Jones said on CBS after the game. "Do what you were trained to do."
west coast fan

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-22-24 07:36 PM - Post#366166    

iggy you win.
i didnt have beating auburn man up and not playing a perfect game
missed fts u name it
DID NOT MATTER.
gritty
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-22-24 07:37 PM - Post#366167    

and thanks for the posts.

#oneivy against the damn world now
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1348
sparman
03-22-24 07:41 PM - Post#366168    

• james Said:
#oneivy against the damn world now

Actually there is another ivy still playing.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2143
03-22-24 08:30 PM - Post#366172    

Congratulations on the win, and keep it rolling. James Jones is one of the best at making in game adjustments, as far as I'm concerned.
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
03-22-24 08:50 PM - Post#366173    

Ivies now 8-12 in the tournament since 2010, all against teams seven-plus seedlines higher
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
03-22-24 08:51 PM - Post#366174    

From ESPN

Is the Ivy League underappreciated? For the second straight year, the Ivy League champions took down a Power 5 champion in the Round of 64. After Princeton's run to the Sweet 16 as a No. 15 seed last year and, now, Yale's takedown of Auburn, is it worth considering the possibility that the Ivy League doesn't have to be a one-bid league? This Yale team finished in a second-place tie during the regular season behind Princeton, which likely didn't receive much at-large consideration despite losing just three regular season games (and was a No. 2 seed in the NIT before losing to UNLV). Nothing about Yale's win or Princeton's two last year felt fluky in the moment. Perhaps it's just a blip of overachievement, but it shouldn't be a surprise if the academic giants keep finding success in March.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-22-24 09:07 PM - Post#366175    

nana in the portal.

just sucks looking forward
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2143
03-22-24 09:52 PM - Post#366180    

• james Said:
nana in the portal.

just sucks looking forward

That's going to hurt.

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-22-24 10:26 PM - Post#366183    

bez mbeng had 5 steals.

yale had more steals 10 than auburn 6.
incredible

must win different ways in march. fts a problem. unforced tos a problem.
lots of rim outs in IH for wolf.

beat the sec champ. yea the thug got thrown out. finally. he pulls that s--t in every game i have seen this year.
august mahoney has a big career in private equity ahead
protect that asset. thanks refs
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
03-22-24 10:46 PM - Post#366184    

Congratulations to Eli’s on great win. Several other first round upsets suggest that, once again, the Power Five got a few too many spots at the expense of talented teams from “one bid” conferences. Despite my disappointment that Brown dropped the ILT final, Yale was our best representative. But, like the women, the men at least deserved one of the four final play in spots. Unfortunately, given illness, injuries and a short bench, Princeton would likely have done no better than they did at the meaningless NIT.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-22-24 11:31 PM - Post#366186    

let's be honest... brown was a tougher out than auburn. ha

big bodies mattered in that game.

all the bs on samson aletan and the and 1 which was on james by not switching gharram off bc he was shooting the ft
put aletan in tough spot. he shouldve let it go or hacked him
but whatever

kid barely played in ivies. got a goal tend. a couple boards. a tie up when they forced wolf out w 5
and the critical block in the last possesion

he will be such a beast. and his length mattered in this one
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
03-23-24 12:15 AM - Post#366187    

Just watched it on delay after isolating myself from the news. Wow! It happened just according to the scenario I posited several comment pages ago—slow the tempo, limit turnovers (okay not so great but compensated by getting back a ton of Auburn turnovers), guards have to score a lot with Poulakedis creating his own shot some. Did not have Mbrng defensively dominating their PG on my bingo card, but I should have.

Yale is the wrong team to try to bully physically, and Jones’s calm huddles were a beautiful contrast with the yelling and gesticulating for the blue and orange. Auburn short-circuited when Yale wouldn’t fold or back down or stop making plays even after something went wrong.
Charlie Fog
Masters Student
Posts 587
03-23-24 07:30 AM - Post#366198    

Congrats Yale. Way to represent!
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-23-24 08:52 AM - Post#366201    

Great win. The next game will be tough,
but San Diego State has fewer weapons.
"Anything is possible!
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-23-24 09:08 AM - Post#366202    

the 5 on san diego st is a beast i do know. brian dutcher is a great coach.

will have to get a bunch of guys to step up and hit shots and better inside play.

but house money i guess
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32877
03-23-24 09:23 AM - Post#366203    

Because I know how much fun it is to read the newspapers in the opponent's town after a win like this:
https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn /auburn-bas...

james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-23-24 10:08 AM - Post#366204    

yes and x is gold for this.

the kid ( i changed my adjective but see above how i feel abt him w bourbon) was live tweeting from the locker room after getting tossed.

huge backstory on him. auburn fans thought his dirty play was cute pregame. and james was even asked about it at a presser.

oops.

jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
03-23-24 02:19 PM - Post#366241    

I don’t know if you heard about this, but when the Yale band couldn’t travel to Spokane, the university of Idaho band donned Yale colors and represented Yale. They learned the Yale fight songs and the cheerleaders learned the cheers. You watch it on You Tube on “4 news now”.
james
Masters Student
Posts 801
03-23-24 02:29 PM - Post#366243    

it's a great story, thanks.

i do see some yale alums on meta sending beer money and buying "idaho band" t shirts
hopefully that helps those kids out
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
03-23-24 11:17 PM - Post#366290    

It's also easy to dislike Bruce Pearl. There has been trouble at every place he has ever coached.

• james Said:
yes and x is gold for this.

the kid ( i changed my adjective but see above how i feel abt him w bourbon) was live tweeting from the locker room after getting tossed.

huge backstory on him. auburn fans thought his dirty play was cute pregame. and james was even asked about it at a presser.

oops.

Dial Lodge
Sophomore
Posts 170
03-24-24 11:04 AM - Post#366301    

Pearl was a crybaby, crying about the refs throwing out his player, especially since he was retaliating (for an uncalled, minor foul on a previous possession - retaliation isn't allowed in the basketball rulebook I have).

Then the player (I can't remember his name) was tweeting from the locker room during the game. One complained about Yale's trust fund baby that he hit. Didn't realize the school made family asset statements public.

Not a gentlemanly, sportsmanlike group, but what do you expect with Pearl?

I'm from Princeton, but congratulate Yale's team and am rooting for you tonight.
Dial Lodge
Sophomore
Posts 170
03-24-24 02:01 PM - Post#366311    

Thanks for posting this link.

Hard to win a game when you give the other team 31 free throws.

Auburn was not noted for its gentle play, and it caught up to them.

Probably won't get 31 free throws tonight, but hopefully Yale can find a different way to win tonight.

Good luck, Yale.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.135 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:37 AM