Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Muscala Jersey Retirement Ceremony at Sojka
DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
12-12-19 10:41 AM - Post#294537    
    In response to Bison89

In a sport that can only offer 36 numbers to begin with, retiring numbers is not a good tradition to start. It can put future coaches in a difficult position if a highly-touted recruit has a strong affinity for a number that is not available because of someone who played 50 years ago.

I agree that "retiring jerseys" isn't the answer either ... confusing to most. The Dallas Cowboys haven't retired one number. Rather, they honor their all-time greats in their Ring of Honor. It seems to me a better way to distinguish your all-time special players from your Hall of Fame players. If you want to hang the jersey in the ring of honor, I'd be cool with that. In Bucknell's case, I think it's fun to see the evolution of our color usage in jerseys over the years.

Before it gets too far down the road, the admin may want to develop some type of standard. Jen Walz was the women's program first great scorer, but I don't know that her career is more distinguished than several men's and women's players from the last decade. No questions about Leslie, Muscala and Molly Creamer, IMO.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.245 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:41 AM