Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Macro Recruiting Question
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
09-30-20 04:00 PM - Post#314296    
    In response to SomeGuy

Also, while I won't say that Penn has the same academic reputation as HYP, I think you are all living in the past when there was a more meaningful gap. The school made giant strides under Judith Rodin and somewhat under Gutmann. This current generation views Penn as elite, as they should. It is not an Ivy safety school and it is not the school ranked in the 30's as it was in the 90's. It is perennially top 10. Several programs such as M&T are viewed as the most exclusive programs in the country. I heard some HS kids remarking recently how it is viewed as more selective and elite than HYP, Stanford, MIT, and CalTech.

A bunch of us old timers need to re-frame our old views, as times have changed. Reputations that were locked in stone for generations are changing. USC is becoming a very highly sought after academic school (Varsity Blues as evidence), whereas we never thought that in the past generations. Penn is right there in the mix with HYP for today's kids - or at least with a gap that's small enough not to matter as much as how the school fits for what they want to study. Penn's basketball merits would seem more than enough to tip the scales for a basketball student-athlete. The main tipping point that you hear about from recruits again and again is the relationship they are able to build with coaches and the team during recruiting and the vision they create for the students' future at the school and beyond.

I am not well versed enough in the nuance of the athletic recruiting. I did get the sense that Gutmann was not quite as supportive of athletics in her early days from speaking with a Penn professor or two. I have no idea if that is the case today. I don't think she was intentionally unsupportive. She just didn't see the point of all of it. My wife agrees with that viewpoint. I... spend time on a Penn Basketball forum.

Edited by Penndemonium on 09-30-20 04:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.581 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:16 PM