Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-02-21 09:05 PM - Post#318465    
    In response to penn nation

Yeah, I’m sympathetic to the “paternalism” argument for a variety of reasons (reading behavioral ec, finding some tenets of libertarianism interesting, having interactions with folks of a political persuasion, etc.).

As PN says, though, in matters where one’s decisions directly impact those around them and society at large, I’m not as sure that paternalism applies - at least as a pejorative to be avoided.

People have obviously taken a variety of approaches to this virus. Some have ignored it entirely, others have begrudgingly taken precautions they’ve been forced to do, while others have happily taken precautions but kept mobility up, and others have stayed away from most indoor locations except when forced to, etc. Regardless of what each person’s opinion is of those approaches, I’d hope we can all agree, as a matter of fact, that the more risk a person takes, the more likely it is that they will create a new vector that ultimately in that vector chain could lead to someone’s death.

I think it is that simple fact that is driving different decision makers to make different decisions much more than it is spite about athletics or laziness. And I think we should respect those decisions rather than defaulting to conspiracy theories.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:21 AM