Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: NCAA: Beginning of the End?
Condor 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
07-25-21 09:13 AM - Post#325488    
    In response to dperry

There are many moving parts to this discussion. However, let’s agree on the following:

1) The current realignment is all being driven by football.
2) The NIL will allow all college athletes to monetize their sports celebrity. (Ok, I might be the only one who believes this)
3) The Ivy League already gives preferential treatment for admissions to legacies, the wealthy, the famous, and athletes.
4) The Ivy League will continue to limit its scholarships to financial need.

Unless the member colleges of the Power conferences see it in their interest to eliminate the smaller schools from their Basketball spectrum, then I do not see things changing that much for college basketball. The success of March Madness only serves to limit change. Since football may steal some of the NIL money from basketball, it might even help the smaller conference teams.

As for the Ivy League, I doubt they proactively change anything. Provided the Ivy League can continue to assuage the forces against athletics by foregoing merit scholarships, I think they will ignore any money generated outside their control. After all, Harvard is paying Amaker a hefty sum through outside funding, and no one had a problem with YoY o Ma’s or Jodie Foster’s outside earnings. Hypocrisy has always been a part of the Ivy tradition. Unless you believe that the Power schools will squeeze out the non-Power schools in basketball, then the NIL might actually benefit the Ivy League with realignment a non-factor.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.254 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:49 AM