dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
12-03-21 10:25 PM - Post#330537    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Ya think Temple and a good number of other 1-A schools really meet that attendance requirement? The only thing the NCAA ever enforced was the stadium requirement. And there was time in which the Ivies could have met that requirement.

But in any event, the point is that the move to 1-AA has absolutely nothing to do with the refusal to play in the playoffs.

The Ivies (and some others) were expelled from I-A because at the time, the NCAA had complete control over football TV money, and the big schools didn't want to share with us. That regime started falling apart literally within two years; nowadays, the behemoths like the SEC and the Big 10 keep their revenue streams all to themselves and therefore don't feel as much resentment against the smaller guys. If the previous system was still in place, I'm pretty sure the MAC's, Sun Belts, Temples, and UConn's of the world would have been demoted long ago. That being said, our reasons for being in I-AA are not an excuse for failing to participate fully in it. Once again, the academic argument is hooey: spring practice, the basketball tournament, and the lacrosse tournament all individually cost the league as a whole more academic time than the football playoffs ever will, much less with all of them put together; there are plenty of sports in both the fall and spring that bleed into exams; if the Patriot League can do it, so can we. It's a combination of arrogance and fear of both football in general and of looking bad to allegedly inferior schools.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.581 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:57 PM