Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Dingle Transferring Continuation Thread
SteveDanley 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-25-12
05-14-23 09:20 PM - Post#356306    
    In response to Cvonvorys

@cvonvorys appreciate the shout out -- though it's worth noting I'm now 16 years out, there's been multiple coaching changes, and I haven't really been close with a guy on the team since Fran Dougherty left. I'm getting old with everyone else.

I wouldn't put much weight into anything players are told during recruitment -- you pretty much have to tell guys they're a top choice to get guys to come. I had schools tell me I was their #1 big, then never offer. Penn was clear I was a prioritized recruit -- though in hindsight part of that was likely my AI. Apparently Coach Duke (who I adore) used to say "love danley, but you could lock him alone in the gym with a ball and he still wouldn't score" while they were recruiting me. I had no idea they were also recruiting Pettinella and we basically competed for minutes until he transferred -- and they thought Zoller was a 3. Recruiting is a weird thing.

I'd be very surprised if Penn didn't have higher ranked recruits on their board that the staff is missing on. That doesn't mean they don't like the guys they get -- just that in an ideal class those guys might be the 3rd or 4th guy and there'd be more guys like AJ (highly recruited, ready to contribute early). That's the case for almost every coaching staff everywhere, I think. Maybe this staff is high on the players coming in -- but I, personally, don't think we have brought in enough difference-makers. I can't imagine that's a super hot take.

But I'm by no means an insider these days. I say hi to the staff when I'm around, and catch a few games (in person or ESPN+). Get along well with them all and want to see them win.

I will say this -- I (again with no inside info) thought it likely Dingle would leave from the start of the season. Mostly just because the NIL and Europe money is so good for top guys -- and it's so common for guys to move (I've just lived through the Hunter Dickenson attention -- he's a DeMatha guy, where I'm a little more connected). But also because everyone dreams of playing in the tourney/Final Four -- you only get a few bites at that apple.

A million opportunities in my life (professionally, personally) that I can fail at or miss, then just get back up and try again -- but I played (poorly) in three NCAA losses and those were the only shots I'd ever get. It's just a unique thing.

I hope Dingle has a fun run with St. Johns, that Penn treats him right if he tries to find a way to get a degree, and that his decisions work out financially over the short and long run.

Edited by SteveDanley on 05-14-23 09:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.123 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:29 AM