Username Post: 2024 Recruiting
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
08-16-23 08:43 PM - Post#357620    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
How does he compare to Brown?

I assume you are asking me, even though I have no qualifications and direct knowledge of these players other than my diligent YouTube video ratings. Well then, I'll drop my real-world work right now to try to answer!

Apparently both Lower Merion and Malvern Prep were upper tier teams in their conferences. I would guess that the Central League is the tougher conference, as it includes larger public schools. Lower Merion is probably most famous for Kobe Bryant. I think an upper tier Central League / PIAA 6A team usually is better than an upper tier Interac team. The difficulty is that the Interac sometimes has some very spiky good teams. Even though the schools are generally smaller, they can recruit when they want to win. The Interac has had very strong teams in certain cycles. Other years, the average league team can be fairly unimpressive. I also saw some video that suggests Malvern Prep actually beat Lower Merion in some sort of outdoor tournament.

Brown was one of the top contributors to a very good PIAA 6A team. He shoots well and is both a scorer and facilitator. I love his video. I see a mix of Andy Toole in his ability to flow downstream and Jeff Schiffner in the ways he can shoot and make the three (40%). He seems to be a high IQ player who has set moves to create his offense. He needs to be able to defend and make good decisions at the next level. He seems like a taller and stronger Clark Slajchert.

Williams was the top scorer in the Interac, I think even as a sophomore. That is quite an accomplishment. I haven't seen stats on efficiency, but I assume he has to be a good three point shooter given he has mentioned shooting as his particular strength. In his video, I see a smooth shooter with a reasonably fast release. He seemed more slippery than shifty in his ability to create offense. He looks like he is still growing and could get quite a bit taller and stronger. I see Jonah Charles in him.

I would rate Brown as more ready contribute based on current skill sets, but that is mainly because Williams' doesn't seem to have enough video that shows the breadth of his skills. I can define Brown's skills and role better. The Penndemonium HS video rankings rates Brown higher than the other recruiting websites. Meanwhile, Williams is hard to gauge. Clearly he can play, and someone scoring at his level in the Interac should have a strong role in the Ivies. I'm not exactly sure if he will be a 1, 2, or 3 in college. The video I watched made me think he may need to get stronger first, and grow into a college 3. It's harder to project tweeners in the Ivy League, as their contributions depend more on the players' complementary team members and styles.

In sum, I would take Brown over Williams, but my margin of prediction error is high.

How was that?

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:25 AM