Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Rankings, Ratings and Polls
sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
01-13-24 01:17 PM - Post#361630    
    In response to TigerFan

No argument about the potential usefulness of prior NCAA success, but I think Gonzaga and Princeton are apples and oranges when it comes to extra invites.

KenPom has Gonzaga #27, Tigers #52. Gonzaga has wins over several P5 conference teams, even if they are mediocre (with possibility of one more - Kentucky - though unlikely), Tigers have one and won't get any more in regular season. Gonzaga has multiple years of high-level NCAA tournament wins since 1998, including many Elite 8 and Sweet 16 performances, Princeton has one.

Gonzaga is now being dismissed as an at-large team by at least some bracket makers - see https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/ne ws/... and https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-baske tba...

If Tigers lose any games going forward, it will be to a team ranked no higher currently, and almost certainly considerably lower, than Gonzaga just lost to (Yale 108, Santa Clara 109, with the next highest ivy Penn at 165) unless Gonzaga loses to one of the poor WCC teams. So, IMO Tigers probably will be more adversely affected ratings-wise by a loss than Gonzaga.

I know some people, such as at espn, have been talking them up and perhaps that sentiment will prevail, but until it happens I am very dubious.

In the meantime, let's win the games and, as you say, enjoy the team.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.172 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:07 AM