Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Its the small things
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-02-24 03:56 PM - Post#364281    
    In response to nychoops

• nychoops Said:
Stu's numbers as always are telling, thank you. What they say is a failure to match Cornell's half time adjustments, a trend all season. Saw an earlier post this week i had a hard time ignoring blaming Jordan and Martz for bailing on team and it was their fault for this season. The ignorance of that from SO many levels is disturbing unfortunate and ignorant beyond comprehension. This team is so poorly coached it's actually was used against them in a the recruitment of a kid i help. Don't know what else i can say that i haven't already... the kids are good kids, hard working kids, but they, and all future Penn players are not being put in a situation to succeed...these are absolute facts.

NYCHoops-With respect Stu's numbers are not about halftime adjustments against Cornell, they are about a team that ranks 300+ over a season (and multiple seasons) on defense. They lost to Cornell because they gave up 87 points (53 in the second half).

You have consistently criticized this coaching staff, much of which is warranted given the results, but this post is more based on your inherent (and understandable) bias against Steve Donahue and his staff.

To be clear, Donahue has not done a good job recruiting new players and keeping old ones and that's the ultimate source of these issues. But your criticisms, which started with recruiting deficiency, have morphed to bad in game coaching, which I don't think is a majority view among experts who know Donahue. Bruce Pearl offered Donahue the associate HC role at Auburn at the same time Donahue was offered the HC job at Penn. He spoke glowingly about SD in the press before their game this year. He is not alone, I have spoken to a number of college coaches and I consistently hear high praise for Donahue as an in game coach and strategist. So my data doesn't support your view of him as a coach, but we are certainly in agreement of him as a recruiter. The problem is when you don't recruit well, it can look like your strategy is deficient.

And I would argue recruiting is the biggest part of the current issues in the program. We don't have players that can defend straight line drives or protect the rim. That's about athleticism and lateral quickness more than strategy.

My view is, and has been, that the Penn staff are not aggressive enough on the recruiting trail but Steve is actually a pretty highly regarded in game coach.

Edited by PennFan10 on 03-02-24 03:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.355 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:10 AM