Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy NIL strategy?
TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
03-30-24 02:26 PM - Post#366744    
    In response to CM

CM, it may be time for you to pick your favorite Power-5 conference team and move on. I just don't see Ivy League institutions fundamentally changing how they provide financial aid. Nor do I think they should!

As much as I will always harbor dreams of the Tigers reliving the 1998 team's national rankings and exposure and the 2023 teams incredible run to the Sweet Sixteen (or why not the Final Four?!), what made those years magical to me was the "against all odds," (no scholarships!), nature of the run.

I also suggest that folks take a peek at your favorite Ivy's online Financial Aid Estimator and play with the numbers a little before making assertions about the impact that NIL would have on financial aid packages. You might be surprised with how generous the packages are these days and how much a high-performing athlete could "net" on NIL vs. Financial Aid.

Princeton now provides 100% financial aid coverage (entirely with grants, not loans) for families with parent's AGI up to $100,000. According to my review of the online estimator, a student making $50k (from NIL or any other source) from a family with parental AGI at $100k and $50k in non-retirement investments would lose $8,000 off their financial aid package (netting $42k). A student earning $100k from NIL (or any other source) from such afamily would lose $21k of their financial aid package (netting $79k).

Students at Princeton with parental AGI of $150k and $50k in non-retirement investments now only pay $15k to attend Princeton. A student earning $100k through NIL (or any other source), with such parents would only lose about $30k of financial aid (netting up around $70k).
I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the impact of NIL would diminish with increasing family income about $150k.

Will Ivy players secure those kinds of NIL payments? I don't know (although there are rumors on the always dependable internet machine that X. Lee may have a big deal). My point is that if such offers are to be had, such funds won't all be offset by reduced financial aid.

Call me Pollyanna, but I don't think the world is coming to an end. The Ivy League ranked out as the #12 highest rated conference for men's basketball in 2023-24--one of the best performances in YEARS. I don't see the league suddenly plunging to D3 any time soon.

Go Tigers!

Edited by TigerFan on 03-30-24 02:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.15 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:24 AM