American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Zack Crimmins
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
07-19-06 10:36 PM - Post#21191    
    In response to Brian Martin

Interesting info. With Kentucky involved, I'm surprised the boosters weren't offering $20,000 in small bills.

It is important to remember that NCAA rules about the conduct of boosters are directed at contact of any kind with a player or that player's relatives. As I posted above, the basic NCAA rule on boosters says, in its entirety, that "in-person recruiting contact by boosters is prohibited, as are written (including electronic correspondence) and telephonic communications with THE PROSPECT AND THE PROSPECT'S RELATIVES.

As far as I have been able to determine, both from reading the rules and as the father of a recruited D1 athlete, there are no specific rules about contact with coaches. In any case, however, it is always wise to err on the side of caution if you're not sure of the rules. There is no rule at all against exchanging posts with a coach on a message board, as has been done here, but to go a lot further and pursue an in-person contact with that coach would probably not be wise (although not expressly prohibited either). And, as can be seen with the MySpace article, ANY contact of any kind with the athlete or his/her relatives is a no-no. (Although the rule about contact with parents of players on message boards has been violated MANY times - Duke for example.)

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.008 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:20 AM