Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Fire ND!
Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
04-10-20 04:07 PM - Post#306120    
    In response to MrPhillie

Mr Phillie...no problem with your last line, but the sample size isn't one season. For perspective and with respect to your question one can look at Fran O'Hanlon's career at Lafayette. He's been there for 26 years with a career W-L% of .457. In 2014 and 2019 he won 61% of his games. In the four years (2015-18) sandwiched in between, he won 29% of his games. Was he a good coach in 2014 that became a crappy coach in the years '15-'18 and became a good coach again in 2019? I can't answer that question or the question of whether he should have been fired in the period where he lost over 70% of his games but I can tell you that he didn't use the "high octane" offense in '14, the CYO offense in "15-'18 and then revert back to the "HO" offense this past year. How long do you want me to keep typing (i.e., want to evaluate the absurdity of Steve Donahue at Penn's career over last 19 years?). Clearly he wasn't a "good" coach that became a "bad" that became a "good" coach again. When Rick Pitino was an assistant at Hawaii and was offered the job as head coach at Boston U Howard Garfinkel (RIP) told him it was a "graveyard" and not to take it. Rick took it because he was an exceptional coach. Like anything in life none of these situations are exactly black and white. As a CEO, I don't "knee-jerk" and start cleaning house every time there's a rough patch in my business. First, it's not fair and second it;s not a formula for success. Nate's a big kid and he will either be successful and move up or be unsuccessful and be forced to move on. Situations like O'Hanlon's are becoming less and less common. I appreciate the maturity of your post and am only taking the sensibly contrarian position that some of the hyperbole here would be out of place even in the BC/Donahue context. In the Bucknell context it is absolutely shocking. Where's BC now...they're in exactly the same situation with Jim Christian (who's a good coach but will probably get let go).

Rule 62..."don't take yourself so #%$@ seriously"
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.402 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:16 AM