Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ranking the 2021 Recruits
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-09-20 12:53 PM - Post#316258    
    In response to mrjames

Thanks. Always appreciate the thoughts and additional info.

A couple of thoughts/responses: I fully recognize the Pitcher bucket may be in the wrong spot. In addition to the recruiting sites playing catch up, Pitcher himself may come on with a focus on basketball. To put it in Penn terms/comps, both Jeff Shiffner and Antonio Woods developed a lot once they focused on basketball (which happened a lot later than for most recruits). The one warning sign for me is the lack of wins last year. The majority of successful Ivy players were pretty big winners in high school. Of course, that may or may not say much of anything about Pitcher.

On the Penn guys, I wouldn’t be surprised if Smith is the best of the group, either.

In regard to Cooley and Erold, admittedly they are difficult to place. Going by public offers that I know of (none), they go where they are. But Cooley in particular is very highly rated in NERR. Sometimes it is meaningful when the offers don’t match the ranking. For example, I would guess that Cornell’s NMH freshman Ervin was viewed as too small to be successful at the next level, despite being a much better NMH player than, say, Jack Molloy. So he got a pretty high NERR rank that didn’t necessarily match his recruitment. Cooley is different because he appears to have division 1 size. Harder to guess what the disconnect might be ( if there is a disconnect at all — could just be that I don’t know his offers). Anyway, the reason Cooley and Erold are at the top of their bucket is because of those NERR rankings. Could be that the top of that bucket should be well ahead of everyone in the bucket directly above, and a few in the Ivy/Patriot bucket.

On the general underrating of New England recruits, I tend to view this the opposite way — I think you have a tendency to underrate non-New England recruits (at least the ones who don’t choose Harvard). I think this particularly leaves you underestimating Penn’s classes. I think you were too down on the Wang/Washington and Dingle/Martz classes as a result. Not sure if you were too down on Slatch and Latch, or if it’s that we didn’t get a big, but those guys should both be very good fits at Penn.

Finally, on the 2020 kids who could now be in this class, I believe Gharram, Buyukhanli, and Christensen. Maybe Reynolds for Columbia? To me, only Gharram would go in one of the top buckets.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.24 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:28 AM