Username Post: Bison Basketball: "On This Date"
NoMoney89 
Freshman

Reg: 01-17-18
01-27-21 03:55 PM - Post#319827    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
I haven't been posting all of these - and a lot are definitely worth reading - but I thought this today's was interesting:

"OTD in 1945, Bucknell beat Villanova 46-34 at Davis Gym in a game that was described as "rough-and-tumble" by The Bucknellian. Many fouls were called, and the two captains were ejected after squaring off in a fistfight. Ed Netski made 3 big 4th-quarter FGs to lead BU to the win."

Here are links to all of them:

Men's Basketball

Women's Basketball

No wonder early basketball players were called "cagers". They might have been good MMA fighters!

BTW, here is an explanation on the origin of the term "cagers". Fighting for out of bound balls must have been something to see, especially when the spectators got involved.

https://jessebrowns.com/2016/03/know-term-cag er-re...

I jokingly referred this OTD to another friend as maybe where Bill Raftery coined the phrase "it was a real rock fight"
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.284 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:01 AM