Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: New 2021 Recruiting Thread
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-18-21 04:34 PM - Post#320966    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

MJ used to give us direct insight into the spirit and preparation of the team and we used to all give him encouragement before games. He didn't give inside information on recruiting or strategy, but it was fun to lob in our support and occasionally even sneak in a suggestion. It was great to think that players felt our direct support for the team.

I think this was back in the predecessor board, which was usenet based. We eventually bumped the entire group to here.

I can't remember exactly what set him off. I think someone questioned the team's effort in a game, and he argued back about it. The poster (who was also a great board member) refused to back down on their opinions. MJ decided he had better things to do with his time and left the board angry... forever. The other person also eventually left the board with hurt feelings on some matter. All of them were just defending their opinions and none were wrong. I don't recall any "over-the-line" comments back then. Still, is winning the battle worth it? This board has been devalued by losing the vibrant participation of Asia (sometimes still posts), Howard, MJ, and others. If mrjames and nychoops stop posting, that will take away 40-60% of why I sign in at all. Some people left angry and others were just withered tired of it.

I understand why MJ was sensitive even if the comments weren't "over the line." I'd hate to read a spectator's view of what I do at work every day. I think someone argued that he shouldn't be on the board if he was going to be so defensive or sensitive. C'mon. We all lost that day.

Forgot to add - MJ posted under his own full name in those days.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
  • Quote:
This includes Michael Jordan, who most of us respect in both mind and character.

Wait, Jordan used to post here? I honestly don't remember that. I do remember Steve Danley popping in from time to time. Those were some great posts.

And if you're out there, Howard Gensler, please come home. We miss you.

Edited by Penndemonium on 02-18-21 04:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.128 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:56 PM