Username Post: Women's Basketball Recruiting 2021
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-21-21 11:08 AM - Post#321070    
    In response to nitlion

• nitlion Said:
Pa has been playing all Winter sports, Basketball, wrestling, Swimming, Volleyball,played Fall and I would expect, Spring outdoor sports would all happen. State Championships have all also gone on, sometimes is a different Venue, for example Bucknell is not hosting PIAA Swimming, moved to a high school facility.

It should be noted that PA has not been playing normal schedules in any sport. The earliest start date for any winter sport, for example, was January. Thus teams either have played a lot less games or else barely practiced. Lewisburg HS basketball, for example, is playing more games than they are having practices. Fun for the kids, I guess, but the product must be poor and player development has to be low.

As for swimming, they did have a lot of discussions with the PIAA about hosting but there were a couple of insurmountable obstacles related to the vast number of people who attend the event. First, under PA state social distancing rules, the Bucknell facility couldn't begin to accommodate all of the spectators. Normally they manage by only allowing relatives of kids swimming in a given event to be in the spectator area while everyone else is sequestered in Sojka (or Davis Gym). But even that wouldn't have worked this year. Secondly, the state meet is always held during the Bucknell spring break. But this year there is no spring break and thus thousands of cars on campus. The traffic/parking issues would have been about like pre-covid Manhattan at 5 PM on a Friday. I'm not sure but I think there may also have been an issue with Bucknell possibly being possibly legally liable if there was a covid outbreak - a distinct possibility with that many people herded together - many of them older adults.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.277 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:27 AM