American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Third Anniversary of the greatest comeback in Bison history
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-27-21 01:56 PM - Post#321232    
    In response to MrPhillie

Steve, I just realized you were a freshman when Colgate suffered what I think was the worst loss in PL history. Specifically when they led AU by two points with 0.2 seconds left and AU inbounding 94 feet away from their offensive basket. With that little time left, of course, by rule they weren't allowed any controlled shot or tip, only what the rules describe as a "tap of a pass".

So if CU just had their players stay by the bench and watch, they had well over a 99% chance of a win. But instead they fell for the oldest trick in the book in the final seconds of a game when a team needs to go 94 feet, i.e. sneaking in a player to set up a screen next to the defender guarding the inbound pass and then having the inbounder suddenly run the baseline to try to create a foul when the defender runs into the screener. I've seen teams run that play about 200 times but only seen it work once, i.e. that afternoon in Hamilton. The refs hate to call it and usually swallow their whistles - but in this case it appeared that Kyle Chones tried to level the screener and they did blow the whistle. That sent a 91% FT shooter to the line at the other end, and of course he made both shots to sent the game to OT, where a CU loss seemed inevitable.

Were you one of the few who witnessed that ending?

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:53 PM