Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-22-21 12:31 PM - Post#322392    
    In response to bradley

I understand the sentiment behind a lot of this, though I might nit at some of your final points.

First, there are only 10 leagues that consistently get two or more bids. It would be awesome to get second bids in isolated years, and that would be a huge accomplishment. Getting a second bid consistently is even beyond where I see this league's ceiling being.

Similarly, pulling off an upset or two in R64 and R32 (to make the Sweet 16) is pretty much the status of all leagues outside the Top 7 + Gonzaga.

Finally, sending your best team is only helpful in really, really awful conferences. None of the Cinderellas in this year's Big Dance were their tourney's 1-seeds (ORU, Ohio, N. Texas, ACU) though some were the best KenPom team and the conf tourney "righted" a wrong there.

The goal for the league should be to have one team every 2-3 years that is at large worthy where the tourney buys us an extra bid and maybe one year in every 5-10 where there are two clear at large caliber teams. We've had a lot of years of teams with resumes in the 50s and three in four (2011, 2012 and 2014) with a team in the top 50 in resume.

There's still another step that needs to be taken. The 2016 class should have been that step, but those teams were decimated by injuries and other defections. If that's the new norm, that next step won't happen. If we get a relatively clean run at the level of recruiting we're currently doing, though, it could.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.122 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:18 AM