Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: NCAA: Beginning of the End?
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
09-17-21 09:25 AM - Post#326708    
    In response to Streamers

Just posted at Sports Illustrated - Without Scholarships, Ivy League Athletes See NIL Deals As Leveling the Playing Field

- The price tag for attending one of the Ancient Eight varies slightly from school to school, but annual tuition typically falls between $50,000 and $60,000, with an additional $20,000 charged for housing, dining, books and other fees. Penn men’s basketball player Lucas Monroe says that he and most of his teammates were able to attend the college “because of the financial aid,” which would make a lucrative sponsorship even more valuable to them.

“If I was able to get a nice NIL deal where I was able to put some money in my pocket, it probably wouldn’t go entirely toward shoes and clothes and nice stuff. I would definitely use it for books, rent … meal plans, all that stuff,” he says. “I think a lot of my teammates would say the same thing. They would definitely use it for more functional purposes and more necessities.” -

- The league set a few general guidelines that may be altered after reevaluation in the spring, but for now, Harris says athletes at the eight schools have the freedom to navigate their new ventures.

“Our policy is that there should be no recruiting inducements. This is not, ‘You only receive this opportunity if you come to school X.’ That would not be allowed,” she says, adding that the universities have no involvement in the endorsements beyond athletes’ reporting their deals to their respective schools’ compliance offices.

“Like any other student, if our student-athletes have the wherewithal and the ability to develop an opportunity, they should be able to do so. But the institution, our coaches, our athletic staff and the university itself are not going to be involved in finding those opportunities or arranging them.” -

- Others with fewer than 10,000 followers have found success by reaching out to brands they like or creating their own opportunities.

Monroe hosted a youth basketball camp this summer in Hatboro, Pa., and advertised a vintage clothing brand on Instagram in exchange for free T-shirts. His teammate Max Lorca-Lloyd launched a clothing collection with PWRFWD, an athlete-to-consumer marketplace, in August, and Brown baseball player Ryan Marra negotiated deals with equipment companies like LeftySwag Bats and Stadium Custom Kicks.

Compensation in those deals came in the form of free products, commission earned off each sale from specific links and discount codes rather than direct payments simply for posting, but many of the athletes are hopeful the NIL revolution can bring about more widespread changes in the conference, like the creation of athletic scholarships and a new appeal for recruits who may have previously overlooked the Ivies in favor of Power 5 schools. -

- Deals from the deep pockets of those connections—alumni, donors and boosters—could “trickle down to the recruiting trail in the near future,” as Heitner puts it, now that there is a new way to funnel resources directly to the athletes, but he doesn’t expect that to dramatically shake up the hierarchy of the conferences. Instead, he hypothesizes that “within the Ivy League there may be some competitive battles between the schools as to what each school is able to command on behalf of its athletes.”

If the NIL deals add more heat to the rivalries between the universities, Yale football coach Tony Reno, director of recruiting Jake Pelletier and the rest of the coaching staff are ready. -
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.179 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:44 PM