Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Individual efficiency stats 2007-2014
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-21-22 10:40 PM - Post#339754    
    In response to Stuart Suss

The usage issue is very real — Bart Torvik tries to control for that with his PORPAGATU! stat (what a mouthful). Link to an explanation: https://www.bigtengeeks.com/new-stat-porpagatu/

In that metric, the coaches' choices are largely vindicated: Tosan is rated 4.4, Dingle 3.7, Wright 3.3, Kirkwood 3.3, Swain 3.0, Llewellyn 3.0.

The one thing I think that's hard to capture with any metric is the particular abilities of the other players on the floor. For example, the reason that Swain's production in the ILT was so impressive to me is that Yale almost always had two complete non-threats to shoot on the court at all times. That shrinks the paint for drivers and makes it easier to give help defense or send double teams. Matt Painter showed exactly what I mean after Azar burned Purdue for those early 11 points: he started icing every ball screen Swain tried to use, knowing that the players who were being left open weren't likely to make him pay for so doing. In my mind, this should be a credit to both Swain and Kirkwood, since they both played on teams that had a lot of minutes taken up by players who weren't major concerns for opposing defenses.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.193 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:32 AM