Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Donahue refused to abandon team
JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
03-20-23 10:06 PM - Post#354820    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

I think the HPY jobs are at least as attractive as a mid-tier power 5 position.

HPY provides strong institutional support, their financial aid packages approach scholarships, and they have such strong brand value that parents are willing to pay something for their child to attend vs. pick your mid-tier power 5 school.

Plus the expectation to win / consequences of not winning are so less dire at an Ivy than the revolving door at a mid-tier power 5 school that has aspirations of being an regular elite 8 team, but does not have the institutional commitment of a Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC (who, ironically, are all watching the NCAAs at home). I think Donahue's experience at BC is a great example - but a long list of such examples.

After this year, how many losing seasons can Henderson have at Princeton before anyone pushes Henderson out the door – likely a multiples of what he would have at Providence or Syracuse.

Do I think Amaker would go to Duke if an offer came his way, certainly – but I am sure the memories of Seton Hall & Michigan experiences make him think twice vs. all the support he has at Harvard on the court and off.

Do I think Berube would go to UConn if an offer came her way, certainly. But would she go to Georgetown, a school that has no real history of winning? People get fired from that program on a regular basis. But perhaps Michigan State? One should be able to win at MSU. I think Berube, Griffith & Moore all will have Power 5 offers – but will they be at schools where they can be successful.

I believe Courtney Banghart’s path is the model path … win in the Ivies, wait for a basketball storied program that truly has the institutional support to make the elite 8 to open up, rebuild that program, make your top tier power 5 money. Else continue to dominate the Ivies.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.007 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:33 PM