Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: John Griffin Hired as the Next Head Coach
bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-25-23 11:54 AM - Post#355063    
    In response to Bison137

This is a very interesting discussion, and I, like everybody is thrilled with the hiring of John Griffin, of whom my first memory of is a behind the back pass to Donald Brown in THE Kansas game, which was played in the first year that March Madness ( and is it ever still, omg) was streamed allowing me to watch a grainy picture on my PC of a game that CBS was not televising in my area.
There is no question that the fifth year situation has in recent years put us in a hole vis-a-vis PL competitors. But is that really a problem once all of the COVID eligible fifth year players are gone? Imo, it is, but nothing like it is now. Ongoing it will pretty much apply only in cases of injury or illness that may have caused a player to lose a year.( correct me if I am wrong)

I am much more concerned about the transfer situation, which Griff will have to deal with, and which Coaches Woolum, Flannery and Paulsen did not. For some years in the past, if schools like Bucknell had any advantage over a power 5 school it was our players played for 4 years, while P5’s best players were one and done. But todays transfer rules make us a minor league for the big guys. So far when we have seen players transfer out, we could rationalize that it was because the team stunk because it was not well coached. Well as Cecilia Collins proves transferring out is not limited to poorly coached teams.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.332 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:44 PM