Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Women's Basketball 2022-23
Bison69 
Freshman

Reg: 03-03-12
03-26-23 02:05 AM - Post#355107    
    In response to bison63

You hit the nail on the head about the phrase "student athlete" being a joke. I read in the paper the other day about a pair of twins who transferred from the Fresno women's BB program to Miami where they are making $2M in NIL this year according to Forbes. There was always a degree to which the term mercenary could be applied to the revenue producing college sports but the combination of NIL and relaxed transfer capability has sent that into overdrive. The article was actually about Maggie Siegrist who talked about how NIL has transformed her life. It's hard to argue that athletes should be taking a longer view when they can cash in immediately, and at least in Siegrist's case she will have a diploma from a decent university in her back pocket should she need it when her athletic career has run its course.

I know next to nothing about how NIL actually works but apparently alumni groups are instrumental in setting up NIL programs for the athletes they want to attract whether it be incoming freshmen or transferees. All of this plays into the hands of the P5 programs so don't expect to see changes any time soon. Nevertheless, while we get eaten by the bigger fish, in order to compete we will have to ensure that our own NIL programs enable us to compensate by attracting freshmen and transfers from lesser programs in turn. When Truax was talking about looking for a candidate who could recruit and develop kids, I suspect it's more important they succeed in working the transfer portal and building up NIL resources.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.206 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:21 PM