American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Griffin's Coaching Staff
DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
05-01-23 07:32 AM - Post#356080    
    In response to river rat

• river rat Said:
Seems like a decent staff. The criticism I could see is that the staff seems a little insular, with Griffin's brother, Flannery's son, the strong prep/private high school connections (and less public school connections) and the connections to the Philly area. Does anyone else think this could be an issue?

I think this is a fair question, but I do not think it is an issue with this staff. Yes, the Philadelphia connection is strong, but John and Matt are different personalities with different backgrounds. The private schools in Philly recruit public school kids which Matt did extremely well. Moreover, the connections are less about schools and more about people, and the Griffin name has an many strong ties to the Philadelphia basketball community as any.

I did think it was important to have a presence in the DMV which McDonald has with his experience with Team Takeover, the top AAU program in the area.

More importantly to me is what holeinone said previously. We need a passionate group that will sell Bucknell for what it is and bring players who will thrive in this environment. There has been a lot of heartache and agonizing over bad losses, poor game plans, etc. the last few years. The biggest gut punch to me was when Khalil Spears transferred to Robert Morris. He was a talented player, this is not a critique of him. But, to transfer from Bucknell to Robert Morris means we either made a big error in recruiting someone who wasn't a fit, or we did a poor job once he arrived on campus selling him on what Bucknell is. That will not happen with this staff, and we will all be the better for it.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.19 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:25 AM