Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Dingle Transferring Continuation Thread
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
05-11-23 04:21 PM - Post#356262    
    In response to Mike Porter

Look, it's hard to dispute anything you've all said. I've been hoping for years that Steve D. was a few recruits away from a breakthrough because he seems to be a great guy. This year's class is a possible sign of improvement, but it's obviously not fair to point to one year as a trend - plus we don't know at this point how good the class will actually be. He's had enough time to judge him by his own track record. The next few years don't look great. Our team has peaked at middle of the league.

Contrary to others, I think he has historically been a pretty good game coach. I wasn't impressed this year, but I'm assuming that Steve D. hasn't lost his ability to strategize. I don't think he's a great defensive coach period. That creates volatility in team performance, which makes it hard to win a conference. He's pretty good at player development. He runs a pretty tight ship. Recruiting seems to be our most limiting factor.

I accept nychoops' past criticism on recruiting as truth, at least from the datapoints he has. There's a chance that he didn't know the full story on why Penn didn't recruit certain players hard enough, but clearly the recruiting end results haven't been that great. We lose a lot of other recruits to other teams in-conference, and none of his classes have been excellent. His best class was built from the pipeline of Jerome Allen's recruiting.

I just am a bit jaded and tired by NCAA sports these days to do more than support the team, hope they represent the school well, and hope the students have great school and life learning experiences.

I'm not an apologist. I am not dismissing any of the criticisms or frustration. But college sports has gotten so warped and that the price of winning now is in conflict with what I hope for student athletes.

I'm also not a fan of NIL. I don't think it's right to deny athletes the right to make money, but I also think college sports should be amateur. I don't get why it is really supportive of a University's mission anymore to create a P5 atmosphere around athletics, recruiting, and winning. Many student athletes will now make more than any faculty at their schools. I described in a previous post that P5 coaches are now dealing with kids who are making millions. They are much harder to coach, as they make much more than their assistant coaches. Let them develop in semi-pro leagues instead of college.

It's just not worth my time to scream anymore for people to be fired. I'll be fine if they fire the staff, and I'll be fine if they don't. Neither outcome will make me or any of us a better person. If our life satisfaction depends on it, be worried.

Go Quakers.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.239 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:08 PM