Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
12-12-23 02:25 PM - Post#360572    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
Agreed. Howard was athletic, big, and well organized. Williams showed his leadership chops and willingness to do anything to help his team win. This was a good win against a team that is similarly ranked to Penn but clearly dangerous.

I thought Howard was anything but well organized. Penn came out a half step slow at everything, as if they were unprepared for their defense’s full court aggression. That’s what led to the early Bison lead. Once Penn finally woke up (which included some early yanks by Steve of Spinoso and Perkins, in particular) and started playing instead of sleepwalking, they shredded Howard’s disorganized D, especially in the second half when they took advantage of HU’s failure to rotate on anything. Howard may end up a dangerous team if they can fix that stuff, but they weren’t last night.

Here’s what Kenny Blankeney had to say after the game:

"I thought they did everything to test us, physically and mentally, and we did not meet the challenge. They really brought the fight to us tonight, and it knocked us back on our heels and we never physically, mentally accepted their fight.“

"We're not a very good team right now. This is the first time we've had this whole group together, and we haven't had much time to practice together. I think since August, we've had maybe four practices with this group. ..."

"... In saying that, the competitiveness, the lack of discipline is something that is really disappointing for me right now."

"I couldn't even get a rotation b/c at this point in time, I don't have the confidence to be able to play a lot of our guys right now. Just because guys haven't had the reps and haven't had the chance to practice. We literally have guys who have practiced 2-3 times."

And here’s Jelani postgame reinforcing that latter point:

"This is a huge stretch for us. I think finally having Dom back and having a couple guys who have been in and out of the lineup, we get a chance to practice together and figure out a rotation.“

Jelani, BTW, was very much the player-coach throughout the game with his teammates. There was a moment early in the first half when the aforementioned Dom Campbell fouled Spinoso on a shot attempt. While the FTs were happening, Williams spent a good 90 seconds in an animated one-on-one sideline conversation with Campbell right next to Blankeney, in which Jelani was clearly giving some pointed intstruction. Blankeney never said a word, let Jelani do all the coaching. It won’t be a surprise if he ends up on Blankeney’s staff or with another team immediately after his eligibility runs out, if that’s what he wants to do. His alma mater, for example.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 12-12-23 02:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:22 AM