Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown 2
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-01-24 03:41 PM - Post#364203    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Excited for tonight's game. There will still be two games left for each team following tonight, but the equation is likely relatively simple - win to be in the tournament. Of course, a Harvard loss at Dartmouth on Tuesday (yes, Tuesday!) or a Brown win vs Yale next weekend could still elevate Brown even if Harvard prevails tonight.

I missed the initial contest, in which Brown, after leading 41-24 at the half, was outscored 48-33 in the second half, barely holding on for a two point victory at Lavietes. I've heard others describe that first half as Harvard's worst half of the season, and from looking at our shooting, that could be true:
1-9 on 3's
5-11 FT's
9-25 FG's

Seems Harvard jumped out to a 7-0 lead, only to fall behind 14-31. That's a 31 to 7 run for Brown. Brown outscored Harvard 12-1 that half on points off turnovers, which is remarkable in that Harvard only registered 9 TO's for the game.

It should be noted that this was Ajogbor's first game back, meaning his hand was still wrapped and he was still to be rusty for some time thereafter. He only played 11 minutes,scoring 5 points with two rebounds. Brown's frontcourt of Nana and Anya were very efficient, scoring 27 points on 11 of 16 shooting. Harvard was also outrebounded 38-33, something that was a problem during Ajogbor's absence.

I'm hoping that the frontcourt of Ajogbor and Okpara (20 points in the first game) can turn that frontcourt matchup around, enough so to bring home a victory.

Harvard's bench only scored 6 points the first game - meaning no one but the starters and Ajogbor made shots - but Pigge (5 pts) and Batties (15 pts) each played 30 minutes. Are they ready to go tonight? If not, then a healthy Ajogbor will be offset somewhat by the absence of Batties. Tyler Simon (2 minutes/0 points), would have to replace Pigge (5 points). I guess we won't know until game time what we have.

Of course, Brown heavily relies on leading scorer Kino Lilly who made 4 3's and scored 19 points in the early game. Certainly, Mack will be asked to contain Lilly, as there is no hope to shut him down. I understand that Kimo Ferrari has heated up, especially from long range. He only made a single basket (a trey) in 21 minutes in the opener, but has emerged of late, scoring in double figures in 4 of his last 5 contests based on at least 3 treys in each. If he goes off for the 6 of 9 three's like he did at Columbia last weekend (9 of 14 on the weekend), we're in trouble.

I guess my take is similar to last game against Penn, if Harvard's frontcourt can successfully defend and avoid having to double team Brown's bigs, the defensive minded backcourt (e.g., Simon) can hopefully keep Lilly and Ferrari from enjoying open looks from long range. Also, our limited offense really needs Lesmond to contribute more than the 1-7 he shot the first time around, something that will hopefully happen.

Despite my opposition to the tournament, I guess I'm glad we have a reason to care about tonight's contest between these two inconsitent 5-6 teams. It looks like the final tournament spot will require at least a 7-7 final record.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 03-01-24 03:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.179 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:36 PM