Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
03-03-24 05:46 PM - Post#364422    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
I'd say that recruiting requires more than just a total staff effort (which it obviously does). It requires a lot of effort across the institution. The athletic department staff, the admissions office, the financial aid office, even the president's office on occasion all must play a role. For a long time, I've gotten the impression that Penn's most visible varsity programs aren't getting the kind of support they need from the institution to be able to recruit effectively.

No excuses. Full stop. The last thing we need is more excuses. Unless you have information of this from a trusted source, I’m going to pass, thanks.

We have heard from reliable sources here on this board that this staff does a bad job recruiting. nychoops has been here long, long before Donahue was even coach at Penn. I was told years ago by a well connected person with connections across the league that other coaches didn’t think much of this staffs ability to recruit (I’m saying a very nice version of what was actually articulated to me).

We’ve seen the recruiting results and it hasn’t just been HYP we’ve been losing recruits under this staff. It’s been 9 years, two full recruiting classes, the results are in and they are mediocre! I don’t know who possible needs to hear it at this point, but outside of a very short window at Cornell where the stars aligned, the results have been consistent at Cornell, at Boston College, at Penn (and the results are not good).

I think Coach Donahue seems like a good guy and brought the team back to respectability and thank him for that, but this isn’t a summer youth basketball league. It at least still pretends to be NCAA Division 1 team.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.147 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:13 AM