Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2023-2024 Season in Review
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-22-24 10:37 AM - Post#366064    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I'm very optimistic about the future of Ivy League basketball, and I feel that way for a few reasons.

First, we are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think that NIL was the introduction of paying players in college basketball. People were getting strong-you-know-what offers well before that. And yet the Ivy League was able to get talented players. As we all know well, the value of an Ivy degree is compensation you can get here that you can't get many other places, and that hasn't changed.

Second, there are way way way more high school basketball players in the world than all the D1 coaches could ever see even if they spent their time doing nothing else. Lee and Evbuomwan didn't have any other D1 offers. Danny Wolf was mostly recruited by mid-majors. Makai Mason didn't have any high-major offers. The Ivies have a great history of finding guys whom nobody else saw.

Third, I think the League eventually decides to keep up with the Joneses and will allow NIL collectives. It might take one of the top teams losing a star (God forbid), but I do think it'll happen. I'm certain that there are enough committed alumni who'd be willing to help bankroll such a thing.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.097 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:30 AM