Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Let's brainstorm a plan
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-22-24 02:07 PM - Post#366077    
    In response to Penndemonium

Here's a thought. What if Penn and the league agreed to allow a full ride scholarship for all players, but no NIL beyond that? It would help provide equal access to high quality education and give a lot of people access up front - instead of waiting for financial aid feedback. It would also help equalize the HYP tuition policies. I know many people think the financial aid disparities aren't a big deal, but I can't help think that it matters at least a bit. Every player qualified to be recruited to the team will know they have financial access, but no upside. The value, given tuition today, is still quite large. We might have easier access to a broader pool of players, get better recruits, and give more of them a reason to stay.

I don't think this will solve all of the problems, but it *should* raise the quality of the team, it helps thread the needle of recruiting and retaining good players, and still attracts players who care about their education. Also, it doesn't break the bank at all.

I don't think this brings the programs to an elite level, but it gives the league the possibility of staying solidly within the mid-level ranks. It may even boost it to upper-mid-major level. For Penn specifically, it also helps to remove the HYPr financial aid advantage, however big or small that actually is. A program at the upper-mid-major level should be self supporting from better fan bases, ticket sales, merch sales, and better NCAA money (from occasional at-large NCAA invitations).

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.153 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:23 PM