Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Let's brainstorm a plan
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-31-24 01:05 AM - Post#366759    
    In response to JDP

We've gone beyond Penn's strategy and Ivy strategy to the broader NCAA issue, which is appropriate - we're all still trying to wrap our heads around that. Penn obviously can't shape the broader issues in isolation, but I suppose it could help lead the Ivies into new ways, a withdrawal from the NCAAs, or a different business model. This should be an MBA project for sure. I suppose if an alumni wanted to make an impact, a different way to support Penn basketball would be to sponsor a Bain type of report on how to navigate this. We have tons of Whartonites out here, right?

The Ivies could take themselves out of the NCAA framework, but right now there isn't enough incentive. Our basketball players like playing a national schedule, Penn gets some tourney money regardless of their performance, and they don't even have to fund scholarships. They get to claim they are playing their own game as the only non-scholarship league, being more true to the student-athlete archetype. They can let the NCAA take the heat on all equity issues with this, except for scholarships.

So how can Penn differentiate itself? One is through a sports management program. If it aligned itself with its many graduates in sports management and ownership, I could see that being a compelling path. I personally know of several Penn graduates that are VERY well placed. There used to be a few professors who had very good reputations in the space. There was a guy in the law school. There was another from Wharton. They could take courses in marketing, contracts, and more. There are multiple professional teams in Philadelphia and the region. There are multiple college basketball teams and the Big 5. There are people in the sports agency business. Penn's communication program would be a great launch into sports journalism and broadcasting. If Penn could pull together such a unique program, it could be the M&T of sports. Play a sport and major in sports management. Enrolling at Penn would have amazing internships ready-made. Imagine interning with Comcast (maybe courtesy of Brian Roberts?).

Now that I think about this, all it would take is some folks to fund a bit of endowment for sports management, and make it highly collaborative with the basketball coach and alumni board.

This program might not be enough to override big cash going to players from major programs, but it could be enough to move it to the upper tier of mid-majors and at least well into the upper half of Div I. The internships could have some pay dynamics that help the payment shortfall.

This is the type of stuff the school and coaches don't always address holistically. How to bring all of the resources of Penn together, financial and non-financial. Penn is an incredible platform, and we are getting beaten out by just playing the same game as everyone else. I realize that the coaches have probably created some of these links, but help create the best sports management program in the country - the one where people in the industry try to recruit student athletes from. They could study law, business, biology, engineering, data science, and communications in an interdisciplinary way.

I realize that not all athletes will want to study this, but I'd imagine they could attract some good ones this way - and not just for basketball or football.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:13 AM