Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy NIL strategy?
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-01-24 03:28 PM - Post#366791    
    In response to CM

I think the answer isn’t all that different from what it has always been. You want to play at a high major but don’t have an offer. You’re a high academics kid, so you decide to go Ivy instead of another mid major, because the degree will help you more in the long run. The difference now is that between the transfer portal, NIL, and changes in the way kids think about degrees and careers now, you’re not all-in for 4 years. You’re just all-in until you’re not (which is why Nana can tweet about getting to work for next year at Brown one day and enter the portal a week later). So now kids will come to play at an Ivy school thinking it can be a springboard to a high major, or a path to a valuable degree. They win either way. Penn used to avoid kids they viewed as transfer risks (who knows — maybe we still do, and that explains why we didn’t offer Nana). I’m suggesting we lean into recruiting kids who want to play at a higher level.

I don’t disagree with your point about scholarships at all. I doubt the current policy will change, so I am just thinking about how to sell the school within the existing policy, given other changes to the rules and world around us.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:28 AM