Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Let's brainstorm a plan
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
04-04-24 05:44 AM - Post#366952    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:
That being said, when USC and UCLA announced they were jumping to the Big 10, I immediately thought that if I was Oregon State or Washington State, I would be screaming at the commissioner and the rest of the league every meeting to merge with the Big 12, because if it became a matter of people picking over the carcass, they were going to get left behind.

Not sure the Big 12 was ever interested in taking on 10 schools. At least I never saw anything indicating that was a realistic option.

But the Pac-12 did put together a TV package with very favorable terms with Apple after USC/UCLA defected. Phil Knight liked it--which would have ensured that Oregon stayed put (and that was half the battle right there).

Unfortunately, Washington didn't have Knight's foresight. They panicked and jumped ship. After that... the Pac-12 breakup was inevitable.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.131 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:42 AM