Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: The gang that couldn't shoot straight        (Topic#11133)
Doc89 
Freshman

Reg: 01-22-10
12-02-10 09:34 PM - Post#90173    

Struggling to make baskets tonight 7 mins left down 8

phillyhound 
Junior

Reg: 11-30-06
12-02-10 09:50 PM - Post#90175    
    In response to Doc89

Fire Patsos. Same #%$@ with SPC every year and we still can't do anything.

Doc89 
Freshman

12-02-10 09:57 PM - Post#90176    
    In response to phillyhound

keep jacking threes-- more of the same from this team-- no toughness-- staring at 0-2 in the MAAC

seriously St Peter's at home-- f&&& in layup line for St Peters

Doc89 
Freshman

12-02-10 09:58 PM - Post#90177    
    In response to Doc89

5-23 from three -- at some point stop jacking threes

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
The gang that couldn't shoot straight
12-02-10 09:59 PM - Post#90178    

Hounds lose by 3. Had a couple of chances to tie it but the shots wouldnt fall. SPC loves to play games like this and it creates a #%$@ game to watch IMO. Hounds missed alot of shots, partly due to good D by SPC and partly due to poor offensive sets. Its only one game but it is frustrating because we looked pretty good in the first few games this year and tonight we looked like last year's team. Oh well on to Fairfield on Sunday. SPC was picked to finish 3rd in the MAAC but they play an ugly brand of basketball.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

Edited by loco09 on 12-02-10 10:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doc89 
Freshman

12-02-10 09:59 PM - Post#90179    
    In response to Doc89

Barney and Cormier 2-13 from three combined --

phillyhound 
Junior

12-02-10 09:59 PM - Post#90180    
    In response to loco09

Make your reservations for the PIG the Fri of the MAAC tourney.

phillyhound 
Junior

12-02-10 10:02 PM - Post#90181    

SPC looked absolutely terrible coming into this game. Drive the #%$@ ball to the basket. We were shooting like 27% from 3 coming into this game.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
12-02-10 10:04 PM - Post#90182    

Rudolph decided to drive to the lane toward the end of the game but we were already down by 6 or 8 by then so it was too little too late. The bad thing about the 3's were that too many of them were contested and forced its not like they were wide open shots, I agree that they should have started taking the ball to the rim earlier in the game.

phillyhound 
Junior

12-02-10 10:08 PM - Post#90183    
    In response to loco09

We do not have a knockdown 3 point shooter this year. Have to drive to the basket.

How can Julius Brooks go from like 20 min a game as a freshmen to not getting off the bench? Mark him down as another Loyola player under Patsos whose best year was their first year.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
12-02-10 10:13 PM - Post#90184    

Cormier can be that knockdown 3 point shooter but he appears to be a streaky shooter. Brooks apparently didnt want to put the effort in to get better and Etherly is a better option right now. Why Wiegand plays in front of Brooks is beyond me, he doesnt have the foot speed to keep up with most players on the court.

phillyhound 
Junior

12-02-10 10:19 PM - Post#90185    
    In response to loco09

Brooks has to play before Weigand. From Brooks being a starter his freshman year to doing nothing now is an indictment on Patsos and the coaching staff. It's no mistake that players don't improve from year to year with this coaching staff.

We just not cannot get over the hump with Patsos.

phillyhound 
Junior

12-02-10 10:26 PM - Post#90186    

I'd play Brooks over Walker. Guess since Walker transferred from Maryland he is locked in to 30 min a game.

aighounds03 
Freshman

Reg: 09-23-08
12-03-10 10:16 AM - Post#90197    

A few observations from last night/early season:

1. I agree with a few of the above posts regarding Brooks. How can someone go from 20 mins & starting as a frosh to not playing as a soph. I, for one, had very high hopes for him b/c of his natural size and athleticism. The staff should be able to develop him (assuming he wants to put the work in).

2. Wiegand is a disaster and a liability. There is no reason he should be getting any minutes. Two late 2nd half possessions for St. Pete's ended with a drive to the basket right around or past Wiegand. He is too slow and has terrible footwork to contribute.

3. Walker is continuing the tradition of disappointing big men transfers. He shows flashes, i.e. knocking down an open three, or making a good move in the post for a jump hook, but he is too inconsistent. He jacks way to many long range shots and is too soft on the galss.

4. Rudolph needs to play 30+ minutes. He is a senior, a leader and at times seems like the only player on the team who can penetrate the D and get to the hoop or find an open man. Even though it makes us small, I think he needs to be at point with Cormier, Barney & Olsen rotating the 2/3 spots.

5. Where is Hall? Is he injured? I expected him to give us a spark of the bench this year. And for that matter, what's up w/ Winbush? He seems lost on offense.

6. Pierson Williams looks like he could be a nice player for us in teh years to come. Hopefully he will continue to develop.

Hounds 05 
Freshman

Reg: 01-03-07
12-03-10 02:23 PM - Post#90210    
    In response to aighounds03

I'm a passive Hounds fan but I enjoy checking this board periodically to see how the program is doing. I have a question hopefully you guys can shed some light.

Can Patsos develop players, meaning do guys actually improve year after year under his watch?

Building a program like Loyola takes so many different types of skills, I realize. But I have to think at the core of building a mid/low level division 1 team, player developement is crucial. Patsos since his arrival has tried to bring B'more kids home from Big East/Maryland type schools.

Has any of his players actually gotten better to the point where its noticeable? His in-game coaching/substitutions are often critiqued, but if these guys arent getting any better than the Patsos regime is done. The evidence, as some of you point out, is that many guys seem to play LESS as they get older which baffles me.

Thoughts?

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
12-03-10 06:51 PM - Post#90221    
    In response to Hounds 05

will address hounds 05's point in a bit but first..

shane walker is an awful person, basketball player, and just shouldnt even be on this team.. ive never seen a basketball player not fulfill his potential as much as he does... I hate that he is on this team and i hope from here on out that he fouls out within 2 minutes of every game from here on out so that patsos is legally not allowed to put him into the game..

brooks... i agree that he should get minutes, but i dont agree that he should see a lot.. the guy is just a freak of an athlete and thats what makes ppl love his game, bc he's not afraid to throw it down.. but he's constantly lost both on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball and is more of a liability than wiegand imo

wiegand.. i think i figured patsos out regarding wiegand... he was absolute crap his first year, then "redshirted" last year.. and now he really truly has improved dramatically so patsos feels the need to play him bc of such an incredible improvement. There's only one problem... his incredible improvement was from becoming a guy not even fit for a D III team to becoming a borderline DII player.. at best... the guy got a lot better but is still terrible.

I understand we have to play big guys and im pretty much calling for none of them to play but I wouldn't mind just throwing a small lineup out there all the time. (Cormier leads our team in rebounds per game I think anyway)... Put Etherly at the 5, Winbush at the 4, Barney at the 3, Cormier at the 2, Rudolph at the 1..

Olsen and Hall becomes our 1 and 2 off the bench (Hall was injured, had a sling on on the sideline) I have no problem seeing Williams come in.. and then shuffle in those big guys mentioned above.. but please none of them deserve over 15 minutes of playing time per game.

I think Patsos is out this year pretty much no matter what, I see Paquette just itching to get his own guys at all the programs and he doesn't seem comfortable with Patsos yelling at his players and everything (I've also heard that Paquette will be traveling with the team on EVERY SINGLE ROAD TRIP) definitely trying to keep a closer eye on Patsos which makes me think he would much rather have a relaxed, calm coach in place.. but again I'm completely guessing with that and basing it on a couple of conversations I've had with Paquette.

Either way, Go Hounds!.. We need to beat Fairfield for so many reasons.. and they just beat Savannah State 41-39.. we need to win that game.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
12-06-10 11:22 AM - Post#90335    
    In response to LoCo2011

Fairfield 65 Loyola 55

Sounds like it was a typical loss for them. Start terribly slow and not hit a basket for the first 9 minutes. Then make a comeback in the second half to fall short. I would love to get a stat on how many games they've lost in this fashion. Olson, when healthy, seems to be their most consistent player right now. Walker got 13 rebounds, but not seeing the game I have to take that stat with a grain of salt.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.016 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:48 AM