Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Votel        (Topic#1291)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
06-15-05 03:07 PM - Post#8417    

Plays in the Ky/Ind All Star game on Sat

Condor 
PhD Student

Re: Votel
06-15-05 07:42 PM - Post#8418    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Nice article ( Little Big Man ) on Votel. It sounds like Dunphy will enjoy working with this kid.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: Votel
06-16-05 10:43 AM - Post#8419    
    In response to Condor

Sounds like a slightly bigger version of Mark Zoller. If he has a heart as big as Zoller's he could be very good in our system

Condor 
PhD Student

More on Votel and KY/IN All-Star Preview
06-18-05 11:35 AM - Post#8420    

Here are some excerpts from recent articles:

The Kentucky Post

Brennan Votel went through three days of basketball practice with the Kentucky All-Stars without knowing what they'll be up against in Saturday's game against the Indiana All-Stars at Diddle Arena in Bowling Green.
"We hear they're supposed to be bigger and more athletic than us," said the 6-foot-7 forward from Covington Catholic. "I probably won't have the (size) advantage, but I've dealt with that before in camps during the summer. I think I can handle it with some respect."
It was a typical response for Votel, whose easygoing personality off the court is a little surprising after seeing him battle opponents during a game.

Votel, a University of Pennsylvania recruit, was a three-year starter at CovCath. He was primarily a role player until his senior season when he stepped up his game and became a team leader.

But Votel will be facing a higher level of competition during the all-star series than he did in most high school games. Most of the Indiana players have signed with major college basketball teams.
Votel got his first look at the Indiana All-Stars on Thursday when he watched a videotape of an exhibition game they played earlier in the week.
"We realized they can shoot really well so we have to work on playing good perimeter defense," he said. "Our offense is pretty good. We should be able to score a lot of points. We just need to work on getting after them (on defense)."
Votel doesn't know if he'll play power forward or center for the Kentucky All-Stars in Saturday's game, which is a major fund-raiser for the Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation.

"Our coaches are stressing rebounding and playing good defense as the big things we've got to do," Votel said. "They've been working with all of the big guys on getting good position under the boards."
Boxing out will be essential against a good-sized Indiana team that includes 6-foot-11 center Luke Zeller, who was named his state's Mr. Basketball this year.

There's a good chance Votel will match up with Zeller during the all-star series, and the CovCath grad is looking forward to the challenge.
"He likes to shoot the ball more than post up so you have to be able to stop him away from the block," Votel said of Zeller.
"It'll be a good test for me. It'll let me know where I am and what I need to work on before I get to college."

The Bowling Green Daily News

Brennan Votel, a 6-7 swingman who will play at Pennsylvania next year, will be spending a lot of time in the post for Kentucky.
“He’s been the most consistent for us in practice,” Forrest said. “He’s a smart kid, obviously, since he’s going to Penn, and he has been able to grasp a lot of the things we’ve been teaching.”

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: More on Votel and KY/IN All-Star Preview
06-18-05 01:39 PM - Post#8421    
    In response to Condor

The challenge against height for young players is often just staying on the floor. It's easy to commit fouls. Maybe they'll let them play as it's an All Star game.

Condor 
PhD Student

1st game
06-19-05 12:16 PM - Post#8422    

Indiana had a decided victory over the Kentucky All-Stars, 94-72. KY shot poorly, going 1-15 from the 3 in the 1st half.

There wasn't a box score, but Votel seem to be the third leading scorer with 11 points. He was slated to guard Luke Zeller (Mr. Basketball for Indiana), who only scored 2 points on five shots. From Zeller: “When you’re playing with players this great, you don’t have to worry about that so much (shooting). You just have to play with good effort and shoot the ball if you get open, and I couldn’t do that tonight.”

Hopefully, that was due to Votel's defense.

The next game is tonight in Indiana.

Bowling Green Daily News

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

Votel's line
06-19-05 10:09 PM - Post#8423    
    In response to Condor

22 minutes
4-9 FG
0-0 3FG
3-3 FT
5 Rebounds
1 Assist
4 Fouls
11 Points
0 TOs
2 Blocks
1 Steal

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
Re: Votel's line
06-19-05 10:29 PM - Post#8424    
    In response to Howard Gensler

3 for 3 from the foul line!!! are we getting a player who can make those important foul shots? hope so!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.29 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:31 PM