Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Very sad news        (Topic#1296)
Anonymous 

06-16-05 06:53 PM - Post#8445    

What terrible news regarding the passing of John McAdams, the gatekeeper of the Palestra and the Big 5 tradition. I hope that Penn and the Big 5 appropriately honors the immense contribution that he made to Philly basketball. He and his voice will be sorely missed

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
Re: Very sad news
06-16-05 07:00 PM - Post#8446    
    In response to

A wonderful announcer.

In an era where announcers feel they have to be an ever bigger part of the show, McAdams never varied from his calm, measured tone, no matter how nutso the Palestra might get. A professional through and through.

He will be sorely missed.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
06-16-05 07:11 PM - Post#8447    
    In response to

John was a very nice man and a classy announcer. No histrionics and no "YOOOOUUUUUUURRRRRR Pennsylvania QUAAAAAAKERS!" Just a traditional approach to announcing a game in keeping with the historic building.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
06-16-05 07:39 PM - Post#8448    
    In response to

As much as we discussed the Palestra experience on this board, I don't think we gave McAdams sufficient credit.

He will be a tough act to follow.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
06-17-05 01:34 AM - Post#8449    
    In response to penn nation

"welcome to the palestra, college basketball's most historic gym."

John was just a great man. He will be sorely missed. Penn basketball games will never be the same.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
06-17-05 08:27 PM - Post#8450    
    In response to

Wow... sad news indeed. To be completely honest, I can not imagine attending a Palestra game without John announcing it. He was a very nice man and huge contributor to the wonderful Palestra atmosphere we all have enjoyed. He will be sorely missed.

-Mike

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
06-21-05 01:44 AM - Post#8451    
    In response to Mike Porter

I have been very busy with meetings at my church and just heard the bad news. No question that the Palestra atmosphere will be poorer for his absence. It is also unfortunate that he did not enter the Big 5 Hall of Fame while he was alive; I hope that will be immediately rectified. Re: Dane and Howard's remarks, however, I think the greatest memorial Penn could give him would be to hire a similarly restrained and professional replacement. While I am saddened by his departure, it pleases me to think of him and my grandfather together, comparing notes on great Big 5 games, members of the society of angels that loves helping other people play :-) . . .
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Quaker Fan 
maximus

Reg: 11-23-04
06-21-05 07:52 PM - Post#8452    
    In response to

My thoughts and prayers are with John and his family. While I did not know him on a personnal basis - I was at the Palestra so much over the years that the past 4 or 5 years he always made sure to say hi to if I passed by him. I always said hi back - honored that he respected the fans as much as the game and the Palestra. I always felt his trademark came at the end of the game - "One minute remaining, one minute"

I guess John has now had his last one min and we can only now wish he had been given some overtime.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
06-21-05 11:50 PM - Post#8453    
    In response to Quaker Fan

The top names in Philadelphia-area basketball and Philadelphia-area sportswriting were present for the funeral of John McAdams on Tuesday morning. In addition to the Philadelphia contingent, Jerry Price led a Princeton delegation in tribute to John's recent work at Princeton football games.

The priest, Father Edward Casey, set the perfect tone for the funeral with his opening comment, inviting those gathered to do what John McAdams would have requested them to do: "Guess the attendance!"

Dan Baker, former executive secretary of the Big Five, and the man who hired John as Palestra PA announcer, delivered the eulogy. He disclosed what many people did not know. John worked all over the Delaware Valley, Penn sports in addition to basketball, other Big 5 basketball games, small college basketball, Reading Phillies, Wilmington Blue Rocks, hockey. For all of these years, John was medically unable to drive and his wife drove him to each game.

Such was the funeral of John McAdams, college basketball's most historic announcer. A class act, who will be missed.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.692 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:12 PM