Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Duke        (Topic#1329)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
06-30-05 09:41 AM - Post#8562    

DP confirms we play them at Cameron this year although no date is settled. No mention of Nova in AC although it's possible.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: Nova
06-30-05 10:21 AM - Post#8563    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Should have been clearer - DP says that Nova will play us at the Palestra although I'm just offering up the possibility that the venue may not be set in concrete. The schedules often are adjusted. Full sched to be published in August. For now - it's the Palestra according to the DP

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Nova
06-30-05 12:23 PM - Post#8564    

Bigger news is Roger Reina leaving the wrestling program. That's a huge blow.
Leges sine moribus vanae

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
Re: Duke
06-30-05 02:56 PM - Post#8565    

Wonder if a return visit to Penn is in the offing. My understanding is that Fran and Krz---ski have tried to schedule this for years but that the Duke coach insisted that any return game at Philly be played at the FUCenter (or whatever they're calling it these days) instead of the Palestra.

I wonder if they ever worked that out or if this is a one-off at Cameron.

mshimmy 
Sophomore
mshimmy
Loc: Miami, FL
Reg: 11-22-04
06-30-05 05:29 PM - Post#8566    

With the exception of the regionally televised tournament games, this could be the first nationally televised Quaker game in over 4 years. Depending on the date I'd definitely be interested in making that trip.
"Our team will win our next 10 games in a row. I know that." Judson Wallace, February 8, 2005 http://www.letsgoquakers.com/02082005PrincetonatPenn.mpg

Rob 
maximus

07-01-05 03:15 PM - Post#8567    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Coach K's last trip to Philadelphia, I believe, coincided with the NCAA Eastern Regional scheduled at the end of that season. In other words, he came to give his guys a look at the building, on the chance they might have a couple more games there.

I'd be surprised if he ever comes to the Palestra, or if he comes to your big building until a regional is scheduled there.

munchkininvasion 
munchkininvasion
Reg: 12-10-04
07-02-05 04:16 PM - Post#8568    

Duke's return trip in 2006-07 is a definite down year for them.
P.S.: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated. -Mitch Hedberg

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

07-03-05 02:00 PM - Post#8569    
    In response to munchkininvasion

Who says Duke is returning?

Anonymous 

07-03-05 02:37 PM - Post#8570    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Is the reason Duke isn't returning because they were willing to return to play us at the Wachovia Center and we insisted on the Palestra and they said no, we'll only play at Cameron now? Because if it is that has to be the stupidest, most stubborn thing I've ever heard. It'd be one thing to refuse to play them at all because you want a 1-for-1 at your home building. Quite another thing to deny your fans a chance to see Duke in a favorable situation where you control a ton of tickets.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

07-03-05 05:09 PM - Post#8571    
    In response to

What makes you think playing them at the Wachovia Center would be so favorable? Duke bball has more fans around the nation than any other program, it could be a very proDuke (or even) crowd.

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
07-03-05 05:16 PM - Post#8572    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Drop the could and replace it with will.

If you think that the city of Philadelphia will magically come to the Wachovia Center and drown out the Duke fans you are deluding yourself.

And there are plenty of Duke fans in the Philadelphia area -- not to mention New Jersey and New York -- that would be at that game even if no other Duke fans came.

On top of that, it wouldn't even be clear-cut that Penn make money off the game. I am sure there would be a substantial rent payment, and I don't agree with the assumption that Penn would control so many tickets.

Finally, the Palestra is what it is for a reason. We should want to play Duke in one of the only college arenas in the nation that is as celebrated as Cameron. The Wachovia Center does not have nearly the history, and certainly not the atmosphere.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

Anonymous 

07-03-05 06:12 PM - Post#8573    
    In response to DCAJedi

If it's a home game we control the tickets right? So wouldn't we have several thousand fans there? Again, the issue isn't Palestra or Wachovia, it's Wachovia or nothing. There are two things going on there,

1. It's incredibly rude to us fans to give us crud like Rider and American and not give us a chance to see Duke. Terribly disappointing and shortsighted.

2. more important, if we're already willing to go down to Duke and play in a hostile environment and get on national tv, why not play them again. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Again, logically I understand, though disagree with, the idea of refusing to play them at all if they won't play at the Palestra. But once we agree to go down to Duke, it becomes stupid, moronic pride that hurts the fans (we don't get to see our team play Duke close to home) and the team (unless playing Duke at all is a bad idea to start with in which case why are we playing them once?)

Again, logic does not support refusing a Wachovia game IF YOU'VE ALREADY AGREED TO A CAMERON GAME.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

07-03-05 06:26 PM - Post#8574    
    In response to

It sets a bad precedent. Why then shouldn't a Top 5 Villanova team demand we play them at Wachovia this year? The Palestra is our home stadium; if a team wants to demand that Nova play them at Wachovia, fine, it's a home stadium for them.

On top of that, if you're counting on the Wachovia game as a money maker, and that's your reason...then if the game was there, wouldn't you think Penn should put us season ticket holders (and the students) up the corners like Nova does, and sell the good seats for profit?

Anonymous 

07-03-05 06:32 PM - Post#8575    

One, I've never ever talked about making money with this. Though I'm sure they would, but again, I don't care about that. I care about seeing Duke without driving down to Cameron, paying hundreds of dollars to a scalper, and watching Penn lose by 35.

It also "sets a bad precendent" to agree to away games without a return date. Why did we break that? Well, because it's Duke. Let's take your reasoning out further. What if we agreed to play Duke for the next 10 years? Duke said you have two options. Play 5 games at Cam, 5 games at Wachovia, or play 10 games at Cameron. If you agreed to 10 games at Cameron, you should be replaced as the AD and have your head examined.

Nova can try insist on anything they want (and they did back in the day and no one gave in to them) but it won't work because of the Big 5 backlash they'd get.

Anonymous 

07-03-05 06:38 PM - Post#8576    
    In response to

Jeff....I'm surprised with you. There are a number of times in the past where we have agreed to play an away game without a return. Here are just a few. Michigan. USC (twice). NCState. Colorado. (I'm assuming Hawaii will not come back also). Not that this matters, but Princeton does it too (and did it for Duke).

Anonymous 

07-03-05 06:48 PM - Post#8577    
    In response to

94, evidently I'm not explaining myself well. If we agreed to go to Duke without coming home, that's totally ok. Happens all the time. What I'm quibbling with is the idea that the team offers to come back and we tell them no because it's not at the Palestra. That's insane to me, especially it being Duke who all the fans would like to see. If Hawaii insisted on that, I'd laugh at them and say no thanks, because no one wants to see Hawaii or NC State.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

07-03-05 07:04 PM - Post#8578    
    In response to

So really, they should design their schedule around what Jeff wants?

And why not give it to Nova? People want to see those games cause theyre Big 5..we should only do it for Duke?

Believe me, I'd love to see Penn play Duke in person....and I'm not so sure I have a problem with us playing them at Wachovia...But I also very much respect the fact that the Palestra is our home stadium, and we shouldn't let other teams dictate where we play our games.

It's not like we're talking about Nova's ski lodge vs. Wachovia...we're talking about one of the great stadiums in college sports!! Coaches should WANT to play there...just ask Gary Williams and Bo Ryan.

Anonymous 

07-03-05 07:57 PM - Post#8579    

You're not following the logic. Again, we've already let them dictate things. Now we're just being stubborn and causing OURSELVES problems. It's no skin off Duke's nose, it is skin off our nose. Until you present logic, we have nothing to say.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

07-03-05 08:05 PM - Post#8580    
    In response to

The logic is a game against Duke at the Wachovia Center would be more of a home game for them than it would be for us. It also shows a lack of respect for our program and our stadium that they will only play at Wachovia. You have a right to your opinion, and I don't fully disagree w/ you, but I also understand the logic of not wanting to play them there.

Anonymous 

07-03-05 08:08 PM - Post#8581    

No, because if that was the case, then why play them at their place? If we refused to play them at their place, i could understand though disagree. once we agreed to play at their place then...

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.369 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:54 PM