Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Duke        (Topic#1329)
SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Duke
07-03-05 08:12 PM - Post#8582    
    In response to

Then I guess it's all about personal opinion. I'd rather just play at Cameron, on espn, then play there and then play at Wachovia to appease them.

Anonymous 

07-03-05 09:02 PM - Post#8583    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Argh, listen, you're not appeasing them. Or rather, you're already appeasing them. You just made things better for them. We just gave them a home game and didn't ask anything in return. Turn it around, you decide to trade loan someone 50 thousand bucks, and they tell you they'll pay you back plus interest. Then, at the last minute, they say they'll pay you the 50 K but they ain't paying 8% interest, they'll pay 5% instead. Now, you could decide to not lend them the money - totally reasonable, even though the going rate is basically something like 6%. Instead, to show them they're not the boss of you, you lend them the money but tell em not to pay you any money whatsoever. There, you sure showed them. They'll have to take their 50 K and not pay you back. Real smart.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

07-03-05 10:27 PM - Post#8584    
    In response to

You can't make analogies like that to basketball scheduling....just doesn't work, sorry.

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
07-04-05 01:14 AM - Post#8585    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

if our home arena was anything other than what it is, or possibly allen fieldhouse or pauley pavilion, i would perfectly well understand the rationale for going to the wachovia center and i would probably even agree with it.

but we have a special case, and in my opinion the palestra should be accorded the respect it deserves. not least because cameron was designed by a penn architect who had the palestra very much in mind.

http://goduke.collegesports.com/facilities/cameron.html
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
07-04-05 12:11 PM - Post#8586    
    In response to DCAJedi

Personally I see little advantage to a game against Duke at Cameron and on national television. Losing by 20 (at best) on national television certainly doesn't help recruiting. Why not play someone we have a chance of beating -- and, no, that doesn't mean Rider -- we might not beat them! Why not play Seton Hall or UVA?

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

07-04-05 01:42 PM - Post#8587    
    In response to TomPittsburgh

Penn's playing at Duke has little to do with Duke. It has to do with ESPN. ESPN offered Penn the Duke game last year and the Quakers chose not to take it - no idea why - maybe the date ddn't work. So Princeton got the ESPN Duke game instead. It's hard to see how Princeton being on ESPN helps Penn. This year Penn took the game. It's basically the only way the team can get on ESPN - although why they don't do Penn-Princeton every year is beyond me - so it's either Duke or no national TV.

Whether Duke comes back is a separate issue. Penn at Cameron is a TV game. We're not doing anything for Duke, Duke is going to be on TV anyway and they'll have the game at home anyway. They just happen to be playing Penn this year (when Penn is going to be a little inexperienced in early December and Duke should be very experienced and awesome - oh well).

Why Coach K - he's a leader not a basketball coach - won't come back to the Palestra is the part that baffles me. Duke plays in pro arenas all the time and even at the Palestra I'm sure three or four thousand Duke fans could get tickets. I can't imagine Coach K is concerned about losing on Penn's home court. So what's the issue? He doesn't want to play at the Palestra because he doesn't have to. Maybe he doesn't want his players to know there's another arena even cooler than Cameron. Maybe he's got some bad memory of a stale pretzel.

I saw Duke play St. Joe's in a jam-packed fire-code breaking Palestra in the Danny Ferry days. If he was willing to play the Hawks in the Palestra he should play the Quakers in the Palestra. If not, the heck with him.

PS Penn 94: The Colorado game was supposed to be a home-and-home. I believe the Buffaloes may actually return this season.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

07-04-05 03:44 PM - Post#8588    
    In response to TomPittsburgh

Tom - my guess is it does help recruiting. Playing in Cameron is a once in a lifetime experience for these kids. We may have trouble keeping it competitive, but - i think this is clearly one of those trips the kids will remember for a lifetime. My guess is that if the team voted on whether or not to have a return game the following year, they'd put Duke back on the schedule whether or not the game is in the Palestra.

munchkininvasion 
munchkininvasion
Reg: 12-10-04
07-05-05 02:43 PM - Post#8589    
    In response to AsiaSunset

for what it's worth, i believe duke returns the temple trip this coming season, and the game will be played at wachovia (early january 2006, i believe). now while the history of the apollo vs. the palestra isn't even comparable, temple is playing duke in philly. wish penn could say that.
P.S.: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated. -Mitch Hedberg

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.738 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:38 PM