Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Mr. Pettinella        (Topic#1380)
Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Mr. Pettinella
07-20-05 09:04 PM - Post#8874    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Quote:

This is pretty inaccurate Chuck. Ryan had a huge opportunity to assert himself last year when Zoller was severely limited by his ankle injury early on. Fran didn't hold him back. His poor defense, lack of passing ability and surprisingly his propensity to rush and inability to finish limited his PT.

Asia, Ryan had the second highest pts/min and rebounds/min on the team. His rebounding was better than Jan's and gave up fewer PF's/min than Fik. For a kid who got very little playing time as a frosh and was constantly jerked around by the MoWP I think that the fact he did more with his minutes than almost everybody else shows that he did take advantage to the extent that he was permitted by Dunphy. We will just have to agree to disagree...

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
07-21-05 02:06 AM - Post#8875    
    In response to Chuck

Interesting question is who beat him in both categories. The answer? Mark Zoller.

Of course, if those were the only things that mattered, Pettinella would've played a lot more (Zoller too, for that matter).

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

07-21-05 11:39 AM - Post#8876    
    In response to SomeGuy

If we want to pick on Fran for not changing the team's style of play to better utilize Ryan that may be fair and if we want to criticize the staff for not better integrating Ryan's abilities into the team's that might be fair also - although I'm pretty confident they tried - hard. But I don't see how they can be criticized for not playing Ryan more given how he played and how the team played. They overachieved at 13-1.

As for the BC game, I went back and looked at my notes:

Old triple-pumping Zoller scored 7 points in the first 7:30 and Penn was down 18-15. Fikiel came in for him and Oz came in for Whitehurst . When Ryan came in 1:36 later, Penn was down 23-16. During his 3:48 of action he took no shots and Penn scored no points in their usual 10-minute mark lull. He left with the score 30-16 in favor of BC.

He returned with about 2:40 to go in the half and Penn down 20. He hit two inside field goals and the half ended with Penn still down 20.

When Penn cut it to 9 in the second half it was all the starting team (David, Ibby, Begs, Mark, Danley) as Zoller had another 6 and although Danley shot the ball terribly he was in there when Penn went on its 17-6 run.

When Ryan came in at 11:05, it was 58-45 BC. He hit a layup, missed a layup. missed two FTs and committed two fouls and left at 5:54 with Penn down 66-52.

While it may be difficult this season to replace Ryan's instant offense (he was sort of a prototypical sub - one dimensonal but very good at that one dimension) it won't be difficult to replace his assists, ball movement, ball handling, foul shooting and defense.

The major challenge will be what to do if Zoller or Danley, who are not 35-a-night guys to begin with, get hurt or in foul trouble. Losing Ryan may lead to a lot of wacky lineups next season....

SomeGuy 
Professor

07-21-05 12:12 PM - Post#8877    
    In response to Howard Gensler

I agree about wacky lineups. We're going to be a little thinner up front then we usually are with our prototypical Ivy league 15 man bench. Pettinella's departure could mean that Ebede, Franklin, and McMahon are seriously in the mix at the 4, particularly if somebody were to get hurt. Even without an injury, I wouldn't be surprised if Votel and Lewis are exclusively 5s this year, spelling Danley, simply b/c that's a position where freshmen tend to foul an awful lot.

The impact may be felt in the backcourt as well. If Pettinella was around to play a lot of minutes up front, we might have been able to get away with starting Oz, Ibby, and Whitehurst at the same time. I have trouble seeing those 3 guys on the floor at the same time for serious stretches without a little more size at the 4.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

07-21-05 05:25 PM - Post#8878    
    In response to SomeGuy

Then my guess is you're going to have a fair amount of trouble this season as I expect we will see three guards on the floor a lot.

SomeGuy 
Professor

07-21-05 05:55 PM - Post#8879    

It's just that Oz doesn't provide as much defensive size and rebounding as the guys we've had at the 3 going back quite some time. Even Langel was a better rebounder, in my opinion, when he'd slide to the 3.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

07-21-05 06:28 PM - Post#8880    
    In response to SomeGuy

All you lose up front is Jan, who isn't hard to replace! Pettinella wasn't a major factor last year, and the freshman really can't be much worse defensively (which is where subs are most important inside).

Honestly, I'd much rather see Franklin or the frosh Big Men get the minutes at this point anyway, rather than a Junior that hasn't shown the ability to contribute consistently.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

One two three
07-22-05 03:19 AM - Post#8881    
    In response to SomeGuy

Don't get hung up on the heights. Barry Pierce played the 3 quite effectively at Penn and he was minimally bigger than David Whitehurst.

If Oz is out on the court, he will probably be the 1 on offense with Ibby at the 2 and David on the wing. They'll probably match up defensively based on size and speed and should be okay unless they're playing a team with a 6-7 wing forward who can really play. At that point, maybe you try some Franklin or Ebede on the wing. Now if McMahon comes in and is ready to roll, problem solved. Otherwise, it will probably be three athletic guards and I like David on the wing, popping threes from the corner. If he improves his handle and can start to take his man off the dribble or add the Barry Pierce baseline jumper off the power dribble, he'll be a very tough guy to cover.

As for Oz, I think he's a very good defender and he's big enough to play anyone up to about 6-6. His rebounding was weak last year but he was rebounding from the PG spot and was probably more concerned with getting back on defense. But David and Ibby are probably both better rebounders - especially on the offensive boards.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: One two three
07-25-05 07:01 AM - Post#8882    

I think if Oz can get healthy and stay healthy you will see his full talents emerge. Thereis alot there that came out a for just a few injury free games last year.

With respect to Ryan - he just did not perform in games - sure he is fast and has some offensive moves - but he was not very complete. Others have pointed those weaknesses already. Meanwhile, Danley is doing all sorts of funky moves in the low post, making game winning driving dunks, and showing some serious spirit out there - some real heart.

As far as athletes on Penn - there is a guy named Ibby, and Whitehurt, and Free - when Oz is healthy he is quite an athlete...

I really think Ryan and his pop would have been best off just saying it did not work out and move on. This burnng of bridges when your boat is full of holes will end up getting you sunk on the river of life. Blaming others for your failure to perform is weak. If any of his stats were good - did you ever consider that he played a lot of garbage time - so some stats were fluffed up, yet some real skill stats still were awful, like FT % and assists, etc. If he has problems at Cinnci - don't you think Huggins may recall how ryan's last coach was treated?

Anyway best of luck to ryan in the future - hopefully he will learn and grow from this - and the bottom line is that he will be misssed, we will just never know how much...

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: One two three
07-25-05 10:49 AM - Post#8883    
    In response to Quaker Fan

The most revealing statistic was the one posted by ivybasketball.com in their article e.g. Cincy averaged only 1.4 more possessions a game than Penn last year. Cincy never struck me as a run and gun team. The stats bear that out.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.166 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:02 PM